HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
9 bars and restaurants plus a designated space for food trucks isn't enough??? Do you want a public space or a theme park?
Fair comment. Halifax's waterfront on a nice summer's day can be crowded and a bit chaotic. Still, the energy from that atmosphere can have a certain attraction too. While I still have concerns I'll wait and see what the new Loyalist Plaza/Market Square boardwalk area looks like and how much use it gets.

I suppose we won't really know until Fundy Quay is largely finished and we see how much outwardly facing commercial/retail space it has and what kind of traffic that draws.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Fair comment. Halifax's waterfront on a nice summer's day can be crowded and a bit chaotic. Still, the energy from that atmosphere can have a certain attraction too. While I still have concerns I'll wait and see what the new Loyalist Plaza/Market Square boardwalk area looks like and how much use it gets.

I suppose we won't really know until Fundy Quay is largely finished and we see how much outwardly facing commercial/retail space it has and what kind of traffic that draws.
The difference between the public space in the past and when it is all completed is that there will be more residents in the immediate vicinity, which will add to the feeling of vibrancy at all hours thanks to the movement of people coming and going at the very least. Depending on occupancy, Fundy Quay will have 1000-1200 people living on a wharf that hasn't had residents before. That on top of the peninsula's population growing in recent years for the first time in decades will no doubt make the whole area a lot more engaging than it has been IMO.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 1:24 PM

Quote:

AFAIK the two Water St-side buildings and the parking garage will have street level commercial, and all of it is outwardly-facing. I don't think the first building does.

My issue with Loyalist Plaza is the goofy pavers and crowding of weird little features like the rink, the 'islands' and so on. The pavers won't hold up well with our typical freeze/thaw cycle. Should have gone for a grassy, treed, symmetrical 'traditional town square' look with an open concrete area in front of the stage.

It's a shame the city didn't arrange for the volleyball courts to be added to 506 or behind the stage. I don't play, but they brought a nice energy to the area. Maybe a temporary site where the northeast building will go? You just need a fence, a net, and a couple truckloads of sand. Somehow this would cost the city like two million dollars and would be delayed until October, but it could be done dirt cheap in less than a week.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
AFAIK the two Water St-side buildings and the parking garage will have street level commercial, and all of it is outwardly-facing. I don't think the first building does.

My issue with Loyalist Plaza is the goofy pavers and crowding of weird little features like the rink, the 'islands' and so on. The pavers won't hold up well with our typical freeze/thaw cycle. Should have gone for a grassy, treed, symmetrical 'traditional town square' look with an open concrete area in front of the stage.

It's a shame the city didn't arrange for the volleyball courts to be added to 506 or behind the stage. I don't play, but they brought a nice energy to the area. Maybe a temporary site where the northeast building will go? You just need a fence, a net, and a couple truckloads of sand. Somehow this would cost the city like two million dollars and would be delayed until October, but it could be done dirt cheap in less than a week.
I'd hope to see more harbour facing commercial opening onto Harbour Passage the way things front on the Halifax boardwalk. (Thinks storefront/cafe/patio etc, then pedestrian area then the water's edge.) Either seasonal kiosks or stores/cafes etc able to open up their frontage in good weather to make them more part of the space.

I'd agree that the pavers, little concrete islands, curving paths etc etc might look good but seem somewhat contrived and more "artsy" than of practical use. I mean, I'm sure it will look pretty ( and that matters) but what are people going to do when they get there? What's to make them come there in the first place?

100% agree on the beach volleyball courts. The area needs things for people to come and either do or watch in order to draw the public. Skating is fine but that is going to be what? 10 -14 weeks out of 52 at best? The Rothesay Common rink seems busy everytime I go by so maybe there is some hope for this feature. I wonder if they will use it for pickup basketball or ball hockey in summer like they do on the commom?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
The difference between the public space in the past and when it is all completed is that there will be more residents in the immediate vicinity, which will add to the feeling of vibrancy at all hours thanks to the movement of people coming and going at the very least. Depending on occupancy, Fundy Quay will have 1000-1200 people living on a wharf that hasn't had residents before. That on top of the peninsula's population growing in recent years for the first time in decades will no doubt make the whole area a lot more engaging than it has been IMO.
You're right. That will definitely help.....and help support more commercial spaces.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post

Re: pavers - the freeze / thaw was considered. It’s the reason they are being laid on a 6” foundation of aggregate just to prevent that very thing. The aggregate does not hold moisture, therefore no heaves. And the skating oval is not small as people keep commenting - it’s roughly 70% of the circumference of a city arena, which is plenty for skating in circles and not playing hockey. Look at this photo and then trailers, trucks and people crossing the street for scale. When you see a workman walking on the skating oval, they look surprisingly small. Although I can appreciate we all have different opinions what it should look like, in fairness the residents were given an opportunity to envision what they wanted and this is the final product after the public consultation sessions.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by cdnguys; Dec 14, 2023 at 4:38 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 12:15 AM

To me looks like pilings are going in for 2nd building too

[IMG] [/IMG]

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 2:47 PM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
[IMG] [/IMG]
For reference:

Hard to tell from that angle but it looks like just the one building. I hope you’re right tho.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 2:55 PM

Checking the webcam this morning, full of activity.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 4:23 PM

I had wondered about the pilings going in for the 2nd building too, but I think it's just that the first building has such a large footprint compared to the others in the site design that it is a bit misleading when you look at the empty site.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 3:55 PM
Unregistered Loser

Definitely looks like just the first building so far. Is it just me or does it seem the skating area butts right against the stage? Looks kinda crowded.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 4:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
[Is it just me or does it seem the skating area butts right against the stage? Looks kinda crowded.
It's pretty much the same thing with the Ian Fowler Oval and the stage on the plaza in front of the Avenir Centre in Moncton. The rink surface does double duty as an audience area when the stage is used for concerts (especially in the summer).

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It's pretty much the same thing with the Ian Fowler Oval and the stage on the plaza in front of the Avenir Centre in Moncton. The rink surface does double duty as an audience area when the stage is used for concerts (especially in the summer).
You know, I think I liked it better with the reflecting pool and the tugboat bar.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 4:22 PM

Wayne Long posted pictures of the steel going up now for the new all season restaurant patios on the boardwalk.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 1:15 AM

The first building is listed on CCD Canada's Top 50 Projects lists. Valued at $21-million.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Wayne Long posted pictures of the steel going up now for the new all season restaurant patios on the boardwalk.

What exactly is the design these patios? Will they have the ability to be open air in the summer (totally open?.... or open front and sides? glass roof or solid?) or are the enclosures fixed?

Last edited by sailor734; Jan 6, 2024 at 1:00 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 1:50 PM

Quote:
What exactly is the design these patios? Will they have the ability to be open air in the summer (totally open?.... or open front and sides? glass roof or solid?) or are the enclosures fixed?
It was mentioned by the the city's commissioner of utilities and infrastructure that the patios will have retractable glass roofs and enclosures. https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio...athering-space

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 10:23 PM

The city CAO gave an update at tonight's council meeting about the private sector portion of Fundy Quay.

Developer is estimating another 4 more weeks of pile driving work, (weather permitting). Then once completed, they will begin construction of the concrete foundation.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 10:35 PM

Quote:
It was mentioned by the the city's commissioner of utilities and infrastructure that the patios will have retractable glass roofs and enclosures. https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio...athering-space
Nice! Sounds like the design is the right one for the job.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Has there been any news to the materials being shipped and the patios being worked on? Been out of the city for a few weeks and the cameras don't catch the patios ha.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces