HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
2119 South Lamar

https://www.chiocodesign.com/project...h-lamar-hotel/

Hotel proposed just behind Loro.

This one's underway I believe. Saw fencing around the site as I passed, and the website now has it listed as under construction.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 5:36 PM

^ I was wondering what was going on. I was just there on Sunday

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 6:56 PM

I like it. It's a modern version of something that might be at home in Miami Beach.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 7:58 PM

Do we know the hotel group yet?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
Do we know the hotel group yet?
I checked the permit history, and didn't see any mention of a hotel operator.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 9:06 PM

I love that it still feels like a motor inn. Modern but fits old Austin vibes

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 4:50 PM

Aren't they remodeling the crappy apartment buildings that are already there to turn it into part of the hotel? I thought I read that somewhere.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Aren't they remodeling the crappy apartment buildings that are already there to turn it into part of the hotel? I thought I read that somewhere.
I think you are right. There is no site plan which would be needed for a new project. But there are a couple other permits that mention non-structural demo and remodel.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 12:59 AM
Frontal Lobe Technician

There's nothing wrong with those apartments. They're pretty old at this point, and they're from a time when everyone didn't expect luxury amenities. Just basic apartments in a good location served by transit for normal people. Not everyone is rich, or wants to pretend to be rich. Some are living on a modest single income, and don't want a roomate.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 7:34 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
There's nothing wrong with those apartments. They're pretty old at this point, and they're from a time when everyone didn't expect luxury amenities. Just basic apartments in a good location served by transit for normal people. Not everyone is rich, or wants to pretend to be rich. Some are living on a modest single income, and don't want a roomate.
Wise words.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 1:57 PM
World Traveler

^ Agreed. I think one thing that will continue to happen is a more realistic approach to housing both in multi-family and single-family housing solutions. There will always be excess in our culture...because 'Murica...but I think a lot of folks are seemingly realizing that enough is sufficient. That doesn't have to mean tiny-home, ascetic lifestyles, but it also doesn't need to mean 3K square feet for a couple with no kids.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
I understand your sentiments but those particular apartments have been in pretty rough physical shape for awhile, not to mention there's been more than a handful of shootings/murders that have happened there over the years.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 8:09 PM

delete

Last edited by austlar1; Jun 17, 2024 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I understand your sentiments but those particular apartments have been in pretty rough physical shape for awhile, not to mention there's been more than a handful of shootings/murders that have happened there over the years.
More than a handful? What does that mean exactly? How many murders make a handful? How many shootings? I was only able to find info on one shooting incident at that location (2015). Don't think it was a fatality. There was a fatal shooting at the much fancier Post Apartment located on the same street a few blocks away back in 2018. I get that you don't like the little apartment complex, but I suspect it has been a cozy home to more than a few tenants with limited means.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 8:40 PM

Redevelopment Concept Now in Review for Shady Grove Site on Barton Springs

Quote:
But even with these challenges, it appears someone is finally thinking seriously about the redevelopment of the Shady Grove site. An unknown developer has submitted a concept study for a new building at the property for assessment by the City Arborist, to determine the potential impact on the site’s heritage trees — we’ve also gotten our hands on it, of course. Keep in mind that this is an extremely abstract feasibility study for what could be built here, not some kind of detailed roadmap for development. Even so, we figured the public might like to see what could potentially rise here.

The concept, assembled on behalf of our mystery developer by prominent local architecture firm Rhode Partners, outlines an approximately 423,000-square-foot multifamily residential building rising eight floors to a maximum height of 85 feet, with a three-level parking podium and a 4,589-square-foot retail space on the ground level with a patio facing Barton Springs Road, likely suitable for a restaurant tenant. As shown in the slide above, at least eight significant trees are within this building concept’s footprint — it’s unclear if any of these trees are eligible for removal with a variance from the city, or if all eight would need to be transplanted elsewhere.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin