HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 8:43 PM
Our Tide is Rising

just as a side note I added the logo to the Moncton wiki page...I even gave it a drop shadow and a transparent backround! (same as I did for the map and coat of arms). check it out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moncton

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post
just as a side note I added the logo to the Moncton wiki page...I even gave it a drop shadow and a transparent backround! (same as I did for the map and coat of arms). check it out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moncton
Good job !

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 8:45 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMtl666 View Post

With a such sign, its not a plce that I would like to grow

http://www.dieppe.ca/dieppeMag_fr.cfm

Dieppe has a decent sign.
Yeah I do like Dieppes logo, its very modern and yet still incorporates the historical essence of the city with the Acadian colours/star etc. very good.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 8:52 PM

I still wonder what's going to fill up the former Future Shop space in Champlain place ?

I am still guessing for Best Buy.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 8:58 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMtl666 View Post
I still wonder what's going to fill up the former Future Shop space in Champlain place ?

I am still guessing for Best Buy.
yeah, Im hoping for something like that.

When I look at the logo now I see the swooshes look a lot like the bend in the river...for example look at the aerial pic of Moncton on the wiki page (2nd pic down).

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 9:07 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Good job with the wiki page!

Anyone know when the new ring-road in Riverview is supposed to open?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 9:09 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Good job with the wiki page!

Anyone know when the new ring-road in Riverview is supposed to open?
Thanks bud!

the road will open pretty soon...I think mid december is last I heard...cant wait!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 10:02 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post
I wont post the whole story but the T&T said today that all 7,000 tickets for Ozzy (sides a couple of VIP tickets) sold out within 3 hours! Thats pretty nuts. I hope someone gets the message and brings a big rock concert to moncton again...getting a bit tired of country haha.
Ya, I got tickets to the Halifax show. It's gonna be awesome . Lucky I got up an hour early to get in line though, it sold in under 20 minutes. Anyone here going to one of the shows?

And yes, i agree, there's been way too much country in the maritimes lately. Like George Jones is coming .

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 10:23 PM

:: Moncton`s booming economy ::

Did you receive that magazine at home ? It's quite interesting.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 10:40 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Ya, I got tickets to the Halifax show. It's gonna be awesome . Lucky I got up an hour early to get in line though, it sold in under 20 minutes. Anyone here going to one of the shows?

And yes, i agree, there's been way too much country in the maritimes lately. Like George Jones is coming .
George Jones is still around? He's as old as the hills.

What's in the new magazine?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
George Jones is still around? He's as old as the hills.

What's in the new magazine?
Its really well done though there is nothing really new. It talks about Moncton`s prosperity, couple articles about downtown (Mayor, DMCI), financial well being, construction rate, Caledonia park, Aberdeen cutural center, Capitol, Frye, FrancoFête, couple about sport as well as Assomption, Mcinnes Cooper law office, 2006 CMA, tourism, Airport, UdMoncton ect.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 11:21 PM
Our Tide is Rising

That mag looks sweet (the cover at least). Its probably close to the same thing that was in the T&T during the summer...it was called "prosperity" or something.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 11:26 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Anyone know of an online / pdf version?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Anyone know of an online / pdf version?
I really don`t know I scanned the cover. However, it was lauched by Acadie Nouvelle, maybe we could find out something on Acadienouvelle.com.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 5:11 AM

Moncton Downtown :: Avant la tempête / Before the storm

By Brain Branch :: http://monctonpixels.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 11:21 AM

Moncton city council tackles 2008 municipal budget
Rising assessments mean tax bills will likely go up again next year

By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff
Published Tuesday December 4th, 2007
Appeared on page A7

Council and the public at large got their first look at the proposed 2008 operating, utility and capital works budgets for the city of Moncton at last night's regular council meeting.

The budgets as presented would mean the average Moncton homeowner with an average $130,000 home will pay $115 more in property tax and $40 more for water and sewerage in 2008.

The budgets will now be debated publicly on December 12 and 13, at different times than previously publicized.

The budget process will begin at 9 a.m. at Moncton City Hall on Wednesday December 12 as previously announced, but the second day's deliberations on Thursday, December 13 will run from 3 p.m, to 9 p.m. in an effort to allow members of the public a better chance to attend.

Council tried to change both sessions to evening meetings at the suggestion of Ward 3 councillors Brian Hicks and Steve Mitton, but conflicts with other important city business meant council had to compromise.

City of Moncton chief financial officer John Martin, presenting his first budgets to council, warned council that the city is "facing a major potential crisis if we do not invest in more capital maintenance and develop our reserves to permit us to deal with immediate requirements." His budget proposes creation of a capital maintenance reserve.

Martin also reminded council of the looming cost of seeing so many of the baby boomers employed by the city retiring, pointing out there is just $850,000 in retirement liability funding when that will need to grow by 10 times that amount in the next handful of years.

Some sense of the decisions council will have to make in the next week came out of the presentation. To merely provide the same level of service as last year, would cost 4.8 per cent more because of inflation and other factors (including, ironically enough, the $87,757 more the city will have to pay in tax on its own properties, thanks to rising assessments in Moncton).

To try to roll back the tax rate to offset increasing assessments, would cost roughly half a million dollars for every cent shaved off the rate. While a number of citizens have suggested such a measure, only two members of the public braved last night's weather to see budget discussions firsthand.

To drop the tax rate enough to nullify this year's assessment increases would require trimming $4 million from the budget.

On the other hand, the average household will see a $9.50 per month increase with the budget as it stands," councillor-at-large Pierre Boudreau said.

Boudreau, the deputy chairman of the city's finance committee argued that was a reasonable increase to keep the city on the move. He pointed with pride to the fact that since 1980, Moncton has seen the smallest tax increases among the municipalities of Dieppe, Riverview, Fredericton and Saint John. However, Moncton's tax rate is second only to Saint John's.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Dieppe city council grapples with budget demands
Council vows to do everything it can to hold the line on taxes

By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff
Published Tuesday December 4th, 2007
Appeared on page A6

There's no talk of a property tax increase in Dieppe.

In fact, during the first meeting last night of council's debate of its 2008 operating and capital budgets, the only talk was of holding the line on taxes -- or reducing them.

Nobody disagreed with the notion of holding taxes at the present level, but not everyone was in favour of a tax decrease of one cent per $100 of assessment, as proposed by Ward 3 Councillor Paul Belliveau.

Belliveau calculated that a one-cent decrease would shave $171,000 off the city's revenues and offer taxpayers a little relief.

Coun.-at-Large Charles Cormier, however, suggested holding the line on taxes rather than decreasing them, so that Dieppe can invest in measures to spur the city's ongoing growth -- the fastest of any N.B. city -- and pay down the city's debt.

Fellow Coun.-at-Large Jean Gaudet noted that a decrease in the tax rate would badly affect city finances for years to come. He recalled how the city decreased taxes when Champlain Place was built, thanks to the big mall's injection of taxes into city coffers. To this day, some projects that were on the city's wish list back then have yet to be completed due to lack of money.

No one spoke in favour of increasing taxes, which brings its own challenges. With every city department clamouring for more money, some tough choices will have to be made.

As Mayor Achille Maillet put it several times last night, "we have our needs, and we have our wants."

Another budget meeting is slated for tonight at 5 p.m. though today's snowstorm could postpone it. Council will meet again tomorrow at 5 p.m., if necessary, in order to finalize the budget.

Tonight's session will see a line-by-line examination of each department's proposed expenditures during and after which councillors will begin the task of paring items from the lists that council deems the city can't afford right now.

Two major capital projects are also up for discussion: a new main waterline into Dieppe from the area of Harrisville Boulevard in Moncton and the renewal of Paul Street. The meetings are open to the public.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 1:24 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

I don't envy the job of putting together a budget like that. Everybody wants a slice of it, but nobody wants to see their share of the cost go up. I hope holding the line on taxes will take some of the heat off Dieppe city council. A lot of it is justified, but I think people are a bit too quick to jump to conclusions about stuff like that.

Anyway, I also see Stephen Harper has come down from his ivory tower to tell us we're allowed to take out the causeway... but with no money from them. Meanwhile, they're giving tons of cash to other environmental projects across the country. I'm really getting tired of this guy. He has blatantly ignored the east coast since the day he was elected. If we ever expect this region to prosper, we need people in power who actually care about all regions of the country. I'm not saying we need special treatment, but if we keep getting the short end of the stick, we'll never end up anything more than a collection of depopulated welfare-provinces who's only edge is our ability to take on all the nation's old people.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 9:48 AM
Our Tide is Rising

From T&T Tuesday Dec 4

"So far, 2008 is looking like a solid year for music at the Moncton Coliseum.

Metal king Ozzy Osbourne kicks off the year on Jan. 24. Tickets to the show went on sale this past Saturday and sold out in mere hours.

On the opposite end of the musical scale, pop crooner Michael Bublé will perform at the Coliseum on Feb. 2. That show is also sold out.

Blue Rodeo, joined by another Canadian band, Cuff The Duke, will play the venue on Feb. 21.

Tickets to that show are still available. Anne Murray with Michael Kaeshammer will perform on Tuesday, April 15, and George Jones will perform on Wednesday, April 16."

Pretty well rounded lineup Id say, something for every music taste

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 5:20 PM

Metro gains from Canucks on the move
Interprovincial migration figures show Metro Moncton gained 3,095 people

TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF
Published Wednesday December 5th, 2007
Appeared on page A1

Call it "Going up the Road."

At least that appears to be the latest Moncton story from Statistics Canada, which released population data from the 2006 census yesterday that tells us that if life in New Brunswick still holds true to the old movie called "Going Down the Road" about Maritimers heading west, the opposite might be happening in Metro Moncton.

Net "interprovincial migration" data released by StatsCan yesterday highlighted Census Metropolitan Areas or CMAs, cities with a population exceeding 125,000, of which there are two in New Brunswick -- Metro Moncton and Greater Saint John.

Between those two during the last census period, between 2001 and 2006, Moncton had a net interprovincial migration gain of 3,095 people and Saint John headed almost exactly as far in the opposition direction, a net loss of 3,315.

Bear in mind that those numbers don't tell the whole story either, says Halifax-based StatsCan analyst Marc Melanson, who says "intraprovincial" numbers won't be available for a few more days.

"Interprovincial mobility" is about movement from one province or territory to another as opposed to "intraprovincial mobility" or movement from one part of a province to another part of the same province.

Most economic analysts in New Brunswick believe much of Metro Moncton's recent population burst is coming from other parts of the province, but we don't have the whole story on that yet.

What we do have is quite surprising in some cases.

Among Canada's 33 CMAs, Moncton lost population over the five-year period to only 13 of them and by small margins in most cases. The largest net losses are to Halifax (295 people), Edmonton (235) and Calgary (105).

But Moncton has the advantage over some surprising CMAs, including Toronto. At the end of the five-year period 445 Monctonians had moved to Toronto but 675 Torontonians had moved to Moncton, leaving a net gain of 230 for Moncton over Toronto.

Why Toronto suddenly finds Moncton so attractive can only be guessed at, says Melanson, although he reminds that StatsCan will be releasing its next wave of data in the spring that will tell us more about those 'interprovincial' migrants, such as their incomes, the type of work they do and province of origin; it could be there are a lot of homesick New Brunswickers who are lately getting calls from the old folks about more jobs being available in New Brunswick, the forestry industry notwithstanding.

The data also suggests that while Saint John is anticipating an economic boom with various big energy projects on the horizon, currently there are more jobs in Moncton because over the last five years among the 33 CMAs, Saint John is the biggest loser of them all in its relationship to Moncton, having seen 1,020 of its citizens moving to Moncton compared to 465 Monctonians going the other way, a net gain of 555 for Moncton at the direct expense of Saint John.

However not all is lost for the port city.

Yesterday's data also included immigration statistics, which tell a slightly better story for Saint John than Moncton.

During the census period Moncton registered 4,245 immigrants -- people who moved to Moncton from outside Canada -- representing 3.4 per cent of the total population of the Metro Moncton CMA. That's good in a small way in that it is an improvement over the last census, when immigrants represented a minuscule 2.9 per cent of the population.

However, the current 3.4 per cent is not as good as Saint John, which has 5,035 immigrants or 4.2 per cent of the total population.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

New Census data out today

On language, mobility and immigration. I don't have time to analyze this for you but here are a few quick stats to chew on:

73% of the people (7,115 in total) moving into Greater Moncton from outside the province over the last five years are Anglophones, 3% are not Francophone or Anglophone and 24% are Francophone.

There are 1,390 'external migrants' to the Moncton CMA over the past five years - that's up from previous Census' but still means less than 300 immigrants per year on a population of 126,000. That's a serious problem.

The majority of folks moving to Greater Moncton from inside New Brunswick are Anglophone (52% of the 14,600 people moving in).

The overall number of people that live in Greater Moncton that didn't live here five years ago? 23,105 people or about 1 in 5 of the people over the age 5.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 7:32 PM

Moncton Downtown :: Avant la tempête / Before the storm

Moncton Downtown :: Après la tempête / After the storm

By Brain Branch :: http://monctonpixels.blogspot.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces