HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 2:39 PM

@ShopEastside tweeted a picture of the East Liberty Transit Center yesterday:

pic.twitter.com/8lATDI58KI

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucka View Post
@ShopEastside tweeted a picture of the East Liberty Transit Center yesterday
Excellent. It gets a little grainy toward the far end, but seen from that angle the site goes well past front corner of the Target, about level with the middle of the Target, where it only has the width of Penn between them.

Incidentally, the visual impact on the Centre Ave side is going to be way less, for a variety of reasons. The area is trapezoidal to begin with, and then they are leaving the old buildings starting at Highland and over. Then there is a new street, and finally one of the new buildings, but then at the corner there is a plaza. And of course Centre is higher than the Busway, so from that direction the parking structure mostly counts as underground.

On the side I was perviously discussing, in addition to the overall greater length, lower starting elevation, and entirely additional building (behind the old buildings), the new street and plaza and the other side narrow down and are then covered with multi-level bridges, preserving much more continuity. There is an open courtyard on the Penn Avenue building, but it is mostly pretty shallow, with the one deeper corner shadowed by the returning portion of the building.

A lot of that is just a function of the nature of the site, but with some of these choices it is almost like they deliberately softened the visual wall effect on the East Liberty side, while more or less going with it on the Shadyside side.

Last edited by BrianTH; Aug 14, 2014 at 7:05 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 6:19 PM

Some serious steel going up at the Gardens site.

http://oxblue.com/open/TheGardens

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 6:36 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
Some serious steel going up at the Gardens site.

http://oxblue.com/open/TheGardens
Impressive... it's going to be awesome witnessing The Gardens, PNC and 350 Smithfield u/c all at the same time (ok... wishful thinking on 350)

btw... took an extremely random walk down First Ave during lunch... and saw a billboard next to a parking lot marketing Burns & Scalo's proposed riverfront high-rise... the billboard rendering looked much different than anything that was proposed in their contest.

Wonder where this project is at... they seem less bullish than Oxford.

http://burns-scalo.com/realestate/pr...-pittsburgh-pa

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
the billboard rendering looked much different than anything that was proposed in their contest.
If it is the same billboard that has been there from the beginning, it predates the contest.

I keep hearing they won't start without an anchor tenant and they haven't found one.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 8:44 PM
Ex Houstonian

Wow I was just down there at the gardens site two days ago and they only had like two columns up. That's some seriously fast work. How tall is the gardens going to be? The renders make it look like it will be about as tall as those old skyscrapers next to it.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 9:05 PM

And in fact it is just a start on site prep (in fact, just remediation mostly) at the airport:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/20...s/201408140292

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 9:15 PM
Eurosceptic

I love the ELTC too... I'm in awe every time I go by it.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 9:29 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Impressive... it's going to be awesome witnessing The Gardens, PNC and 350 Smithfield u/c all at the same time (ok... wishful thinking on 350)

btw... took an extremely random walk down First Ave during lunch... and saw a billboard next to a parking lot marketing Burns & Scalo's proposed riverfront high-rise... the billboard rendering looked much different than anything that was proposed in their contest.

Photo?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The "World Trade Center" plan for the airport is getting a state grant................

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...-thursday.html
I really, really doubt any major hotel, or financing source would risk supporting the new construction of a single 400 room hotel at the airport, or anywhere else in the city. That portion of the proposal IMO, makes the remainder appear somewhat of a pipe dream. I'd like to see the assumption of how much dependence this proposal has on a (significant) increase in domestic and international flights at PIT.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
took an extremely random walk down First Ave during lunch... and saw a billboard next to a parking lot marketing Burns & Scalo's proposed riverfront high-rise... the billboard rendering looked much different than anything that was proposed in their contest.

Ah, yes, I remember this project and have actually been wondering about the status of it.

It's been awhile, but I remember a discussion on here about the three possible designs for this site along Fort Pitt Blvd. The three renderings can be viewed on the right side of the page when you click that link.

My personal favorite is the first one, with the blue lower half, followed by the strange, twisty second design.

I think the third one with the green space on the roof looks like it's about to fall into the river...but that may just be an issue with the rendering.

Here's an article from 2012, when the final three designs were chosen.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg....html?page=all

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
The renders make it look like it will be about as tall as those old skyscrapers next to it.
That's right--it is scaled to fit right next to them. I think it is 242 feet, or something like that.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
How tall is the gardens going to be? The renders make it look like it will be about as tall as those old skyscrapers next to it.
18 floors I think?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
I really, really doubt any major hotel, or financing source would risk supporting the new construction of a single 400 room hotel at the airport, or anywhere else in the city. That portion of the proposal IMO, makes the remainder appear somewhat of a pipe dream. I'd like to see the assumption of how much dependence this proposal has on a (significant) increase in domestic and international flights at PIT.
I agree that seems far-fetched, and it is also one of my least favorite parts of the concept. I can understand stuff like the hangers with taxiway access or firms making use of the free trade zone, but if you want to hold a convention in Pittsburgh, just come to the frickin' City! It is not that far, there are a variety of options, and your visitors will thank you for the far more pleasant experience.

The "world trade center" idea has been around for a while, but I believe this particular vision for it came out of the "aerotropolis" conference a few years back:

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg....html?page=all

Quote:
The proposals presented Tuesday were:
Development within the airport of a world trade center in the west section of the airport and high-tech facilities in the southern part of the airport grounds that could incorporate manufacturing, fabrication, repairs, logistics and warehousing, as well as a conference center and a hospital where medical teams and patients fly in to Pittsburgh and have advanced surgery conducted on the airport grounds. The vision includes a pedestrian-friendly destination with hotels, stores, restaurants and greenspace so that visitors could comfortably stay for a day or two without missing a beat.
It is all just so dumb. Airport-related development is fine when it is really airport related. But a lot of this other stuff is just typical greenfield development crap, repackaged as an "aerotropolis" to help make some consultants a few extra bucks.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 12:52 PM

Looks like they are serious this time:

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201408150056

Quote:
Oxford hopes to start construction of the $192 million glass and aluminum tower in the second quarter of 2015 with completion expected in 2018. It would be built on Oxford-owned property on Smithfield Street between Fifth and Forbes avenues, with an existing building there to be demolished.
If only they were doing this in a surface parking lot or otherwise not demolishing an historic building--I could get behind the project without reservation.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Gensler, the same company that designed PNC’s new 33-story headquarters being built on Wood Street and its Three PNC Plaza office, residential and hotel tower on Fifth, is the architect for the Oxford project.
Yep. Used designs.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 4:18 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Yep. Used designs.
Oxford actually fished the blueprint out of a dumpster from behind PNC 3.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 4:20 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Looks like they are serious this time:

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201408150056

If only they were doing this in a surface parking lot or otherwise not demolishing an historic building--I could get behind the project without reservation.
I'm not surprised. They seemed really intent on building UP at this site. They couldn't seem to find an anchor tenant so they downsized to minimize risk and started announcing dates.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 4:50 PM

To be fair, I actually like the design of this one better than 3PNC. It's more refined. 3 PNC has some very awkward moments going on in places. But still, we don't need to keep repeating the same basic ideas. all of the new towers save for PNC Plaza are the same general idea.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 4:56 PM

I'm sorry, but this is really disappointing news. I can see tearing down an old building in prime land for a "world class tower" or at least you know, a tower that maximizes the land use, but for a 20 story tower?

A 20 story tower does make sense for various locations downtown and other parts of the city, but wow, what a let down.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations