HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 4:43 AM
Fourth and Main

Wake Forest University Downtown Medical School:
It appears as if Wake Forest University is buying their downtown medical school? I'm not sure if the downtown engineering school is included? If this information is correct, we should see news reports later this week showing all of the details. As I reported a few years ago, they were strongly interested in buying it and not permanently leasing it. Ownership of the building shows a long-term commitment to having the medical school downtown.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz_Ebo View Post
I feel strongly enough on the topic that I actually registered just to reply about the train situation in Winston. As a millennial STEM worker I apparently fall into the category of people that Winston spends a lot of effort to attract, and our lack of any real train service is definitely something that comes up in conversation these days. It is becoming clear that not everyone wants (or can) swap to an electric car in the next decade, and I believe we are seeing other options (ebikes, trains, bicycles) become more desirable as they pick up the balance.

It is also good to remember that train service is an important option for everyone who can't get in their well-maintained car and drive to something several states away. Regular train service would be a huge positive for the poorest and oldest citizens in Winston.
Great point. Rail service--like most public transportation--is often lifted up as an amenity to attract young people, knowledge workers, etc., but it's also incredibly important for people who use the services by necessity, rather than by choice.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
It appears as if Wake Forest University is buying their downtown medical school? I'm not sure if the downtown engineering school is included? If this information is correct, we should see news reports later this week showing all of the details. As I reported a few years ago, they were strongly interested in buying it and not permanently leasing it. Ownership of the building shows a long-term commitment to having the medical school downtown.
I agree, ownership of the building should assuage that portion of the community who seem to think that the medical school was destined to be completely moved to CLT. On the other hand, I hate that the building will most likely be moved off the tax rolls since it will be owned by a non-profit entity rather than a for profit building owner.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Indeed! Phenomenal news for the IQ and WFU’s commitment to W-S.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalo View Post
I agree, ownership of the building should assuage that portion of the community who seem to think that the medical school was destined to be completely moved to CLT. On the other hand, I hate that the building will most likely be moved off the tax rolls since it will be owned by a non-profit entity rather than a for profit building owner.

Agreed on both the commitment aspect and unfortunate loss of tax revenue.

Did anyone see this in the TBJ?

Freischlag said" that AHWFB has been looking at both new construction and vacated buildings for the [Eye] institute and that plans will be announced soon."

I assume vacated buildings would likely be the former Inmar building?

Last edited by WSBornNBred; Aug 10, 2023 at 10:42 AM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Buying property does not show a long-term commitment. People buy property all the time and sell it before the ink dries. What I see is that the real owner of the property is showing their lack of commitment and may be wanting to get out of Winston. Besides $38 million investments is this type of property is not that large of an investment.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 4:20 PM

Thank you LynnAikens; I agree completely. I’m pleased someone else reported this since my posts seem to lean a bit toward the pessimistic.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 11:13 PM

It certainly doesn’t tie them to keeping the med school downtown but it’s also true that they would be unlikely to buy it if they knew they were moving it. I think it’s far fetched that they would close the school in Winston regardless so this doesn’t move the needle for me either way.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 11:33 PM
Fourth and Main

Wake Forest had two options in their contract. One to buy the property in a few years and the other to continue renting it, with extensions. Wake Forest could've backed-out of buying it and just rented to see if they wanted to stay there or leave. Instead, they took the buy it option, which some thought they would back away from when the Atrium deal happened. For some developers, seeing the development's anchor is owned by the university may also provide some certainty when making a big investment. Wexford is also involved in the next phases, so they aren't leaving.

What surprises me: Wake Forest has Wexford developing their Eye Institute. Wexford has deep national and international pockets backing them and could easily break ground with a 90-100% lease. Wake Forest could rent the space for so many years with an option to buy, as they did with the medical school, but instead it appears as if they want to own the Eye Institute from day one? If they signed a lease, all they need is a lease payment when it opens and upfit costs. And 8-10 years from now, that building will sell at a very reasonable price.

At this point, I just want to see the Eye Institute built and watch downtown enjoy the benefits of it. I guessed, about two years ago, that Wake Forest would be the tenant to take that (former Inmar Headquarters) property off the market. That was actually the building I was waiting on a call to learn more about. There is a lot of interest in it, but no one signs a lease. The building isn't lab space. It's all office space. And it isn't a sure thing it can be upfitted for the Eye Institute. I still think Wake Forest will be the tenant that eventually takes it off the market. The second phase site has a downside. It's separated from the rest of downtown by railroad tracks and highways. It has only one real connection to the rest of the Innovation Quarter, through Research Parkway. However, it still feels like its own place, separate from everything else. That could limit the impact anything there has on the rest of downtown. Even if you try to connect it more to downtown, the western side is government offices and courthouses. The benefit to building there is mostly filling that site in. However, the benefit to the former Inmar site is being strongly connected to Bailey Park, Long Branch Trail, and downtown. The down side: That building is space they have available to attract one or more sizable tenants to the innovation district. Another downside: It's an ugly building with window issues and is sort of a building within a building. Any attempt to modify it can result in a loss of natural light. This is actually a building I would support demolishing or recladding.

Being honest, that second phase of the Innovation Quarter is the last downtown mega site and it's the last big site that is suitable for something loud. With the issues they are having at that site, I think it should be sold or traded to the City and the City should include bond money for a sizable amphitheatre there. If not an amphitheatre, maybe a small sports venue with ice surface? The area can host parking decks fully or partially hidden with residential, retail, trails, maybe a hotel if demand is there, maybe a park space with splash pad, and an amphitheatre. See which local architecture firm can produce an affordable plan and partner with a local or national developer through an RFP (City builds the amphitheatre and developer builds the decks, retail, hotel, residential, and park). Research Parkway is built to handle the traffic and has nothing along it to generate any additional traffic when the facility lets-out. This could benefit downtown retail, hotel, and restaurant owners. Some visitors may make a weekend trip out of a concert. It could also look spectacular from the highways and would allow for a better use of the space along the water feature. The Innovation Quarter was planning to line it with parking decks, Vision Street (named for the Eye Institute), and service entrances. I think it could be more for downtown than what they proposed. Just an idea I've had for a few years, but one I would like to more intensely pitch if the Eye Institute is built elsewhere.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 5:02 PM

As a current AHWFB employee, I can tell you the current plan is for the Eye Institute to be in the old Inmar building as opposed to a new build. As mentioned there would be substantial up fit required to make it work, however leadership is excited about the potential of the building and there is a lot of natural light that comes in through sky lights throughout the building's atrium (similar to Biotech Place). Apparently the internal design of the building is very unique and appealing as well. Not sure when/if the announcement will come but I do know the project is in the works.

Last edited by winstonmd; Aug 11, 2023 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonmd View Post
As a current AHWFB employee, I can tell you the current plan is for the Eye Institute to be in the old Inmar building as opposed to a new build. As mentioned there would be substantial up fit required to make it work, however leadership is excited about the potential of the building and there is a lot of natural light that comes in through sky lights throughout the building's atrium (similar to Biotech Place). Apparently the internal design of the building is very unique and appealing as well. Not sure when/if the announcement will come but I do know the project is in the works.
I hope not.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 10:42 PM

More on
100-unit mixed use project at Green and Fourth

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...m-develop.html

Last edited by DCMetroRaleigh; Aug 12, 2023 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2023, 1:13 AM

“I can tell you the current plan is for the Eye Institute to be in the old Inmar building as opposed to a new build.”

What? Continually disappointing news. Atrium views W-S as a backwater unimportant embarrassment. What a disappointment.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2023, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post
“I can tell you the current plan is for the Eye Institute to be in the old Inmar building as opposed to a new build.”

What? Continually disappointing news. Atrium views W-S as a backwater unimportant embarrassment. What a disappointment.
I guess it was foolish to think that you would leave at least a portion of the overwhelming negativity buried at the old WSTB site….

Old Posted Aug 12, 2023, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalo View Post
I guess it was foolish to think that you would leave at least a portion of the overwhelming negativity buried at the old WSTB site….
but i bet he's still loving those yadkin valley wines! (and probably is one of the 10 people on this website who will ride the train weekly in WS)

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 3:52 PM

Overwhelming negativity is definitely a bummer but seems a natural response to years of announcements that do not develop or simply disappear after being announced. And worse, the myriad of companies that thrive and are nurtured in W-S then leave for brighter lights. The Eye Institute was to be a jewel in the IQ, and now it will merely downsize considerably for a vacated building (if it even happens). Oh well, chin up, nothing disappointing about any of that.

The Yadkin Valley Wine Appellation has, at least, put W-S on the map and some of those wines are quite good. I recall that JoLo just won “best Rosé (named Pink) in the entire USA,” which is quite the achievement. And, I could be wrong but I reckon the Yadkin Valley cannot be moved to Charlotte, but that city will probably figure a way to capitalize on the Yadkin Valley while W-S management naps.

I do like trains. One might say what one will negatively about trains, but I repeat, train service serves as a marker of a successful city. I’m not sure, and haven’t checked but is there another city (metro area) the size of W-S without train service?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post

I do like trains. One might say what one will negatively about trains, but I repeat, train service serves as a marker of a successful city. I’m not sure, and haven’t checked but is there another city (metro area) the size of W-S without train service?
Certainly, it is an embarrassing oddity among East Coast cities.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 4:51 PM
Fourth and Main

Phoenix, AZ., doesn't have Amtrak service. I'm guessing that is the largest city without it? Winston-Salem is on the list of largest cities without Amtrak service, but not the largest.

If the Eye Institute selects the former Inmar Building, it will be larger than originally planned and closer to apartments/condominiums and retail/restaurants, where it can have a bigger impact on downtown. It should also be easier to walk or bike to in that location for employees and students. However, they can't modify the glass interior without losing natural light. It would still be an anchor of the Innovation Quarter, but not the second phase. It also would break-up a healthcare hub at that second phase. A proposed neuroscience research center could become the new anchor of that second phase and would spread-out healthcare as a new use, instead of concentrating it in one place. Of course I will push for taking that land from the Innovation Quarter and using it for entertainment uses. The Innovation Quarter has more than enough land for their expansions north of Third Street. That site should be used for a small sports venue with ice surface or an amphitheatre for live music. If you're supportive of more live music, this is the best site for it and they (Innovation Quarter and their development partners) are having issues developing it. I'm sure the City can develop it and turn that collection of grass fields into an asset for all of downtown and maybe a regional asset. It starts with getting the site away from that land bank and adding an amphitheatre to the bond request to allow locals to vote on supporting it financially. Please pitch this idea to your city councilperson. Hopefully, they (Innovation Quarter) will construct a parking deck to the east of the former Inmar Building, so they can starting filling-in that area north of Third Street and let the land to the south be used for one or more entertainment anchors.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 6:13 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. If you can, please support any local businesses sharing photographs and thank them.

An exciting first look at the outside of The Byrum, the Italian restaurant in Nationwide Marketing Headquarters is preparing to open, and a progress update on the newest craft beer brewery.

Video Link

Truliant Tower:
Still waiting on the sunburst before we can call this completed.

Credit: Marta Roman

The Byrum Apartments:
We finally have a "from the street" rendering of this project, to go along with our courtyard rendering. Of course it doesn't have any storefronts. This developer never adds them. It does have this developer's signature blank wall fronting the sidewalk. I guess Winston-Salem's rough terrain presents challenges for them? For those who forgot about this project, The Byrum Apartments is a 286 unit project with one and two bedroom rental units. This building will actually have three separate courtyards, with apartment units constructed around them. The main courtyard will have a pool and grilling stations, with an adjacent interior lounge and cantina that has roll-up garage doors opening to the pool deck. The other two courtyards are for passive recreational activities. The ground floor, fronting MLK, will have a fitness center and yoga room, a coworking area, and a pet spa with an adjacent pet park. All of this is just three or so blocks from the new site for the proposed Eye Institute at the former Inmar Building. Construction is set to start in Fall 2023.

Notice the cross-bracing detail over the balconies:

Credit: DPJ Residential

WFBH Eye Institute:
The Eye Institute is studying the former Inmar Headquarters to see if it can be converted into the new Eye Institute location. If the location can be converted and the conversion can be done at a cheaper price, this could further delay the next phase and the Neuroscience Research Center could become the new anchor for that phase. Nothing is final at this time. An eye-shaped new construction Eye Institute on Vision Street could cost around $170+ million. I've long said, in today's work-from-home world, that large office space will likely be taken by the medical school. It even has a drop-off and pick-up area for patients.

As I said... If nothing happened here (second phase of iQ) by 2024, I would begin to push for the City to take this property and use it for NEEDED downtown amenities, such as an amphitheatre and/or small arena with ice surface. It is the last large site in downtown suitable for loud music. Maybe giving them the Annex (if it will be replaced here) could be part of the deal?

Kaleideum Science Museum:

Credit: Joe Mills

Back of the building - Friday (8/11):

Credit: Judge Carrie F. Vickery

A look inside:

The Planetarium:

New Jobs:
John Deere Electric Powertrain is seeking incentives to construct their battery plant in Forsyth County.

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:
This project includes a private courtyard, parking under the building, a business center with coffee bar and private offices, a 24-hour package concierge system, and controlled building access. It also has an outdoor lounge with a fire pit, valet trash, a pet spa, electric-vehicle charging stations, and a fitness studio. Units have quartz countertops, smart thermostats, keyless entry, Energy Star lighting, high performance exterior windows and doors with optimal thermal and sound insulation, walk-in modular closets, ceiling fans, and gas cook-tops.

We have a new rendering, showing the northwest corner:

Credit: Brown Investment Properties

Post-tension cables (Wednesday 8/9):

Credit: Michael Sears

RJR Servants Quarters & Garage Lost:
Not much remains of the old Fifth Street Millionaires Row. This servants house/garage and Spring House Restaurant were really all that remained of the old Fifth Street Millionaires Row, east of Broad Street. The RJR House was demolished for the library many years ago. The churches were the first to replace some of the old houses in the 1920s and then Bell South built a tall Art Deco building there. It has only accelerated until Fifth Street, east of Broad Street, now only has one house remaining (Spring House Restaurant). I think Centenary United Methodist Church has demolished the most on this stretch of Millionaires Row, including this structure. If they need so much room, instead of demolishing anything they can get their hands on, maybe they need to consider going vertical or moving to the suburbs? I love the good the churches do for downtown, but wish they wouldn't destroy so much of the historic neighborhoods around them.

Video Link

Lot 63 Taproom + Coffeehouse:
Are you excited about enjoying craft beer and coffee in this 1867 building? Since it's a small space, the beer will be brewed at another site.

"Mocking up color options for Lot 63:"

Credit: latent_designs

Nationwide Marketing Headquarters:

The large Italian restaurant, in the retail space opening to Liberty Street, is cleaning their space, as they prepare to open:

Credit: Minerva's cleaning service inc

Nice view of the 23-storey Kimpton Cardinal Hotel through the window:

An upscale furniture company custom made the tables and seating in this restaurant:

Artreaux Apartments:

Small Courtyard:

Credit: theartreaux

Artwork/murals on the Walls:

Credit: theartreaux

This rendering of the game room reminds me of the demolished Myrtle Beach Pavilion:

Credit: The Artreaux

Off-Subject:

Video Link

Wake Forest Athletics:
Annual athletics donations are up and for the third straight year, donations surpassed $30,000,000. The university raised nearly $33 million for athletics this year. Interestingly, giving to athletics is up nearly 50%. Athletic Director John Currie said, since August 1, 2019, Wake Forest is one of the fastest growing brands in the Power 5 with 115% growth of its fan base. “Across the nation, over 2.7 million people now identify as Wake Forest fans, which ranks ninth in the league and ahead of Virginia Tech and just trailing N.C. State.” Wake Forest over-indexes on key elements including diversity, education, affluence, and influence in their place of business according to YouGov.

Home Price Increases:
Home prices are still increasing and increasing significantly more than North Carolina's other major metros.

According to CoreLogic:
Winston-Salem: 5.1%
Charlotte: 3.8%
Durham: -0.4%
Raleigh: -1.8%

Eyes on Trade - Finest Optical Retailers 2023:
Eyes on Trade, in downtown's Arts District, was selected as one of America's Finest Optical Retailers for 2023, by INVISION. They said "With a focus on independent frame lines that ordinary folks can afford, Eyes on Trade is a vibrant, fun, inclusive and LGBTQ-affirming practice that began gaining traction soon after it was opened by Dr. Jillian Okeefe in downtown Winston-Salem, NC, five years ago. The business was set up, according to optician and practice manager Maggie Campbell, “to make building a frame wardrobe full of rad glasses accessible to everyone. Our office prides itself on our customer service, and we have taken great pains to cultivate an inclusive and welcoming environment here in the store. We also make a point of involving ourselves with community events whenever possible.”"

To read more and see photographs: https://invisionmag.com/trading-on-a-good-name/

Random Photographs:

Bicycle Drag Racing Downtown:
Video Link

Video Link

Bicycle Criterium Racing Downtown:

Credit: Rierson

Your City

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 9:49 PM

Ooooh, I like The Byrum! It will really energize and aesthetically enhance northeast center city. I just want them to hurry up and get under construction in earnest!

Last edited by DCMetroRaleigh; Aug 13, 2023 at 10:42 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations