HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 5:25 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
LOL! I'd rather have Bertuzzi to be honest- I'll be in Toronto April 29-May 14 and if the Flames are still kicking have to wonder what reception I'll get there with Phaneuf- Flames they don't care about but Phaneuf is so hated there now I might get a punch in the face.
The last Flames game I went to (April 9), I was surprised to see quite a few Phaneuf Jerseys, at least a half dozen.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Big win yest. The city's caught Flames fever!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 7:04 PM
Aviary Masticator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
That was more of a fight than a game haha. Burrows is a c*nt.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 9:10 PM
Editor

Excellent game last night. The crowd was as loud as I've heard it since 2004, and the Flames looked good overall. A bit of a slow start, but once they got rolling the rolled right over the Canucks.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 9:34 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
It's almost enough to get me to watch on TV. I've been able to manage several minutes at a time, approaching a full period but it isn't easy.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
LOL! I'd rather have Bertuzzi to be honest- I'll be in Toronto April 29-May 14 and if the Flames are still kicking have to wonder what reception I'll get there with Phaneuf- Flames they don't care about but Phaneuf is so hated there now I might get a punch in the face.
Easy fix.

http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/new...Language=en-GB

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 12:17 PM

Haha!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 7:40 PM

Whats with all the reports of sexual harassment and aggressive behaviour towards women, seems like it's worse than in 2004. And I've never heard people yell this shit before...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rend-1.3048108

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 3:25 AM
Inflatable Hippo

I don't think that has anything to do with the Flames or Red Mile, I know a reporter in L.A. and they can't leave the studio without multiple douchebags (often female) shouting that.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 5:49 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Whats with all the reports of sexual harassment and aggressive behaviour towards women, seems like it's worse than in 2004. And I've never heard people yell this shit before...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rend-1.3048108
read the story. This is happening all over the continent.

And no, it's not "worse," why would you even say that? Brian Passifiume of the Sun just tweeted this:

2 guys yelling @ girl to pull her top up just got beat down by crowd of dudes. Sure doesn't seem unsafe to me #redmile #yyc #cofred

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 3:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
This is happening all over the continent.
All over the continent, but only in certain type of jurisdictions. Per prior comments from others, there is a correlation with places that encourage drunks, prostitution, and high density rentals.jj

But enough of that - let's celebrate with some orca burgers!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 5:55 AM
Editor

The Red Mile, back in action

From Chris Garcia on Twitter @ChrisGarcia403

Calgary fan riding the #redmile wave of people #calgaryflames #17thave by Lukon Yuc, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 3:31 PM

Quote:
read the story. This is happening all over the continent.

And no, it's not "worse," why would you even say that? Brian Passifiume of the Sun just tweeted this:

2 guys yelling @ girl to pull her top up just got beat down by crowd of dudes. Sure doesn't seem unsafe to me #redmile #yyc #cofred
Jesus man, relax already. I'm not trying to be a fear monger like suburbia, I was just saying that I don't remember hearing stuff like this in 2004 or in any other year. Sure there were girls flashing in 2004, but it seems to be more from the pressure of the men in the crowd than just having fun this time. All that aside, I was down there on Saturday and it was awesome, didn't see any shenanigans at all, and the cops were all chill, great atmosphere in this city right now!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 4:32 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
could be worse, you could be one of those poor buggers who bought a baertschi jersey lmao
There's a running joke on the Fan960 that the only people with Rhett Warrener jerseys are similar to Creatures of Walmart.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Jesus man, relax already. I'm not trying to be a fear monger like suburbia, I was just saying that I don't remember hearing stuff like this in 2004 or in any other year. Sure there were girls flashing in 2004, but it seems to be more from the pressure of the men in the crowd than just having fun this time. All that aside, I was down there on Saturday and it was awesome, didn't see any shenanigans at all, and the cops were all chill, great atmosphere in this city right now!
Saturday's atmosphere was awesome.

I haven't heard any of the cat calling, and didn't on Saturday night, but apparently some female reporter was yelled at when she was doing an interview. It was in the day time about a week ago.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
Saturday's atmosphere was awesome.

I haven't heard any of the cat calling, and didn't on Saturday night, but apparently some female reporter was yelled at when she was doing an interview. It was in the day time about a week ago.
That was in the article I posted. Anyway like I said, I wasn't trying to go all suburbia and make it out to be all dangerous, just that I don't remember hearing the media report on it and the Flames issue statements before about this stuff.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 12:46 AM
Inflatable Hippo

A younger colleague was talking about the Red Mile a few days ago and I thought what she said was interesting. My take on it at the time was it had been just generally drunk and gross. I was mostly oblivious to the nudity and harassment at the time.

When it took off in 2004 she had only been back in Calgary for a couple weeks but she was swept into it with her old high school and horse friends. Having just turned 20 and after living in Texas for four years the whole bar scene was completely new to her and indeed she saw and heard things that made her uncomfortable and that got worse as time went on. She said that the mob of drunk guys chanting at a woman on a guys shoulders didn't really bother her. The leering creeps who accosted and followed groups of women though absolutely terrified her and the number of creeps increased as time went on. She recalled getting separated from her friends and being accosted by a "creepy fuck with a camcorder who talked like Borat" and a "weirdo in sweatpants" who followed her and her friends for several blocks after leaving 17th.

But she said while those were upsetting to her twenty year-old self. She has experienced far more uncomfortable or threatening situations on the C-Train, ski hills, camping, university libraries etc. She was pretty sure if she screamed help would have come immediately on the red mile. In those other settings, she is pretty sure it wouldn't have.

She said this go around she went down a couple times with basically the same friends as last time for old time's sake, but they soon bored of it and found a restaurant.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 8:27 PM

Playoffs are back! Here's hoping the boys can get this damn monkey off their back! beating the ducks will give them some much needed confidence.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 6:08 PM

Couple close games in Anaheim, still getting bit by penalty trouble and a lack of luck. Boys have to win tonight or the series is going to be pretty much over.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 10:26 PM

Yep, mostly really the undisciplined play has really hurt them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation