HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Particularly since it was the Liberals that cut the public housing investments in the first place.
In the April 1993 budget presented by Conservative MP and Minister of Finance Don Mazankowski, all funding for new social housing was terminated and CMHC's social housing budget was frozen at $2b. New social housing starts were gradually decreased in the preceding 8 years, all under the Conservative government of Brian Mulroney.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
The National Housing Strategy was announced in 2017, Trudeau became Prime Minister in 2015. While it's debatable on how effective the National Housing Strategy has been (it hasn't been great, for sure), it's incorrect to say "the Trudeau Liberals did absolutely nothing".
It would be hard to tell for, this graph there was a big change in policy.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 5:37 PM

Quote:
One of the things that was cut in the 90s was public investments in housing, and look at where that got us. I would say that absolutely did not work.
This is because our housing market is structurally hobbled by a regulatory system that makes most of the economically efficient types of housing unattractive to builders. If we liberalized zoning, eased up the building codes (by legalizing things such as single-stair buildings), and stopped using development fees to pay for municipal infrastructure, the private sector would do a much better job of providing housing for the average person.

Cuts to public housing didn't cause the housing crisis, and increasing spending on public housing won't fix it.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 5:38 PM

Quote:
In the April 1993 budget presented by Conservative MP and Minister of Finance Don Mazankowski, all funding for new social housing was terminated and CMHC's social housing budget was frozen at $2b. New social housing starts were gradually decreased in the preceding 8 years, all under the Conservative government of Brian Mulroney.
And the Liberals took power 6 months later and governed for the next 15 years and made no amendments to these cuts. Budget 95 cut CMHC’s budget by a further 9%.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I have questions

How did you pay property taxes on your portfolio?

How did you pay suppliers, contractors, etc?

How did you buy plane tickets?
Last question is easy, I haven’t flown in years! (And I can look down with a holier-than-thou gaze at ANY of you planet-destroyers who fly!)

To answer your questions, and it’s a good point you addressed in a later post, for that while I had neither credit card nor debit card BUT I of course still had bank accounts (that could be accessed online).

Customers paying my company, the $ would get in there, and to pay suppliers, same thing, the $ would get out of there. Also I have a corporate account at a large hardware chain so that also worked fine. But expenses like food, gas, groceries, hardware at any other place than where I have an account, etc. was all paid in cash (made the accounting more annoying in retrospect; huge pile of receipts for corporate expenses.)

So, not exactly as bad as an illegal who wouldn’t have a bank account!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 6:08 PM

US is also about to vote Trump back in and I really don't think Canada swinging Conservative right now is a good time to do so.

A Trump/Pierre bromance is an utterly horrifying prospect

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 7:00 PM

This is what happens when the right hand of your government doesn’t know what the left is doing:

Cost of living has immigrants considering leaving Canada:
Posted July 3, 2024 7:04 am.
Last Updated July 3, 2024 7:05 am.
Coming to Canada for a better life doesn’t appear to be the reality for many new Canadians.

A new poll from the Angus Reid Institute released Wednesday shows immigrants are thinking about leaving, with the lack of affordable housing cited as the top reason.

“Consider that while three-in-10 Canadians (28 per cent) say they’re giving serious consideration to leaving their province of residence due to housing affordability, this number rises to 39 per cent for those who have lived in the country for less than a decade,” the poll found.…

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...rants-leaving/

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
This is because our housing market is structurally hobbled by a regulatory system that makes most of the economically efficient types of housing unattractive to builders. If we liberalized zoning, eased up the building codes (by legalizing things such as single-stair buildings), and stopped using development fees to pay for municipal infrastructure, the private sector would do a much better job of providing housing for the average person.

Cuts to public housing didn't cause the housing crisis, and increasing spending on public housing won't fix it.
0 public housing isn't appropriate either though, even in a completely deliberalized housing market.

Going to 0 public housing funding in the 90's was a mistake based on the excess of housing supply available at the time. This excess was due to the revolution of housing supply shooting out of the rise of mobility and access to employment markets from the proliferation of automobiles in the post-war period. That excess housing is now long gone and we need to return to a world where we acknowledge that market housing will not and can not provide adequate housing for the lowest tiers of incomes.

That said - we shouldn't be expecting subsidized housing to be the solution for middle income earners. Public housing efforts should be focused on the absolute lowest income tiers (i.e. supportive and deeply affordable housing for people on disability, etc.). A nurse or teacher shouldn't need it.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Yeah of course, fuck the poor right? Lets bring in austerity because that worked soooooo well last time and has done wonder for the UK where the Tories have effectively ruined Britain after 14 years....

Tories in canada = nation haters, they'll dismantle everything good about this country to appease their billionaire corporate overlords. The elite will see huge benefits under a Tory super majority and our rights will be put in jeopardy.
Do you want us to become like Argentina? Because that is where we are headed if government spending isn't gotten under control. If you think you are poor now, you should try to make ends meet when the last 8 years are the standard operating procedure and 8% inflation is a good year.

What is your alternative solution to austerity? Or do you want us to just print more and more money to pay for things we can't otherwise afford (which will result in permanent high inflation)?

You clearly dislike rich people - so let me ask you a question. Who do you think built and owns the restaurant you work at, the apartment you rent, the mall that shop at, the pub that you like to grab a beer at? That's right, rich people.

Without rich people you wouldn't have a job, a place to live, food to eat, or any of the technology you use on a daily basis. You might not care about being rich yourself, and that's fine, but be careful where you place your blame.

And if you piss off rich people by taxing them too much they will simply leave the country and there goes your job, the store you shop at, and the room you rent.

Here's a newsflash - your fellow citizens don't owe you anything. If you don't like living in squalor then do something to improve your situation - learn a more valuable skill, work extra hours, read some books. All these hours you spend complaining on the internet can be used much better and actually make a meaningful improvement to your life. But expecting people like me to pay for your lifestyle? That is a hard no. I don't owe you anything.

Sorry if this hard to hear, but I'm doing you a favour. The sooner you realize the rest of the world doesn't owe you shit, the better off you'll be.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build.It View Post
Do you want us to become like Argentina? Because that is where we are headed if government spending isn't gotten under control. If you think you are poor now, you should try to make ends meet when the last 8 years are the standard operating procedure and 8% inflation is a good year.

What is your alternative solution to austerity? Or do you want us to just print more and more money to pay for things we can't otherwise afford (which will result in permanent high inflation)?

You clearly dislike rich people - so let me ask you a question. Who do you think built and owns the restaurant you work at, the apartment you rent, the mall that shop at, the pub that you like to grab a beer at? That's right, rich people.

Without rich people you wouldn't have a job, a place to live, food to eat, or any of the technology you use on a daily basis. You might not care about being rich yourself, and that's fine, but be careful where you place your blame.

And if you piss off rich people by taxing them too much they will simply leave the country and there goes your job, the store you shop at, and the room you rent.

I can tell you one thing about rich people though - they didn't become rich by making excuses and expecting their fellow citizens to subsidize their lifestyle.
1) our inflation is 3%, not 8%
2) Debt to GDP is going DOWN
3) workers built my apartment, workers run the restaurant, the owners of the companies profit off our labour
4) without workers those rich people wouldn't have been able to build those industries and companies.
5) I havent advocated raising taxes here, but since you asked, I want the GST to return to 7%

Canada isn't in a debt crisis and austerity is NOT necessary rn. This isn't the 90s when we faced a fiscal cliff.

This is what Austerity causes, you want to sacrifice our own citizens because you've fallen for financial doomerism that the very elite have lied to you over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn6KlSdcem8

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 8:02 PM

Quote:
3) workers built my apartment, workers run the restaurant, the owners of the companies profit off our labour
4) without workers those rich people wouldn't have been able to build those industries and companies.
5) I havent advocated raising taxes here, but since you asked, I want the GST to return to 7%

Canada isn't in a debt crisis and austerity is NOT necessary rn. This isn't the 90s when we faced a fiscal cliff.
And who do you think paid those workers to build the apartment building? Who do you think pays your salary? Who do you think created all these jobs?

You think if the rich person's ownership was stripped away everything would continue to be hunky-dory?

How donyou think rich people become rich? Serious question. Do you think it's just handed to them? They stumble across wealth? Lottery?

The reason you are poor is because you think like a poor person. You think the world owes you a comfortable existence. The world doesn't owe you anything pal.

If you're not interested in improving your skills, or working harder, or gaining new knowledge, then that's fine, but don't expect people like myself to pay for your existence.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build.It View Post
And who do you think paid those works to build the apartment building? Who do you think pays your salary?

You think if the rich person's ownership was stripped away everything would continue to be hunky-dory?

How donyou think rich people become rich? Serious question. Do you think it's just handed to them? They stumble across wealth? Lottery?

The reason you are poor is because you think like a poor person. You think the world owes you a comfortable existence. The world doesn't owe you anything pal.

If you're not interested in improving your skills, or working harder, or gaining new knowledge, then that's fine, but don't expect people like myself to pay for your existence.
Most wealth is inherited. You cant be brainwashed enough to think Billionaires just work harder than the rest of us can you? Sheesh, no wonder my generation is fucked

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Most wealth is inherited. You cant be brainwashed enough to think Billionaires just work harder than the rest of us can you? Sheesh, no wonder my generation is fucked
Thank you for answering honestly.

I know a lot of rich people. Most of the people I talk to on a regular basis are rich. And not a single one of them were born rich. They are all self-made (as am I).

I believe the stat is that something like 80% of millionaires are self-made.

And btw, I'm only 10 years older than you and entered the workforce during the 2008 recession.

If you think like a victim you will always be poor. There's no one coming to save the day, the only way for you to stop being poor is to change how you think, and learn more valuable skills, and it has literally never been easier to do that than today. You can learn almost anything for free, you just have to spend the time.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 8:47 PM

Self made. So no business loans, no help from family or friends. No student loans or debts. Yup self made. Lol

I love self made people.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 10:51 PM

Quote:

This is what Austerity causes, you want to sacrifice our own citizens because you've fallen for financial doomerism that the very elite have lied to you over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn6KlSdcem8
True, but public anger relates to the cumulative inflation of the last few years. I suspect there are significant numbers of Canadians who think that "lower inflation" means roll backs in prices. Those folks are going to stay angry, I suspect.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Self made. So no business loans, no help from family or friends. No student loans or debts. Yup self made. Lol

I love self made people.
Why do you think any of that stuff means you aren't self made? The banks don't just toss out business loans to anyone that asks.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 11:18 PM

Quote:
A Trump/Pierre bromance is an utterly horrifying prospect
True but PP getting along well with Trump might also benefit us in ways, or rather protect us from Trump’s loony tangents.

PP seems spineless enough to twist himself into any necessary Trump ego-stroking position.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
True, but public anger relates to the cumulative inflation of the last few years. I suspect there are significant numbers of Canadians who think that "lower inflation" means roll backs in prices. Those folks are going to stay angry, I suspect.
Yes, Democrat mouthpieces in the US make the same error in telling the public that everything’s ok now because inflation has lowered. It just makes the audience angrier.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 11:20 PM

Quote:

I love self made people.
There's a massive difference between getting some help and inheriting a fortune like OP suggested. Very hard to get anywhere in life without some help, but you'd be surprised how much people with means are willing to help someone with a good attitude and a desire to improve themselves.

The circumstances you are born in changes the starting point, but your attitude is what's going to determine which direction the needle swings for you. I had to unlearn a lot of things I was taught growing up about money and risk, so that I can accomplish what no one else in my family ever has.

You can't control the hand you're dealt, you can only control what you do with it.

BTW - going from $1 to $1,000 is equally as impressive as going from $10,000 to $10,000,000. The same mindset is required to accomplish both, and that is one of go-getter, not a victim.

Anyways I was just trying to teach OP something that it seems no one else has ever explained to him, hopefully some of it sunk in.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 12:11 AM

Quote:

I love self made people.
That’s what self-made means, as opposed to inheriting your wealth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada