HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 9:13 PM
Armchair urbanist

Add Montreal to that list.

A LRT line from the U of M to the Forks would almost be a must if the stadium was built at that location. Unless you're coming from the South or West, commuting can be cumbersome.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 10:49 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
Add Montreal to that list.

A LRT line from the U of M to the Forks would almost be a must if the stadium was built at that location. Unless you're coming from the South or West, commuting can be cumbersome.
Totally forgot about McGill. If the posibility for Halifax was to arrive id say do the University/CFL thing have he Pro and Amateur Football in one.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
This stadium design i think was part of Canad Inns was it not? Other then the idea they had over in st b.
It was the Bombers own rendering if I remember correctly. Leo's CI bid was for a domed stadium at the Old Packer's site.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 11:58 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geebrr View Post
It was the Bombers own rendering if I remember correctly. Leo's CI bid was for a domed stadium at the Old Packer's site.
Ahh wasnt sure if it was Bombers + Canad Inns.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 5:12 AM
ABOVE people like you

Stall.......adium

Where is Asper at with the new stadium. He has pretty much thrown out a bunch of darts and dates and nothing seems to have stuck. Does anyone know what his next move will be on the stall.....adium.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Crane View Post
Where is Asper at with the new stadium. He has pretty much thrown out a bunch of darts and dates and nothing seems to have stuck. Does anyone know what his next move will be on the stall.....adium.
U of M...try reading through at least the last few pages of a thread dedicated exclusively to this topic, probably will give you the best information.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2008, 4:57 AM
Movin' on up

Stadium not in cash flow

Manitoba signed an 11th-hour infrastructure agreement with the federal government yesterday as an election in Ottawa looms, but it does not appear as though a similar last-minute agreement to fund a football stadium will be signed before the writ drops.

Manitoba became the last province in the country -- albeit the third in a week -- to sign on to the Building Canada Fund, an infrastructure program that will see federal money used to build roads, bridges, sewers and other projects.

Manitoba will get $279 million from the fund, $141 million of which will go to the Red River Floodway expansion.

Another $41 million is set aside for projects in communities other than the Winnipeg area, leaving just under $100 million that has yet to be allocated.

Some possibilities for that money include new infrastructure at Winnipeg's airport, highway interchanges along the Perimeter, and upgrades to the south Winnipeg water treatment plant.

However, it cannot be used for funding a football stadium, said Treasury Board President Vic Toews, Manitoba's senior government MP.

Toews, Premier Gary Doer, and federal Infrastructure Minister Lawrence Cannon all downplayed the significance of signing the agreement yesterday with an election call expected tomorrow, but Cannon did say it's better to have things wrapped up before Parliament is dissolved.

When asked whether federal funding for a football stadium in Winnipeg would also be secured before the election, Toews said there is still no agreement on the table for him to sign.

'WON'T HAPPEN'

He didn't say what might happen to stadium negotiations should the Conservatives lose the election, but added "I wouldn't think that's going to happen."

The province also announced yesterday it will pump $85 million -- half federal money, half provincial -- into upgrades for Highway 75.

Hmmm, hell must have frozen over for the government to consider building interchanges.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2008, 5:54 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Stadium not in cash flow

Manitoba signed an 11th-hour infrastructure agreement with the federal government yesterday as an election in Ottawa looms, but it does not appear as though a similar last-minute agreement to fund a football stadium will be signed before the writ drops.

Manitoba became the last province in the country -- albeit the third in a week -- to sign on to the Building Canada Fund, an infrastructure program that will see federal money used to build roads, bridges, sewers and other projects.

Manitoba will get $279 million from the fund, $141 million of which will go to the Red River Floodway expansion.

Another $41 million is set aside for projects in communities other than the Winnipeg area, leaving just under $100 million that has yet to be allocated.

Some possibilities for that money include new infrastructure at Winnipeg's airport, highway interchanges along the Perimeter, and upgrades to the south Winnipeg water treatment plant.

However, it cannot be used for funding a football stadium, said Treasury Board President Vic Toews, Manitoba's senior government MP.

Toews, Premier Gary Doer, and federal Infrastructure Minister Lawrence Cannon all downplayed the significance of signing the agreement yesterday with an election call expected tomorrow, but Cannon did say it's better to have things wrapped up before Parliament is dissolved.

When asked whether federal funding for a football stadium in Winnipeg would also be secured before the election, Toews said there is still no agreement on the table for him to sign.

'WON'T HAPPEN'

He didn't say what might happen to stadium negotiations should the Conservatives lose the election, but added "I wouldn't think that's going to happen."

The province also announced yesterday it will pump $85 million -- half federal money, half provincial -- into upgrades for Highway 75.

Hmmm, hell must have frozen over for the government to consider building interchanges.
Wow... just... just wow...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2008, 6:50 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post

Look for a future anouncement for the Kenaston Blvd extension to the Perimeter Hywy to include an interchange. This is deemed as a future trucking route to the growing airport district and Inkster Park. Route 90 will see many upgrades over the next few years.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2008, 3:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Look for a future anouncement for the Kenaston Blvd extension to the Perimeter Hywy to include an interchange. This is deemed as a future trucking route to the growing airport district and Inkster Park. Route 90 will see many upgrades over the next few years.
Are you just making all this "fluffy, feelgood, Manitoba/Winnipeg will soon become economic powerhouses very very soon" stuff up as you go along, or do you have concrete evidence to back up these seemingly hollow statments of yours? From what I am seeing, Manitoba is nowhere near becoming a strong economic player on a continental scale, in comparison with say BC, Alberta or Saskatchewan. I would love to see some evidence to prove me wrong, however.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2008, 9:19 PM
Back from the dead

As far as I know, the Kenaston interchange at the Perimeter is years away and is contingent on development of Waverley West reaching a certain level of completion. They could do it sooner of course but I imagine they would also like to extend Kenaston south east to link with 75. I'm just guessing of course but in any event, the province probably doesn't want to blow this cash on that interchange in particular. If anything, when they refer to interchanges on the Perimeter they're probably talking about the one at Lagimodiere in particular. The McGilivray and Perimeter junction might also be on the books since there have been calls to see it upgraded.

Who knows really...the whole highway needs to be upgraded to free-flow status. Considering that that was the plan when it was first started 50 years ago you'd think that we could have kept pace with the average third world city. I guess I'm dreaming too big for this town.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2008, 11:08 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus41 View Post
Are you just making all this "fluffy, feelgood, Manitoba/Winnipeg will soon become economic powerhouses very very soon" stuff up as you go along, or do you have concrete evidence to back up these seemingly hollow statments of yours? From what I am seeing, Manitoba is nowhere near becoming a strong economic player on a continental scale, in comparison with say BC, Alberta or Saskatchewan. I would love to see some evidence to prove me wrong, however.
Jesus Christ man, take a pill...

Old Posted Sep 7, 2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus41 View Post
Hey Markus, go play in your own little Edmonton forum... Leave this forum to people who actually care about Winnipeg. I have a lot I could say about Edmondchuk (good and bad) but don't out of respect. Every city has something good about it!

FYI, take Oil & Gas out of your economy. Where would Edmonton be at then??? Please stay away for everyone's sake..

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 1:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegger5 View Post
FYI, take Oil & Gas out of your economy. Where would Edmonton be at then???
Better off than Calgary would be if you take Oil and Gas out of their economy.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 3:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Asper's demands were pretty basic, give me money so I can build a stadium, give me the land the stadium sits on so I can develop it commercially (or sell it if I like), oh, and give me the team for free as well so I can run it for you.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 8:37 PM
Back from the dead

^
You know, it sounds so bad when YOU say it.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 2:04 AM
ABOVE people like you

Stall..adium

So looking back at Aspers first announcement would have had the original new stadium on the existing site half built by now. I can't figure out what his angle is yet. I guess we wait for his next proposal built with other peoples money and on others peoples land and have the City supply all the new utility infrastructure. All at no cost to him.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 4:48 AM

Asper, U of M plan announcement at Bison game
Updated: September 12 at 08:20 PM CDT

Canwest executive vice-president David Asper and University of Manitoba president David Barnard are making an announcement during halftime at Saturday’s Bison Homecoming football game.
The announcement is expected to be given at University Stadium around 3 p.m.
No other details are available.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 4:57 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
So looking back at Aspers first announcement would have had the original new stadium on the existing site half built by now. I can't figure out what his angle is yet. I guess we wait for his next proposal built with other peoples money and on others peoples land and have the City supply all the new utility infrastructure. All at no cost to him.
Getting the Blue Bombers for free... $0
Building a new Stadium at not cost... $0
Making sure that no money comes out of Asper's pocket... Priceless

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 7:20 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Stadium finds home at U of M
Blue Bombers head south as Asper picks campus field

By: Bartley Kives

Updated: September 13 at 02:55 AM CDT

After starting at Polo Park and rushing past South Point Douglas, David Asper will announce today that he will build his field of dreams at the University of Manitoba.

Asper's Creswin Properties has signed a letter of intent to build a new home for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers near the existing home of the U of M Bisons -- a vacant field at the northwest corner of Chancellor Matheson Drive and University Crescent.

Asper wants to build a partly covered bowl at the U of M, using the same design previously proposed for Polo Park and South Point Douglas, according to sources familiar with the negotiations between Creswin and the university.

The deal is not complete, as the provincial and federal governments have yet to sign on. But sources say the U of M has agreed to provide the land, Asper will contribute more than the $40 million he pledged for the Polo Park site and the city is prepared to allow Creswin to develop commercial property at the existing site of Canad Inns Stadium -- and use that development to fund the stadium and franchise.

No price tag has been floated, but earlier estimates for the Creswin stadium design -- which includes a bubble to cover the playing surface during the winter -- have ranged from $125 million to $150 million.

Unlike the Polo Park plan, the U of M stadium would include what sources are describing as "a significant amateur sports component," which would make the proposal more palatable to the federal government.

Conservative cabinet ministers have ruled out funding a facility that would be used solely for CFL games.

A new stadium at the U of M would also provide a new home for the Vanier Cup-champion Bisons, whose younger players are salivating about the prospects about playing at a new building.

"I was speechless when I heard this. I thought it was a joke," said Bison running back Matt Henry, who hopes the stadium could be built in time for his final year of eligibility in 2010.

"It couldn't be better for our university. It's exactly what we need. It's an awesome, perfect location."

While Asper's Polo Park plan died due to disinterest from Ottawa, city hall sources say the South Point Douglas alternative floated by Katz proved impossible due to the difficulty of assembling land in the neighbourhood, the cost of building new roads and infrastructure and proposal's close proximity to the banks of the Red River.

The city still plans to pursue a redevelopment in South Point Douglas, which developers and residents hope to see rezoned as a mixed-use neighbourhood capable of supporting housing.

"We hope we can get that done as soon as possible," said Curtis Street resident Jeff Monk, whose house would have been demolished to make way for a parking lot if the South Point Douglas stadium proposal went ahead.

According to speculation at city hall, the city and provincial plan to build a $327-million bus corridor from downtown to the U of M -- which Katz and Premier Gary Doer announced on Monday -- had to be in place before Asper could pursue plans to build a south Winnipeg stadium.

The mayor and premier have both said they preferred to see a new Winnipeg football stadium grace Winnipeg, but a bus corridor makes a suburban facility more politically palatable.

An announcement by Asper is planned for halftime during the U of M Bisons' homecoming game this afternoon against the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds.

Asper could not be reached for comment Friday. A spokesman for Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz declined to comment, while a spokesman for Doer said the province will wait to see what Asper proposes today.

Winnipeg South MP Rod Bruinooge said he would support a new football stadium at the U of M, noting senior Manitoba Conservative MP Vic Toews has promised to look for $15 million for the project if it includes a significant amateur-sport component.

John Loewen, the Liberal candidate for Winnipeg South, said he, too, likes the idea but said he was not in position to make a specific funding pledge.

bartley.kives@freepress.mb.ca

Four years, five stadium locations

As David Asper prepares to announce he's settled on a new stadium at the University of Manitoba, here's a look at the locations touted as the new home for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

1. RED RIVER EXHIBITION

First proposed: November 2004

Location: West of the Perimeter Highway, on the existing Red River Ex grounds.

Proponents: The Winnipeg Football Club, the Red River Exhibition and the Canad Inns hotel chain.

Proposal died: After Manitoba Premier Gary Doer and Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz made it clear they had no interest in funding a stadium so far from most of the city's population.

2. POLO PARK

First proposed: January 2007

Proponent: David Asper's Creswin Properties.

Proposal died: When Ottawa made it clear it was not prepared to spend money on a facility that would primarily be used for professional football.

3. PUBLIC MARKETS

First proposed: March 2007

Proponent: The Canad Inns hotel chain.

Proposal died: When the Winnipeg Football Club ended a formal selection process by choosing to work with Creswin Properties to develop a new stadium.

4. SOUTH POINT DOUGLAS

First proposed: June 2008

Location: Northeast of downtown, just east of the Disraeli Freeway and south of the CPR Keewatin line.

Proponent: Creswin Properties.

Proposal died: Today, as Asper is slated to announce he's signed a letter of intent to build a stadium at the U of M.

5. UNIVERSITY

OF MANITOBA

First proposed: Today.

Location: The northwest corner of Chancellor Matheson Drive and University Crescent.

Proponents: Creswin and the U of M.

Proposal died: This is Winnipeg. Let's hope it makes it past Halloween.

- Bartley Kives
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...-4863623c.html

-----

Well... that came out of left field...

Now, I'm not so sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan