HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Leaving the titles aside. What would make a lot of sense is going back to the "good old days". Some 10-15 years ago, there was an early morning departure out of Saskatoon, Regina into Winnipeg. Then connecting flights to Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa.

For those of us where were living in Saskatchewan at the time that made WestJet remotely viable for flights going east.
I wouldn't mind that either. A time which didn't embody the spoke and hub model meant more freedom from the three largest Canadian airports (and Fortress Calgary) in terms of more direct flights to more destinations, however that doesn't look set to happen anytime soon. Places like YQR and YXE really get the short end of the stick under the spoke and hub model. I do hope that at lease with WS, the Regina and Saskatoon flights east will start to have more connection options in YWG instead of backtracking west to YYC which is a waste of time for travellers.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
Well I'm not going to get into semantics because there is only one 'hub' for WS (and I know hard core posters here get hung up on semantics); Fortress Calgary. But it's focus cities are definitely developing into regional hubs, which is what I'm talking about, and that is happening for YWG, regardless if other Canadian cities accept it or not.
People also need to remember how small some of these cities are. No, Winnipeg is not a hub. It will never be one, its too small and there isn't enough traffic to make it one.

What WestJet is doing is ensuring the business community of Manitoba uses WestJet as there first option. They need Montreal and Ottawa daily to ensure that continues in the market with Porter stepping up.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 2:22 PM

Quote:
WestJet propels Winnipeg's growth forward with new year-round, daily service to Montreal and Ottawa

Further expanding Winnipeg's transborder leisure network, WestJet to launch the only direct service to Nashville

WINNIPEG, MB, April 8, 2024 /CNW/ - WestJet today celebrated the latest additions to its Winnipeg network, featuring new year-round, daily service to Montreal, as well as increased, daily, year-round service to Ottawa, beginning June 3, 2024. WestJet also announced new highly anticipated seasonal service between Winnipeg and Nashville, set to take off on September 16, 2024, establishing the airline's seventh direct transborder connection out of Manitoba's capital city.

WestJet propels Winnipeg's growth forward with new year-round, daily service to Montreal and Ottawa (CNW Group/WESTJET, an Alberta Partnership)

WestJet's ongoing commitment to significantly enhancing Winnipeg's growing network of air connectivity, central to the airline's ambitious growth strategy, was on display today at a special event hosted at Winnipeg Richardson International Airport, attended by the Honourable Wab Kinew, Premier of Manitoba and Nick Hays, President and CEO, Winnipeg Airports Authority.

Providing choice and convenience for Winnipeg's thriving business community

"We know how critical Ottawa and Montreal are for Winnipeg's business community, and we are thrilled to continue supporting Winnipeg's economic growth through strategic air service," said Mike Scott, WestJet Group Executive Vice-President and Chief Financial Officer. "Expanding connectivity for Winnipeg is in direct response to our WestJet Rewards members and loyal business guests' need for reliable and convenient, non-stop service to and from both Ottawa and Montreal."

Start Date 3 June 2024

Winnipeg - Ottawa

Daily

Departure (local) 17:15

Arrival (local) 20:50

Ottawa - Winnipeg

Daily

June 3

Departure (local) 21:35

Arrival (local) 23:26

Winnipeg - Montreal

Daily

Start Date 3 June 2024

Departure (local) 9:35

Arrival (local)13:20

Montreal - Winnipeg

Daily

June 3

Departure (local) 14:20

Arrival (local) 16:30

"There's something exciting happening in Winnipeg and in Manitoba right now. People across the country are recognizing the opportunities we have here – from our incredible low-carbon economy, to our arts, culture, music and sports," said Premier Wab Kinew. "The addition of these routes is a part of that – making it easier to drive economic growth and attract visitors to our beautiful province."

Connecting Winnipeg and Music City

Further enhancing WestJet's position as Canada's leading leisure airline, WestJet will become the only airline providing direct connectivity between Winnipeg and Nashville this fall.

Winnipeg – Nashville

2x weekly

Start date September 16

End Date November 15

Depart (local) 11:10

Arrive (local) 14:20

Nashville - Winnipeg

2x weekly

Depart (local) 7:40

Arrive (local) 10:25

"Strong air connectivity unlocks a world of opportunities for all those who live and work in Manitoba, allowing them to embark on bold journeys while growing their roots at home," said Nick Hays, Winnipeg Airports Authority President & CEO. "We're greatly appreciative of WestJet's unwavering commitment to our community. Their continued growth at YWG and eagerness to work with us to launch new routes not only underscore the strength of our longstanding partnership but also exemplify our shared dedication to enhancing the region's economic and social wellbeing."

WestJet's 2024 schedule provides expansive coverage across Canada and increased access to popular leisure destinations across North America
With the addition of Montreal and Nashville, WestJet will connect Winnipeg to over 23 non-stop destinations this year.

https://westjet.mediaroom.com/2024-0...eal-and-Ottawa
The hyperbole is a little over the edge in Winnipeg. An airline add a flight to the national capital and one to the 2nd largest city in the country; plus 2x weekly flight for two months to a 2nd tier US city and it's made out as a huge victory; needing the Premier to be involved.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 3:27 PM

With Lynx now out of the way, WS are returning to YFC with the addition of twice weekly summer seasonal YYC-YFC service from 20JUN24 to 28OCT24.

YYC-YFC 0915-1700 days 24
YFC-YYC 1750-2005 days 24

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...872813306.html

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
With Lynx now out of the way, WS are returning to YFC with the addition of twice weekly summer seasonal YYC-YFC service from 20JUN24 to 28OCT24.

YYC-YFC 0915-1700 days 24
YFC-YYC 1750-2005 days 24

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...872813306.html
I figured this was coming with how well YQM did. This I believe marks YYC’s sixth destination in the maritimes.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 7:08 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't mind that either. A time which didn't embody the spoke and hub model meant more freedom from the three largest Canadian airports (and Fortress Calgary) in terms of more direct flights to more destinations, however that doesn't look set to happen anytime soon. Places like YQR and YXE really get the short end of the stick under the spoke and hub model. I do hope that at lease with WS, the Regina and Saskatoon flights east will start to have more connection options in YWG instead of backtracking west to YYC which is a waste of time for travellers.
YQR and YXE have been impacted by AC's post-lockdown focus on YVR, YYZ and YUL. O&D demand from the SK airports is probably higher to YOW than it is to YUL (as evidenced by the much shorter operational season, even with the routes now being independent of each other again), yet AC still shifted the summer seasonal to feed YUL and with YYC now just an AC focus city, those multi daily DH4s are now gone too.

YQR and YXE are chalking up wins like WS to MSP and YLW. I fully expect PD will add YOW-YQR & YXE daily year-round in the next 2 years. YQR-YYZ is the next logical add for PD.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 9:09 PM

Quote:
YQR and YXE have been impacted by AC's post-lockdown focus on YVR, YYZ and YUL. O&D demand from the SK airports is probably higher to YOW than it is to YUL (as evidenced by the much shorter operational season, even with the routes now being independent of each other again), yet AC still shifted the summer seasonal to feed YUL and with YYC now just an AC focus city, those multi daily DH4s are now gone too.

YQR and YXE are chalking up wins like WS to MSP and YLW. I fully expect PD will add YOW-YQR & YXE daily year-round in the next 2 years. YQR-YYZ is the next logical add for PD.
Maybe even sooner than 2 years. It looks like YOW is getting what YYZ is getting with PD except 6-12 months later (so far).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
Maybe even sooner than 2 years. It looks like YOW is getting what YYZ is getting with PD except 6-12 months later (so far).
YXE and YQR use to have Delta to MSP daily and United daily to Denver. So they are playing catchup.

Good to see PD going in. They have the right sized aircraft for destinations like these. I think WS is going to struggle as they replace their smaller 737 with large aircraft.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 10:03 PM

Quote:

You would think that PD would also expand their network in Victoria, and also want to enter the Kelowna market as well.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 10:20 PM

Quote:
You would think that PD would also expand their network in Victoria, and also want to enter the Kelowna market as well.
YLW to both YYZ and YOW and YYJ-YOW, I think are on the horizon eventually. YYJ-YOW would seem rather likely for summer 2025, especially if it's offered at the opposite time of the day to YYZ.

They're the only two capital cities not directly linked to YOW on at least a summer seasonal basis, so the seem like no-brainers at least in summer, but with enough connections, year-round.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
The hyperbole is a little over the edge in Winnipeg. An airline add a flight to the national capital and one to the 2nd largest city in the country; plus 2x weekly flight for two months to a 2nd tier US city and it's made out as a huge victory; needing the Premier to be involved.
You have to grasp any news you can lately, it seems. I have mocked the announcements on the Hamilton page when Play announces a new route from Iceland to somewhere in Europe and puts out a press release that "Play adds Hamilton to Berlin (or whatever city)". I joked that maybe London YXU should brag about our new destinations every time Air Canada adds a new flight somewhere from Toronto.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
I figured this was coming with how well YQM did. This I believe marks YYC’s sixth destination in the maritimes.
That’s great! WestJet continues on building up its Calgary YYC hub with new routes or increased flight frequencies.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 1:39 PM

Quote:
YLW for sure. They are waiting for Transport Canada approval for their E2 to operate certain approaches into YLW runway 34 - specifically the RNP.

Note - the jet can do it now... just doesn't have TC approval to operate below a certain threshold. And YLW can get some extremely variable weather.

Unlike AC, they can't sub a 737 into YLW instead of the A319 when the weather is poor.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
YLW for sure. They are waiting for Transport Canada approval for their E2 to operate certain approaches into YLW runway 34 - specifically the RNP.

Note - the jet can do it now... just doesn't have TC approval to operate below a certain threshold. And YLW can get some extremely variable weather.

Unlike AC, they can't sub a 737 into YLW instead of the A319 when the weather is poor.
Ah so that's why YLW-YYZ was pulled at the last minute from being announced last year.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Ah so that's why YLW-YYZ was pulled at the last minute from being announced last year.
Yes, it's my understanding that the RNP and LPV ratings were left out of the original TC approval as to not delay the aircraft overall approval.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 9:58 PM

Can AC's maxes fly RNP .1? As far as I know the only people doing an RNP onto 34 before March of this year was Westjet NG's. There is now .3 RNP limits for 34, but they are terrible and its just a better version of the old cloud break RNAV.

Would seem odd to not start YLW over an approach that most of the planes flying into there cant do, its really is only a problem a couple times per year.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post

Maybe they need to some Q400 based in Vancouver.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Maybe they need to some Q400 based in Vancouver.
Not gonna happen anytime soon. They don't even have enough crew for 3 lines of DH4 flying in the east and they need more - at least 8 additional DH4s to build up YOW, YHU & YHZ and rebuild YTZ so that the likes of YQG/YSB/YTS/YQB-YTZ can at least have a 2nd daily flight to the Island per day.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytol View Post
Can AC's maxes fly RNP .1?
Good question. I'll ask one of the pilots next time I'm at work.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 2:16 AM

I did some basic (and hopefully accurate) Westjet flight comparisons for this summer from their "secondary bases" or "focus cities" or whatever wording you want to use (ie. cities that are not Calgary = no formal status). Semantics aside, while Calgary is in a league of its own, the 5 next largest airports vary quite a bit, as you might expect. See below for the summary (again, I hope I didn't make any mistakes, I tried to be as thorough and carefully as possible, but if anyone wants to double check my math, be my guest, I won't be offended :

Week of Aug. 12-18, 2024

YVR
Total flights this week: 490
Total number of seats this week (approx.): 64,550
Total # of destinations this week: 33

YYZ
Total flights this week: 348
Total number of seats this week (approx.): 54,619
Total # of destinations this week: 39

YEG
Total flights this week: 347
Total number of seats this week (approx.): 49,567
Total # of destinations this week: 31

YWG
Total flights this week: 163
Total number of seats this week (approx.): 24,241
Total # of destinations this week: 14

YHZ
Total flights this week: 91
Total number of seats this week (approx.): 14,282
Total # of destinations this week: 10

Please correct me if YHZ isn't in 6th place (I didn't do the figures for YXE or YLW which I suspect might close on the list, I am burned out so will tackle it later). But I think YVR, YYZ, YEG and YWG are generally accepted to be the 'order of importance' after King Calgary.

YVR very clearly in 2nd place, especially by total flights (the gap between YVR and YYZ is much wider in terms of total # of flights, but in terms of seats offered, it's a narrower gap; this is because YYZ is strictly 737s, whereas YVR has 737s, DH4s, and the itty bitty Saabs, so the total seats from YYZ benefits). Nonetheless, YVR still has slightly more mainline flights than YYZ (353 vs. 348), but it's the Encore (and to a less extent, Link) that boost YVR. The reason why YYZ has the most destinations is because there are a ton of sun destinations even in the summer, with varying frequencies (16 destinations served at least once a week across Mexico/Caribbean/Central America). These sun destinations are one of the remaining strengths for WS at YYZ. They obliterated domestic (it's still respectable, but compared to it's peak, they got rid of a lot of frequency, capacity, and even destinations). Transborder is decent, but still far from what they had before (YVR has more destinations and more flights total than YYZ, which was absolutely not the case before).

I found it very interesting just how close YYZ and YEG are in terms of total # of flights! 348 vs. 347 (and I probably over or under counted somewhere so let's call it identical). Virtually the exact same # of flights for both airports. YYZ still wins in terms of seats, and destinations served, but overall the two airports are about the same amount of activity.

But then things really fall off a cliff. YWG has more or less half the flight frequency as YEG, half the seat count, and half the destinations. So a huge difference, even including the YWG gains. And then YHZ, slightly under half the # of flights as YWG, about 60% of YWG's seat count, and similar destinations served.

When I summon up some stamina I will tackle YYC, that should be intense. But it is very clear the numbers back up the message from WS that YYC is in a league of it's own. YVR would be considered a focus city by many AV geeks, based on it's totals being significantly higher than the next two. Not only that, but YVR's destination list and flight frequencies "look" the most like a focus city (a strong regional feed domestically via Encore and Link is a big factor, YVR is much more a domestic collector/connector for WS than YYZ is, and more than YEG. Then the transborder network is strong, with domestic pax connecting on. Don't forget that there is also a decent amount of inbound domestic pax on WS connecting to Asia thru YVR. WS codeshares with Japan Airlines, Korean Airlines, Xiamen Airlines, China Airlines, Philippine Airlines, and Qantas (sometimes only in one direction ie. China Airlines puts their code on YVR-YYC, but WS doesn't get their code on YVR-TPE?). But either way, WS has international presence at YVR even if they don't fly overseas with their own aircraft. Their relationships with many of the SkyTeam and OneWorld members is very entrenched. I'm telling you, there is a very a healthy amount of WS pax from all over Canada on Qantas' YVR-SYD flights, so it isn't insignificant. Ditto with Philippines and China Airlines, lots of AB folk connecting in YVR from WS to these foreign carriers.

The international front is where YYZ still looks like a base. But when they lost so many domestic links and Encore entirely, it lessened the inbound/outbound connection potential. But there absolutely is still connections across sectors (ie. Canadians from the entire domestic network would connect in YYZ if going to most of the Caribbean. Even YYC isn't close to YYZ's coverage, and especially if going to the more "exotic" places like Bonaire, Cozumel, or even Dominican. YYZ would still be collecting inbound connections for lots of places, I just don't know how much of these flights are filled with locals from the GTA or people from the ROC. YYZ also super strong in Florida coverage, it is essentially the connection point for them just like the Caribbean. YYC has surprisingly meh service to Florida, considering how dominant they are in all other areas (yes I know it's summer season but still, no flights to MIA or FLL, and only 5x weekly to ORL). So YYZ is the defacto jump-off for Florida travel. But still, much lower than I would have guessed TBH. And I didn't realize WS didn't serve MIA at all from any Canadian airport. I think I can remember times when it was served, but can't remember frequencies or even from which airports, but I think YYZ and maybe even YYC at some point? I know they serve FLL (very close), but for some reason I think MIA is an important airport to have connectivity to, and with WS's transborder stampede linking tons of unlikely pairs (sorry YWG, but BNA for you is very out of the blue), it is surprising to see MIA is totally absent from their network.

WS is absolutely nothing at YUL, they are 1/4 of YHZ even. Could be one of the factors in Porter expanding, they don't have AC plus another strong airlines, much easier to build up than with WS competing with them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada