HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 9:59 PM

I'm pretty sure that the next technology leap in motorized travel will be drones not planes. Planes are ancient, they can't be fully controlled, they need to fly at a minimum speed in order to not crash. Huge airports might not be needed in 2100.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
As of tonight, Mexicans will need visas to enter Canada once again.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mex...ylum-1.7128408

Let’s see how this affects AM on their multiple daily flights from MEX to YUL, YVR and YYZ. I think reductions are more than likely.

The article says it won’t be as bad as the Harper era visa requirement, but that it will still affect 40% of Mexican travellers to Canada.
Checked flight schedules for late April and May, and I'm seeing AM reduce YYZ, YUL and YVR to 1x daily flight to each on certain days. As expected, the visa requirement is definitely suppressing demand.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Checked flight schedules for late April and May, and I'm seeing AM reduce YYZ, YUL and YVR to 1x daily flight to each on certain days. As expected, the visa requirement is definitely suppressing demand.
Considering Mexicans enjoy visa-free travel to 125 other countries including the European Union, I don’t blame them for choosing to bypass Canada and visit elsewhere instead. It’s not just the cost, it’s also the hassle.

At the same time, there’s also the matter of demand from Canadians visiting that country, it’s a popular winter destination but I know very few people who travel there in the summer.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Considering Mexicans enjoy visa-free travel to 125 other countries including the European Union, I don’t blame them for choosing to bypass Canada and visit elsewhere instead. It’s not just the cost, it’s also the hassle.

At the same time, there’s also the matter of demand from Canadians visiting that country, it’s a popular winter destination but I know very few people who travel there in the summer.
But will those 125 countries let them apply for asylum so easily tho’
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7128408

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post

AM carries predominantly Mexican point of sale customers. Every time I walked by their check-in counters, it was 70-80% Mexicans, 20% Canadians.

Most Canadians fly Canadian carriers to Mexico. So this will have minimal impact on Canadians flying to sun destinations in Mexico.

No matter how this affects AM, I think it was the right move by our government. There was a time we could handle a massive influx of immigrants and refugees. Not anymore. So something had to be done.

Sucks for AM though. For the last couple of years, Mexico was downgraded to CAT 2 status by the FAA, and then when they finally regained Cat 1, their JV with DL didn't get renewed by the DOT, and now the Canadian government reinstates visa requirements.

They can’t catch a break it seems.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Apr 7, 2024 at 8:16 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 3:22 PM

Winnipeg WestJet News

YWG YOW
YWG YUL
YWG BNA

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
Winnipeg WestJet News

YWG YOW
YWG YUL
YWG BNA
Some details: I see this summer YWG-YUL is bookable again nonstop daily.

WS already flies YWG-YOW and I don't see any difference to their daily service??

YWG-BNA. Starting sometime in September it appears. Ops days 15 and on a MAX no less! I guess that Manitoba subsidy money is really working in that the pot of $ is there but keeps getting shifted to a new route. First LAX, then ATL, not BNA. Impressive.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 3:46 PM

Also YEG-YUL/YOW were extended to year-round. Both going daily in the summer.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 4:00 PM

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
Some details: I see this summer YWG-YUL is bookable again nonstop daily.

WS already flies YWG-YOW and I don't see any difference to their daily service??

YWG-BNA. Starting sometime in September it appears. Ops days 15 and on a MAX no less! I guess that Manitoba subsidy money is really working in that the pot of $ is there but keeps getting shifted to a new route. First LAX, then ATL, not BNA. Impressive.
It has yet to be determined if any subsidies have been incentivised for these routes. We had the Montreal route on WS pre-pandemic which was successful from my understanding, and I doubt they would have used subsidies to get a seasonal leisure route since YWG has seemingly used it to incentivise major US routes, none of which have been used as of yet from my understanding since the routes have been profitable. Not sure what the YOW news is since we (YWG) already have year-round service on WS there....??

Regardless, a major win for YWG, especially more competition for YUL with AC. I'm glad to see WS continue to build up YWG as a regional hub. Now to get our YHZ service extended to year-round and re-establish our UK service in the near future!

Last edited by Justanothermember; Apr 8, 2024 at 4:27 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
It has yet to be determined if any subsidies have been incentivised for these routes. We had the Montreal route on WS pre-pandemic which was successful from my understanding, and I doubt they would have used subsidies to get a seasonal leisure route since YWG has it seemingly used to incentivise major US routes, none of which have been used as of yet from my understanding since the routes have been profitable. Not sure what the YOW news is since we (YWG) already have year-round service on WS there....??

Regardless, a major win for YWG, especially more competition for YUL with AC.
Yeah that's what I was referring to. The incentive $ Manitoba has been ponying up for new YWG routes hasn't been touched yet, so I'm guessing they're redeploying it each time to put out a carrot for WS to add more.

I'm guessing the YWG-YOW reference above is that it's fully year-round again and back up to ops X67 this winter? This past winter it was 4x weekly (days 1234) with a 6 week hiatus after the summer schedule. YOW-YEG will also operate X67.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
Also YEG-YUL/YOW were extended to year-round. Both going daily in the summer.
I can see why YWG and YEG are coming back out of YUL given YUL's becoming a WS base thanks to the Sunwing integration. YUL-YEG this winter will be days 1235. YUL-YWG will be X67. WS still don't have any domestic Saturday flying loaded out of YUL.

Now when are WS ever going to make YOW/YUL-YVR year-round? It's a total head scratcher that they don't.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 5:19 PM

Airbus workers at MirabeL reject company's second contract offer:

....Unionized employees at the Airbus assembly facility in Mirabel, Que., rejected the company's latest contract offer in a vote Sunday.

A statement from Airbus said it had been holding talks with representatives of the Airbus A220 workers since they rejected the first offer three weeks ago.

The company says the dialogue at the bargaining table had been "open and constructive," and it submitted a "new improved" offer to members of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers on March 29.

But the Airbus statement says there is "still a gap between the union's demands and the current financial capacity of the A220 which has not yet reached breakeven."....

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canadian...ffer-1.2056337

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah that's what I was referring to. The incentive $ Manitoba has been ponying up for new YWG routes hasn't been touched yet, so I'm guessing they're redeploying it each time to put out a carrot for WS to add more.

I'm guessing the YWG-YOW reference above is that it's fully year-round again and back up to ops X67 this winter? This past winter it was 4x weekly (days 1234) with a 6 week hiatus after the summer schedule. YOW-YEG will also operate X67.

I can see why YWG and YEG are coming back out of YUL given YUL's becoming a WS base thanks to the Sunwing integration. YUL-YEG this winter will be days 1235. YUL-YWG will be X67. WS still don't have any domestic Saturday flying loaded out of YUL.

Now when are WS ever going to make YOW/YUL-YVR year-round? It's a total head scratcher that they don't.
Sorry, what I meant was that I don't think any subsidies were used as an incentive for these routes. YUL and BNA don't fit the pattern of the type of destinations the subsidies have been previously used for, such as ATL and LAX. I could be wrong, but I don't see any evidence of it in these cases.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Sorry, what I meant was that I don't think any subsidies were used as an incentive for these routes. YUL and BNA don't fit the pattern of the type of destinations the subsidies have been previously used for, such as ATL and LAX. I could be wrong, but I don't see any evidence of it in these cases.
YUL definitely not, but BNA from YWG is kinda out there to put it mildly. The YWG Airport Authority must have put up some kind of incentive package for WS to jump on it. It's also low risk as WS are only running it for < 3 months this fall to test out the waters.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 10:19 PM

Quote:
YUL definitely not, but BNA from YWG is kinda out there to put it mildly. The YWG Airport Authority must have put up some kind of incentive package for WS to jump on it. It's also low risk as WS are only running it for < 3 months this fall to test out the waters.
BNA is a destination WS has been focusing on with all of its's major hubs. YWG is one of WSs hubs now so it's par for the course that we start seeing these types of flights popping up gradually. I also expect one or both of seasonal SFO and SAN to commence within the next year or two. I'm very pleased that YWG is part of WSs focus strategy because we get a good amount of perks with that privilege.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 11:23 PM

WestJet propels Winnipeg's growth forward with new year-round, daily service to Montreal and Ottawa

Further expanding Winnipeg's transborder leisure network, WestJet to launch the only direct service to Nashville

WINNIPEG, MB, April 8, 2024 /CNW/ - WestJet today celebrated the latest additions to its Winnipeg network, featuring new year-round, daily service to Montreal, as well as increased, daily, year-round service to Ottawa, beginning June 3, 2024. WestJet also announced new highly anticipated seasonal service between Winnipeg and Nashville, set to take off on September 16, 2024, establishing the airline's seventh direct transborder connection out of Manitoba's capital city.

WestJet propels Winnipeg's growth forward with new year-round, daily service to Montreal and Ottawa (CNW Group/WESTJET, an Alberta Partnership)

WestJet's ongoing commitment to significantly enhancing Winnipeg's growing network of air connectivity, central to the airline's ambitious growth strategy, was on display today at a special event hosted at Winnipeg Richardson International Airport, attended by the Honourable Wab Kinew, Premier of Manitoba and Nick Hays, President and CEO, Winnipeg Airports Authority.

Providing choice and convenience for Winnipeg's thriving business community

"We know how critical Ottawa and Montreal are for Winnipeg's business community, and we are thrilled to continue supporting Winnipeg's economic growth through strategic air service," said Mike Scott, WestJet Group Executive Vice-President and Chief Financial Officer. "Expanding connectivity for Winnipeg is in direct response to our WestJet Rewards members and loyal business guests' need for reliable and convenient, non-stop service to and from both Ottawa and Montreal."

Start Date 3 June 2024

Winnipeg - Ottawa

Daily

Departure (local) 17:15

Arrival (local) 20:50

Ottawa - Winnipeg

Daily

June 3

Departure (local) 21:35

Arrival (local) 23:26

Winnipeg - Montreal

Daily

Start Date 3 June 2024

Departure (local) 9:35

Arrival (local)13:20

Montreal - Winnipeg

Daily

June 3

Departure (local) 14:20

Arrival (local) 16:30

"There's something exciting happening in Winnipeg and in Manitoba right now. People across the country are recognizing the opportunities we have here – from our incredible low-carbon economy, to our arts, culture, music and sports," said Premier Wab Kinew. "The addition of these routes is a part of that – making it easier to drive economic growth and attract visitors to our beautiful province."

Connecting Winnipeg and Music City

Further enhancing WestJet's position as Canada's leading leisure airline, WestJet will become the only airline providing direct connectivity between Winnipeg and Nashville this fall.

Winnipeg – Nashville

2x weekly

Start date September 16

End Date November 15

Depart (local) 11:10

Arrive (local) 14:20

Nashville - Winnipeg

2x weekly

Depart (local) 7:40

Arrive (local) 10:25

"Strong air connectivity unlocks a world of opportunities for all those who live and work in Manitoba, allowing them to embark on bold journeys while growing their roots at home," said Nick Hays, Winnipeg Airports Authority President & CEO. "We're greatly appreciative of WestJet's unwavering commitment to our community. Their continued growth at YWG and eagerness to work with us to launch new routes not only underscore the strength of our longstanding partnership but also exemplify our shared dedication to enhancing the region's economic and social wellbeing."

WestJet's 2024 schedule provides expansive coverage across Canada and increased access to popular leisure destinations across North America
With the addition of Montreal and Nashville, WestJet will connect Winnipeg to over 23 non-stop destinations this year.

https://westjet.mediaroom.com/2024-0...eal-and-Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 11:49 PM

The YUL and YOW additions seem like a strike at Porter, who is angling in on those markets to the West. But definitely good for YWG if they were able to get these routes without incentives, and year-round right off the bat. Even YVR doesn't get year-round to either of these destinations on WS, so it is quite the boost for YWG! YWG is lucky as it is far enough east from YYC to make backtracking to YYC a bigger issue for eastern bound flights (compared to any BC airport or even SK, where they really funnel things through YYC).

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 5:24 AM

Quote:
BNA is a destination WS has been focusing on with all of its's major hubs. YWG is one of WSs hubs now so it's par for the course that we start seeing these types of flights popping up gradually. I also expect one or both of seasonal SFO and SAN to commence within the next year or two. I'm very pleased that YWG is part of WSs focus strategy because we get a good amount of perks with that privilege.
YWG is not a WS hub though. It’s a focus city. It does not have deliberately set up banks like a hub does. Take the inbound from YOW that is shifting to a late evening arrival. It’ll be 100% reliant upon O&D traffic. The fact YWG-BNA will only be twice weekly shows this is clearly dipping a toe to see how it does from a WS focus city that is half the size of YEG’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
The YUL and YOW additions seem like a strike at Porter, who is angling in on those markets to the West. But definitely good for YWG if they were able to get these routes without incentives, and year-round right off the bat. Even YVR doesn't get year-round to either of these destinations on WS, so it is quite the boost for YWG! YWG is lucky as it is far enough east from YYC to make backtracking to YYC a bigger issue for eastern bound flights (compared to any BC airport or even SK, where they really funnel things through YYC).
The YOW addition is a grand total of one extra weekly flight year-round vs 2023 plus closing the six week hiatus gap from last fall.

For YWG-YUL it’s reinstating a pre-pandemic route that will make them less weak at YUL yet still incredibly weak. For both YOW and YUL to YWG, still less overall frequency than in 2019.

I don’t think this will have any effect on PD adding YUL-YWG to feed TS’ Euro bank, nor stop them from increasing YWG-YOW to twice daily at some point as PD build actual hub banks at YOW in the coming months/years.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 5:59 AM

Quote:
YWG is not a WS hub though. It’s a focus city. It does not have deliberately set up banks like a hub does. Take the inbound from YOW that is shifting to a late evening arrival. It’ll be 100% reliant upon O&D traffic. The fact YWG-BNA will only be twice weekly shows this is clearly dipping a toe to see how it does from a WS focus city that is half the size of YEG’s.
Well I'm not going to get into semantics because there is only one 'hub' for WS (and I know hard core posters here get hung up on semantics); Fortress Calgary. But it's focus cities are definitely developing into regional hubs, which is what I'm talking about, and that is happening for YWG, regardless if other Canadian cities accept it or not.

Last edited by Justanothermember; Apr 9, 2024 at 6:57 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Well I'm not going to get into semantics because there is only one 'hub' (and I know hard core posters here get hung up on semantics); Calgary. But it's focus cities are definitely developing into regional hubs, which is what I'm talking about, and that is happening for YWG, regardless if other Canadian cities accept it or not.
Leaving the titles aside. What would make a lot of sense is going back to the "good old days". Some 10-15 years ago, there was an early morning departure out of Saskatoon, Regina into Winnipeg. Then connecting flights to Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa.

For those of us where were living in Saskatchewan at the time that made WestJet remotely viable for flights going east.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada