HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 4:04 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

more construction picks from the james2010 peeps
Video Link

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 4:12 AM
Movin' on up

Just reading the shitloads of new non-stop routes and route enhancements by Westjet for pretty much every city serviced, except Winnipeg, really is confirming my belief that they are indeed waiting for the new terminal to be complete. I mean really; you expect me to believe that enhancements to service in Deer Lake, NF takes priority over Winnipeg?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 4:57 AM
Starring as himself

Deer Lake is probably a pretty lucrative route since Newfoundlanders fly a lot -- driving off the island isn't too convenient -- and it is the airport for Cornerbrook and the western part of the island. Wouldn't surprise me if Fort McMurray/Edmonton-Deer Lake is as busy a "route" as many Winnipeg flights are for Westjet.

There seemed to be noticeably fewer Toronto-Winnipeg flights when I was booking Xmas tickets home. The evening Wpg-Toronto flight that I've taken for decades seems to have disappeared from AC's schedule, unless it was sold out every single night that I looked at.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if Fort McMurray/Edmonton-Deer Lake is as busy a "route" as many Winnipeg flights are for Westjet.
Surprisingly, I just don't buy that.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 7:07 PM

No More

Not enough gates today to accomidate. WAA has said this over and over. You won't hear anything new until new airport is open... You need a gate for those 737's

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 7:15 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Just reading the shitloads of new non-stop routes and route enhancements by Westjet for pretty much every city serviced, except Winnipeg, really is confirming my belief that they are indeed waiting for the new terminal to be complete. I mean really; you expect me to believe that enhancements to service in Deer Lake, NF takes priority over Winnipeg?
Yeah .. I agree with the above statements. The current airport terminal is definately holding Winnipeg back. The WAA has said over and over again thet the are running way beyond capacity .. and unless new flights want to fill very late slots, its just not going to happen.

I predict once the new terminal is preparing to open (this time next year).. there will be a number of new flight announcements. I have no doubt that the new terminal building will offer Winnipeg much greater flight service.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 5:45 PM
ILYR

For those interested new construction updates have been posted on the http://www.james2010.ca/ site.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 7:58 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Is it just me or does anyone else find 'Carly' the James2010 girl to be hot?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 8:00 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

From James2010.ca

This was interesting..

A Historic Flight Jan 06, 2009
Good morning everyone!

Since I started working at the airport, I have learned a lot about our history as a city, and as a province. The airport has played a key role in so many important events in our past. One of these important events is the mail route that began between Winnipeg and Edmonton 80 years ago (there was also an international airmail route to Grand Forks I think but that’s another story!)

Check out this article from meridianbooster.com- it’s a great story!

"Aviation milestone takes flight

Posted By Graham Mason

The Alberta Aviation Museum in Edmonton is celebrating the 80th anniversary of airmail service from Winnipeg to Edmonton with a frosty winter flight in a vintage biplane.

Lloydminster is one of the scheduled stops on the way.

The plane is a fabric-covered Kelly-D biplane. It has two open cockpits, a modern four-cylinder engine, and weighs in at only 950 pounds.

Tom Hinderks and Curtis Peters will co-pilot with the help of some battery-powered socks and duct-taped fuselage to keep out some of the 75 mile-per-hour winds on the 1,300-kilometre trip.

The trip began on schedule on Dec. 2 but the plane has been grounded in Manitoba due to bad weather after the first leg. The pilots have been sent home to wait until they get the word to continue.

“The airplane is in excellent condition and ready to fly, but we are dependent on weather in order to make the trip safely,” said Hinderks. “This situation is disappointing, but it point up the large part played by the weather in the early days of aviation, and which continues today.”

The original flight was made on Dec. 10, 1928. As part of the commemoration, the plane will also carry letters from civic officials.

A World War One pilot, fittingly named Punch Dickens, flew the Fokker Super Universal aircraft for Western Canada Airways. He landed in what is now the Edmonton City Centre Airport carrying mail from Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon and North Battleford.

Postage for regular mail on that first flight cost five cents.

It’s also approaching the 100th anniversary of the Silver Dart’s historic 1909 flight in Baddeck, Nova Scotia.

The spirit of Edmonton project is a joint venture of the Alberta Aviation Museum and the Edmonton Aviation Heritage Society. "

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
me too, i think it's the dimples

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 8:26 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Pictures?!?!?!?!?!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 8:33 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Pictures?!?!?!?!?!
http://www.james2010.ca/blog (She has an animated gif of her posing, you can't miss it).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 3:45 AM
iron ring

Perhaps more significantly, it appears WestJet is going to operate a 2x weekly nonstops to Orlando this winter. I don't recall seeing any press releases, and it appears to be a fairly short-season addition to their winter schedule, so it would appear they're testing the waters on this run. I think that's excellent news, as Florida is one of the markets most obviously ripe for developing from YWG.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 7:38 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Yeah she is very cute.. a very good looking girl with a very good looking building.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 7:52 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrj View Post
Perhaps more significantly, it appears WestJet is going to operate a 2x weekly nonstops to Orlando this winter. I don't recall seeing any press releases, and it appears to be a fairly short-season addition to their winter schedule, so it would appear they're testing the waters on this run. I think that's excellent news, as Florida is one of the markets most obviously ripe for developing from YWG.
When did this start? I don't recall seeing a news release about this route.

Links?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 5:03 PM

Quote:
When did this start? I don't recall seeing a news release about this route.

Links?
Based on Westjet's website the flight starts the first Wednesday in February and ends the first Friday in April. The second flight on Friday is only for a couple of weeks most likely added to capture the crowd for spring break for the last two weeks of March.

Also, Westjet has either converted a charter flight and/or added a direct flight to Puerto Vallarta on Thursdays for the winter season.

I did not see any news release on either of these changes.

Hope all the Winnipeg forumers take advantage and use the flights because full planes will lead to more future flights...and the prices for the above flights seem to be very reasonable.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 7:50 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Yeah she is very cute.. a very good looking girl with a very good looking building.
Hahaha...

After getting her to ride the old bone rollercoaster you and Carly could snuggle up and talk about the architecture of the airport. Now that's my kinda woman.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 10:49 PM

West Jet non-stop Winnipeg-Orlando

Here is the news item on the new (temporary) route.

CTV News

Quote:
Call it white snow to Snow White. Calgary based carrier WestJet just made it a whole lot easier to escape the cold.On Monday, the airline announced the launch of direct flights from Winnipeg to Orlando, Florida.The non-stop route is a limited time offering. The first flight takes off on February 4, 2009.They'll fly every Wednesday between Feb. 4, to March 12, 2009, and Wednesdays and Fridays between March 13, and April 3, 2009. There is no word whether this service will be back in following years."Winnipeg has been loyal to WestJet, so when we saw the opportunity to introduce weekly flights to Orlando, we jumped on it," said Bob Cummings, WestJet Executive Vice-President of Guest Experience and Marketing. "I hope Winnipeggers take advantage of this limited-time service to escape the winter blues, enjoy a well-deserved spring break and take the family to Walt Disney World."

With the addition of this new route, WestJet becomes the only carrier in Canada to fly non-stop service between Winnipeg and Orlando. The launch of the new route also marks WestJet's first ever scheduled non-stop service from Winnipeg to Florida. WestJet recently launched non-stop flights to the Mexican hot spots of Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 11:04 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metonymy View Post
Here is the news item on the new (temporary) route.

CTV News
Interesting. I'd love to see the looks on peoples faces at Orlando International, wondering where the hell is Winnipeg at the arrivals screens.

More of the reason why we can't wait until the new terminal opens, with a potential list of routes not only around North America, but around the world!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 11:17 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
More of the reason why we can't wait until the new terminal opens, with a potential list of routes not only around North America, but around the world!
Yes, once the new terminal opens up, I'd imagine that more non-stop domestic and international routes will be announced, making Winnipeg a little more well known on a global scale.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan