HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 1:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The problem on the A50 Pont des Draveurs has been fixed and things are back to normal.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The problem on the A50 Pont des Draveurs has been fixed and things are back to normal.
That was crazy. Took me an hour and ten minutes from the St. Joseph ramp to my place in near la Verendrye and Main on Monday...

Then last night as I headed to Ottawa around 9pm the east bound 50 was backed up from the 5 coming from Hull and Ottawa! Madness!

I really wish they would reconsider the 550 (or 55, cannot remember the route assigned) connection between the 50 and the 5 and the bridge from Paiement to the Aviation Parkway.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 12:53 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Q&A: New LED street lights may disrupt sleep, increase light pollution

Tom Spears, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: May 29, 2014, Last Updated: May 29, 2014 5:40 PM EDT

Ottawa has converted 700 streetlights on Carling Avenue to LED (light-emitting diode) technology, changing the look of the street at night, dimming views of the stars and perhaps even disrupting your sleep.

We spoke to Robert Dick, University of Ottawa physicist and author of the protocol that governs lighting in Canada’s national parks. He’s a longtime advocate for darker skies

Q. Are Ottawa’s new LED streetlights going to cause more or less light pollution?

A. More, Dick says. He says the LED technology is a cold, harsh light with more glare than the previous technology, and the streetlights are now very bright. As well, “white is actually a very bad colour to use. The blue part, the short wavelength part of the spectrum (part of white light) scatters a lot more,” which makes light go where it’s not wanted — up.

Q. But the sky looks darker with LED lights. Doesn’t that mean less light pollution?

A. “The reason why the sky looks darker is because of the glare from the (new LED) lights. In principle, they don’t allow any light upward. But those LEDs are intensely bright on your retina and your eye responds by closing down the iris and that makes the sky look dark. It looks as though you have a nice dark sky but you’ll also (realize) you don’t see any stars. That’s because your eye isn’t as sensitive” with a smaller pupil.

Q. Does this matter to my everyday life?

A. Yes. LED lights marketed today are a very white light. They contain more blue light than “softer” traditional lights. “The white light, or the blue part of it, affects your circadian rhythm,” he says — the body’s cycle of being awake and sleeping. Scientists at a symposium on sleep disorders at the Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre in 2012 described how blue-white light (also found in computers and cellphones) tricks the brain into thinking it’s daytime, and interferes with the ability to sleep. The warmer colours we see in candles and firelight don’t cause this reaction.

Q. What lighting technology do you like?

A. The old streetlights were high-pressure sodium, “and very good ones, but they were getting old.” He argues new sodium lights are kind to the eyes and are now competitive with LED in energy use. “They produce the same amount of light per watt.”

He says LED lights can also use a light that’s more amber than white, but it’s not sold commercially.

Q. What does city hall say?

A. It strongly disputes Dick’s views. A memo calls them “dark skies friendly” because they have less “trespass” light — light that escapes sideways or upward. It also says the LED lights will save as much as $5.3 million a year million in energy and maintenance.

There’s a tentative plan to convert 67,000 streetlights to LED in years to come. The next council would have to approve it.

Dick was a Carleton University physics professor. He retired and now teaches part time at U of O.

Photos of old lighting, left, with new LED street lights on the right, taken on Carling Ave. looking east from the Civic Campus of Ottawa Hospital in Ottawa, Wednesday evening, May 28, 2014. The city has replaced the old-style street lights with LEDs for expected energy savings. Both pictures exposed equally, 4 seconds f/8 ISO 200.
Mike Carroccetto / Ottawa Citizen

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...tion-physicist

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 1:41 AM

OHMYF**KINGFLIPPINGGOD. Ottawa's getting dead children reactivity to f**king LED street lights??

I never thought Ottawa would stoop to such a low.

LED streets lights ARE ONE OF THE GREATEST THINGS EVER. They look so much nicer than the orange crap. And they're brighter on the ground which means increased safety. And they save money. And they're better for the environment.

Kingston has recently committed to replacing its entire municipal street light inventory with LEDs. They started last summer and they've already replaced almost all lights in the downtown area. A huge improvement, in every way. Walking at night now feels so much safer there (even though statistically it was always very safe).

Here's a page from Utilities Kingston explaining why LEDs are f**king awesome. If only I could get this idiot to read it. http://utilitieskingston.com/StreetlightUpgrades.aspx

How can anyone look at that picture and honestly say the orange hell on the left looks nicer than the clean, natural look on the right?

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 1:52 PM

I have family in North Bay where the entire city switched to LED (Except some decorative fixtures yet to come) a few years ago. It was definitely noticeable at first, but it's very easy to get accustomed to and I don't notice any difference now, with the exception of a small amount of glare from the lights themselves. Theirs are the Phillips Lumec ones, with various sizes for different roads.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Q. Does this matter to my everyday life?

A. Yes. LED lights marketed today are a very white light. They contain more blue light than “softer” traditional lights. “The white light, or the blue part of it, affects your circadian rhythm,” he says — the body’s cycle of being awake and sleeping. Scientists at a symposium on sleep disorders at the Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre in 2012 described how blue-white light (also found in computers and cellphones) tricks the brain into thinking it’s daytime, and interferes with the ability to sleep. The warmer colours we see in candles and firelight don’t cause this reaction.
This is silly. It seems to me that interfering with folks' ability to sleep WHILE ON THE ROAD is a good thing.

If you need to sleep and there are LED lights outside, well, that's what blinds are for.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 2:06 PM
National Capital Region

The streetlights right out front of my window (on the second floor) were replaced by LEDs... took a bit to get used to but don't even notice it anymore.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 2:38 PM

We changed the colour of lights before, so it looks like we are returning to colour that was used in the 70s. Big deal. We adjusted then, we will adjust now.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 5:50 PM

I drove down the length of Carling last night just to see these things.

Sure, the glare of the installation is harsh IF YOU'RE LOOKING DIRECTLY AT IT, but otherwise the light it casts shows the road and sidewalks so much better for drivers, and it's a natural-looking light.

Sodium vapour lights create gloomy, shadowy light conditions, and the uniform colour its glow makes things doesn't help a driver differentiate between objects.

Go figure Ontario cities are doing this. Municipalities trying to get ahead of the game when it comes to steeply rising hydro rates.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 9:52 PM
National Capital Region

Carp Road widening study open house June 17
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public...tal-assessment

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 6:49 PM
National Capital Region

I think I missed this one... Alta Vista Parkway hospital link construction starting Spring 2014
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/planni...-26-march-2014

http://www.ottawaeast.ca/files/avtc-...e-20140315.pdf

Assuming prep work may have started by now?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 2:43 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Assuming prep work may have started by now?
Oh yes, the relocation of the Hydro One transmission towers has been ongoing for several months now.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 10:09 PM
National Capital Region

Bank Street - Leitrim to Rideau widening EA
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgvi...&itemid=318375

The recommended implementation plan is as follows:
Interim Plan Phase 2 (2020-2025)
o Widen Bank Street to four lanes divided from south of Leitrim Road to Findlay
Creek Drive with full cycling and pedestrian facilities (multi-use pathway or
sidewalk and cycle track). This includes improvements at the Bank Street
and Leitrim Road intersection (widening Leitrim Road to four lanes and
extending turn lanes on Bank), and paved shoulders north of Leitrim Road.

Interim Plan Phase 3 (2026-2031)
o Widen Bank Street to four lanes divided from Findlay Creek Drive to Blais
Road with sidewalks and cycle tracks and a roundabout at Blais Road.

Ultimate Plan
o Widen Bank Street to four lanes from Blais Road to Rideau Road and further
improve the Bank Street and Leitrim Road intersection (widening to six
lanes through the intersection). Pedestrians and cyclists are
accommodated on enhanced paved shoulders.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 3:35 AM

Bank Street south of Leitrim is a complete mess. Recent "improvements" including the addition of even more traffic lights makes this a pain to navigate at the best of times, and are a complete waste of money because the road should have been four lanes about 10 years ago.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 4:57 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

West Hunt Club Road and Woodroffe Avenue named Ottawa's most dangerous intersection

Marie-Danielle Smith, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: July 16, 2014, Last Updated: July 16, 2014 8:19 AM EDT

West Hunt Club Road and Woodroffe Avenue was the most dangerous intersection in 2013, with 45 collisions, according to a road traffic report for 2009-2013 released by the City of Ottawa.

Collisions there also caused 16 injuries, two of them major enough to admit patients to hospital, the most of any intersection.

The intersection with the fifth-most collisions, St. Laurent Boulevard and Donald Street, had the second-most injuries, or 13.

Rounding out the top four were three other intersections along Hunt Club Road, at Merivale Road, Riverside Drive and Prince of Wales Drive, with 37, 34 and 32 collisions respectively.

According to the report, the most collisions occurred during the evening rush hour, with nearly 4,000 collisions reported between 3 and 6 p.m. in 2013.

More than a thousand collisions were also reported between 8 and 9 a.m. and over the lunch hour, between noon and 1 p.m.

Over the course of the study, the most collisions occurred on Fridays, or more than 13,300 from 2009 to 2013, and the least occurred on Sundays, or less than 7,000.

More collisions are reported in December and January than other months.

Those aged 20-24 had the most injuries, 459, and fatalities, 6, of any age group in 2013.

Aside from vehicle drivers and passengers, who were the most likely to be injured in a traffic accident, pedestrians were the most likely to suffer injuries.

Five pedestrians died in 2013 collisions and 346 were injured, out of 360 reported accidents involving pedestrians.

Two cyclists were killed and 271 were injured in 335 reported accidents involving bicycles.

There were 15,023 collisions in total in 2013, up from 14,515 in 2012.

msmith@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/mariedanielles

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...s-intersection

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 11:25 PM

That corridor was the most extreme example of poor planning in all of Ottawa. It is often the most congested stretch of roadway as well.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 4:03 PM

Interesting statistics, but are they telling the true story? Are the intersections along Hunt Club really the most dangerous?

I would like to see the volumes of traffic included in the charts so that we can get a better idea of how many accidents there are for the number of intersection traverses. If there is one accident every two weeks at an intersection which sees 50,000 vehicles crossing it every day is that not safer than an intersection which has two accidents in a year but only sees 1,000 vehicles in a day? In the first case, the busy intersection has 26 accidents per year, but only one accident for every 700,000 vehicles passing; in the less busy case, there are only two accidents in the year, but one in 182,500 vehicles crashes.

The intersections along the stretch of Hunt Club Road, between Bank and Greenbank Roads, are where virtually all of the people driving out of Barrhaven and parts south cross when heading north, into the city. Hunt Club, itself, carries a fairly high volume of traffic since it is one of the few west-east connectors across the Rideau River. (Although that may be helped by the opening of the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge, it might also be worsened by connecting Hunt Club to the 417.) With the volumes of traffic passing through the intersections along Hunt Club, it is no surprise that they have the highest absolute accident counts.

I think that what these statistics are really pointing out is that there is need of a large, limited access, conduit for traffic from the south to the north to safely carry the bulk of the traffic; a road that is between the 416 and the eastern 417, perhaps following the river. But it is unlikely that that could ever be built.

Looking at the intersections with the most collisions in 2013, I see, counting down from the worst, Hunt Club, Hunt Club, Hunt Club, and Hunt Club in the first four positions where Hunt Club is crossed by Barrhaven traffic. Then I see St. Laurent and St. Laurent in positions five and six; which is another busy north-south road. Then briefly back to Hunt Club and Hunt Club for spots seven and nine; although there accident numbers are slightly lower as Greenbank is a bit further west and Bank a bit further east than the main desire line of the traffic.

The above intersections all suffer from large traffic volumes of north-south traffic and a solution to this would be very expensive. However, the intersections in spot eight and tied for spot nine are interesting, Blair Road and the 174 west-bound off-ramp and Blair at Ogilvie Road, respectively. Granted the intersection of the 174 west-bound off-ramp is a bit of a mess with the weave between vehicles coming off the 174 to get to Ogilvie and vehicles trying to turn into the Commerce Park, but I think that the off-ramp traffic is a lot of the same traffic which is going through the Ogilvie Road intersection; likely turning left onto Ogilvie. I think that I would group these two intersections and deal with the problem of too much traffic from the east trying to get onto the Aviation Parkway. I say that the traffic is likely headed for the Aviation Parkway because the intersection of Ogilvie and St. Laurent (which we know to also be a very busy road) is not listed as a problem spot.

I think that adding free-flow ramps directly from the 174 to the Aviation Parkway would help solve the problems along Blair. Better still, complete the interchange so that there are direct ramps from and to all directions, like thus:

The colours represent the direction that the vehicle is leaving; Blue is west, Green is south, Fuchsia is east, and Red is north. The curves are large for high speeds and diverges happen before any merges - so no weaving.

This would also make it much easier for connections to the new Inter-provincial Bridge when it is finally constructed.

Getting back to the worst intersections, where and how would any of you solve the volume of traffic coming from the Barrhaven area heading north? Riverside connected to Nicholas? Prince of Wales and the Champagne Corridor?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
Interesting statistics, but are they telling the true story? Are the intersections along Hunt Club really the most dangerous?

I would like to see the volumes of traffic included in the charts so that we can get a better idea of how many accidents there are for the number of intersection traverses. If there is one accident every two weeks at an intersection which sees 50,000 vehicles crossing it every day is that not safer than an intersection which has two accidents in a year but only sees 1,000 vehicles in a day? In the first case, the busy intersection has 26 accidents per year, but only one accident for every 700,000 vehicles passing; in the less busy case, there are only two accidents in the year, but one in 182,500 vehicles crashes.

The intersections along the stretch of Hunt Club Road, between Bank and Greenbank Roads, are where virtually all of the people driving out of Barrhaven and parts south cross when heading north, into the city. Hunt Club, itself, carries a fairly high volume of traffic since it is one of the few west-east connectors across the Rideau River. (Although that may be helped by the opening of the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge, it might also be worsened by connecting Hunt Club to the 417.) With the volumes of traffic passing through the intersections along Hunt Club, it is no surprise that they have the highest absolute accident counts.

I think that what these statistics are really pointing out is that there is need of a large, limited access, conduit for traffic from the south to the north to safely carry the bulk of the traffic; a road that is between the 416 and the eastern 417, perhaps following the river. But it is unlikely that that could ever be built.

Looking at the intersections with the most collisions in 2013, I see, counting down from the worst, Hunt Club, Hunt Club, Hunt Club, and Hunt Club in the first four positions where Hunt Club is crossed by Barrhaven traffic. Then I see St. Laurent and St. Laurent in positions five and six; which is another busy north-south road. Then briefly back to Hunt Club and Hunt Club for spots seven and nine; although there accident numbers are slightly lower as Greenbank is a bit further west and Bank a bit further east than the main desire line of the traffic.

The above intersections all suffer from large traffic volumes of north-south traffic and a solution to this would be very expensive. However, the intersections in spot eight and tied for spot nine are interesting, Blair Road and the 174 west-bound off-ramp and Blair at Ogilvie Road, respectively. Granted the intersection of the 174 west-bound off-ramp is a bit of a mess with the weave between vehicles coming off the 174 to get to Ogilvie and vehicles trying to turn into the Commerce Park, but I think that the off-ramp traffic is a lot of the same traffic which is going through the Ogilvie Road intersection; likely turning left onto Ogilvie. I think that I would group these two intersections and deal with the problem of too much traffic from the east trying to get onto the Aviation Parkway. I say that the traffic is likely headed for the Aviation Parkway because the intersection of Ogilvie and St. Laurent (which we know to also be a very busy road) is not listed as a problem spot.

I think that adding free-flow ramps directly from the 174 to the Aviation Parkway would help solve the problems along Blair. Better still, complete the interchange so that there are direct ramps from and to all directions, like thus:

The colours represent the direction that the vehicle is leaving; Blue is west, Green is south, Fuchsia is east, and Red is north. The curves are large for high speeds and diverges happen before any merges - so no weaving.

This would also make it much easier for connections to the new Inter-provincial Bridge when it is finally constructed.

Getting back to the worst intersections, where and how would any of you solve the volume of traffic coming from the Barrhaven area heading north? Riverside connected to Nicholas? Prince of Wales and the Champagne Corridor?
I've always thought - although in many cases difficult - grade-separated interchanges are necessary on the Hunt Club corridor. But the space may not be there for at least some of them.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 2:09 AM

I used to live in Calgary. They have a handful of grade-separated roads where the busier of the two roads has free-flowing traffic and the less busy road gets the intersections.

Best example I could remember is this:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.06700.../data=!3m1!1e3

They also made full interchanges out of a few pretty busy roads as well. I think it's a bit much but the roads were busy when I lived there and with a lot of new housing around it, in the long run it'll probably be a good idea that they built big to begin with:
Keep in mind this would be like a Woodroffe and Fallowfield type volume or roads meeting
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.14356.../data=!3m1!1e3

Favourite Example
This is something I could see in Ottawa. Would reduce collisions and keep traffic flowing:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.08990.../data=!3m1!1e3

Edit: Imagine if the Airport Parkway and Hunt Club intersection was Hunt Club and POW, but have Hunt Club free flow and the intersection would be for vehicles exiting Hunt Club to go on POW and vice versa.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
I used to live in Calgary. They have a handful of grade-separated roads where the busier of the two roads has free-flowing traffic and the less busy road gets the intersections.

Best example I could remember is this:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.06700.../data=!3m1!1e3

They also made full interchanges out of a few pretty busy roads as well. I think it's a bit much but the roads were busy when I lived there and with a lot of new housing around it, in the long run it'll probably be a good idea that they built big to begin with:
Keep in mind this would be like a Woodroffe and Fallowfield type volume or roads meeting
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.14356.../data=!3m1!1e3

Favourite Example
This is something I could see in Ottawa. Would reduce collisions and keep traffic flowing:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.08990.../data=!3m1!1e3.
That 3rd example you posted is very similar to the design of the Hunt Club & Airport Parkway interchange.

Comparisons to Calgary should be made with caution. One thing about Calgary, and Western Canada in general, is that the distinction between expressways and arterials is a lot more blurry, it's common out west to find roads with the look & feel of an expressway that have the odd traffic light, and to find arterials with the odd grade separated interchange. It would be like if Highway 417 had traffic lights at Bank & Bronson but then Innes had interchanges at Blair & Tenth Line. Whereas here in Ontario the road hierarchy is much stricter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation