HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 4:40 PM

We do not run to staples. We place orders and it gets delivered. Paper, pens, ink, whatever we need. Comes in every couple weeks. Most definitely re not running back and forth with boxes of paper lol

Maybe it does not come from the portage location but rather a warehouse somewhere. I don't actually know.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 8:19 PM

In 2013 Staples opened a 152,000 sq ft distribution center at 200 Discovery Pl., in the Inksbrook Industrial Park.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 5:08 PM

^^ Fairly sure before moving to Inksbrook Staples had their distribution centre at the corner of St James and Notre Dame.

I believe when an online order comes in it goes first to the local warehouse for fulfillment. If they cannot meet the request from there they then try to pull from a local store and only after that do they start trying to pull from other locations.

I am not sure if Staples runs a massive fulfillment centre like Best Buy or Amazon.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 5:08 PM

Clearly they aren’t supplying offices from the Portage Place store

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 7:36 PM

Anybody Know What's Going On At ...

... the site of the old Arena? I know about PF Chang, but, I was at the show the other day and there was a lot of construction like activity going on in several spots. I asked the security guy at the cinema and he did not know. Just wondering if anyone has any inside information.

Plus, I read the article about Garden City Shopping Centre in the Wpg. Free Press last week and mention was made of 2 stand alone restaurants being built on the McPhillips/Leila corner portion of the parking lot. I think East Side Mario's was one. Just wondering about the other one.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laumag View Post
... the site of the old Arena? I know about PF Chang, but, I was at the show the other day and there was a lot of construction like activity going on in several spots. I asked the security guy at the cinema and he did not know. Just wondering if anyone has any inside information.

Plus, I read the article about Garden City Shopping Centre in the Wpg. Free Press last week and mention was made of 2 stand alone restaurants being built on the McPhillips/Leila corner portion of the parking lot. I think East Side Mario's was one. Just wondering about the other one.
Popeyes chicken is supposedly the one under construction now at GC.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Popeyes chicken is supposedly the one under construction now at GC.
And a QDOBA

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
And a QDOBA
They also had a sign for east side Mario’s up there for a good 6 months.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 2:48 AM

I have been hearing east side Mario’s is not going there after all. Any confirmation?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 2:53 AM

I believe the sign they had up for east side Mario’s was looking for a franchisee to take the location.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 1:21 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
I believe the sign they had up for east side Mario’s was looking for a franchisee to take the location.
Apparently East Side Mario's jumped the gun and put the "coming soon" sign up while they were negotiating the lease. The mall should have made them take it down but decided not to (I guess the figured it would be good advertising). Needless to say, I guess they never reached a lease agreement.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 1:24 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laumag View Post
I believe most of the activity on the site is construction staging for the roadwork on Empress. PF Chang's should be the only on site construction activity.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Apparently East Side Mario's jumped the gun and put the "coming soon" sign up while they were negotiating the lease. The mall should have made them take it down but decided not to (I guess the figured it would be good advertising). Needless to say, I guess they never reached a lease agreement.
Sounds like a repeat of the Milestones Grill and Bar coming to corner of Portage and Donald only to be replaced by Brown's Social House.

As both East Side Mario's and Milestone are owned by Recipe Unlimited (Nee Cara Foods) I wonder why they can't find operators in the Winnipeg Market.
They were also going to open a Swiss Chalet next to the Home Depot in St. Vital but that one also fell thru after they could not find an operator for that location.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
As both East Side Mario's and Milestone are owned by Recipe Unlimited (Nee Cara Foods) I wonder why they can't find operators in the Winnipeg Market.
How long can our good luck last?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:01 PM

There's a dearth of sit down restarants in the area of GC. Hopefully something other than ther two quick service entries mentioned is coming.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:02 PM

Quote:
There's a dearth of sit down restarants in the area of GC. Hopefully something other than ther two quick service entries mentioned is coming.
I can't believe how many small restaurants surround Save On Foods grocery including DQ, Tim's, OPA, Jollibee, burrito place, Joey's fish chips and noticed a sign for Winnipeg 1st "Loaded Pierogi"

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
I can't believe how many small restaurants surround Save On Foods grocery including DQ, Tim's, OPA, Jollibee, burrito place, Joey's fish chips and noticed a sign for Winnipeg 1st "Loaded Pierogi"
Loaded Pierogi? Must be going next to Booster Juice?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:44 PM

The revamp of Pembina Crossing with Save On moving in has started. There is now a Petland sign in the vacant spot where Spirit of Halloween normally went, and the signs for Shapes have been removed.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 6:21 PM

Quote:
I believe most of the activity on the site is construction staging for the roadwork on Empress. PF Chang's should be the only on site construction activity.
Hmmm. I drove by yesterday too and wondered what the heck was going on. They had markers in the ground laying out 'something' and an awful lot of activity. The staging is further east toward Empress. All the activity is on the west and south of P.F. Chang's.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 7:19 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
After seeing the Calgary locations and how dead THOSE are... trust me, Winnipeg would be better off just living off from Pizza Hotline, Santa Lucia, Gondola and Chicken Delight forever. Along with that one pizza place near Portage and Moray, can barely remember the name... Pizzaland or something?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan