HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 4:16 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

shame we could not use festival as a means to launch the return

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 4:18 PM
BANNED

Well then, screw the Olympics; I'm dying to hear this announcement!!!!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 5:48 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
Well then, screw the Olympics; I'm dying to hear this announcement!!!!
haha yea.. I WAS really looking forward to the olympics but now all I can do is think about this. It seems like the most specific rumor we have had in years, no more "well maybe soon" or "in a couple years this could happen". We have a fairly specific date for a real announcement!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 9:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alva360 View Post
OK, here’s the rumor: Wealthy David Thomson of Toronto, the man who most of the shares of the MTS Centre and True North Sports and Entertainment in Winnipeg, has purchased the Atlanta Thrashers of the National Hockey League and will move them to Winnipeg for the 2010-11 season. The Moose will move to Saskatoon. The announcement will be made right after the Olympics. Believe whatever it is you want to believe.

Two weeks to go until we find truth to this juicy rumor!!!!!

Imagine if this were true. I'm sure we would sellout every game for the 2010-11 season.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 9:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
That same rumour has been circulating for months. This is news to Snott Taylor? It's only news now because he just read it somewhere else is all.
You spelled his name wrong. it's Scott Taylor....

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 9:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
There are many examples of Canadian Junior Hockey overlapping professional hockey.
Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal have all had both a junior team and a pro team at the same time at one time or another. Infact the Flames currently own the Hitman and are very happy to share the Saddledome as a revenue generator.
I was referring to the AHL, exclusively.

Quote:
I really don't think there is much hope or interest in a WHL team in Winnipeg. I am not saying it only because Winnipeg has an AHL team, but I just don't think there is enough fan interest in watching a junior team. Perhaps if there was a 5000 seat arena in southern Winnipeg (ie: UofM) it would be slightly possible, but I wouldn't hold much hope. People in Winnipeg are really only interested in pro and international hockey imo.

You would be surprised at how much interest there is in Junior hockey in Winnipeg. For instance, the World Junior championships were a smashing success when they were hosted here. Also, at the old barn, the WHL Wheat Kings drew upwards of 7,000 people a game, and they are not even in Winnipeg. I think a WHL franchise in Winnipeg would be a big success.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 6:15 AM
visionary

here we go again, I have been a big supporter of the return of the Jets and Jetsowner, but I still wonder about the corporate support in this city and never mind just buying a ticket to a game which will cost like $60 just per person. And I don't think they will have these huge ticket giveaway like they always have in phoenix and florida? But I will subscribe to the cable package.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 6:22 AM

I understand that corporate support for the Meese is astounding and that the subscription rates to corporate boxes are surprisingly expensive. I also understand there is a list to get a Meese box.

That sounds like it would translate quite well to an NHL team.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 6:31 AM
visionary

Quote:
I understand that corporate support for the Meese is astounding and that the subscription rates to corporate boxes are surprisingly expensive. I also understand there is a list to get a Meese box.

it would be interesting to see how how much the moose charge for corporate suites in comparison to the avg NHL rate? But I am sure Thomson and Chipman have solid or else they wouldn't still be fishing for an NHL franchise. But still I wonder?

Once we get a team, there was talk of expanding some seating to about 600 seats and add a few more private suites and add some more media press boxes.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 8:12 AM

Quote:

I understand that meese is the plural of moose? lol

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 8:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:

You are correct, sir.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 11:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
here we go again, I have been a big supporter of the return of the Jets and Jetsowner, but I still wonder about the corporate support in this city and never mind just buying a ticket to a game which will cost like $60 just per person. And I don't think they will have these huge ticket giveaway like they always have in phoenix and florida? But I will subscribe to the cable package.
I highly doubt that the richest man in Canada (24th richest in the world) would be so incompetent as to not have done his homework in making sure that Winnipeg is a feasible market before buying a team and moving it to the city. I tend to think that Winnipeg is highly underrated as an NHL market, and that some people's usual stereotypes of Winnipeg being a "poor, isolated, frozen wasteland" of a city get the best of them. I have confidence this will work, and have confidence in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 6:28 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
it would be interesting to see how how much the moose charge for corporate suites in comparison to the avg NHL rate?
go back a few pages...this was answered.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 6:33 AM
BANNED

First, it was Atlanta to Winnipeg. Now, could it also be Phoenix to Kansas City???

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Peter...OURS/119/26296

Some pretty big relocations possibly in the works here!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 7:34 AM

dunno how relevant this could be, but i have heard from a friend of a friend that supplies moose merchandise that it has all been halted/discontinued... and a bet that the name will be jets again..

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 9:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
dunno how relevant this could be, but i have heard from a friend of a friend that supplies moose merchandise that it has all been halted/discontinued... and a bet that the name will be jets again..
then it must be true!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Personally, I'd really like the name to be the Jets. I wonder how quickly Winnipeggers would embrace another name? Would be fun to watch that evolve. Winnipeg truly does have an emotional investment in the Jets...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 2:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Personally, I'd really like the name to be the Jets. I wonder how quickly Winnipeggers would embrace another name? Would be fun to watch that evolve. Winnipeg truly does have an emotional investment in the Jets...
I'm sure the name would revert back to the Winnipeg Jets. I just cannot picture an NHL team in Winnipeg with another name!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 3:17 PM
BANNED

Personally, I am hoping for a new name. The Jets are the past; over and done with. And people are always saying don't live in the past and I agree. This will be a new team; this will be a fresh new start. The Jets will always be a part of Winnipeg, but only in our past.

Here is to the new Winnipeg *insert new hockey team name here*!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I'm sure the name would revert back to the Winnipeg Jets. I just cannot picture an NHL team in Winnipeg with another name!
I would imagine the new team owners (assuming this stuff is the least bit true) wouldn't want people to be able to just go into their closets and get their old Jets jerseys and hats. They'd want them to go out and buy all new jerseys and other merchandise, which I think would require a new team name.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan