HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 6:07 PM

Early Assistance requested by Works Progress Architecture for a new structure at the site of the former Nordstrom at the Lloyd Center:

Quote:
Demo of above grade, existing retail structure and existing sky bridge. Renovation of below grade area and construction of a new, 2-story multi-purpose event structure with loading at grade. Total project square footage to be approx. 67,000 sf, including existing basement. Stormwater to be handled with green roof and mechanical exception. Property line adjustment to northern property line to be handled with a separate application. Discuss process in parallel with voluntary master plan review of adjacent mall property. Review site access for vehicles. Confirm ROW dedication consideration on NE 9th. Confirm existing below grade basement encroachment. Confirm utility availability. Confirm design review criteria for use and in consideration of adjacent plaza under separate ownership.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 6:55 PM
BANNED

Lloyd center is always in “planning” mode lol

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 8:19 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Perhaps the planning is hand in hand with the master plan work by ZGF for the entire Lloyd Center site. Pre-Pandemic, an entertainment venue was proposed for the empty Nordstrom building or for its cleared site. This appears to be the next step toward reality. And being on the western perimeter of the Lloyd master plan site, it may fit nicely into that plan.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Early Assistance requested by Works Progress Architecture for a new structure at the site of the former Nordstrom at the Lloyd Center:
If I remember correctly, wasn't this going to be a LiveNation venue? Possibly a House of Blues? This a great news if that is what is moving forward! (Yes, I know... LiveNation is controversial for some)

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 11:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
If I remember correctly, wasn't this going to be a LiveNation venue? Possibly a House of Blues? This a great news if that is what is moving forward! (Yes, I know... LiveNation is controversial for some)
Yup a house of blues.. but they are going in the central east side now

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
But this doesn't fit with the master plan, does it? Or, I guess the plan is generic enough that an early action development could be at the old Nordstrom depending how the blocks fit out?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Corbin - less than a month ago you were given a public and final warning about posts like these.

Quote:
CorbinWarrick - you've been publicly and privately about making unproductive comments, and have received temporary bans for it. I haven't had a lot of time to be moderating over the holidays, so I've clearly let some things slide, but please consider this a final and public warning before your account is permanently suspended.
Your account is now permanently suspended.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 12:17 AM

Here's a music venue that WPA developed in a mall in Santa Ana last year. I'm assuming the Portland project would be similiar.

https://www.worksarchitecture.net/work/mainplace

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
But this doesn't fit with the master plan, does it? Or, I guess the plan is generic enough that an early action development could be at the old Nordstrom depending how the blocks fit out?
Just eyeballing this, but I think this would easily fit within (but not entirely fill) Block 7 of the master plan.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 8:58 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Perhaps the planning is hand in hand with the master plan work by ZGF for the entire Lloyd Center site.
What's the status on that? Is there a link?

It's amazing to think about the potential of this site, and the entire area around it. The site has the streetcar on one end, the MAX and Holladay Park in the middle, and it has potential to be part of what could be a great inner city neighborhood... with a Safeway a block away, a bunch of newer development all around and potential for so much improvement before even taking into account redevelopment of the massive site itself.

This whole part of Portland is a sleeping giant.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

It's amazing to think about the potential of this site, and the entire area around it. The site has the streetcar on one end, the MAX and Holladay Park in the middle, and it has potential to be part of what could be a great inner city neighborhood... with a Safeway a block away, a bunch of newer development all around and potential for so much improvement before even taking into account redevelopment of the massive site itself.

For the status of the Lloyd master plan, scroll back to Mac's Dec 18 post that includes a link to the master plan drawings. That makes for a fairly current snapshot of what's current as it goes through the review process.

Also regarding the proposed music venue, within its review request it states, "Discuss process in parallel with voluntary master plan review of adjacent mall property." So the applicant intends to coordinate their planning with the ZGF planning effort.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

You mentioned Safeway on NE Broadway, which I sometimes patronize if I am in the Lloyd area. It has a vast under-used, 2-level parking structure that cries out to be redeveloped as housing. However I am not suggesting that the Safeway building itself be replaced because the supermarket is so vital for nearby residents' shopping needs. It needs to continue to be available to the community.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 10:39 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
You mentioned Safeway on NE Broadway...
Yeah, I'm a big believer in how a grocery store can be an anchor for a neighborhood.

I think back to the old Safeway downtown, before the "new" one was built (holy cow! The "new" Safeway opened 20 years ago!). 30 years ago, that whole area around SW 10th & Jefferson and beyond was so ripe for change. The city managed to encourage the sale and redevelopment of the blocks on both sides of Jefferson between 10th & 11th, which is how the new Safeway & Museum Place apartments above it were built on one block, and when Safeway moved across the street, Eliot Tower, The St. Francis apartments and a small office building were built on the double block on the other side of Jefferson.

If I'm not mistaken, that was the catalyst for a huge amount of development in the area that began even before the new Safeway was built.

I see the Lloyd Center area as a super-jumbo version of that, except there's no need to move the grocery store this time.

My god, when that bunker of a mall comes down, the change for the entire area will be massive. Almost unimaginably huge... and wonderful. Kind of like walking through the Pearl in 1990, trying to imagine what it would be 30 years later... just... wow. The potential here is bigger than huge, and it will spill out in all possible directions. Look at all of the dead retail over there now, like where Pier 1 used to be and lots of what's around it. There's so much potential.

It's exciting to think about.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 9:58 PM

Went to a blazer game last night and we were parked near Lloyd center. The walk is about 15 minutes, and pleasant enough except for the freeway underpass on Multnomah Street that has tents and a strong urine odor… Anyway it would be nice to have a fun neighborhood to hang out before/after a game or concert. The light rail is right there too if you don’t wanna walk. Ideally, the immediate area around Rose Quarter will be redeveloped in the Albina Vision plans, but like 2 oh 1 mentioned, a reimagined Lloyd district would spill out and help create a nice lil corridor that invites you to actually stay and enjoy yourself rather than rush to your car /train and get out.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 7:29 PM

A Public Works Permit (streets, infrastructure, etc) for the Lloyd Center site is now under review. My understanding from the last DAR is that they wanted to get this to concept level approval and would then submit the master plan for land use approval.

Quote:
Public Works, Transportation Bureau LLOYD MASTER PLAN - Conceptual Public Works Master Plan Subsequent work will be under separate 'children' for phased development

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 9:16 PM

Quote:
A Public Works Permit (streets, infrastructure, etc) for the Lloyd Center site is now under review. My understanding from the last DAR is that they wanted to get this to concept level approval and would then submit the master plan for land use approval.
Okay I'm a total novice with navigating the portland maps website. Is there a way to open supporting docs from it?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 9:38 PM

For Public Works permits, no.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 10:45 PM

The Lloyd Superblock (former Regal parking lot) has been listed for sale.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 12:18 AM

Quote:
The Lloyd Superblock (former Regal parking lot) has been listed for sale.
Glad to see that home depot/housing project smashed. Hopefully the buyer will have better ideas.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
Glad to see that home depot/housing project smashed. Hopefully the buyer will have better ideas.
I was kinda looking forward to folks loading sheets of plywood onto MAX.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland