Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 2:14 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Toronto at 61.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 2:21 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
SF is at 49, after a DPW worker was shot dead this morning while cleaning up graffiti in the mission district.
what a coward. hope he gets the chair.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 2:33 AM

Portland has 16 murders/18 homicides after a victim in a stabbing a couple weeks ago died in the hospital:

Stabbing Victim Succumbs to Injuries -- Suspect Indicted for Murder

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
what a coward. hope he gets the chair.
Yeah, it was a young father who had been working for DPW for a year, who had previously been working with a city program to keep disadvantaged youth out of gangs and such. Apparently he was involved with shady stuff when he was younger, but he actually got out of it, helped people, and became successful. Either an enemy from his past life wanted to kill him after all these years, or some asshole killed him simply for painting over gang graffiti or looking at them wrong or something. He was wearing his orange vest and everything, so it's not like he would have been mistaken for a gang member. And situations like this have played over countless times in this city and throughout America...they're almost a stereotype. Even when people really try hard, it can sometimes be impossible to escape the violence that plagues certain neighborhoods.

It's not the first time this year that someone has been murdered on the street in SF while just doing their job. Several months ago a construction worker was stabbed to death after telling some tweakers to stop shooting up/fondling each other in the workers' porta potty. Those same people non-fatally stabbed another person in an identical incident the previous week, but weren't caught.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it was a young father who had been working for DPW for a year, who had previously been working with a city program to keep disadvantaged youth out of gangs and such. Apparently he was involved with shady stuff when he was younger, but he actually got out of it, helped people, and became successful. Either an enemy from his past life wanted to kill him after all these years, or some asshole killed him simply for painting over gang graffiti or looking at them wrong or something. He was wearing his orange vest and everything, so it's not like he would have been mistaken for a gang member. And situations like this have played over countless times in this city and throughout America...they're almost a stereotype. Even when people really try hard, it can sometimes be impossible to escape the violence that plagues certain neighborhoods.

It's not the first time this year that someone has been murdered on the street in SF while just doing their job. Several months ago a construction worker was stabbed to death after telling some tweakers to stop shooting up/fondling each other in the workers' porta potty. Those same people non-fatally stabbed another person in an identical incident the previous week, but weren't caught.
Its sick. Almost every weekend there pops up some gang graffiti in my parking garage(public). The city usually takes care of it, eventually. But it pisses me off. I feel like just painting over it myself but then I have to factor in my safety.

Gang members can all go to hell, they do zero but hurt and take from their communities.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 4:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Its sick. Almost every weekend there pops up some gang graffiti in my parking garage(public). The city usually takes care of it, eventually. But it pisses me off. I feel like just painting over it myself but then I have to factor in my safety.

Gang members can all go to hell, they do zero but hurt and take from their communities.
LA spends about $7 million annually to paint over graffiti. Imagine if the city could free up those dollars to be spent on other programs.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
Toronto at 61.
If December is very quiet (1 or 2 homicides), we'll end up with a pretty average total after a horrible first few months.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 4:19 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Front page of CNN right now. Chicago hits 700 murders.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/01/us/chi...des/index.html

Places I would be terrified to live:

1. Syria
2. Northern Mexico
3. Southisde of Chicago

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
LA spends about $7 million annually to paint over graffiti. Imagine if the city could free up those dollars to be spent on other programs.
I agree, they call it petty crimes, but would less people do it if it came with a mandatory 10 year sentence?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Front page of CNN right now. Chicago hits 700 murders.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/01/us/chi...des/index.html

1. Syria
2. Northern Mexico
3. Southisde of Chicago
i love corporate media. "guns are driving the violence"....why don't they just say, gang members are driving the violence. america doesn't have a gun problem, we have a degenerate problem.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post

1. Syria
2. Northern Mexico
3. Southisde of Chicago
Unless you're black or latino (especially if young), buying drugs, looking for trouble, walking around drunk at 3am, or involved in criminal activities, you usually don't have to worry much about violent crime in any of America's ghettoes. If you dont fit any of those criteria, the most likely worst case scenario is you get robbed.

And its kind of silly that you're lumping chicago in with cartel violence in mexico. And its kind of silly that you're lumping both of those in with literal total war in Syria.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 12:21 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
i love corporate media. "guns are driving the violence"....why don't they just say, gang members are driving the violence. america doesn't have a gun problem, we have a degenerate problem.
The US has a massive, massive, massive GUN PROBLEM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Unless you're black or latino (especially if young), buying drugs, looking for trouble, walking around drunk at 3am, or involved in criminal activities, you usually don't have to worry much about violent crime in any of America's ghettoes. If you dont fit any of those criteria, the most likely worst case scenario is you get robbed.
Not true at all. Plenty of innocent bystanders have been killed by gunfire in Chicago, including small children.

Just one of countless examples:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...ory-story.html

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 2:06 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
The US has a massive, massive, massive GUN PROBLEM.
so does Edmonton, apparently.

Anyhow, I suggest you go back and read the post about Chicago gangs

young African Americans commit 20x more gun homicides per capita than white males of the same age, according to analysis by fivethirtyeight.

the solution of gun crime in America will be about getting this population to commit fewer gun murders.

for the rest of us, there not much more of a gun problem.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 2:57 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

the solution is to promote intact, two parent families in every way possible. since the 1970s, children being born out of wedlock has become a rampant epidemic in the hood. you dont have kids looking for surrogate families in gangs, grafitti & carrying guns if the father was around every day to whip their ass, spend quality time and be a role model.

i found a quote i could not agree more with on that:

Looking at the troubling statistics, is it reasonable to be reminded of Don Lemon's (a Black, CNN anchor) somewhat famous and controversial comments during the George Zimmerman acquittal in 2013:

"'Black people,' Lemon said, 'if you really want to fix the problem, here's just five things that you should think about doing.'

The No. 1 item on that list -- 'and probably the most important,' he said -- had to do with out-of-wedlock births.

'Just because you can have a baby, it doesn't mean you should,' Lemon said. 'Especially without planning for one or getting married first. More than 72 percent of children in the African-American community are born out of wedlock. That means absent fathers. And the studies show that lack of a male role model is an express train right to prison and the cycle continues.'"

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 3:26 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i think we are nearing 300 for metro st. louis...which seems almost like an order of magnitude worse than chicago..

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 3:27 AM

i'm going to go drink, now.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 3:33 AM

america has all kinds of problems, and we are playing with guns to boot.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 7:05 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:

And its kind of silly that you're lumping chicago in with cartel violence in mexico. And its kind of silly that you're lumping both of those in with literal total war in Syria.
I usually agree with your posts tech12 but I have to disagree with some of what you said here.

I am acutely aware of which city circumstances to avoid or at least be cautious about.
First of all, I am no scaredy cat. I live on the Northside of Pittsburgh which is not known as the safest of areas, even though my neighborhood is pretty quiet. I am a home owner with a modest brick townhouse. My next door neighbor who's townhouse is attached to mine had his house broken into about two weeks ago and his car stolen right out of his integral garage. The thief took his car keys (and car), a new watch sitting out in his kitchen (worth like $10) and interestingly enough a box of Oreos. Turns out after 5 more car thefts in my neighborhood it was a teenage high school girl doing burglaries as initiation into a gang.
A week later i come home from a concert with my gf and I couldn't even get to my house because the street was shut down, my house surrounded by police SUV's, lights a-blazing with one cop parked in my driveway and a car with blown out tires nearby. It was a car chase that ended and they were chasing the criminal (who had stolen a car) through our backyards. I couldn't stay at my house that night because i had just come home from a concert & had just enough beers in me to be worried about catching a DUI if they started asking me questions. Anyway, that is the context here. These types of events do not compel me to want to move.

You are super wrong about gun violence only affecting the corner boys and the dealers. There is a TON of collateral deaths, children, mothers, babies. I personally know two teenage girls who lost their lives because they were mistaken for someone else and their car and bodies were riddled with bullets sitting at a stop light in the middle of the day.

And what do those three places I listed have in common? Violence. I don't want to die painfully. You didn't see a common thread there? Was that such a controversial statement?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
for the rest of us, there not much more of a gun problem.
Yeah, tell that to the families of the innocent bystanders who have been killed by bullets.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions