HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 1:27 PM

The Jets are talking to all the top coaches and players. They don't want to come here. It's simple.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 2:22 PM

Give Arniel a chance, the team played well under him while Bones was away for his two stints this year. What is so attractive about a coach like Sheldon Keefe? Is it just because he coached the Leafs? He only won a single first round series and lost 3 others. If he did that here, fans would be clamouring to have him fired.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 2:51 PM

It appears some Jets fans always look outward for the next big affirmation. They seem to want to see big player or coach signings to make them feel validated, as if the opinion of a sportswriter in Toronto or a fan sitting on a barstool in Boston means anything. Even victories (like re-signing vital players) lose their luster extremely quickly, and they're out there looking for the next big slap in the face. It's sad, because it means they will never, ever be happy about their team.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 5:54 PM

Everyone poops on the jets as we are a small market city and don't have the glamorous perks of a big city. It is what it is. I think we still have a shot to do a long playoff run. He will do fine, but as a team, we need to beef up our special teams and powerplay.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The Jets are talking to all the top coaches and players. They don't want to come here. It's simple.
Do you have any idea what a privilege it is to be a head coach in the NHL? There are 32 jobs to coach the best hockey players in the world. Do you really think anybody would turn that opportunity down because "no wifi"?

Every coach who has left has said amazing things about this city. He'll, Paul Maurices daughter still lives here.

This is a great (albeit not perfect) city...I don't understand why people like to perpetuate this stereotype that is rooted in other peoples insecurities.

I can understand why a player may want to live somewhere else...there are hundreds of more opportunities than what coaches have. Coaching in the NHL is a dream come true for any hockey person.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 5:06 AM

Quote:
lol....just like Schiefele, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hellebuyck, and Connor wanted to leave as soon as possible?

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
It appears some Jets fans always look outward for the next big affirmation. They seem to want to see big player or coach signings to make them feel validated, as if the opinion of a sportswriter in Toronto or a fan sitting on a barstool in Boston means anything. Even victories (like re-signing vital players) lose their luster extremely quickly, and they're out there looking for the next big slap in the face. It's sad, because it means they will never, ever be happy about their team.
Well in fairness, they should have sacked the special teams coach. It was our Achilles heel all season,and Colorado destroyed us on the power play.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 5:23 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Bruh...

Chevy did his due diligence to interview coaches who were available in the market. The higher profiled coaches we wanted, all signed to the teams they're in now. We could have also picked coaches from the AHL for all we know.

We ended up with Arnie, because he proved that he can coach a team, even if his now former boss was a away for a bit. Now he has the top bench position and has plenty of time to make changes of his own on how the staff would be.

We'll find out in the coming days if changes in the coaching staff will happen. They should, since our special teams have struggled all of this past season.

We have who we have now, but also don't forget that no coaching position is a safe job either, unless you first quit.

Come the next season, we will find out if Chevy made the right call. We've been wrong in the recent past (see this past season predictions going into the 2023-2024 season). Now it's up to us to make it deep into the playoffs.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Just like top players, top coaching candidates do not want to come to Winnipeg. Time will if this hire pans not.
There are only 32 coaching positions in the NHL. A prospective coach would be foolish to pass up an opportunity at making a few million per year as opposed to a few hundred thousand a year as an assistant or an AHL coach/European coach.

As it stands, Arniel was pretty much ordained as the next head coach 2 years ago when he was hired as an assistant.

Personally, I would have loved the Jets go in the direction of a younger coach who brought something new to the table, even a former European coach who has a good pedigree with some exposure to the NA game. You would think being the smallest NHL market that TNSE would look to attempt to lead the way with some kind of new wave coaching schemes or player scouting and development. Research and exploit something that other teams may not have seriously considered. It's worked for Tampa Bay in Baseball being a perennial playoff team despite playing with a very low payroll in a outdated stadium.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 5:19 AM

Quote:
I don't think they ever really serious about bringing in a big-name coaching candidate whatever that is. It was always going to be Arniel. A big-name coach won't hold out if Winnipeg made a serious offer because there is the real possibility that person would be sacrificing millions of dollars for an opportunity that may never come from anywhere else.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 8:29 PM

Brad Lauer fired. Break out the champagne.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10526415/...taff-analysis/

Last edited by WinCitySparky; May 27, 2024 at 9:53 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 8:34 PM

The good coaches, just like players, get to choose where they want to work. They don't want to work in Winnipeg. The list of players presented to me here are all players drafted by the team. That's why they're in Winnipeg. The ones who wanted out, are gone.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 9:45 PM

This just in from bomberjet: nobody ever wants to play for or coach the Jets. Don't even ask. The people here are just losers, or holograms or something. There's no hope and there never will be. Even trying is an offence against all that is holy. Goodbye.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 10:36 PM

Quote:
The good coaches, just like players, get to choose where they want to work. They don't want to work in Winnipeg. The list of players presented to me here are all players drafted by the team. That's why they're in Winnipeg. The ones who wanted out, are gone.
Those players did not have to sign extensions with the team beyond their RFA years...yet, many did just that

As for coaches, they could have chosen a different path than an older coach, or for that matter a "good coach" who is a retread. A young up-and-comer, of which I'm sure there are many, is not going to say no to Winnipeg risking losing out on millions of dollars.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Those players did not have to sign extensions with the team beyond their RFA years...yet, many did just that

As for coaches, they could have chosen a different path than an older coach, or for that matter a "good coach" who is a retread. A young up-and-comer, of which I'm sure there are many, is not going to say no to Winnipeg risking losing out on millions of dollars.
The Jets are an easy organization to be part of and Winnipeg easy city to play in. Local media is very compliant and they drink the True North Kool-Aid without hesitation; there's no real expectation placed on the players to succeed; and fans seem happy enough to have a team (though that's starting to change with empty seats). Players like Hellebuyck and Scheifele would wilt if they played in markets such as Toronto, Detroit, Boston, etc.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
The Jets are an easy organization to be part of and Winnipeg easy city to play in. Local media is very compliant and they drink the True North Kool-Aid without hesitation; there's no real expectation placed on the players to succeed; and fans seem happy enough to have a team (though that's starting to change with empty seats). Players like Hellebuyck and Scheifele would wilt if they played in markets such as Toronto, Detroit, Boston, etc.
They would? Got any way to proof of that? I think I will be waiting awhile for a response.

Guys like Copp and Trouba (up until the last year or so with a noticeable decline due to wear and tear probably) were the exact same players in New York and Detroit as they were in Winnipeg. Kane was his usual tunnel-vision self in places like Buffalo (a hockey-town), San Jose. Kane said Winnipeg was a fishbowl so I wouldn't say it was an easy market to play in...quite the contrary.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 6:29 PM

The fate of Arniel was sealed in by the year end interviews from the players. When the team is already indicating they are behind him and there are limited other choices, reportedly they interviewed three people, it is time to stay the course.

It is interesting though Arniel talks already about analytics seeming to hint at changes coming in how the team uses them.

I think Arniel gets a pass on the season through Christmas but then the real evaluation period kicks in and we might be back in the head coach market next year if there is a quality candidate available. That said it is Arniel's job to lose at this point. If he magically lands the cup he will be the hero...

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 6:41 PM

Why are you guys upset? The Jets can not attract the top talent. It's been like 12 years now. The basics of NHL is Winnipeg.

Do I wish the Jets would go outside their comfort zone for once, 100%. Am I confident the Jets can actually attract a big name coach or player, not really.

Players seem to like Arniel I guess, as has been mentioned. At least he is open to analytics. Maybe we will finally see Connor and Scheifele split up.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 6:46 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Why are you guys upset? The Jets can not attract the top talent. It's been like 12 years now. The basics of NHL is Winnipeg.

Do I wish the Jets would go outside their comfort zone for once, 100%. Am I confident the Jets can actually attract a big name coach or player, not really.

Players seem to like Arniel I guess, as has been mentioned. At least he is open to analytics. Maybe we will finally see Connor and Scheifele split up.
I agree. Arniel isn't my first choice, but we got sniped that first playoff round because Colorado was able to adapt and we didn't. That's why we lost. No analytics, no looking at the weaknesses of the other team and try to exploit that- we stuck to the same game plan the entire series. That's what did us in.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 1:53 AM

Quote:

I don't get this narrative. Do you not consider, Hellebuyck, Schiefele and Morrissey as top talent? We attracted all of them to sign long term. What about Paul Maurice? We attracted him here...he is 3 wins away from the SCF. We have attracted tons of talent...there are probably 5 teams in the league that truly pull talent in on another tier than the rest of the league. But those same teams also make huge mistakes. Exhibit A: LA and PLD.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan