HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 12:53 PM

RBC on Arthur

the RBC in Victoriaville and the one in Northwood (corner of Edward and Redwood) are closing, they are building a new larger branch on Arthur street at the site of the former Ritz Hotel/Motel (?)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 7:04 PM
I am a typical

We're closing our RBC account and switching to Scotiabank because of it. This is the second decision they've made that makes banking with them more difficult for us.

West Hotel and ANAF pics:

Around 5:20am

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7245/im002302.jpg
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/4697/im002314.jpg
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/5686/im002320.jpg

8:20am:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9632/im002336.jpg

10:15am:

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3710/im002369.jpg

TBNewsWatch has some cool photos here. Fires look much better when you have a real camera.

Last time I checked (12:50), all that was left standing were the walls of the ANAF building, including a small part of the facade of the West Hotel beside it. They're probably completely down now. It is still smouldering, probably will be until tomorrow sometime. (It took about 40 hours for the Triple Nickel to stop burning.) The West Hotel was scheduled to be demolished by Taranis (same people who did PAGH) next week sometime. I don't know exactly what happens now, but I imagine Taranis is also qualified to clean up something like this.

Took a walk around Port Arthur this morning:

Waverly Park Towers:

A more contemporary look. Still an ugly building but less ugly than it was before. I'll definitely have to re-draw it for the diagrams.

---

The small building behind Living Concepts on Park Avenue. This should not have been allowed to be built so far back from the street. Judging by the design I would guess this is probably going to be a dental surgery or something.

---

Hard to see in this photo (probably impossible to see on a CRT monitor) but the back of the Jack's building at the corner of Cumberland and Park has been plastered, I guess they're putting siding on it or something?

---

Gargoyles Grille and Ale has colonized the building to the left, not sure what they're doing with it but it looks good. The main floor could have been designed better though.

---

For sale signs have been removed from this building (formerly Trip Outdoors) and people were doing stuff in there. Hopefully a new business of some sort is opening soon. (There were quite a few new businesses downtown that weren't there last time I walked around it, it's looking good.) Local Colour Art Gallery has been open for a couple weeks now, too. I was hoping they'd freshen up the paint job on the second floor but I guess they aren't doing that?

---

Scaffolding around the main floor of Whalen Building. Not sure exactly what is going on, I imagine they're freshening it up to make it more attractive to the technology companies they're trying to get to move in. I think Hydro will be moving out of it soon; I can't remember if the Strategic Plan mentions that or not.

---

I don't have any photos of the DSSAB site (didn't have my camera with me for that trip) but there are two pits, all wires but the telephone line have been removed from the hydro poles that ran across the street. I think foundation work is supposed to begin within a month.

Blue tarp has been put on the fences around the former Brodie Street Parking Lot but no work is being done on the courthouse site yet.

PAGH demolition shots by er1danus at Flickr, plus one more by beverlyks.

I'm going to try to get down to Westfort to get some photos of changes around there (the Janzens is apparently open now), and I'll get some more photos of the West Hotel fire aftermath.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 3:04 AM
I am a typical

The design for the EMS centre was revealed today. It's a huge building, and the design (they said it is welcoming) looks quite cold, but renderings are seldom accurate. I hope they tear down the EMS building at the corner of Simpson and Donald, it causes way to many problems with traffic, being so close to the street like that.

The West Hotel and ANAF are in the latter stages of clean up, and the Inntowner is under demolition.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 6:03 PM
I am a typical

Couple new businesses on Court. Well, one replacing one that left and another possibly just renamed. Still, yet another change in DTPA.

Retro diner. Looks pretty neat.

807 Nightclub is now called Odeon, still sells Italian food.

--

Bridges on TCH near Nipigon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Presenting the Mackenzie River Twins ... 12 months from mucking to girder span.

Pictures: Mine

While not quite as impressive as Kicking Horse - or Little Pic - as it will have open side rails, it will still be a cool view!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 10:37 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Bridges on TCH near Nipigon:
Well to be accurate, they really aren't near Nipigon at all - just east of Lakeshore and TCH intersection ... don't want to give people false hope that the TCH from T Bay to Nipigon is getting twinned!!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 7:34 PM
I am a typical

I thought they were building twin bridges just east of Nipigon? Or is that just a bridge replacement/realignment?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2010, 3:12 PM
Beer me Captain

^^ not sure, will find out, though I really doubt there is any twinning going on there.

Just to confirm, the photos shown are the new bridges being built for the new TCH section from Hodder east. It will be joining the old TCH alignment just east of the Mackenzie Heights road.

If you know where Mackenzie falls is located, these bridges are about 1 km down river. Of if you know where the Mackenzie hotel is located, these bridges are located about a half a klick upriver.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 12:19 PM
I am a typical

I don't really know where McKenzie Falls is located but I know where the highway is going.

MJLB construction update from November 1:

Looks like they'll finish by the end of March after all.

Thunder Bay Country Club (on Golf Links) is replacing their club house with a 4 story condo in the "We want this to look rustic but at an absurdly large scale" style of architecture. It actually doesn't look too bad and that area has pretty good views of the city, I'm sure they'll do well.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 1:23 PM

Approximate location of new spans: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...=UTF8&t=h&z=15

Also the site of a major archaeological find; dates back ~9000 years or so.

The Nipigon River Bridge and three kilometres on either side are due to be four-laned in 2011. I can't find any clear details on the bridge, but Lake Helen thinks they're planning on rebuilding the existing bridge into a single 4-lane span.

Magic 99.9 is reporting that a Hampton Inn is to be located on airport lands off Arthur.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 2:42 AM
I am a typical

They had a meeting tonight at West Arthur Community Centre. It will be located on the empty field west of Landale Gardens and Tim Hortons. Hampton Inn is part of the Hilton chain, so I am now 99.9% sure that it is Delta that is looking into the waterfront project. (Basing this mostly on the project they did in Sault though, it could be someone else. Maybe CanadInns but that isn't really luxury, though they usually combine their hotels with big projects, like the arena/convention centre in Brandon.)

Dennis Franklin Cromarty is looking into building a residence for about 120 students on their property, they want to start construction as soon as possible.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 8:57 AM
I am a typical

A vision for the iron ore dock.

There are a few cool photos of it as it exists, but here are some renders of what could be:

All images ©iodpark at Flickr. The renderings were made by Brook McIlroy, the team that designed Prince Arthur's Landing.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 12:20 AM

Hi I was wondering if someone could tell me where the more affluent residents in Thunder Bay live?
- Thanks

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super39 View Post
Hi I was wondering if someone could tell me where the more affluent residents in Thunder Bay live?
- Thanks
There really isn't one single high wealth area in Thunder Bay. There are a few areas in Port Arthur like Hillcrest Park and Lakeshore Dr. That have large houses. There are also a few areas in Fort William that have some pretty large expensive houses like around Vicars Park and Rosslyn Road.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 1:46 AM
I am a typical

This is all off the top of my head but should give you an idea:

Within the city, it is the areas around Hillcrest Park (especially along High, Summit and Winnipeg avenues), the area along Court Street between River and Clavet (especially on the west side of the street, which has impressive views of the lake) in Port Arthur, and the area bounded by Arthur, the CN Mainline, Walsh, and Syndicate in Fort William. These are the "old money" neighbourhoods (though they don't have much old money left), the houses are impressive but many are multi-unit now. There are still a lot of upper middle class families in those areas though, and they are more well off than almost everyone else in the city.

The richest people in the city live in in the subdivisions along Highway 61, south of the Kam river, in estates throughout the rural northwest part of the city (especially along Oliver and Government roads), in the unincorporated area of Lappe/Kaministiquia (aka Gorham and Ware), and along the lakeshore in Shuniah and Neebing.

If you're considering buying, the options are: North and northwest of the city, a middle-of-the-woods pioneer setting with a mix of people and professions. Good hunting/nature watching. Cost: $$/$$$$$ Average Income: $$/$$$$$ Scenery: 2/5 (boring unless you like trees or score a lake lot)

Southwest of the city, a lot of people in the business field (lawers, doctors, prominent businessment), basically the area plays the role the historic old-money neighbourhoods played 100 years ago. Probably good business connections there. Lots of golfing. Cost $$$ Average Income $$$$ Scenery: 5/5 if you get a mountain view. 1/5 if you don't.

Along the lake and in Silver Islet, rustic lake shore retreat, but its getting crowded. Mostly retirees. Cost $$$$ Average Income $$$ Scenery: 6/5 best in central Canada

Fort William's Inner city old money historic mansions area: mix of people and professions, but very attractive neighbourhoods if you like an urban setting. Notable residents include regional politicians, lawyers and doctors, and university students renting multi-unit conversions. Increasing senior population. Nice buildings and tree lined streets, but poor people live near by and there is a high school in the neighbourhood. The areas along Arthur and Syndicate are blighted but improving. Cost $ Average Income $$ Scenery: 2.5/5.

Port Arthur's old money areas: mix of people and professions, but very attractive neighbourhoods if you like an urban setting. Notable residents include regional politicians, lawyers and doctors, and university students renting multi-unit conversions. Increasing senior population. Nice buildings and tree lined streets. Adjacent to less wealthy neighbourhoods. The south end of the Hillcrest Area (near John Street) isn't very attractive but is improving. The area around the intersection of High and Beresford near Hillcrest Park is the most sought after part--houses valued at well over a million but sell for around 600,000. Cost: $$$ Average income: $$$ Scenery: 5/5 if you have a lake view, 2/5 if you don't.

Here is a map to give you an idea of where this stuff is located: http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4784/image2993.png

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 9:35 PM
I am a typical

Say hello to our new Courthouse:

©Plenary Group / Plenary Justice Thunder Bay LP

Quote:
Designed to achieve LEED® Silver certification, the facility will be a 6 storey building, with one level of parking below grade, 15 courtrooms and 4 conference/settlement rooms. The building will accommodate an estimated 250 personnel.

The design of the facility is sensitive to the cultural aspects of the region and houses the Province’s first Aboriginal Settlement Conference Suite, specifically designed to respond to the needs of the regional First Nation population.
There doesn't appear to be any aboriginal influence on the architecture though that might be expressed through the materials they use to build the facility (such as wood), and there will likely be something to represent it in the interior.

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/Default.aspx?cid=120682

http://www.infrastructureontario.ca/...ay/profile.asp

http://www.infrastructureontario.ca/...0-%20Final.pdf

It kind of resembles city hall, but mirrored. The part on the right is like Council Chambers/Mayors Office, with the large white block with two vertical columns of windows and a white blank space between them, while the office part is wider than it is tall, and has a black box that doesn't reach the front wall on top of it.

-----

The "May and Donald" building, beside the museum, and the old RBC at the corner of John and Memorial, are getting facelifts.

Lovebug on Memorial has been cleaned out

A city tender closes tomorrow for the demolition of the NESCO building by Miles and North Streets.

A request to remove the holding symbol from the property southwest of Carrick at Harbour is before council on the November 22 meeting. This is the property that was supposed to be developed as a Mariott Hotel.

Last edited by vid; Nov 22, 2010 at 1:10 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 11:44 PM
I am a typical

PHOTOS! YAY!

DSSAB on Monday morning:

Foundation work will begin soon.

Isabella Retirement Home on Monday Morning:

Not really development related but pretty cool -- installation of new roof junk at Intercity Zellers today:

Nothing going on at the courthouse site yet but there will be soon. The city will be closing the stub of Syndicate in a couple days, and the sidewalks on Brodie and Miles will be closed off as they start preparing for foundation work to begin.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 2:55 PM
I am a typical

Looks like the strip club beside A&W on Memorial/High is being demolished.

Two waterfront photos:

Concrete base for something beside the pond

Water garden pavilion on left, expanded arts centre on right.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Looks like the strip club beside A&W on Memorial/High is being demolished.
http://www.thunderbay.ca/Assets/City...+High+St+S.pdf

262 Pearl Street was being demolished when I went by yesterday, probably for more parking. The dental clinic on Victoria Ave seems to be coming along, as well as the chiropractic clinic at the corner of John and Algonquin.

Walmart and Superstore seem to be close to finishing renovations (they are both less ugly now).

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 7:30 PM
I am a typical

Superstore should be done by December 10th. They've just got some touch ups in the grocery section, mainly around the meat department.

Walmart won't be done until next June. After the addition is done, they're probably redoing the interior.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 9:44 PM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Say hello to our new Courthouse:

©Plenary Group / Plenary Justice Thunder Bay LP
Looks like the province is pumping out standardized designs for courthouses. Standard as they may be, I think they look pretty nice.

The renderings for Thunder Bay's courthouse just need an exaggerated number of pedestrians and voila!!

Source: http://news.therecord.com/article/733191

We can both revel in the fact that what we're getting is nicer than Durham Region's.

Source: http://opseu302.wordpress.com/2009/0...-open-in-2010/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario