HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 7:36 PM

Potential Olympic bid would include $272M field house with ice plant: documents
Annalise Klingbeil The Calgary Herald November 22, 2017

New figures accidentally released by city hall on Monday show a $272-million field house as part of plans for a potential 2026 Olympic Games, spurring advocates to wonder if the mega-sporting event is what’s needed to finally bring such a facility to Calgary.

A field house — an indoor facility with a running track and full-sized field for sports such as soccer, football, field hockey and lacrosse — has long been the city’s top unfunded recreation priority.

“The requirement for a multi-sport field house has been overwhelmingly demonstrated time and time again over multiple years,” said Sport Calgary CEO Murray Sigler. “It’s always at the top of the list, whatever list it is.”

During a lengthy conversation in council chambers, Monday about continuing to explore a bid for the 2026 Winter Games, six printed pages of PowerPoint slides detailing confidential financial figures were accidentally made available to members of the public.

The city eventually decided to release the slides, which peg the cost of sports venues and media facilities for a 2026 Olympic Games at $733 million, including a $272-million field house, $80 million in upgrades to the BMO Centre, $55 million for a “Hall F Expansion” at BMO Centre, $10 million in upgrades to the Saddledome and $50 million for McMahon Stadium.

No one from the city was made available Tuesday to comment on the figures.

Sigler said regardless of a potential Olympic bid, a field house should be a priority for the council, but he noted the cost-sharing nature of the Games between three levels of government could be the push that’s needed for the project to finally move forward.

“If the process can lead to getting senior orders of government participating in cost-sharing towards some of the much-needed sport infrastructure, that would be good,” he said. “It could help as a catalyst for moving (the field house) forward faster.”

The single line in the city information about the field house titles it a “field house (+ ice plant)” and previous work by the Calgary Bid Exploration Committee has said a Foothills field house would be used for curling and wheelchair events during a potential 2026 Olympics.

Jason Zaran, chair of the Calgary Multisport Fieldhouse Society, said while the group’s previous plans haven’t included an ice surface, such an addition would add value to the facility.

But he said regardless of whether council decides to pursue an Olympic bid, Calgary desperately needs the sporting facility.

“We’re pushing for it aggressively, Olympics or not,” he said.

“If they chose to build it so it’s got the flexibility to play a role in a future Olympics, then so be it. But the field house itself has to stand alone on its own right now.”

Ward 7 Coun. Druh Farrell, who has voted against dedicating money to explore an Olympic bid, said the massive sporting event shouldn’t be used to justify building critical infrastructure.

“We have an obligation to build a field house regardless of the Olympics,” she said.

Advocates have pushed for a field house for years and their hopes were buoyed in August 2015, when plans unveiled for the Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corp.’s mega CalgaryNEXT proposal, which is currently on pause, included a field house in the West Village.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If Calgary "needs" (air quotes) a hockey arena and football stadium so much, then why is the conversation stuck on this nearly $300 million fieldhouse? It's useless for the Flames and Stamps, and is really only incidentally useful for a potential winter Olympics.

This fieldhouse sounds like a solution in search of a problem. It's an exorbitant amount of money to pay for what will ultimately be a community sports facility.
Amen. And aside from football, it ain't gonna be much use for any potential higher echelon soccer team either unless they can configure the stands to get a lot closer to the action over that track. I think that's one thing the football and soccer folk can agree on. Plus it will be artificial turf so soccer people ain't gonna like it anyway. As you said, community sports facility, which is fine but 272 million, seriously? They can't figure out how to include the Stamps or decent soccer in that. As Ricky would say "get three birds stoned at once"

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 7:46 PM

Interesting perspective on arena location.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/break...m-for-nhl.html

Suburban arenas a problem for NHL

League's best attendance happens when the rink is downtown.

We really shouldn't be surprised by empty seats at Florida Panthers games any more. Nor, for that matter, at any NHL game in a suburban arena.

By Kevin McGran
Sports Reporter

Thu., Nov. 23, 2017

This wee, little Maple Leafs road trip to Florida and Carolina offer a window into two of the league’s weaker franchises in terms of attendance.

Both need to make the playoffs to get attention in their markets. Both play to lots of empty seats. Both have arenas that are in the middle of nowhere and hard to get to.

It’s hard to support a bad team that is hard to get to.

Florida is in a stronger position than Carolina in terms of ownership and its local future. No one is trying to poach the Panthers.

The Hurricanes, however, are looking for new owners. And there’s a belief out there that the team could be on the move to . . . well, pick your favourite possibility: Quebec? Houston? Seattle? Who knows.

They’re much like Arizona, with suburban rinks.

The league’s strongest markets have downtown arenas.

The Ottawa Senators — a Canadian problem-child in terms of attendance issues — also have a suburban rink, and are looking to move to a downtown location.

Downtowns are typically easy to get to. Many of the fans will just go from work to dinner to the game then home. Seems a simple idea.

Last week in Montreal, I asked NHL commissioner Gary Bettman about ensuring future teams are downtown rather than in the suburbs. He acknowledged he’s noticed the issue.

“It depends on the market. Some markets are suburban markets. Some areas don’t really have a downtown area,” said Bettman. “It appears the evolution of urban planning, of cities, of the Millennials, and Gen-Zs are living their lives, the focus tends to be downtown.”

New rinks used to be part of an entertainment district. Now cities plan far more, including retail and residential complexes.

“That seems to be, from an urban planning standpoint, the wave of the future and it seems to be a positive in terms of the way people are living.”

Bettman said studies he’s read indicate young people are not getting their drivers’ licences at the same rate as in the past, preferring to live close enough to work to walk, or take Uber or transit.

“The movement downtown, I think, is consistent with that trend,” said Bettman.

Now, it could be argued that “downtown” as Toronto and New York know it does not exist the same way in Raleigh and Fort Lauderdale.

But putting teams on the edge of the suburbs seems a bad idea and it seems like the league and cities have figured that out.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Bettman said studies he’s read indicate young people are not getting their drivers’ licences at the same rate as in the past, preferring to live close enough to work to walk, or take Uber or transit.
This is very true, I'm the world's oldest millennial or I was ahead of my time

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
That doesn't sound good. Just to throw out a few inaccurate numbers off the top of my head to put things in perspective, the Ottawa stadium was about 100-120 million, Cohon said the Moncton stadium would be about 100 million to get it up to snuff IIRC. THF cost 145 million.

By that time McMahon will need a new scoreboard, artificial turf, 50 million won't do much. I hate when people around here use the term lipstick on a pig but I think in this case with that amount of money that's what it will be.

Actually it's madness to spend that type of money on a field house and not include a proper football setup, maybe it's just blackmail by the city to put the Flames in their place.
I don't think it's blackmail or any kind of retaliation against the Flames. The Northwest Fieldhouse has been on the City's radar for a few years. There were even proposals for some similar kind of structure going back to the 1980s, about the same time as the Olympics were held. I have a drawing of it from the Calgary Herald, if I can find it I'll post it. Frank King, head of the Olympic organizing committee at the time mentioned that by building the Olympic Oval at UC, they had managed to get the Northwest Fieldhouse built.

But your point is well taken, $50m won't even begin to make a difference a McMahon. I'd say at least 3X that amount, and such would likely involve a BC Place-like overhaul, albeit with no roof. The idea of having a world-class fieldhouse complex next to a top-level (by Canadian standards) stadium is an attractive one. I have no idea how many (if any) dollars might be forthcoming from private sources or from the Stamps/Flames, but didn't the Riders pony up ~$70M for New Mosaic? Seems reasonable the Stamps/Flames could contribute at least a like amount.

In any event , I suspect the idea is moot, as the feds will likely support the World Cup bid instead.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 7:55 AM

I know the fieldhouse has been on the books for a long time, and even though a lot of people didn't like the original Stamps/fieldhouse renders, it still seems like the most practical solution to get a stadium and a fieldhouse. I mean the concept of combining them not the financing.

I have been asking this all along and now I guess I have my answer. I wanted to know if the opening/closing ceremonies were going to be in a 20k seat arena or a 35k seat stadium. I say throw that 50 million at the fieldhouse and have a 30k stadium/fieldhouse that can decently host pro football and pro soccer.

From what little reading I've done of the situation, I've come to the conclusion I don't like either side. When I compare how the mayor of Halifax is handling the CFL/stadium preliminary talks as opposed to the Calgary mayor and his situation, to me Calgary isn't looking too good.

So if I interpret this correctly, it's 135 million for a convention center reno, 272 mil for a community gym, only 10 million for the highest profile facility and 50 million thrown at a by then 60 plus year old building that should be replaced. We're not talking about an iconic building like the Rose Bowl or LA Memorial Colosseum, McMahon should be replaced.

Here's some costs to put things in perspective: New artificial turf field costs about $2 million and the field needs to be replaced every eight to 10 years at a cost of $750,000.

Edmonton paid 5-6 million each time it replaced its scoreboard and sound system, the most recent a few years ago.

Again using Edmonton as an example they paid 12 million for 56,000 seats.

Paving two parking lots is almost 1 million

Our 50 million budget is dwindling fast.

Quite frankly that proposal is a joke, that's another term I don't like to hear but I think I am proving my point.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 12:18 AM

Calgary was awarded an arena that was 100% financed by the taxpayers including those at the federal level.

There has never been any significant private investment in McMahon Stadium.

All this from a city and its citizens that like to brag about Calgary's can-do attitude and the ability of the private sector to fund projects like no other city in Western Canada.

Winnipeg, Edmonton and Regina football clubs have sunk significant amounts of their own assets into new/refurbished stadiums. Maybe the cheapskate Flames owners would be wise to match the proposed $50 million in public funds for a renovation to McMahon with a private injection of cash. Perhaps a ticket tax over 25 years? A $100 million renovation would be somewhat significant and would allow them to upgrade the entire stadium...maybe even tear down one stand and replace it while doing a lighter renovation on the other side similar to Ottawa.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 9:39 PM

CFL commish Ambrosie anxious to improve Calgary stadium situation
ERIC FRANCIS Calgary Herald November 24, 2017

OTTAWA — Randy Ambrosie admits he has an emotional attachment to McMahon Stadium.

But he insists it won’t get in the way of him trying to have it replaced.

“I played in that stadium and happen to love it because I can go in there and look at the locker I sat in for the 1993 Grey Cup with fond memories,” said the CFL commissioner, a first-round pick of the Calgary Stampeders in 1985 who won his only Grey Cup as a member of the Edmonton Eskimos in ’93.

“But I don’t think that’s a reason to keep the stadium.”

There are no good reasons left to keep the 57-year-old stadium other than the fact there’s little hope whatsoever a new home for the city’s CFL club will be built anytime soon.

Mayor Naheed Nenshi dismissed the possibility of a new football stadium/fieldhouse/arena known as CalgaryNEXT proposed by the team owner Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation several years ago.

Talks of an alternative arena next to the Saddledome, which wouldn’t have included a football stadium, have since broken off as part of a shockingly dysfunctional relationship between the City of Calgary and CSEC.

And so, at a time when the CFL is boasting $2 billion in investments in new and improved venues around the country, one of its flagship franchises will have to continue playing in the league’s most dilapidated stadium for the foreseeable future.

“I’m very worried,” Ambrosie said when asked how concerned he was with the situation.

Perhaps the most successful team in the last 20 years in the CFL has one of the poorest stadiums in the CFL. I think that’s a tragedy.

“And when you go across the country to see what has happened — the renovation at BC Place, the renovation at Brick Field at Commonwealth in Edmonton, (new stadiums in) Saskatchewan, Winnipeg and Hamilton and what they’ve done here in Ottawa. BMO Field (in Toronto) … I think it’s terrible.”

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman feels much the same way about the situation as it pertains to CSEC’s inability to replace the 34-year-old Saddledome, also the oldest venue in its league.

Seeing how dire a situation it is for the Flames and their future in Calgary, Bettman has tried hard to apply pressure to the mayor and city councilors to play ball on negotiations for crucial city infrastructure. Reminding people there would obviously be “consequences” if a new arena couldn’t be built, his thoughts leading up to the civic election weren’t well received by many in Calgary, including a mayor who has long suggested a New York City lawyer had no business weighing in on Calgary issues.

Given the city’s leadership and financial struggles of late, private/public partnerships to build new rinks and stadiums will be tough — if not impossible — to sell in this climate.

Although a CFL commissioner can carry about as much weight as Bettman can on a civic debate like this, Ambrosie said he’s willing to do his part to help remedy a sordid situation.

“I think we need to find a solution to that problem, and I’ll do anything I can to work with (CSEC CEO) Ken King and the Calgary organization to press for a solution because I think our fans need a state-of -the art place to come watch world class football,” said the 54-year-old former offensive lineman.

Fact is, without being able to piggyback on a larger arena project or land a stadium as part of a potential Olympic bid for 2026, the situation appears futile for the Stampeders.

For a team that plays eight home games annually, it’s hard to justify the expense of a new stadium without the aid of a financial partnership with the city that sees the value in spending money on a multi-sport facility that would include a much-needed fieldhouse.

Frustrated by stalled negotiations, King insisted in the fall CSEC is no longer interested in pursuing new venues, ensuring Ambrosie will, sadly, have many more years to visit his old McMahon locker stall.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 10:22 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Amen. And aside from football, it ain't gonna be much use for any potential higher echelon soccer team either unless they can configure the stands to get a lot closer to the action over that track. I think that's one thing the football and soccer folk can agree on. Plus it will be artificial turf so soccer people ain't gonna like it anyway. As you said, community sports facility, which is fine but 272 million, seriously? They can't figure out how to include the Stamps or decent soccer in that. As Ricky would say "get three birds stoned at once"
Well we are in the process of building a $250 million library so is $272 million for a community sports facility really out of line?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 10:33 PM

Calgary Stamps ain't going to get any traction until the owners get over themselves and pony up to build a new arena for the Flames.

I don't belive the City will ever give out pure explicit welfare for a pro sports facility, but you may see a deal where the City offers land, tax breaks, etc. If in fact ownership puts some skin in the game for the Flames.

Something will have to be done with McMoldy before it collapses on itself as its nearing dump territory. Ownership won't get any traction until they solve their Flames situation though in my opinion.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
but you may see a deal where the City offers land.
I recall reading an article a year or so back where the city councilors didn't have a problem with that but it seems the relationship between the two parties is damn near moribund now, a real shame.

Part of the shame is that Halifax (city and ownership group) may not have the resources to get a deal done, are doing what they can to give it a shot. Looks like the groups in Calgary aren't.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Well we are in the process of building a $250 million library so is $272 million for a community sports facility really out of line?
Went to the website of the fieldhouse and they mention every sport under the sun except for football so is it safe to assume even community football is verboten?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
CFL commish Ambrosie anxious to improve Calgary stadium situation
ERIC FRANCIS Calgary Herald November 24, 2017

OTTAWA — Randy Ambrosie admits he has an emotional attachment to McMahon Stadium.

But he insists it won’t get in the way of him trying to have it replaced.

“I played in that stadium and happen to love it because I can go in there and look at the locker I sat in for the 1993 Grey Cup with fond memories,” said the CFL commissioner, a first-round pick of the Calgary Stampeders in 1985 who won his only Grey Cup as a member of the Edmonton Eskimos in ’93.

“But I don’t think that’s a reason to keep the stadium.”

There are no good reasons left to keep the 57-year-old stadium other than the fact there’s little hope whatsoever a new home for the city’s CFL club will be built anytime soon.

Mayor Naheed Nenshi dismissed the possibility of a new football stadium/fieldhouse/arena known as CalgaryNEXT proposed by the team owner Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation several years ago.

Talks of an alternative arena next to the Saddledome, which wouldn’t have included a football stadium, have since broken off as part of a shockingly dysfunctional relationship between the City of Calgary and CSEC.

And so, at a time when the CFL is boasting $2 billion in investments in new and improved venues around the country, one of its flagship franchises will have to continue playing in the league’s most dilapidated stadium for the foreseeable future.

“I’m very worried,” Ambrosie said when asked how concerned he was with the situation.

Perhaps the most successful team in the last 20 years in the CFL has one of the poorest stadiums in the CFL. I think that’s a tragedy.

“And when you go across the country to see what has happened — the renovation at BC Place, the renovation at Brick Field at Commonwealth in Edmonton, (new stadiums in) Saskatchewan, Winnipeg and Hamilton and what they’ve done here in Ottawa. BMO Field (in Toronto) … I think it’s terrible.”

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman feels much the same way about the situation as it pertains to CSEC’s inability to replace the 34-year-old Saddledome, also the oldest venue in its league.

Seeing how dire a situation it is for the Flames and their future in Calgary, Bettman has tried hard to apply pressure to the mayor and city councilors to play ball on negotiations for crucial city infrastructure. Reminding people there would obviously be “consequences” if a new arena couldn’t be built, his thoughts leading up to the civic election weren’t well received by many in Calgary, including a mayor who has long suggested a New York City lawyer had no business weighing in on Calgary issues.

Given the city’s leadership and financial struggles of late, private/public partnerships to build new rinks and stadiums will be tough — if not impossible — to sell in this climate.

Although a CFL commissioner can carry about as much weight as Bettman can on a civic debate like this, Ambrosie said he’s willing to do his part to help remedy a sordid situation.

“I think we need to find a solution to that problem, and I’ll do anything I can to work with (CSEC CEO) Ken King and the Calgary organization to press for a solution because I think our fans need a state-of -the art place to come watch world class football,” said the 54-year-old former offensive lineman.

Fact is, without being able to piggyback on a larger arena project or land a stadium as part of a potential Olympic bid for 2026, the situation appears futile for the Stampeders.

For a team that plays eight home games annually, it’s hard to justify the expense of a new stadium without the aid of a financial partnership with the city that sees the value in spending money on a multi-sport facility that would include a much-needed fieldhouse.

Frustrated by stalled negotiations, King insisted in the fall CSEC is no longer interested in pursuing new venues, ensuring Ambrosie will, sadly, have many more years to visit his old McMahon locker stall.
While the point of still stands that the Stamps play few home games to make it tough justifying a new stadium or expensive refurbishment of Mcmahon, you would think Francis would know that the Stamps play 9 regular season home games. He is probably an NFL fan who barely follows the CFL.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Calgary Stamps ain't going to get any traction until the owners get over themselves and pony up to build a new arena for the Flames.

I don't belive the City will ever give out pure explicit welfare for a pro sports facility, but you may see a deal where the City offers land, tax breaks, etc. If in fact ownership puts some skin in the game for the Flames.

Something will have to be done with McMoldy before it collapses on itself as its nearing dump territory. Ownership won't get any traction until they solve their Flames situation though in my opinion.
The city already had offered to pay 1/3 the cost ($180 million) with another third coming from a ticket tax and another third from the owners. Seemed pretty reasonable but King flatly rejected that offer.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 5:22 PM

This thing is further along than people think

'Defining moment': CFL commissioner sparks expansion hope in Halifax
Randy Ambrosie says it’s the unfilled part of national dream
Devin Heroux, CBC Sports Nov 25, 2017

OTTAWA — If the commissioner of the Canadian Football League has it his way, there will be 10 teams in the league under his watch.

"It's the unfilled part of our national dream to have the Maritimes have a football team," Randy Ambrosie told CBC Sports. "In everyone's life and career there are defining moments. This would be a defining moment to see the launch of a franchise in the Maritimes. Wouldn't that be special?" he said.

Less than two weeks ago it was confirmed a business group had made a presentation to Halifax City Council about bringing a football team to the city. Ambrosie was at that meeting.

On Saturday night in Ottawa, Ambrosie joined members of that business group and made an appearance at the Atlantic Schooners Down East Kitchen Party, another sign they are serious about making this happen.

"I just wanted them to know that on behalf of the league and our governors, nothing would make us happier than getting this last piece of the puzzle of a truly national league to come together."

Anthony Leblanc was also at the Schooners party. He's the former president and CEO of the Arizona Coyotes. But after stepping away from hockey, he turned his attention to what he calls his true love — football.

"It just feels like the stars are aligning," LeBlanc said. "We have an amazing commissioner who wants this to happen. We're working closely with him to make sure our approach is bulletproof."

Stadium the sticking point

Both Ambrosie and LeBlanc are cautiously optimistic and quickly point to the key piece of the expansion being building a stadium.

LeBlanc shared exclusive details about the work the group has been doing behind the scenes for months now, specifically on the stadium issue.

He said the group has five potential stadium sites in Halifax and they're compiling economic impact studies to determine what the best place would be to build it. LeBlanc said he's hired an architect in Los Angeles to produce a stadium rendering that was presented to Halifax council.

"They went to the Atlantic Schooners wikipedia page and saw the old colour scheme and took it and made this rendering look like it. The councilors just loved it," he said.

When it comes to the finances, LeBlanc says the group has been spending serious money to be as thorough as possible because he knows, that at least for right now, this initiative has to be led by the private sector.

"We're spending real money on an economic impact analysis," he said. "We'll spend the next six to eight months doing what we need to do to make the league and the governors feel we're being thoughtful."

Best case scenario?

LeBlanc says if everything goes perfectly, they'll get a conditional expansion from the league within the next few months, then continue the dialogue at the municipal and provincial level.

Then he hopes to have shovels in the ground for a new stadium in a year with kickoff in Halifax happening in 2020.

"I'm still mystified that this hasn't happened yet. It feels like things are aligning. But we have to follow the process," LeBlanc said.

The group has also been doing surveys to see how a CFL team in Atlantic Canada would be received

"One of the first things we did was very advanced polling in the Maritimes. The region will support us," he said.

LeBlanc also said in all the research they've seen, the sponsorship levels are comparative to Winnipeg, Regina and Hamilton.

Schooners?

This isn't the first time there has been an attempt to set up a CFL team in Nova Scotia.

The league granted the region a franchise in 1982 on the condition that it build a stadium suitable for professional football. Things were looking good back then. By 1983, the Atlantic Schooners had a name, a logo, a colour scheme and a growing fanbase.

By 1984, however, they had to withdraw their team's application after they couldn't find enough funding for a stadium.

And now on this go-around, it appears the Schooners name is still as popular as ever.

"The original thought process is we'll do what the Schooners did back in the early '80s and that was go to the people in the Atlantic provinces and find out what people want to call it," LeBlanc said. "If the early feedback is any indication it's going to be tough to see it being anything other than Schooners."

LeBlanc says they already have their legal team looking into trademarks.

'Heard what I wanted to hear'

If there's one CFL fan who wants a Halifax team more than anyone, it's John Ryerson. He's been the person organizing the Schooners parties over the years. He says he was born in Atlantic Canada but his wife and kids are from Saskatchewan.

"I lived in Regina. Maritime roots. But the kids and wife are from Saskatchewan and for 16 years I was cheering on the Riders. Then I moved back to Halifax and there was no football."

That's when Ryerson kicked into action. He said he learned about the defunct Schooners and wanted to do everything he could to try and revive the team.

"They had it so far. Team logos, colours, they even bought the used scoreboard from the New England Patriots. It's still, to this day, in a warehouse in Dartmouth," Ryerson said.

Ryerson spoke to the commissioner about how badly he wants a team in Halifax and says he feels closer now than at any other time.

"I've been through five commissioners during this project and no commissioner I've ever met was more genuine than Randy Ambrosie. What you see is what you get. When he speaks, he speaks the truth. He said they were committed to working on this project and that's more than any other commissioner has ever said."

Ryerson says he'll be the first one to buy Halifax Schooners season tickets should this all become a reality.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 6:36 PM
I am the law!

Sounds like the same old, "built us a stadium" story to me.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 6:38 PM

^Where does it say that?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 6:17 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:

Maybe the Stamps will get relocated if the City doesn't build them a stadium.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 2:49 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
^Where does it say that?
LOL. Nothing quoted explicitly say it because that wouldn't make much sense. The cues that they are seeking a substantial payout from the city are all over the interviews. It's the same situation as has been for the last 30 years. No team because there's no stadium deal with the public.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 2:58 PM

There is no way the Halifax stadium would get built without a substantial public contribution. But what about something along the lines of 1/3 government funding, 1/3 team contribution, 1/3 ticket levy?

For a somewhat modest stadium (basically the first phase of something that could eventually be expanded), we wouldn't be talking an exorbitant amount of money. Based on other recent stadium projects, $200 million would probably be more than enough to get the job done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada