HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 9:08 PM
Our Tide is Rising

great news on the condo project! I bet they will all be 3-4 stories...in a perfect world all those would be made into a 15 story condo in downtown Moncton, but this is far from a perfect world haha.

Nice pics too!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 10:44 PM

:: Université de Moncton Stadium ::

Promoters :: Université de Moncton/Moncton city
Cost :: 14 millions
Capacity :: 10 000 seats
Usage :: 2010 International Amateur Athletics

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 11:33 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Sweet! A real asset for the city...

This event will help further thrust Moncton into the national and international eye.

As well the stadium will help draw future large events of its kind and also be a great asset for the city in that it will help foster great new athetes in the Moncton area with these kind of facilities.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post
great news on the condo project! I bet they will all be 3-4 stories...in a perfect world all those would be made into a 15 story condo in downtown Moncton, but this is far from a perfect world haha.

Nice pics too!
You`re right though the new infills as Marriott are welcome. My first concern about that Hotel is not really the height this is more the red bricks "faux heritage look". A bit more of modernity (glass) through the red bricks style could be more suitable to me. Anyway, its just based own my opinion.

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Dec 9, 2007 at 4:50 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 10:56 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Moncton downtown, painting series

Beautiful painting set I found on Flickr. They were done in 2005 and currently reside in a building on Vaughn Harvey.

You can tell the age on this one...(Smart Pizza is now Pizza Girls)

Love this one...reflections are great!

And my personal fav...Funny that 2 buldings pictured here (Crowne Plaza, Gov of Can building) have either had or are in the process of a face lift since this was painted.

credit: zabethanne from flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zabethanne/

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 8:37 PM
You talkin' to me?

No offense on the stadium guys, but I was expecting something a little more spectacular. I know it can be expanded which is great, but its just a track with some bleachers . I suppose 14 million is a good deal considering though.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 8:55 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
No offense on the stadium guys, but I was expecting something a little more spectacular. I know it can be expanded which is great, but its just a track with some bleachers . I suppose 14 million is a good deal considering though.
Well yeah, its nothing amazing, but we need to remember its a track and field stadium, not a soccer stadium or a football stadium...and its being mainly built to host a single event (hopefully it will draw more, and maybe get exanded)...also its being built with 14 million dollars, which these days is not very much for a stadium. I'm happy though.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Well yeah, its nothing amazing, but we need to remember its a track and field stadium, not a soccer stadium or a football stadium...and its being mainly built to host a single event (hopefully it will draw more, and maybe get exanded)...also its being built with 14 million dollars, which these days is not very much for a stadium. I'm happy though.
I agree, this is not a stadium being built for CFL requirements. Moncton is far to be able to draw a CFL franchise. I suppose Quebec, Ottawa, London as well as Halifax going to get a team before Moncton. It would have been useless to get built largest stadium in relation to the needs of the city. Another 15-millions could be necessary to meet CFL standards.

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Dec 9, 2007 at 9:29 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Beautiful painting set I found on Flickr. They were done in 2005 and currently reside in a building on Vaughn Harvey.
Cool painting! Thanks

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
It looks a lot like the Canada Games Stadium in Saint John to be frank, which isn't surprising, but I guess I assumed $14,000,000 could buy more these days.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
It looks a lot like the Canada Games Stadium in Saint John to be frank, which isn't surprising, but I guess I assumed $14,000,000 could buy more these days.
I agree

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 11:05 PM

What capacity the stadium in SJ is ?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 11:16 PM

Right now it holds 5000, but it has been downsized (the removed some of the bleachers to reduce maintenance costs). When it was originally built it held 12000. It cost $3.5 million in 1985 to build a 12000 seat stadium, so I guess $14 million for 10000 seats, 22 years later, isn't too bad.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 11:58 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Heres what the SJ stadium looks like for those who dont know (I didnt)

The main difference I found (besides the extra 5000 seats surrounding it) is that the canopy on the Moncton one is seemingly larger, from what I can tell...but I could be wrong...either way, both great stadiums citys of 125,000 should be proud of.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Right now it holds 5000, but it has been downsized (the removed some of the bleachers to reduce maintenance costs). When it was originally built it held 12000. It cost $3.5 million in 1985 to build a 12000 seat stadium, so I guess $14 million for 10000 seats, 22 years later, isn't too bad.
Its a decent stadium size. Anyway they can add bleachers anytime if they need more capacity. The city/University still could used it for further events, thats great.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Heres what the SJ stadium looks like for those who dont know (I didnt)
Thank you for the pics, I really did not know what the SJ stadium looks like.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 12:23 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Not really development news, but he was a Moncton icon, worth mentioning.

Tomar the tiger put down after lengthy illness
December 08, 2007 - 0:00 am
By: Allan Dearing - News 91.9 Staff

MONCTON, NB - Sad news from the Magnetic Hill Zoo - Greater Moncton's beloved Tomar the tiger has passed away after a lengthy battle with renal failure.

Zoo general manager Bruce Dougan says zoo officials made a decision Friday afternoon to euthanize the big Siberian cat noting his condition worsened quickly over a few days.

Tomar was diagnosed with renal failure in January and vets gave him anywhere from one month to one year to live.

The animal will be laid to rest in the zoo's remembrance garden alongside his mate pasha, who passed away a few years ago.

Tomar was born in 1988 at the Assiniboine Park Zoo in Winnipeg and arrived at the Magnetic Hill Zoo as a five month old cub in April 1989.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 12:24 AM

I would like U de Moncton get a franchise CIS league, it could be great way to draw new students in town.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 12:26 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMtl666 View Post
I would like U de Moncton get a franchise CIS league, it could be great way to draw new students in town.
What do you mean by that? The Aigles Bleus (spelling) are a CIS league...they have hockey, soccer and volleyball.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
What do you mean by that? The Aigles Bleus (spelling) are a CIS league...they have hockey, soccer and volleyball.
Sorry, I forgot the main subject, I talked about football team along Halifax, Mount Allison, Laval, Mcgill ect

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces