HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 11:12 PM

If you look at many larger cities that serve as economic hubs they typically have no college they endorse, either because the colleges are a bit smaller (e.g University of Denver), or because there's many of them, and I think that helps a place stand out as being more than just a place with a college. Many times the city revolves around the college, instead of vice versa.

I think a college would be great for IF, but the positive in having it now rather than earlier, is the city is already established without the college, so having one come in now would mean there's no dependency on it.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 8:02 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
If you look at many larger cities that serve as economic hubs they typically have no college they endorse, either because the colleges are a bit smaller (e.g University of Denver), or because there's many of them, and I think that helps a place stand out as being more than just a place with a college. Many times the city revolves around the college, instead of vice versa.

I think a college would be great for IF, but the positive in having it now rather than earlier, is the city is already established without the college, so having one come in now would mean there's no dependency on it.
problem though is idaho falls IS dependent and became established on something that could severely use a university. the INEL.. without the site over there idaho falls wouldn't be what it is today.. and with the site having a university to draw upon and partner with it would drastically effect growth and the economy over there.
To say idaho falls doesn't need a university to grow is probably true, but if they had one the economic dynamics would change drastically.

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 10:25 PM

Areva received their loan guarantee today. They will be getting a license within the year an possibly begin construction on their INL facilities next year. The loan guarantee was the biggest hurdle to creating more than 5000 new jobs over the next decade. And many of those positions require highly skilled individuals. A great opportunity to recruit from within and without of the IF community.

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Areva received their loan guarantee today. They will be getting a license within the year an possibly begin construction on their INL facilities next year. The loan guarantee was the biggest hurdle to creating more than 5000 new jobs over the next decade. And many of those positions require highly skilled individuals. A great opportunity to recruit from within and without of the IF community.
This is what Idaho Falls needs to get out of the economic glut. More companies will start looking at this area, big and small. This should get the housing market back in line as well.

Now if INL would only start breaking ground on some of there projects on their campus and Taylor Crossing could pull their heads out of their asses, Idaho Falls would be on fire.

By the way, construction has started on the new wind project east of town in the foothills.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 1:17 AM

According to the Idaho Labor Department...

Idaho Falls has now passed Pocatello in population. This makes Idaho Falls the fourth most populus city in Idaho!!!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 4:28 AM

IF probably has another decade or so until Caldwell passes it. Not long until the 4 biggest cities in the state are in the Boise Metro Area.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisekid View Post
IF probably has another decade or so until Caldwell passes it. Not long until the 4 biggest cities in the state are in the Boise Metro Area.
Twin Falls is only 12K behind IF. I'm just glad IF passed Poky. We'll have to see what the next few years bring as I think IF is just 6-12 months away from another growth spurt.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 6:39 AM

I'm always surprised to see Twin's population numbers. It's always bigger than I think. And having lived in Eastern Idaho for a few years, i find it strange how big of a deal it is to people over there whether IF or Poky is bigger. I guess there's nothing better to do on that side of the state than to brag about your town's population (i'm joking of course).

That said, I do see a boom coming Idaho Fall's way again. There's a lot of high paying jobs there and the INL just continues to grow. That and the family-friendly environment spells boom. Also impressive to see Rexburg growing up. It'll be interesting to see if IF-Rigby-Rexburg can become more cohesive over the years. That side of the state has A TON of potential imo

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 4:44 PM
Bring out the cranes...

My wife and I went to Idaho Fall a few weeks ago to spend a few days just to get away. Great little city. We stay at the Hilton. We walked around the downtown area, we saw the falls, we went to "Bear World" It was really cool. I didn't really notice any projects going on this time. However I did notice a 5-story hotel that looks to be unfinished and abandon. Was that the Taylors Crossing- 13 story Marriott? If so what happen?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Last edited by SLC Projects; Jun 29, 2010 at 3:50 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
My wife and I went to Idaho Fall a few weeks ago to spend a few days just to get away. Great little city. We stay at the Hilton. We walked around the downtown area, we saw the falls, we went to "Bear World" It was really cool. I didn't really notice any projects going on this time. However I did notice a 5-story hotel that looks to be unfinished and abandon. Was that the Taylors Crossing- 13 story Marriott? If was what happen?
Yep. There's a few small projects going on, nothing too big right now. Still waiting for the INL Campus to start it's "rebirth", Snake River Landing is building houses and there are a few apartment projects going on but every other project is on hold...probably until the economy wakes up a bit more.

That 5 Story hotel is the Marriott. It's a long story but one of TCs backers went caput when the economy tanked and now they are not only looking for new fianancing for the hotel and other projects, but looking to pay off subcontracts who have worked on the hotel. It's sad really. The whole development will be beautiful when complete, shame they ran into some shady people.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 6:53 PM

We took Sunnyside out to Bone Rd. yesterday to check out the new windmills. It's an odd experience when you come up over the hill and see a landscape of massive windmills spreading in a variety of directions. And by odd I mean amazing. We pulled over by the nearest one and checked it out for a few minutes. Huge. I would estimate they are 250' tall when one of the blades is pointing straight up. And they make a soft swooshing sound as they turn. It's an otherworldly place. We timed a full rotation of the blades at 3 seconds and estimating the length of a blade to be about 80' we came up with a speed (at the tips) of 110 mph pulling 10 g's. I would recommend checking it out if you're in the area. Super easy to get to... Take the Sunnyside exit east and don't turn until you are surrounded by windmills about 10 mi later.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 6:56 AM

I noticed some extra construction related equipment on the north side of the Inn at Sunnyside/I-15. Possibly, more of the Crossroads project is gearing up.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 5:00 AM
The Drifter

I just drove past that area on the way to I-15 after visiting some friends this weekend that live in Ammon. Unfortunatly it was 10pm and already very much dark and wasn't able to see anything. I love IF and have high hopes that it continues to grow. Who knows maybe in time I will be moving back there and join in on the photo updates of construction or of other areas in IF.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 6:09 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy View Post
Twin Falls is only 12K behind IF. I'm just glad IF passed Poky. We'll have to see what the next few years bring as I think IF is just 6-12 months away from another growth spurt.
I will be adding to IF's population in the next year. Will be bringing my family of 5 back to the city where my wife and I first lived after we got married. Only moved to Utah because we wanted to be closer to our families when we found out my wife was pregnant with our first. Now all we want to do is leave this state and go back to where we have friends. IF is one of the friendliest places I have ever lived.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
I will be adding to IF's population in the next year. Will be bringing my family of 5 back to the city where my wife and I first lived after we got married. Only moved to Utah because we wanted to be closer to our families when we found out my wife was pregnant with our first. Now all we want to do is leave this state and go back to where we have friends. IF is one of the friendliest places I have ever lived.
Your family will be contributing to a .1% growth in the population of IF. (Assuming no one leaves that same day.) When's the big move?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 4:20 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Your family will be contributing to a .1% growth in the population of IF. (Assuming no one leaves that same day.) When's the big move?
Not sure on the date of the move as we are trying to get some debt under control and also need to sell our home here. But the plan is to move soon after we get our taxes back in February or March(assuming the house sells soon after taxes come).

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 5:10 PM

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/10...markets/13.htm
Businessweek forecasts IF metro as Idaho's strongest housing market going forward over the next 4 years.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
I think it's lower than .1%. 5/55,000 . .01%?

But it will be a .6% drop in Newton's population. You're almost taking a whole percent from the town!

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 2:55 AM

I've been in Idaho Falls for the weekend for my father's birthday. I have noticed that there have been more windmills constructed!

Also, is the Marriott eyesore going to ever going to be finished?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 4:44 AM

More to come

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West