HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsters View Post
New Oxford tower website. New plan.
So are they actually building it, or is this still just a marketing pitch and the plan is contingent on getting a tenant?

Anyway, I like the look a lot better, but going from 33 stories to 20 is disappointing, and I agree not very tempting versus renovating the historic building.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
So are they actually building it, or is this still just a marketing pitch and the plan is contingent on getting a tenant?

Anyway, I like the look a lot better, but going from 33 stories to 20 is disappointing, and I agree not very tempting versus renovating the historic building.
Thats disappointing. I would prefer the historic preservation. Reminds me of the 25 story historic building that was demolished for the 30 story 1 PNC.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 11:19 AM

Tom Ayoob in the Strip.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 12:21 PM

PG article on the new Oxford 350 Fifth website, but it looks like they don't know any more than we do what that means, and Oxford is not yet talking:

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201408080078

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 12:41 PM
BANNED

Weak effort.

Don't bother Oxford. The originally proposed tower design sucked and now this one is a non-offensive, but certainly uninspiring, short glassy box.

If these are their two best cracks at it, then it tells me their capabilities as a developer are certainly not what they used to be. Their best effort remains the renovation.

And are they kidding with that video?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsters View Post
New Oxford tower website. New plan.

http://www.3505thpittsburgh.com/

I don't like losing that building and solid intersection for 20 stories.
"Urban Genius"

That is the funniest marketing tag line I have ever heard.

*EDIT*
but in all fairness it is a perfectly fine background building. The 92% floor usage and completely column free floor plates is impressive. The building doesnt stand out, but thats kind of the point, it is supposed to fill in, not rise above. Anyone else notice how similar to Three PNC Plaza the porportions are? i meen it has a mid building balcony just like 3 PNC.

Last edited by Found5dollar; Aug 8, 2014 at 1:48 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 1:55 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I think it looks very chic. Obviously it's short. I guess that just speaks to the office space demand. but I think it would be a nice addition.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 2:09 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
I think it looks very chic. Obviously it's short. I guess that just speaks to the office space demand. but I think it would be a nice addition.
I think the demand for Class A office space Downtown exists... but the appetite for the premium that brand new space would command does not exist... which leads to a conundrum Downtown where the market gets tighter and tighter... but little gets built.

The Post-2008 economy has resulted in an environment where financing is much harder to secure for spec development... and without a single giant tenant like say... Chevron... it's challenging to cobble together enough smaller tenants willing to pay premium rents to meet the occupancy threshold necessary to get the project off the ground.

Additionally, the 2008 crash has transformed corporate culture to be much more conservative and hyper-efficient... which also works against the potential for new office towers.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 2:10 PM

for those too lazy to click through here are the 350 Fith renders

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 3:08 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I think the demand for Class A office space Downtown exists... but the appetite for the premium that brand new space would command does not exist... which leads to a conundrum Downtown where the market gets tighter and tighter... but little gets built.

The Post-2008 economy has resulted in an environment where financing is much harder to secure for spec development... and without a single giant tenant like say... Chevron... it's challenging to cobble together enough smaller tenants willing to pay premium rents to meet the occupancy threshold necessary to get the project off the ground.

Additionally, the 2008 crash has transformed corporate culture to be much more conservative and hyper-efficient... which also works against the potential for new office towers.
The PDP downtown report stated that new construction class A space require a charge of around $35 per sq ft and current rents for class A are at $28.16. So Pittsburgh's rents are not high enough to warrant a construction boom. They would need to rise another 19.6% for a "real" highrise boom to happen. Places where the rents ARE driving construction booms include Austin, TX, and Seattle, WA.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 3:23 PM
Ex Houstonian

Oxford is going to tear down a perfectly fine historic building for that piece of glass shit? Looks like it belongs in Houstons Energy Corridor way out in the suburbs. Shameful.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 3:37 PM

Maybe I'm confused, but isn't this the building they'd tear down for the new Oxford Building?

Street View...

What's the history behind it? It looks like any other boring, plain, 6 story building to me.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 3:37 PM

This is sort of off the current topic, but the mentioning of the expansion of Heinz Lofts (and how I've been dropping my daughter off at the Sarah Heinz House every day) made me think about the former location of the neighborhood of Schweitzer Lock. What's going on here that such prime land - positioned in-between the North Shore and Heinz Lofts - remains a dump?

The portion between Morgan at North Shore and 579 isn't horrible. Too many parking lots/office buildings, and no residential component however. There's that nice abandoned Victorian apartment/storefront rotting away, with an rowhouse next door, and a huge overgrown URA parcel. I'm shocked no one has wanted to put something in.

Still, the area looks like Shadyside compared to the area betwen 579 and Heinz Street. These blocks contain some of the worst urban blight in the city, with some blocks completely and totally empty. They nominally have parking on them in some cases, - the one at the corner of Heinz and S Canal is chained off and has grass growing out of it.

Virtually all of the vacant lots are owned by Buncher (who also owns two warehouses in the area). The assessor's site shows that many of these parcels had houses on them relatively recently. I'm guessing Buncher has had a long-term process of buying out and knocking down buildings here - for what reason I'm not sure. Is it pure land-banking, or is it plans for some future project? If it's the latter, I'm guessing they're going to wait until they get full control over all the blocks in this zone (excluding the block of the Heinz complex on the west side of Heinz Street) - which probably means that everything historic remaining in the area they don't own yet (maybe seven buildings) will get demolished and they'll start with a clean slate.

Regardless, I know when I saw the Allegheny Riverfront Vision plan, there was a riverfront view which showed new construction filling these blocks. Was this merely "aspirational" or has anything actually ever publicly been discussed?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Found5dollar View Post
"Urban Genius"

That is the funniest marketing tag line I have ever heard.

*EDIT*
but in all fairness it is a perfectly fine background building. The 92% floor usage and completely column free floor plates is impressive. The building doesnt stand out, but thats kind of the point, it is supposed to fill in, not rise above. Anyone else notice how similar to Three PNC Plaza the porportions are? i meen it has a mid building balcony just like 3 PNC.
I thought the same. They'd even be pretty close in height.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone7281 View Post
Maybe I'm confused, but isn't this the building they'd tear down for the new Oxford Building?

Street View...

What's the history behind it? It looks like any other boring, plain, 6 story building to me.
I know it was once a famous Downtown department store. Also, although the detailing isn't the most ornate for the period, it's not like it's very plain compared to contemporary architecture, and every one of those we knock down means another historic building we no longer have. Plus, it is a good-sized building for its age - it's not like it's a collection of 2-4 story storefronts downtown, which would be very difficult, if not impossible, to turn into Class A office space.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 3:47 PM

Quote:

Street View...

Yep, that's the building that Oxford would tear down. It was built as the Frank & Seder department store. It's a great little building. I understand that the interior is pretty torn up (not much historic interior to protect or restore). But apparently the biggest challenge to its reuse is the relatively low ceilings---slab to slab measurement is weirdly low, like seven or eight feet. I understand that makes reuse really difficult. There was a wishful discussion on this page a while back about Oxford erecting a new skyscraper within the preserved façade of the F&S building, a la the Hearst Tower in New York.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 3:48 PM

Is anyone else feeling like this is a total lift of the PNC 3 design? But smaller? And more boring?

And also, let's consider that this thing may be going up a block or two away on the Saks site. Is this mid-section cut-out design element the new corner cupola for glass towers? This is two very similar boring ass towers in the same time frame, right near each other.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 3:55 PM

That's 3 out of 4 new towers with the same basic design. Getting angrier as I sit here.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I know it was once a famous Downtown department store. Also, although the detailing isn't the most ornate for the period, it's not like it's very plain compared to contemporary architecture, and every one of those we knock down means another historic building we no longer have. Plus, it is a good-sized building for its age - it's not like it's a collection of 2-4 story storefronts downtown, which would be very difficult, if not impossible, to turn into Class A office space.
There is definitely some detail work up by the roof that looks pretty cool, but all in all I'm not super attached to it as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNewYork View Post
Yep, that's the building that Oxford would tear down. It was built as the Frank & Seder department store. It's a great little building. I understand that the interior is pretty torn up (not much historic interior to protect or restore). But apparently the biggest challenge to its reuse is the relatively low ceilings---slab to slab measurement is weirdly low, like seven or eight feet. I understand that makes reuse really difficult. There was a wishful discussion on this page a while back about Oxford erecting a new skyscraper within the preserved façade of the F&S building, a la the Hearst Tower in New York.
Yeah, now that you mention Frank & Seder that does kind of ring a bell, probably from discussions that came up when Oxford made their original proposal. Something like the Hearst Tower would be awesome but I can't really see that happening.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 3:59 PM

Quote:
It looks like any other boring, plain, 6 story building to me.
But they could turn it into this:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations