HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
^great news but I'm struggling to see where they could fit all those containers aywhere near the Market unless Courtyard Marriott gives up its parking lot for a summer.
Closing York street could work between Dalhousie and the Market. God forbid we lose 10 parkings spots though so I'm sure that's not the plan.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Amazing news! I was just reading about Stackt Market on Retail Insider yesterday and was wondering why something similar couldn't work in Ottawa.

I had considered potential locations but thought the shipping containers wouldn't really jive well with the historic Byward Market. I was instead thinking something at Lebreton or Bayview Yards would've been much more appropriate.
If you're Stackt Market or someone using them to sell a product/test ideas through retail, the market is probably one of the only attractive places in Ottawa to locate. It has enough foot traffic to test ideas at scale. I don't think it makes sense anywhere else (in Ottawa) based on Stackt's value prop.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 7:52 PM
Busy Beaver

Something like Stackt Market would be a great interim use for the current wasteland at LeBreton. Just spread a whole bunch of gravel to level out the site. It would create a brand new attraction between Pimisi Station and the War Museum. Great transit and bike access, a cool heritage aqueduct, and nice views of the city. Would create great synergy with big events like BluesFest.

Another interesting site for this would be Lady Grey Drive especially if they built a connection to Kiweki Point. They should also build a ramp from Bruyere to the National Gallery loading dock so deliveries don't have to use the Drive. Awesome views of the river, it almost gives me vibes of walking along the Dufferin Terrace in Quebec City. Such untapped potential.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 12:12 AM

I actually saw two white crates installed next to the Ottawa School of Art on George Street tonight with the Stackt logo (location on street view here). I'm assuming more crates will be added, seems that way. I guess they're going to be right in the market?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
I actually saw two white crates installed next to the Ottawa School of Art on George Street tonight with the Stackt logo (location on street view here). I'm assuming more crates will be added, seems that way. I guess they're going to be right in the market?
Thats not a really big space for it.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 2:43 AM

We walked around the market tonight after the rain ended and I saw those 2 containers as well, which reminded me of that story the other day. I didn’t see anything else though and no info on them. Maybe I’ll investigate closer when I go for a walk in the morning

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 2:08 PM

That space is so small and is usually filled with vendors and a pretty lively as it stands, putting in containers there is not the best use of space IMO.

Stackt Markets are supposed to be destinations in themselves, not simply invade an otherwise already busy and lively location. In Toronto, its a little bit isolated on the edge of downtown and the train tracks to the south.
I think it should be a separate destination in Ottawa, not in the Byward Market.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 4:30 PM

So they will try to squeeze it into the Market, and not even on York Street? What a waste.

Lebreton, Bayview, Zibi, all would've been great. But the best place IMO would've been on the parking lot at Kent & Queen. Any news from "Downtown Revitalization Task Force" beyond PR and reports BTW?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
We walked around the market tonight after the rain ended and I saw those 2 containers as well, which reminded me of that story the other day. I didn’t see anything else though and no info on them. Maybe I’ll investigate closer when I go for a walk in the morning
If those two containers are it. That's not even in the same universe as the photos linked above. I guess not too suprising if so but a dissapointment. A few retail cubes is far from a destination.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Didn't we have a container village on York in 2017?
Yes. It was called the "Inspiration Village". It took over the parking spots on York. Ottawa 2017 was an amazing year full of really cool events and initiatives however, Inspiration Village, and somewhat ironically Canada Day itself, we're the duds of the year.

https://smartcdn.gprod.postmedia.dig...n_CeOrnTBm17GA

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 6:01 PM

Quote:
So they will try to squeeze it into the Market, and not even on York Street? What a waste.

Lebreton, Bayview, Zibi, all would've been great. But the best place IMO would've been on the parking lot at Kent & Queen. Any news from "Downtown Revitalization Task Force" beyond PR and reports BTW?

Hadn't thought of that lot yet! Surely this one had to be redeveloped soon, it's the last really large central plot of land downtown. Who owns it? Clearly it has much more earning potential than the current surface parking lot it is today.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Hadn't thought of that lot yet! Surely this one had to be redeveloped soon, it's the last really large central plot of land downtown. Who owns it? Clearly it has much more earning potential than the current surface parking lot it is today.
Same owners as Place de Ville. Campeau had a proposal for an even taller building in the 80s, but then we had an economic downturn and he went bankrupt. Brookfield had a proposal for 16 and 18 storey office towers in the 2000s.

It was bought by Crown Realty of Toronto in 2021.They seem to own a lot of B and C Class space. PdV seems to be their biggest/most valuable property. Not getting my hopes up that they will redevelop the parking lot or improve PdV.

https://www.crownrealtypartners.com/...lace-de-ville/

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Should have been redeveloped as the new central library ....

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 10:44 PM

lol
"one vendor a time in a single shipping container"
This defeats the purpose, guys. What are you doing? You can't "stack" a single container

Quote:
Stackt told Daily Hive that “each location will host one vendor at a time in a single shipping container” and plans to feature 11 vendors in the first 18 months.

While details for Calgary and Vancouver have not been announced, Stackt said the Ottawa pop-up will be located in ByWard Market, and the first pop-up there will be The Gift Shop 3.0.
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/stacktx

Last edited by zzptichka; Jun 8, 2024 at 5:15 AM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 2:34 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
lol
This defeats the purpose, guys. What are you doing?

Lame....but also unfortunately SO Ottawa! Did anyone actually expect anything more?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movebyleap View Post
Lame....but also unfortunately SO Ottawa! Did anyone actually expect anything more?
Or so…Vancouver and Calgary?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 7:48 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Should have been redeveloped as the new central library ....
I don't agree. This site has no prominence. Current location allows that design to show itself off and is hardly out of the way.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 9:39 PM

Quote:
lol
This defeats the purpose, guys. What are you doing? You can't "stack" a single container

The Stackt in Liberty Village in Toronto is single floor as well for shopping but they have containers stacked 2 and 3 high, painted with murals and providing coverage over some of the ground level areas and pathways for utilities to run. If I had to guess, there are at least 50 ground containers there with many more stacked on top. To be honest, the 2 stacked that they have now in Byward Market seem to go with the neighbourhood, with other street vendors right there. Speaking from the touristy perspective, I think a full Toronto-like market would go good in Byward if there was a space for it, but I don't think there really is a spot for a full size market. It's not the type of place I would travel to, but since I was staying right beside the Rideau Centre (daughter's convocation at Shaw Centre Friday night so we spent Thursday and Friday night there), the market was an easy place to visit. I certainly wouldn't have taken the time to go over to Lebreton just for a Toronto-type Stackt, for sure.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 9:37 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

I came across this little video on Reddit and immediately thought of the Byward.

What the f**k is wrong with us as people here?

NA carbrains.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Seattle/com...beyond_absurd/

Last edited by rocketphish; Jun 9, 2024 at 2:07 PM. Reason: Edited-out the profanity

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
I came across this little video on Reddit and immediately thought of the Byward.

What the f**k is wrong with us as people here?

NA carbrains.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Seattle/com...beyond_absurd/
That's very bad. I'd argue worse than the Ottawa situation. For sure, we need to close down a few streets, at the very least ByWard and William on each side of the Market Building, permanently (not just summers). That could be done with $0 investment.

Last edited by rocketphish; Jun 9, 2024 at 2:08 PM. Reason: Edited-out the profanity in the quoted post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues