HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by York1 View Post
I checked the article, but I am unclear where in City Park the museum is to be built.
Right here:
http://goo.gl/maps/MeDdg

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 6:10 PM
life is good

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...press+downtown
Quote:
$3M conversion to bring Holiday Inn Express downtown

By: Robin Shannon, Reporter November 14, 2014 0

The new owners of the O’Keefe Plaza Hotel in the Central Business District are planning to convert the property into a Holiday Inn Express and recently started interior renovations.
A $3.1 million building permit was issued Tuesday for the property, at 334 O’Keefe Ave. Steve Hoegger & Associates of Wylie, Texas, is listed as the general contractor. Central Design Group of Columbia, Missouri, designed the project, which is expected to be complete by February in time for Mardi Gras.
In July, The Garrison Investment Group of New York purchased the 129-room, six-story hotel for $10.75 million from the Chauhan and Kansagra families. The two families also recently sold the Quality Inn New Orleans, at 210 O’Keefe Ave. to an Atlanta-based buyer.
Chuck Pomerantz, managing director for the Garrison Investment Group, said the project involves a full gut renovation of the hotel and a reconfiguration of the facility’s office and lobby space. Each room will have all new furniture, artwork and bathroom facilities. The renovation also includes a slightly new design for the exterior.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 9:58 PM
-

908-940 Perdido St, 412 Okeefe Ave·Conditional Use · Project #14-5905 ·Ref Code: Q1Q35T
Download (2) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Conditional Use
Applicant:
Donald Fant
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
11/12/2014 1:49:43 PM
Closed:
No
Description
The applicant is proposing a conditional use to permit a parking garage providing non-accessory off-street parking in a CBD-1 Central Business District.

Will be good to see another surface parking lot disappear!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/90...c980a074?hl=en

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 12:38 AM

Row houses going up in the Lower Garden on Prytania and Josephine.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
908-940 Perdido St, 412 Okeefe Ave·Conditional Use · Project #14-5905 ·Ref Code: Q1Q35T
Download (2) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List

Description
The applicant is proposing a conditional use to permit a parking garage providing non-accessory off-street parking in a CBD-1 Central Business District.

Will be good to see another surface parking lot disappear!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/90...c980a074?hl=en
I hope it's huge so there's no demand to keep any of the other surface lots. Is there any hope that this structure will have ground-level retail? I don't know what the exact definition of non-accessory is.

On another note, according to Page 11 of this: http://cityofno.granicus.com/MetaVie...meta_id=264589, the new plans for the Iberville Projects do not include the street medians with the trees in the middle. The blueprints have it, but the renderings just have a solid street.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 6:35 AM
TL;DR

Non-accessory = public parking. I doubt it will have ground-floor retail, neither O'Keefe or Perdido is a main street. Most of the ground-floor retail space in the CBD is underutilized anyway, we don't need more of it in sub-par locations.

I just hope it has a decent design. Looks like they hired Woodward, which has done some decent stuff. Hopefully they borrow some tricks from the little Hibernia Tower garage, which has a lot of cool materials.

Last edited by ardecila; Nov 16, 2014 at 6:47 AM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 8:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Non-accessory = public parking. I doubt it will have ground-floor retail, neither O'Keefe or Perdido is a main street. Most of the ground-floor retail space in the CBD is underutilized anyway, we don't need more of it in sub-par locations.

I just hope it has a decent design. Looks like they hired Woodward, which has done some decent stuff. Hopefully they borrow some tricks from the little Hibernia Tower garage, which has a lot of cool materials.
Its a conditional use so Id be surprised if some type of ground level space isnt required.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 7:31 PM
-

And here we go again. Lets hope we have more success this time. Interesting that Gatehouse is back after being unable to reach an agreement last time

http://www.wwltv.com/story/news/loca...-wtc/19195083/

We should have more details tomorrow from all the bidders.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 3:14 AM

I'm also shocked that Gatehouse is back, and that there were this many proposals. I guess the tourism market is so hot that dealing with the city is worth it.

Speaking of increasing tourism. Allegiant Airlines announced service to Indianapolis, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Orlando starting February 5th. Twice weekly flights to start out. Looks to be seasonal service during our peak visitation months in the Spring. I think these routes will do well, and would not be shocked if Allegiant expanded operations here in the long run.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 3:31 AM
TL;DR

I almost wonder if some of the local guys only started to see the potential after the very successful campaign to save the building... and pushed the city to sandbag Gatehouse so they could get another bite at the apple.

A little home cooking, as Oliver Thomas would say....

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 5:02 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I almost wonder if some of the local guys only started to see the potential after the very successful campaign to save the building... and pushed the city to sandbag Gatehouse so they could get another bite at the apple.

A little home cooking, as Oliver Thomas would say....
Well certainly interesting point.. only one of the bidders appears to be all local. Also interesting is that one of the bid partners Mcdonnel group has joined up with different people than they were with last time. So I think its going to be a much tougher decision this time since I expect all around better proposals. Also, I had heard Harrahs was putting in a bid but backed out. Probably would have been some backlash for them if they were chosen and the city really wants to have a deal by first quarter next year.

Pictures I took of South Market District, Ace Hotel and Pontchartrain Housing today (11/18/14):

The Paramount:

The Park:

The Beacon:

Unknown in South Market:

Ace Hotel :

BTW I like how in the last two photos Broadmoor and Palmisano rented out the adjacent building for a job site office.

Pontchartrain Housing Offices:

Last edited by tennis1400; Nov 19, 2014 at 5:42 AM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 7:24 PM

Here is the list of people who submitted for the WTC, from NOLA.com:

Oxford Capital LLC
Berger MCC Ogden
HRI Properties
Columbia Sussex
Geller Investment Co.
Valencia Woodbine Monday
Hixon Development
ITM Development
Gatehouse Capital Corp. and Provident Realty
Four Seasons
Samuel Burfict

I could go for a Four Seasons right there!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 9:00 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
Here is the list of people who submitted for the WTC, from NOLA.com:

Oxford Capital LLC
Berger MCC Ogden
HRI Properties
Columbia Sussex
Geller Investment Co.
Valencia Woodbine Monday
Hixon Development
ITM Development
Gatehouse Capital Corp. and Provident Realty
Four Seasons
Samuel Burfict

I could go for a Four Seasons right there!
I definitely love Four Seasons too.

In other news, permits were applied for today concerning the St Roch Market and the Cambria Hotel on Tchoupitoulas Street. This is exciting.

2381 St Claude Ave·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: 4DFWKW
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Joel Ross
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
11/18/2014 8:39:12 AM
Closed:
No
Description

Interior tenant buildout of a market including minimal interior demolition and repairs, new kitchen and bar equipment, new lighting, new countertops and casework at retail space, painting, additional electrical work to accommodate for new equipment, and minimal plumbing connections to new equipment. No exterior modifications under this permit.

632 Tchoupitoulas St·New Construction ·Ref Code: 4L4XEX

Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Robert Boyd
Application Submitted
ate Filed:
11/17/2014 7:17:32 PM
Closed:
No
Description

Construction of a new 7-story, 162 room hotel w/ full service restaurant.

Last edited by tennis1400; Nov 19, 2014 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 9:36 PM

632 Tchoupitoulas St- Approvals?

Where is this project in terms of getting approvals from the zoning boards, etc? I don't recall what was decided.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 9:49 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Where is this project in terms of getting approvals from the zoning boards, etc? I don't recall what was decided.
I think the only thing is hdlc appovals for the exterior... it takes a couple of months for new construction of this size to be permitted so they will probably start construction in 2 months. Although, ground work would more than likely begin a month before that.

HDLC ARC Package: (looks like there are two slightly different elevations... one with balconies, one without ) I definitely prefer the balcony version.

My article on Canal Street Beat as well:

http://canalstreetbeat.com/?p=2645&preview=true

Last edited by tennis1400; Nov 19, 2014 at 10:47 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo7890 View Post
Row houses going up in the Lower Garden on Prytania and Josephine.
I really love these types of infill projects in NOLA. It really keeps the urban tradition alive. NOLA is in a small group of cities still developing row homes in the US.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 11:42 PM
life is good

I really like 632 Tchop. And agreed about the rowhouses, great infill for NOLA. Would love to see some rowhouses in residential areas as well.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 4:46 AM

I'm really liking the WTC applicants this time around (especially HRI), it really gives me hope for the building. I had thought before that we could do a brand better than a W Hotel for the building, I just didn't know what. I was hoping to see an appearance by Trump, but I guess our market still isn't quite that strong.

Kurt Vonnegut

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 7:26 AM
urbanphile

I'm sorry, but that ground floor is just terrible. Not one, no two, but four recessed garage ports and then three recessed utility closet doors which will make a lovely place for people to relieve themselves.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 5:53 PM
TL;DR

It's on Commerce Street, which is lined with blank walls and basically an alley. This is New Orleans, so you can't go underground for utility closets and such... Gotta find room for them on the ground floor.

The entrance on Tchoup seems pretty well designed, with a sitting area right there and plenty of transparency.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations