HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Add that to a pay system that doesn't work, who made the decision to go with the Peggo System when there were better proven systems out there. Winnipeg Transit even refuses to review the faulty system! Guess someone got greased!
It's actually not the peggo card and the system that supports it that is really the problem with fares not being loaded immediately. It's the fare boxes that Winnipeg Transit bought that are the problem (these fare boxes process taps slower than more expensive models, and also do not have internet connectivity). WT could get farecard tap machines that are connected separate from a farebox to rectify this.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asher__jo View Post
It's actually not the peggo card and the system that supports it that is really the problem with fares not being loaded immediately. It's the fare boxes that Winnipeg Transit bought that are the problem (these fare boxes process taps slower than more expensive models, and also do not have internet connectivity). WT could get farecard tap machines that are connected separate from a farebox to rectify this.
They are terribly slow. I could also do without the incessant beeping.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 1:56 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by factis View Post
They are terribly slow. I could also do without the incessant beeping.
A single beeper would do.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:32 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

It does One beep for Adult Fare and Four beeps for Student/Senior (Discount Cash Fare).

So yes, I cringe whenever a whole bunch of Univ. students get on EB Graham at Cargill.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asher__jo View Post
The fare box tap system software is currently being updated (slowly) on all fare boxes. On the updated fare boxes the Peggo card reads in a fraction of a second instead of 2 seconds or so. It's a wonderful update and throws people off it's so fast!

I believe the main reason WT went with this system is to be able to track where people are going and be able to adjust service to meet demand. Too bad the latter isn't happening.

The wi-fi on buses is supposed to be part and parcel of adding faster internet updating of the Peggo system, but I don't see how that would work since all the online purchases are processed as a batch file once a day.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
The fare box tap system software is currently being updated (slowly) on all fare boxes. On the updated fare boxes the Peggo card reads in a fraction of a second instead of 2 seconds or so. It's a wonderful update and throws people off it's so fast!

I believe the main reason WT went with this system is to be able to track where people are going and be able to adjust service to meet demand. Too bad the latter isn't happening.

The wi-fi on buses is supposed to be part and parcel of adding faster internet updating of the Peggo system, but I don't see how that would work since all the online purchases are processed as a batch file once a day.
I have noticed a couple of times recently that it’s almost instananeous when you tap. Interesting that it’s an update.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I ride the bus almost daily and have never had an issue with Peggo. Although I do load my card in person at the kiosk. Sounds like a lot of the issues are with the online loading system.
yes, loading online had lots of issues. I quit using it and don't know if it's been fixed or not.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 3:58 AM

Edmonton was about the same size Winnipeg is now when it got its first LRT system. When will Winnipeg get an LRT system too?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 5:40 AM

^^^

1. After I die
  2. After 2055 - 100 yrs. since the last streetcar
Whichever comes first.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 5:57 PM

TransLink (BC) has just implemented a "first in North America" Compass wristband where you wear a plastic band that contains a chip and you just swipe that thru a turnstill spot.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4711737/c...nds-translink/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 10:44 PM

Lol sometimes no one's done something for a reason... who the hell would wear that around?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 4:42 AM

^^^

Millennials love that sort of thing. It reminds them of their childhood in the 1980s perhaps at some children's festival. Makes 'em feel "safe".

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
^^^

Millennials love that sort of thing. It reminds them of their childhood in the 1980s perhaps at some children's festival. Makes 'em feel "safe".
If we were feeling nostalgic for a children's festival we'd probably just go to a music festival...

But seriously I have no idea who those are going to appeal to. It's one more thing to have to remember to grab in the morning, and in all honesty if I had it is keep it my backpack or something. I'd take a peggo card over it

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 2:50 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
But seriously I have no idea who those are going to appeal to.
https://www.vancourier.com/transit-w...ine-1.23518796

Quote:
New wristbands that allow riders to pay for public transit are proving to be hot commodities in Vancouver.

Transit authority TransLink sold out of its Compass wristbands soon after they were released Monday and the wristbands popped up on online classifieds sites selling at hefty markups.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
^^^

No millennials care about the way they look, and have smartphones – that's what they'd want to tap.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 4:46 PM

People do things because it's fun. And they don't give a shit what anyone thinks. Which is good. Having some funky wristband is fun, I guess.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 4:51 PM

I personally don't care for it but the wristbands can be functional in that you don't have to go digging through your wallet or your pocket to pay your fare.

The Compass system has absolutely sped up the boarding times in Vancouver.

Meanwhile in Winnipeg...

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 4:54 PM

The updated fare boxes in Winnipeg are nice. They scan instantly.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 5:18 PM

Not sure if it was mentioned here but a Transit Safety Station was installed on Portage right in front of The Bay. It looks like a tiny coffee vendor you'd see in Europe, not sure if it's just like a warm-up station or if someone will be there during the day?

Anyone know?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Well colour me wrong haha

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan