HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 2:51 AM
Honored Member

Question Albertsons and Other; Location of Idaho Falls Events and Convention Center

Hi Everyone,

One reassuring stores I always felt better after seeing the sign, was Albertsons in various states where I was working. I am really sad to see this happen.

Just a couple of fine points which may or may not make a difference in the overall discussion.

Not ALL the Utah Albertsons have been sold to Associated Foods and become that new name. I can never remember it. That is not a good sign for a grocery store when someone who has shopped there a couple of times can't remember anything more than the picture of the apple on the sign.

[B]MOST of the Utah stores were sold, but not all. Some are still on the market, but continue to be Albertsons at this time Some think Albertsons may remain in a few areas of Utah.

[B] It depended on a lot of different factors and I can't even remember where I read all of this info, I believe it was directly from the Albertson's website. One factor is two different Asociated Foods brand name stores (Dan's and Harmon's) already in Utah had their niche of the market share. The new ???? (name I can't remember) is going to have to work hard to determine where they fit in.

What shocked me the first ime I saw it was the first WinCo in Utah. I'm not positive, but I don't know that WinCo had built any other stores outside of Idaho when they built the one in the huge 7200 South Development.

When I lived in Boise I shopped at the original site of the first Albertsons. It makes me sad to hear about the changes.

So I.F. Guy, in your opinion, do you think WinCo or Broulims would be the ones to locate on W. Broadway (if not both with a little time)? I mean to essentially take over right now, is the market stronger for one of those stores than the other, from your perspective?

What's happening with Sunnyside Crossroads? I haven't been out that way for a while.

And why isn't anyone talking about the events center for Idaho Falls here and the info released last week? How many locations did they really have to look at, I mean seriously where else did they look? DUH!

So let's get talking as there has been some real work going on, with some fromt he City Council. If they let Ball Ventures be in charge, this would get done. With others......... well, we might all be another decade older before something more than site identiication occurs.

Let's get caught up on what we know.

Thanks,

N2I.F..

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 3:20 AM

I agree about "Fresh Market," it's a very forgettable name. I've reminded my mom three times already of what the name is. It's more of a description (though, perhaps not accurate) than a name.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 3:31 AM

Everyone I know out here had negative things to say about Albertsons well before they changed names, so I think a new name could be a 'fresh' start.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 4:51 AM

I wish I had something of substance to post. I hope the convention center goes up somewhere near historic downtown. It would be great for the already existing services and hotels.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 5:00 AM

Are there renderings of this convention center?

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Everyone I know out here had negative things to say about Albertsons well before they changed names, so I think a new name could be a 'fresh' start.

When I lived in Salt Lake I always thought the Albertsons there and the others I went to in Utah were below par and kind of dumpy and it wasn't a secret either. Other people I knew from other states felt the same way about Salt Lake area Albertsons which was a shame because at the time Albertsons were all over the Wasatch Front. The two downtown, on North Temple and I think it was 2nd or 3rd South were horrible with the homeless in the lots and detectors in the entries and cops stationed in the parking lots...yikes! And the stores needed upgrades in a big way. It seemed like Albies kind of let their Utah stores lag while stores in other states were nice and clean. I am sure that is why Albertsons had a reputation in Utah/SLC, but I hated Smiths and felt they were dumpy ..so go figure.
The Albertsons here in Boise and other Idaho cities are a totally different animal than the stores I went to in Utah. Most in Boise are newer or remodeled with an almost upscale look to them.

++++++

Back to the convention center, hasn't the anti convention center hotel owner from Boise fought one being built in Idaho Falls like he has in other cities in the state? He is a slob

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 12:47 AM

That's true Cottonwood, though I think that was more of a inner city Salt Lake thing as the Smith's look the same (ugly and dirty). Here in Logan there's a nice / clean Albertson's right across from a Smith's and everyone always complained about their high prices. Maybe that was just towards the end when they weren't doing as well.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 3:50 PM
Honored Member

Lightbulb Newer Stores Better

The newer Albertsons stores in Utah are on par with what is in most Boise/Idaho Falls stores, minus the booze. I always laugh about that.

I agree, the one described on 2nd South (I think that's the address, close to Crown Burger) was a dive. However, the suburban Salt Lake County ones were NOT. That is partially why Albertsons stil owns some in UT. Unless they just sold them last week, Albertsons kept some of their stores in Utah.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 10:05 PM

Restaurant

What's happening with Sunnyside Crossroads? I haven't been out that way for a while.

N2I.F..[/QUOTE]

An "eatery" by the name of "Ole Toro", is taking shape at SC, just north of the "Sleep Inn". I suspect it wont be long before it's open.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop culture View Post

N2I.F..

An "eatery" by the name of "Ole Toro", is taking shape at SC, just north of the "Sleep Inn". I suspect it wont be long before it's open.[/QUOTE]

A little more info for you to peek upon. I don't hear alot about Sunnyside Crossroads from the media so I find myself checking out their website to get my fix.

http://www.sunnysidecrossroads.com/siteplan.html

Already have plans for a bank, a gas station, restaurants and what looks to be another hotel on the south side of the development.

Should see Ryder Park continue construction this spring, hopefully that spurns some investment as well. The big thing for me will be how the events center is paid for and when construction can begin.

For me the timing of the construction on the events center will be perfect. As it seems we are waiting on loan guarantees for Areva, we may have two projects, (one huge, one big) going up at the same time. This should bring plenty of job seekers to the area looking for trade work. And don't forget while all of this is happening there will be companies expanding into this area as far as shops and restaurants go.

I think that Idaho Falls is going to go through a growth cycle even bigger than the last and may even last longer than a decade.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 6:30 AM

http://www.kidk.com/news/local/83079332.html

Here's some more good news. Five years of construction or more on the INL campus in town, plus construction should start this spring on the $30 million dollar building that was announced last summer. I find it interesting that included in this campus is a second CAES building. It only opened a year ago and already there are talks of expansion. More research jobs in Idaho Falls is a good thing. Talk about a diversified economy... just wish there was a university here.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 5:05 AM

Check out the picture that the new downtown development director posted. It portrays just an "idea" of what downtown IF could look like in 2060. Kinda neat to look at.

http://downtownidahofalls.com/future.html

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 1:50 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy View Post
Check out the picture that the new downtown development director posted. It portrays just an "idea" of what downtown IF could look like in 2060. Kinda neat to look at.

Idaho Falls does have the potential for a skyline and I like the forward thinking of progression of my hometown shown in the picture. The temple and the hotel off of Broadway are dwarfed in this "What I.F." pic. It's clever. Thanks for posting this info IFguy.

http://downtownidahofalls.com/images/
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 2:37 AM

IFguy, would you happen to have a link to a larger version of your avatar?

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 5:49 AM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
IFguy, would you happen to have a link to a larger version of your avatar?
http://www.idahoairships.com/wp-cont...sdusk5_08a.jpg

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 7:40 AM

Thanks. That shot is quite spectacular for little Idaho Falls.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Mar 14, 2010, 3:01 AM

That is clever. I would love to see a skyline like that in Idaho Falls.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 10:33 PM

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 10:37 PM

http://www.kidk.com/news/local/87942897.html

Bout' time for this project. Next step is overpasses for the county roads.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy View Post

That would be pretty impressive, but pretty unrealistic. The IF metro area would have to be around a million, at least, to support a downtown that size. That just isn't happening. The day IF has a skyline like that with a pop of 1 million, SLC would have have an MSA of at least 6-7 million and Boise would need to be upwards of 3-4 million. Not tryin to be a downer, but this just isn't happening. I mean, maybe IF should get one 10+ story tower first and then go from there.

It would be cool to have another major metro area in the state aside from Boise tho, and if anywhere will, it will be Idaho Falls.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West