HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'tit Renard View Post
Apparently NBC censured it..luckily SRC wasn't so prudish. It was well received on the Plateau.

Tony Estanguet défend le Cojo face à la censure de certaines chaînes de télévision étrangères
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CawcipT3NAw
It was also censured in Morocco, Algeria, and China, according to French media. The Moroccan state television had 15 minutes of fixed camera showing the Louvre while the drag queen bizarre Last Supper and blue-painted guy singing took place.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 6:32 PM

Very positive take from La Presse & JdM regarding the Opening Ceremonies:

Céline et les Jeux de Paris : l’apothéose
https://www.lapresse.ca/arts/chroniq...-apotheose.php

Cérémonie: la France nouvelle, la France éternelle
https://www.journaldemontreal.com/20...ance-eternelle

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
Some British comments from readers on the Financial Times' website complained (or mocked rather) the fact the cameramen did not wipe the water away from the camera lenses. I tend to agree, that was not very professional.

The spokesman of the Russian ministry of foreign affairs said that the opening ceremony in Paris was a disaster because of the TGV train line arson (the gall of that criticism!!) and because the organizers did not use cloud scattering technique/chemicals (does that even exist? serious question), and because they hadn't prepared some sort of awning to protect spectators from the rain. I agree with the last point. That was typical French nonchalance, assuming confidently that it couldn't rain in late July. Not very professional!
When the trains stopped running, I thought that if the Olympic dancers had actually gone on strike, it would have shaped up to be a very French event indeed.....

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Some British comments from readers on the Financial Times' website complained (or mocked rather) the fact the cameramen did not wipe the water away from the camera lenses. I tend to agree, that was not very professional.
So you think you're a better professional and could've done a better job...
Think, goddammit! Before you write silly things.

Of course the drops of rain left on some cams were on purpose, because yes, it was raining.
Their job is just to catch the event the way it was.

And why are you still obsessed with the Brits when I couldn't care less? That's beyond me.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Yes, she was physically there, but whether she was actually singing, or just chantait en playback, as we say in franglais, is the question...
For $2M + expenses there was no chantait en playback - that was 100% Celine - you can see her vocal change from when she did the same song in 2015 after the Paris attacks.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
For $2M + expenses there was no chantait en playback
Most French journalists now say she wasn't paid. Neither was Lady Gaga. At least that's what the organizers say. None of the artists were paid. They all did it for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
that was 100% Celine - you can see her vocal change from when she did the same song in 2015 after the Paris attacks.
If it was lip synch, it would have been recorded (the voice, not the image) shortly before the ceremony one would imagine, with her current voice. If it was live singing, it was incredibly brave.

What we know for sure is Lady Gaga's performance was recorded before the ceremony (voice and image). It was something they recorded during rehearsal earlier in the afternoon, and then she didn't bother to perform during the ceremony due to the rain, so they broadcasted the rehearsal. The people who paid tickets to watch it were puzzled and unhappy, as they watched some empty stairs.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'tit Renard View Post
Very positive take from La Presse & JdM regarding the Opening Ceremonies:

Céline et les Jeux de Paris : l’apothéose
https://www.lapresse.ca/arts/chroniq...-apotheose.php

Cérémonie: la France nouvelle, la France éternelle
https://www.journaldemontreal.com/20...ance-eternelle
La Nouvelle France salue la France nouvelle. De l'importance des majuscules et minuscules en français...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 2:30 PM

According to the latest news, both Lady Gaga and Céline Dion pre-recorded their performance in advance before the ceremony, but unlike Lady Gaga Céline Dion did insist on performing live, so it was a live performance after all. This has been revealed today by one of the organizers.

In other news, the insufferable Tony Estanguet, head of the organizing committee, who is a close ally and supporter of the divisive mayor Anne Hidalgo, said today that the opening ceremony wasn't meant to please everyone.

These leftists are just unbelievable!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 3:03 PM

Honestly, it is seeming weird that people can’t just accept that everything isn’t to their exact wants and beliefs. Outrage about opening ceremonies for the Olympics just seems stupid. It’s just entertainment. If there’s a part of it you don’t like, then just move on and get over it.

People need to repeat to themselves: “It’s not all about me”….

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Honestly, it is seeming weird that people can’t just accept that everything isn’t to their exact wants and beliefs. Outrage about opening ceremonies for the Olympics just seems stupid. It’s just entertainment. If there’s a part of it you don’t like, then just move on and get over it.

People need to repeat to themselves: “It’s not all about me”….
It's like what Guillaume Kiefer (a pro-liberal economics guy, which is rather rare in France) said in French in the tweet: it's one thing to displease or shock people when it wasn't intended, it's quote another to purposely intend to shock and offend people! A ceremony like that shouldn't be meant to shock people and show the middle finger to a particular category of the population (right-wingers in this case). How exactly would have people reacted if Marine Le Pen had been elected president of France in 2022, and she had entrusted Le Puy du Fou (that right-wing entertainment park) with the opening ceremony, and they had purposely glorified French colonization, the Crusades, etc. And then the next day they would say: "Our objective wasn't to please everyone." How exactly would the left-wingers react?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 5:28 PM

What I find weird about this is that I didn’t see anything that was particularly offensive in the ceremonies. I’m not far right in my politics, nor am I far left. In fact I would categorize myself as centre right, but not close-minded.

Regardless, nothing there was anything that you wouldn’t see on everyday television in Canada, though I can’t say that I know the norms of France’s media.

IMHO, anybody on the fringe ends of politics knows that they are, and thus become more activist than “concerned citizen”. I suspect that they are far less offended than they are proclaiming in public, and therefore it is difficult to take any of it seriously. It all reminds me of the meaningless bluster that is everyday US politics. Outrage because I’m supposed to be outraged, because my brand of politics requires me to be outraged…

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
What I find weird about this is that I didn’t see anything that was particularly offensive in the ceremonies. I’m not far right in my politics, nor am I far left. In fact I would categorize myself as centre right, but not close-minded.

Regardless, nothing there was anything that you wouldn’t see on everyday television in Canada, though I can’t say that I know the norms of France’s media.

IMHO, anybody on the fringe ends of politics knows that they are, and thus become more activist than “concerned citizen”. I suspect that they are far less offended than they are proclaiming in public, and therefore it is difficult to take any of it seriously. It all reminds me of the meaningless bluster that is everyday US politics. Outrage because I’m supposed to be outraged, because my brand of politics requires me to be outraged…
Dunno if they showed you everything on Canadian television. There are three things in the ceremony that have triggered a controversy in France:
1- beheaded Marie-Antoinette on the façade of the Conciergerie, which was gruesome, tactless, and bad taste considering the way this poor woman was treated by the Revolutionary Tribunal, especially the year in which the French lawyer who brought an end to the death penalty by guillotine in France has died (Robert Badinter is his name). Even the leader of the far-left said he didn't like that scene, because he doesn't support the death penalty! And this is a guy who otherwise always waxes lyrical about the French Revolution!

2- threesome sex in the historical building of the National Library of France, which I personally found the most shocking and out of place in this ceremony, and which is also disliked by many people. What the heck was that doing there???

3- Last Supper with drag queens, which the organizers today, doing some damage control, are saying did not represent the Last Supper but a scene from Greek Antiquity showing gods from Olympus (). The French Catholic church has officially reacted and said they deeply disapprove of this mockery of Christianity. The main organizer of the ceremony has apologized if the scene has hurt the feelings of believers.

More generally, people don't like the fact that it was a ceremony full of left-wing woke ideology, trying to portray France as a collection of minorities, but not all minorities of course, just queer minorities (even some very small section of gay people at that, 99% of gay people do not look or act like what was shown during the ceremony) and Black minorities. Not shown were other minorities, such as people with Down syndrome, disabled people, or White rural Frenchmen for instance. This has been pointed out by many people: only "certain" minorities are worthy of being shown, i.e. those beloved by the Parisian woke Left.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 5:51 PM

I must add that appart from these three controversial themes, most people agree that the show was otherwise pretty good, pyrotechnical effects, views of the Seine, and particularly the end of the show with Céline Dion and the flame going up in the air, which 100% of people seem to have greatly liked. I've read quite a few commentators saying that Céline Dion alone saved the show (many people didn't like Aya Nakamura or Lady Gaga; personally I found Lady Gaga ok, but Aya Nakamura with the Republican Guard completely ridiculous and a bit embarrassing for the Republican Guard).

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 11:46 PM

Quote:

The spokesman of the Russian ministry of foreign affairs said that the opening ceremony in Paris was a disaster because of the TGV train line arson (the gall of that criticism!!) and because the organizers did not use cloud scattering technique/chemicals (does that even exist? serious question), and because they hadn't prepared some sort of awning to protect spectators from the rain. I agree with the last point. That was typical French nonchalance, assuming confidently that it couldn't rain in late July. Not very professional!
Russians and China do the cloud seeding which has high success in making it rain elsewhere. I guess those two declaring it safe is less than assuring.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 11:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

According to the musical director for the entire show, Céline was singing for real. She wouldn't have it any other way, he said. Plan Bs were prepped but not used.

She was the only one who sang for real I believe.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Dunno if they showed you everything on Canadian television. There are three things in the ceremony that have triggered a controversy in France:
1- beheaded Marie-Antoinette on the façade of the Conciergerie, which was gruesome, tactless, and bad taste considering the way this poor woman was treated by the Revolutionary Tribunal, especially the year in which the French lawyer who brought an end to the death penalty by guillotine in France has died (Robert Badinter is his name).

Too soon?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 2:13 PM
video et taceo

Like Serrano's Piss Christ, the Olympic opening will be remembered as a skirmish in the culture war, blocking much discussion of the actual motifs.

It's too bad. Because unlike Piss Christ, which despite angering Christians succeeded on its own terms by depicting the radiance of Christ submerged in this world's ordure, the Olympic opening's more controversial scenarios failed.

There is nothing about Dionysus that points to the "absurdity of violence between human beings", as was the creator's stated intention. In Dionysus, violence and absurdity are both made holy.

He is fathoms away from the pallid, late-20th century humanism of these artists. Almost nothing could be further.

And they did intend to refer to the Last Supper of Christ, obviously, but even there... it's not even a good subversion or an insult. It's not a provocative insight. It just doesn't work. A feast of Dionysus and one of Christ can't be reasonably linked by any of the themes these guys are out talking about. There are some parallels, sure, they're both "dying and rising" gods, transubstantiation vs. the butchery of the maenads... but none of these things sum up nicely to "inclusion and coexistence" or whatever.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 2:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Ils sont Français après tout. Parfois ils aiment provoquer tout simplement pour l'amour de provoquer.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 2:21 PM
video et taceo

I liked the horse, though. I don't think this was the pale horse, like the Christians are saying. I think he was like something from Marinetti, some sort of machine-totem of our technical age.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 2:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I winced a few times but overall it was a spectacular and gutsy show.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada