HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 7:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
N.O. population still growing, but more slowly
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...ll-growing-but
Btw the mail metric isn't the best metric to measure households anymore. I for one don't receive my personal mail in New Orleans yet have lived in the city for 10 years . Many renters are like that !

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 8:54 PM

Nola.com has live updates on airport bidding:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...cart_graystrip

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Nola.com has live updates on airport bidding:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...cart_graystrip
So it begins...

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 12:25 AM
TL;DR

Wow that was some detailed coverage. Far more than what is in the official minutes I bet.

Even though the Hunt-Gibbs-Boh team is the same local players, their local experience might be a big advantage, and seems like more of the money would stay in the community instead of flying a bunch of experienced personnel in from out of town.

I just hope they're not too bush-league to pull off a major architectural landmark like this, the value-engineering suggestions from NOLA Airport Builders showed a certain level of sophistication. When Hunt-Gibbs-Boh runs into cost constraints, will their ideas be so creative? Their architecture guy is from Perez, the same folks who gave us the tacky renovations to the current terminal.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 2:20 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I for one don't receive my personal mail in New Orleans yet have lived in the city for 10 years .
Whut

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Whut
He might use a PO box in Jefferson parish or something. Don't hurt yourself

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 1:06 PM
life is good

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...ng-conversion/
Quote:
[
Home / News / Construction and Real Estate / Apartments planned for California Building conversion
Apartments planned for California Building conversion

Another 155 apartments will be added to the downtown rental housing stock when the conversion of the 10-story office building at 1111 Tulane Ave. is complete, possibly by late next year.
Craig Boes and Malin Metrejean are the developers behind the renovation of what was once known as the California Building, built in 1948 as a general purpose office structure. The name comes from its former tenant, the California Union Insurance Co.
The 190,000-square-foot building is bounded by South Rampart Street, Elk Place and the 17-story building at 144 Elk Place that developer Mike Wampold just spent $20 million to turn into apartments.
Boes, whose family owns Boes Iron Works, acquired the building in April 2013 for $4 million from a California real estate investment company and Neal Hixon, the developer who 0put the nearby Joy Theater back in business.
Boes teamed with Metrejean, owner of Malin Construction Co. Inc. in Metairie, to handle the conversion after his iron works business worked as a subcontractor for Malin on previous projects.
“I knew she would be willing to invest not just the resources but the time needed to make this project happen,” Boes said.
The building’s ground floor, which once housed an A&G Cafeteria, opens to a mezzanine level. Plans call for retail tenants at street level and studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments on the remaining floors, including penthouse townhomes that will span the ninth and 10th floors.
Those upper-level units are the only part of the project that will call for noticeable changes to the exterior of the building. Mechanical housings on the roof will have to be reworked to allow for additional living space. Penthouse residents will also have access to a terrace space.
Storage space for tenants will be provided in the center of each floor of the building, eliminating the need for residents to rent off-site storage space, Metrejean said. Placing apartments in the middle of the building would have required an extensive overhaul to provide the natural lighting required for dwelling units.
The building was originally shaped like a horseshoe that was closed in the early 1980s after Hibernia National Bank acquired the property and added more office space.
The current renovation has received the approval of the Historic District Landmarks Commission and a preliminary OK from the State Fire Marshall. Boes said they are only waiting for the city to formally clear plans before moving ahead on construction, for which a $15 million building permit was filed last month. The project is being financed in part with historic tax credits.
Architect Roland Bodden of Metro Studios said the exterior of the building will be returned to its original design, which includes cleaning and restoring the original masonry, windows and the stainless steel coping that envelops the main entrance.
On the interior, a reception desk will be added while floor-to-ceiling marble on the walls will be retained along with the stainless steel elevator doors reflecting Art Deco influences on the building’s design.
“It was built right on the fringe of the Art Deco and Modern eras, so it has elements of both,” Bodden said....

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 1:10 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
He might use a PO box in Jefferson parish or something. Don't hurt yourself
Ok. Lol. It's just that I've moved over all over the country and never heard of such a thing. Seems like such an unnecessary hassle. To state that there are a large number of people doing that seems inaccurate (not trying to be rude). I agree that mail households may not be the best way to count population, though.

And 1.3 percent growth in a year is pretty strong.

Last edited by Eightball; Aug 9, 2014 at 1:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 3:00 PM
-

Quote:
Ok. Lol. It's just that I've moved over all over the country and never heard of such a thing. Seems like such an unnecessary hassle. To state that there are a large number of people doing that seems inaccurate (not trying to be rude). I agree that mail households may not be the best way to count population, though.

I get my mail at my office because I move a lot ... And the office is outside the city . I'm just saying by their metric I wouldn't be counted as living here that's all. Make of it what you will!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 3:38 PM
life is good

On point. That makes a lot of sense (getting it at your office) since you are there all the time anyways.

I know we've read about it before, but the renovation at 1111 Tulane Ave sounds top notch. Excited to see the finished product.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 3:01 PM

Man, the corner of Tulane and Loyola, S. Rampart seems like it will soon be reaching a tipping point into a completely restored area. That surface lot doesn't help, but it at least was installed recently and has decent landscaping.

-Have we heard or seen anything lately regarding the Oil and Gas Building renovation? I drove by recently and the Ampersand sign is down and a dumpster was out front.

-1010 Common has a new owner that is bullish and I seem to remember reading that work might be a head.

A Downtown transit facility would really help the area, too.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 3:13 PM

Great news about the California building. I'm just wondering if we'll actually see any retail stores opening up? Wasn't there supposed to be retail in the Saratoga as well? All I see when I drive past that building is an empty looking lobby area and people waiting for the bus.

Any news on the Rault Center? That has to be one of the big remaining downtown eyesores.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 1:14 AM
TL;DR

There's no demand for retail. Wait until the buildings are filled up (Saratoga, Elk Place, California, Oil & Gas). Then you might get some convenience retail - fast food, dry cleaners, corner store, coffee shop, etc.

I don't think that area will ever become a dining destination, but great restaurants pop up all the time in surprising places.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 6:48 AM

Using the household data provided from the Data Center, and then applying the average household size for each neighborhood from the census I extrapolated the population of the 7 major "districts" of the city.

Ranked by population:

Uptown = 105,849
New Orleans East = 73,661
Downtown = 58,716
Algiers = 53,614
Gentilly = 38,318
Mid-City = 31,583
Lakeview = 20,424

City = 381,524 (This assumes a static Household size number which is likely not the case, so a margin of error is involved)

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 1:51 PM

Transport Politic looks at the New Orleans streetcar expansion that Veiola has proposed and notes that infrastructure investment is good but RTA can't forget that service quality is even more important. The article notes the difficulty with that, though--federal grants can only go to capital expansion not operations.

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...tal-expansion/

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 1:57 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
There's no demand for retail. Wait until the buildings are filled up (Saratoga, Elk Place, California, Oil & Gas). Then you might get some convenience retail - fast food, dry cleaners, corner store, coffee shop, etc.

I don't think that area will ever become a dining destination, but great restaurants pop up all the time in surprising places.
Yeah don't expect to see much retail until all these places open up. Centralized transit center will help too. There is finally a cocktail lunge planned for bottom of Saratoga called Krewe . So things are finally starting

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 8:27 PM

Tennis, regarding your question on your Tumblr, I imagine it's related to this, but I didn't realize that construction was going to start so soon (I thought it was part of the ramp meters/re-striping project that is supposed to be bid later this year):

The first project is at the US 90 on-ramp at Claiborne Avenue. Transportation officials say it is being elevated, extended and a third interstate lane will be added to make merging traffic less dangerous.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Ponchartra...263573081.html

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
Tennis, regarding your question on your Tumblr, I imagine it's related to this, but I didn't realize that construction was going to start so soon (I thought it was part of the ramp meters/re-striping project that is supposed to be bid later this year):

The first project is at the US 90 on-ramp at Claiborne Avenue. Transportation officials say it is being elevated, extended and a third interstate lane will be added to make merging traffic less dangerous.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Ponchartra...263573081.html
So what's the over/under on the ramp meters being ignored? I'd take the over at 30%, but I don't think I'd have any takers.

Hopefully they work, though. It says the entire length of the expressway will be re-striped- not sure if they just mean a paint job or an actual realignment.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 2:26 PM

Quote:

We use a PO Box in Jefferson for what can't be e-mailed. NOLA mail service is the worst.

But I think those more tech savvy ppl use mostly e-mail

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 2:28 PM

Glad to see Chef Adolfo buying this place. I have my doubts about this corridor, but it does seem like there is a spark that has been lit.

http://canalstreetbeat.com/chef-adol...ew-restaurant/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations