HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
It would be somewhat inconvenient to have it in Chase Field. Aside from the weird configuration, the max capacity for a football game is around 45,000 (although I remember reading in one of the earlier stories that Chase Field could max out at 50,000 for a football game). The 2004 Insight Bowl between Oregon State and Notre Dame drew 45,917 and 43,536 for the ASU and Rutgers bowl game in 2005. So that is nearly 30,000 less seating than Sun Devil Stadium.

Average attendance numbers for ASU the last two years has been between 58,000-62,000 with the biggest games (USC, Oregon, Arizona, Mizzouri, etc) drawing sellout crowds of about 72,000. In recent years with ASU performing well, capacity overloads were experienced at Sun Devil Stadium with attendance over 74k-76k...considering the football team is expected to improve it could cause some issues. We would have to deal with much less seating and upset fans. Although for one year, I think that wouldn't be too bad considering there are only 7 home games. I am hoping they split the venue sites so that the biggest games are held at the University of Phoenix Stadium to accommodate larger crowds.
ASU's Michael Crow: Playing at University of Phoenix Stadium doesn't make sense

Quote:
As Arizona State continues to examine financing options to repair or rebuild Sun Devil Stadium, more than a few have wondered why the university doesn’t consider sharing space with the Cardinals in their shiny University of Phoenix Stadium.

When asked about that option Wednesday, ASU President Michael Crow quickly shot the idea down.

“We have more than 10,000 students coming to our games,” he said. “In a student-centric institution, it’s got to be easy for students to get there.”

Crow also said it wouldn’t make sense to co-brand with the University of Phoenix, another academic institution. …

Crow said repairing Sun Devil Stadium would cost between $70 million and $100 million while building a new, but not necessarily high-end facility, would mean a commitment of $200-$300 million.

“I sat in the stadium last week and thought, ‘This is a beautiful stadium? Why is it falling down? It looks fine to me!’” he mused. …

ASU’s lack of a medical school has hurt in the fundraising department. Some of a university’s biggest donors are grateful former patients. …

Crow said he is “trying to get athletics in the mode of joining the less than 10 Division I schools that have self-supporting athletic programs. There aren’t very many.” …
Doubt ASU would want anymore dealings with the Bidwells. I'd imagine costs would be high for transportation of personnel, student section and 400+ member Sun Devil Band and their instruments.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
ASU's Michael Crow: Playing at University of Phoenix Stadium doesn't make sense

Doubt ASU would want anymore dealings with the Bidwells. I'd imagine costs would be high for transportation of personnel, student section and 400+ member Sun Devil Band and their instruments.
If you read the article, it was written about playing in UofP Stadium as opposed to rebuilding or renovating Sun Devil Stadium. Meaning, instead of ASU having its own facility for football, they would reenter an agreement with the Cardinals. That isn't going to happen; but where to hold games for one season while Sun Devil Stadium is being renovated is still being deliberated. The games could be held in Chase Field or UofP Stadium. I was just stating that it would make sense to hold the biggest and most important games in Glendale while the remainder could be played at Chase Field. I am sure that is not likely to happen and one stadium over the other will be hosting all home games...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 4:30 AM
them bones

^Yet again a demonstration of how the City of Phoenix really screwed things up all over the place by having the FAA declare the Tempe site a hazard and then fumbling the stadium to Glendale.

That's a great stadium that got built. It's too bad it's in such a sh*tty location.

Imagine how easy this whole scenario could have been if the stadium had been built on Washington and Priest.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 5:02 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
I am hoping they split the venue sites so that the biggest games are held at the University of Phoenix Stadium to accommodate larger crowds.
I like the idea of splitting, particularly if they were to put the September games in Glendale.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
^Yet again a demonstration of how the City of Phoenix really screwed things up all over the place by having the FAA declare the Tempe site a hazard and then fumbling the stadium to Glendale.

That's a great stadium that got built. It's too bad it's in such a sh*tty location.

Imagine how easy this whole scenario could have been if the stadium had been built on Washington and Priest.
It makes me sick that the stadium is in Glendale. Was Washington and Priest really considered as the site for the stadium?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 8:00 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
It makes me sick that the stadium is in Glendale. Was Washington and Priest really considered as the site for the stadium?
It was, which probably would've been better.

I don't really see the big deal about the Cardinals being in Glendale, its fine. The Coyotes on the other hand, that was a major mistake.

But with football, Im 100% OK w/ suburban locations, in fact I prefer them. We should all be very glad the Cardinals stadium wasn't put in Downtown PHX (where the BioMed campus now is), that would've been awful.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 7:07 PM
BANNED

woah, thats where they wanted to build it? Washington and Priest?

I am in that area a lot and the planes are VERY low when they pass by there. They would literally be buzzing the top of a football stadium, and if there was a crash landing situation, well..... lets just say I agree with their decision, and I don't even have extensive (any) knowledge of airport safety.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 7:18 PM
them bones

^IIRC, the City of Tempe had granted a grading permit and there were already contractors mobilized on-site.

Tempe's argument was that the stadium was below the emergency glide slope and shorter than the nearby 8 story SRP building (which as a result of the FAA ruling is technically too tall for the area).

I think this was in 2000 or so (I can't remember exactly)?

Phoenix controls the airport and leaned on the FAA, won a ruling, and suddenly the stadium was in play (the Cardinals never intended to leave Tempe).

That's my recollection anyway...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 7:28 PM

Quote:
^IIRC, the City of Tempe had granted a grading permit and there were already contractors mobilized on-site.

Tempe's argument was that the stadium was below the emergency glide slope and shorter than the nearby 8 story SRP building (which as a result of the FAA ruling is technically too tall for the area).

Phoenix controls the airport and leaned on the FAA, won a ruling, and suddenly the stadium was in play (the Cardinals never intended to leave Tempe).

You are correct. Since they had built their training facility in south Tempe, their intent was to stay in the area.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 8:14 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:

It was 2001. Here's some detail:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...-In-Tempe.aspx

https://asuwebdevilarchive.asu.edu/i...pusnews/148967

This was at a time when Tempe and Phoenix were often at odds over the future of Sky Harbor Airport, so there was definitely a political dimension to the debate. If the safety concerns could have been resolved, Priest and Washington would have been an ideal location -- right across the street from a light rail station but not consuming valuable Downtown land in either Phoenix or Tempe.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 9:49 PM
BANNED

but they fly DIRECTLY over that empty parcel, and they don't fly over the other buildings in the area.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
but they fly DIRECTLY over that empty parcel, and they don't fly over the other buildings in the area.
The flight path is actually the Salt River.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It was 2001. Here's some detail:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...-In-Tempe.aspx

https://asuwebdevilarchive.asu.edu/i...pusnews/148967

This was at a time when Tempe and Phoenix were often at odds over the future of Sky Harbor Airport, so there was definitely a political dimension to the debate. If the safety concerns could have been resolved, Priest and Washington would have been an ideal location -- right across the street from a light rail station but not consuming valuable Downtown land in either Phoenix or Tempe.
Thanks for the articles. That is such a disgrace it makes me sick. Priest and Washington would have been a perfect location with the Light Rail right there. The Marriott that's under construction in Tempe would have been built years ago because everyone would stay in Downtown Phoenix or Tempe when we host the Super Bowl, Fiesta Bowl etc. Instead, they stay in Scottsdale because they're obviously not gonna stay in Glendale. The biggest problem is that we are stuck with that location for another 25 years, its like a damn prison sentence. Thanks, Bidwell.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 10:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
The flight path is actually the Salt River.
ok bud, I really don't care who is right or wrong. I'm not looking for an argument over it either. If you want to, go down there and stand under where the planes fly, it's not directly over the river, I assure you.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
ok bud, I really don't care who is right or wrong. I'm not looking for an argument over it either. If you want to, go down there and stand under where the planes fly, it's not directly over the river, I assure you.
Chill, I wasn't trying to prove you wrong. I know the planes don't always follow the path. But the flight path according to the FAA is along the Salt River, so they could have built it there. That is how the W6 towers in Tempe got approval despite the FAA not wanting a building of that size originally. They convinced the city that they were away from the flight path. Now, whether the pilots follow it or not, is a different story.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:52 AM

Historic U.S. Post Office now home to finalized ASU Downtown campus student center

Quote:
After two years of planning and construction, the ASU Downtown campus student center in the historic U.S. Post Office building is finally open to ASU students and faculty.

The new student center officially opened at 1 p.m. on Jan. 7, the first day of the 2013 spring semester. The center is accessible through an entrance on the south end of the building. Students can enter by swiping their Sun Card.

The downtown writing center and math lab were relocated to the Post Office in August of 2012 and a new wing and floor that make up the rest of the student center are now available to the ASU downtown community.

The center’s new facilities include a large lounge area, multipurpose ballroom, convenience store, Changemaker Central headquarters, game zone and multiple conference rooms.

The center also houses headquarters for Programming and Activities Board and USGD, as well as a senate conference room and office for the USGD President and his executive staff.

Barrett, the Honors College, Sen. Travis Arbon said the members of the USGD Senate are excited to begin meetings in a specialized room after previously meeting in the grand conference room on the first floor of the Post Office.

“It’s definitely a step up,” Arbon said.

Public service and policy senior Marcus Jones was the student representative who oversaw the student center’s creation. He said he is hoping student organizations will take advantage of the space and utilities now provided through the center.

“We have ninety student organizations downtown now,” Jones said. “They needed a place to meet, so we have five conference rooms for them to do so.”

Two of these conference rooms can seat 40-50 people and come equipped with an 80-inch television and webcam so organizations can host conference calls with individuals in other locations.

The other three rooms, while smaller, are also well equipped to fit the needs of student clubs. All of the conference rooms are available by reservation.

For students looking for a place to lounge, do homework or hang out with friends, the student center offers ample space.

Most of the upper level is filled with cushioned chairs and tables where students can do schoolwork. More importantly, many of the tables come with power outlets, something students expressed a high demand for when planning the new facilities, Jones said.

The lower level of the student center has foosball, pingpong and air hockey tables, as well as space for a billiards table in the future. It is also home to a 70-inch television, which will soon have game consoles such as Xbox and Wii available to students who bring their own games.

The lower lounge will also host a variety of events put on by PAB, said Jessica Coronado, the PAB Downtown president.

“We’re having our first karaoke night sometime in January,” Coronado said. “We’re planning on doing a lot of different activities.”

As more students filter in to see what the student center has to offer, the faculty and students who helped create it are hoping word will spread.

“This (student center) is by the students, for the students,” Associate Dean of Students Cassandra Aska said. “The students did everything to make it … now they’re going to bring it to life.”
Photo gallery in the link.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
I walked by it the other day. It looks pretty nice. I like the small lounge area looking out into the civic space. I am really hoping that with the addition of this and the YMCA extension across from 1st Ave, that area will really become a lot more alive. I know there are complaints about the downtown campus kinda blocking itself off from the rest of downtown, but I think that this idea to span beyond central and 1st ave will make it feel a lot more connected. I wish we could get some cool mix-use projects on all those empty lots on the same block as the YMCA.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:33 PM
BANNED

My question is this:

Everyone thinks housing and a more vibrant downtown will follow the downtown campus. In Tempe, the latter is true but the former has not happened. The few housing projects in downtown Tempe that aren't student projects, are filled with predominantly students anyway. What other places there are, make up a pretty small population and you don't often see those people walking around the neighborhood. Why does anyone think downtown will somehow be different?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 4:48 PM

Quote:
My question is this:

Everyone thinks housing and a more vibrant downtown will follow the downtown campus. In Tempe, the latter is true but the former has not happened. The few housing projects in downtown Tempe that aren't student projects, are filled with predominantly students anyway. What other places there are, make up a pretty small population and you don't often see those people walking around the neighborhood. Why does anyone think downtown will somehow be different?
I think that the reason Tempe is that way is that there really isn't much beyond ASU as sources of employment. Yes, there is US Airways and other offices, but not anything that could bring a very large work force. Although, I wouldn't really say that having students hasn't enlivened Tempe. Mill Ave. pretty much run on student business, and you can really see that during the summer months. Similarly, with all the new housing being built on Apache, we are seeing Apache get a lot more foot traffic and new businesses.

That being said, the difference with downtown is that it has the potential to have a diverse population. Since there are a lot more job sources, downtown could truly begin to attract more than just students. So, unlike Tempe, it could begin to have multiple uses that aren't just catering to student population. I know a lot of young professionals that want to live in the downtown area, but since there aren't many options, they end up living in the neighborhoods around downtown.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 5:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:

It was 2001. 9/11 happened and everyone freaked out about planes used as weapons. A 75,000 seat stadium in the landing approach of a busy airport at a time when Americans were on edge, killed this project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest