HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop culture View Post
There seems to be some activity on the west side of the Pancheri / I-15 overpass - down at the interstate level/underneath. Whether it's simply repair work, or part of the forthcoming replacement, I don't know. ( I have no idea when the latter was scheduled to start, other than thinking is was still somewhat "down the road". )
The Pancheri Overpass was "originally" scheduled for replacement this year, however funding for that project was redirected towards other projects thus pushing the date for reconstruction to 2011. With the reconstruction, the city will expand Pancheri to 4 lanes plus a turn lane with bike lanes from Yellowstone to Bellin Road. If there was anything that I would suggest to ITD would be to install on ramps and off ramps. It isn't planned but I would believe it would help traffic flow in the area. Oh, and it would also be nice to put up some lights on the stretch of I-15 that runs from Exit 113 to Exit 119, too bad I'm not an ITD planner though.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 3:33 AM
Honored Member

Talking Sounds Good to Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy View Post
The Pancheri Overpass was "originally" scheduled for replacement this year, however funding for that project was redirected towards other projects thus pushing the date for reconstruction to 2011. With the reconstruction, the city will expand Pancheri to 4 lanes plus a turn lane with bike lanes from Yellowstone to Bellin Road. If there was anything that I would suggest to ITD would be to install on ramps and off ramps. It isn't planned but I would believe it would help traffic flow in the area. Oh, and it would also be nice to put up some lights on the stretch of I-15 that runs from Exit 113 to Exit 119, too bad I'm not an ITD planner though.
Too bad, IFGuy, that you aren't on the ITD. Want us to nominate you?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 3:36 AM
Honored Member

Lightbulb Thanks for the Info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
Stevens Henager in Boise isn't along the river as far as I know, it is on Overland and I-84. There was nothing but a vacant lot when it was built.

by idahoairships
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1
Thanks Visualize. Maybe it's how S.H. places images on their home page that confused me. Or maybe someone told me they had wanted a River location, but I just couldn't imagine the $ that would take.

Really a nice building. Will look forward to the day when one is in Idaho Falls too.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 6:50 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
There is some great looking architecture in Idaho Falls as well. If you take the Broadway Exit off I-15, turn right and head across the railroad tracks, the churches and older houses are timeless. Someday I might get motivated to take some pics and post them. Downtown itself has some great looking buildings but until the north side cleans up, downtown will remain underused. It will only take one developer to get it going and then everyone else will want to jump in.

Snake River Landing is looking good as they are expected to break ground on the residential venture next spring as well as continuing with the build out of office and retail. The green space within the development is going to be what sets this development apart from anything in the region.

Taylor Crossing, says they are getting fianancing secured, but their properties are scheduled for auction unless they pay off their debts. I would really love to see this development done! The section of the greenbelt that runs through TC is going to look great so hopefully everything goes to plan and they can put the past behind them and continue building.

Sunnyside Crossroads seems to be doing rather well as they are moving on with the northside of their project. There is a Sleep Inn, shops are being built and a bank is planned for the property also. I would guess that the outlet mall portion is being put on hold until the "you know what" improves.

It's been a pretty silent year in Idaho Falls for the most part but I think that will pick up steam in the spring, the economy gets back up and Areva gets closer to build date. And you never know what else might happen around here, with the INL, Melaleuca, Quest, INL spinoffs, countless retail establishments, and now that Hitt Road construction is done that should boost development on the east side.
Yes, there is a lot of very elegant architecture in the downtown Idaho Falls area and the adjacent historic neighborhoods. I have several relatives who live in that area of town. I was just giving fascist Rexburg a little bit of credit for some of their historic architecture although they are small beans compared to the historic stock of buildings in Idaho Falls.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 2:14 AM
Honored Member

Lightbulb I Support the Decision of a Local Idaho Falls Businss to Close and Rebuild.

I know this is a forum about building and changes in the Mountain West. My comment though is a little different.

I have to support the owner of the Idaho Falls Sonic for making a tough decision two days ok. He didn't own the ground where the Idaho Falls location is at the corner of Pancheri and Yellowstone. When he was informed his rent had been increased, he closed his restaurant on Friday.

He owns almost 30 Sonic Drive Inn Restaurants in UT and ID, so all employees will be transitioned to other restaurants while he builds a new restaurant either in Idaho Falls or Rigby. I'd personally like to see a more westside location or a location closer to University Blvd and the university area.

The main point for me though, is I support him closing the restaurant instead of auotmatically paying what an investor in CA was demanding for the lease price. Those who lease property have a tendency to increase the prices every year, regardless of what has happened on the economic scene. Now, the land owner from CA will have his land to do what he wants with and perhaps he has a different tenant who wants that prime location, I don't know. It is good for me to see others saying "No" or "Enough" to landlords who constantly raise prices, regardless of what our bottom lines are.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 7:04 PM
Honored Member

Thumbs up I Like This Outcome......

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post
I know this is a forum about building and changes in the Mountain West. My comment though is a little different.

I have to support the owner of the Idaho Falls Sonic for making a tough decision two days ok. He didn't own the ground where the Idaho Falls location is at the corner of Pancheri and Yellowstone. When he was informed his rent had been increased, he closed his restaurant on Friday.

He owns almost 30 Sonic Drive Inn Restaurants in UT and ID, so all employees will be transitioned to other restaurants while he builds a new restaurant either in Idaho Falls or Rigby. I'd personally like to see a more westside location or a location closer to University Blvd and the university area.

The main point for me though, is I support him closing the restaurant instead of auotmatically paying what an investor in CA was demanding for the lease price. Those who lease property have a tendency to increase the prices every year, regardless of what has happened on the economic scene. Now, the land owner from CA will have his land to do what he wants with and perhaps he has a different tenant who wants that prime location, I don't know. It is good for me to see others saying "No" or "Enough" to landlords who constantly raise prices, regardless of what our bottom lines are.
I posted the above as I"m really tired of small business owners getting "screwed" by someone who wants to make more. This story has what I believe many consider a surprise ending.

From KIFI Channel 8:

"Print Text Size

"Closed Sonic Restaurant to Re-Open"

" " IDAHO FALLS - Just one week after announcing its abrupt closure, the Sonic Drive-In at 17th Street and Pancheri in Idaho Falls is announcing it will re-open on November 6."

"After its sudden closure on October 23, owner, Dave Hall tells Local News 8 he met with the California-based landowner on Monday to finalize the exchange of property."

"Hall says the owner realized he made a mistake in raising the rent, and agreed to lower the rent fee."

The rest of the story is at this link:

www.localnews8.com/global/story.asp?s=11420637

I'm posting this story not because I need Sonic for every meal or even once a week. It's about the principles involved.

An out-of-state automatically raises prices without reviewing with his tenant what the tenant can pay and make a profit, after paying his expenses, including employee wages. This owner said NO DEAL! He'd build a restaurant elsewhere. Makes you wonder what more of the out-of-state owners and hands off owners would do if more people said "NO" to lease prices raising? After all, did the property owner improve the land or did Mr. Hall, who owns Sonic? Which one of the two is adding to the community and the overall value of the adjacenet, commercial land?

It's not hard for me to understand how Mr. Hall felt! And why he'd had enough of rising prices, especially when the owner hasn't exactly located any other businesses near him. Asking for more money when adjacent land is empty?

To his credit, it sounds like the CA land owner got his head out of the sand and started to think how much revenue he would be losing monthly as he had to recuit a new business to utilize the previously built building.

I was happy to read the landlord LOWERED the rest and Mr. Hall will re-open again for busines on Nov. 6th.

Sometimes, the actions of one person can encourage/inspire others to do the right thing as well.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 7:47 PM
Honored Member

Question Idaho Falls City Elections: Will Building Be Changed Depending on Who Wins?

Just curious what everyone thinks. Two councilwoman, who I think are strong candidates, are being aggressively challenged by others.

One common point of either contention or smart city growth, depending if one is a seated city council member or a contender. The purchase of the Farr's Building from Kevin Call for the amount listed seems to be an issue that has made people take sides for the two councilwomen running for re-election.

If the opponents unseat the current councilwomen, do you look for much change as far as building is concerned? It seems to me both of these councilwomen are concerned about City Infrastructure such as having a large enough Buildings for the Police and Fire Depts. Yet, opponent Alex Creek, in particular, talks about the slush funds stored away for various projects in the future.

I'm interesting in your views and any inside info you may have? Which council members do you think are most devoted to seeing the Greenbelt expand, alterting Memorial Dr. appropriately and creating a better downtown and neighborhoods all around town? Whidh city council woman (or women) do you think are most pro- development etc.?

Hoping that the best individuals for their respective seats win tomorrow night.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 5:33 AM

Activity at Ryder Park

It seems that there is at least some dirt moving in the Idaho Falls area ( many have already noticed this, as it is along a highly visible drive at Sunnyside and the southwest bank of the Snake River )

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 5:15 PM

Quote:
It seems that there is at least some dirt moving in the Idaho Falls area ( many have already noticed this, as it is along a highly visible drive at Sunnyside and the southwest bank of the Snake River )
Ah yes, that is phase one of Ryder Park. It is to be a huge regional park on the banks of the Snake. There are plans for two fishing ponds, trails, picnic areas, camp sites, restrooms, trees of course, and shelters. This should help to increase the desirability for the Sunnyside Road area and hopefully will catch developers attention.

Also I have recently noticed a trend around town that may be signaling a positive for the local economy. There are quite a few small to medium commercial and retail vacancies filling up or building from the ground up. It seems like a lot of small businesses but a lot of small businesses can add up to big job growth numbers. Whatever it takes to get the unemployment level to drop and get the ball rolling again.

So I hear a Famous Daves is coming to Idaho Falls, I may have to go try this highly touted eatery once it opens. I'm sure their ribs won't be as good as mine but it's worth a shot.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 2:11 AM
Honored Member

Question Where?

Quote:
Ah yes, that is phase one of Ryder Park. It is to be a huge regional park on the banks of the Snake. There are plans for two fishing ponds, trails, picnic areas, camp sites, restrooms, trees of course, and shelters. This should help to increase the desirability for the Sunnyside Road area and hopefully will catch developers attention.

Also I have recently noticed a trend around town that may be signaling a positive for the local economy. There are quite a few small to medium commercial and retail vacancies filling up or building from the ground up. It seems like a lot of small businesses but a lot of small businesses can add up to big job growth numbers. Whatever it takes to get the unemployment level to drop and get the ball rolling again.

So I hear a Famous Daves is coming to Idaho Falls, I may have to go try this highly touted eatery once it opens. I'm sure their ribs won't be as good as mine but it's worth a shot.
Where will Famous Dave's be at I.F. Guy? They are always busy. Good, I'm glad to see some of the projects people knew were coming finally start to happen.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 3:22 AM
Honored Member

Question Where?

Double post. Sorry.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 3:34 AM
Honored Member

Thumbs up FINALLY IT IS OFFICIAL: EIRMC adding 24K Addition for NICU & Women's Care

I've known about this project for over 18 months. It seems like all re-designs and needs have finally gotten addressed for Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center to announce they will add a new 24,000 sq. ft. wing. It will have new NICU beds (many more), and new Women's Care too. This is a greatly needed addition not only to EIRMC and Idaho Falls, but all of Eastern Idaho, South MT and Western WY.

There was suppose to be a unit added for high risk moms who need hospitalization prior to delivery too, along with an area for babies who aren't as critically ill as before, but still need to get bigger and healthier before they can go home.

This is great news for the building industry (and associated contractors/workers), EIRMC, Idaho Falls, the medical professionals in the service area, but mostly for the parents (especially high risk moms) and the babies, to be at or much closer to home!

EIRMC is the only Level III NICU in Idaho outside of Boise. In reality, babies needing level III care usually are referred to Primary Children's Medical Center in SLC. This addition is huge for many, many reasons!

http://www.localnews8.com/global/sto...Type=Printable

Perhaps as more is announced we can post more. I suspect this is a first step of more services we'll see announced at EIRMC (don't know that FOR FACT), only know trends of HCA and the needs the Perinatologists/NICU, OB/Pediatrician doctors want added at EIRMC.

Congrats to all involved who so carefully designed this new addition to serve so many babies and their familes.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 4:19 AM
Honored Member

Wink Single Story Addition at EIRMC

Here is a little more info about the EIRMC/NICU addition:

$20 Million, single story addition that will be open the first part of 2011.

http://www.kidk.com/internal?st=prin...th=/news/local

While these news reports have not captured this detail, I know the neonatologists were wanting individual rooms for each NICU Isolette. That would allow parents to stay with their babies more hrs./day. That is great news for families of these babies!

I suppose we'll hear more about his addition before the plans for the High Risk OB patients are discused. That's fine....they need room for the babies so they can have the small High Risk Moms unit. So many more NICU beds, but remember, Rexburg drains all of their babies needing care here and Pocatello does too (much as the hospital administrator and some doctors hate that fact). I won't be surprised if some of that space is shelled in so additional Isolettes can be added quickly.

One can speculate why EIRMC is building out and not up at this time. I think this is Phase I of a bigger project, but strictly a hunch on my part, I don't work for HCA or anyone working on this new unit. That means a new parking lot will be required and maybe some other things too. I think some things are going to get much better in Idaho Falls for children who are sick and their families!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 4:27 AM
Honored Member

Lightbulb KPVI adds a bit more about the EIRMC NICU Expansion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post
Here is a little more info about the EIRMC/NICU addition:

$20 Million, single story addition that will be open the first part of 2011.

http://www.kidk.com/internal?st=prin...th=/news/local

While these news reports have not captured this detail, I know the neonatologists were wanting individual rooms for each NICU Isolette. That would allow parents to stay with their babies more hrs./day. That is great news for families of these babies!

I suppose we'll hear more about his addition before the plans for the High Risk OB patients are discused. That's fine....they need room for the babies so they can have the small High Risk Moms unit. So many more NICU beds, but remember, Rexburg drains all of their babies needing care here and Pocatello does too (much as the hospital administrator and some doctors hate that fact). I won't be surprised if some of that space is shelled in so additional Isolettes can be added quickly.

One can speculate why EIRMC is building out and not up at this time. I think this is Phase I of a bigger project, but strictly a hunch on my part, I don't work for HCA or anyone working on this new unit. That means a new parking lot will be required and maybe some other things too. I think some things are going to get much better in Idaho Falls for children who are sick and their families!
It's funny as Channel 8 Broke the news and each station that has added a portion about the $20 Million Expansion at EIRMC tells a little bit more of the plans: http://www.kpvi.com/global/story.asp...Type=Printable

Good things will start to happen again in eastern ID. A lot of people have waited on this project to start....we'll see what follows.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 6:35 AM
Honored Member

Talking INL - $ 5 Million for Battery Research Buildling

INL longlife battery work is becoming better known throughout the U.S. There are several articles about this today, the most detailed in the Post Register, which requires a subscription.

The High Energy Battery Test Facility will be a 10,000 sq. ft. lab. This will be in addition to the 7,000 sq. ft. lab already at INL. This new addition will more than double the current lab, a leader in the world in this research, as it continues it work for better energy answers.

This is good for INL (another mission, more diversification), good for eastern Idaho and good for all who use new technology for themselves.

www.localnews8.com/Global/story.asp?S=11565449

http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...e-funding-for-

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 6:08 PM

It seems to me there has been a bunch of good news lately, possibly the recession is in the rearview or close to it.

I don't know what the deal is with restaurants in this town but a Panda Express will be built by the Wal Mart in Ammon. Not a fan of Chinese food but I am a fan of job growth and low unemployment rates. Not the best paying jobs I'm sure but it all helps out.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 10:13 AM
Honored Member

Agree, Growth Cautiously Starting Again

With the recent article in the Post Register, which confirmed the Famous Dave's Restaurant (and interesting restaurant IMHO), I think some businesses are cautiously starting projects.

However, with what TCOR is experiencing, I think many are holding off a little longer or progressing at a slower speed.

Have you noticed what tenants are coming into SRL? Interesting as so many could be companies that grow in $ and peronnel.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 8:08 PM

West Broadway - Albertsons

There's been a minor wind circulating about a "Broulims", possibly replacing the "Albertson's" on West Broadway. If that ends up being the case, will Albertson's relocate on west side?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
There's been a minor wind circulating about a "Broulims", possibly replacing the "Albertson's" on West Broadway. If that ends up being the case, will Albertson's relocate on west side?
After Supervalu (Albertsons) sold all of it's Utah stores... rumors began circulating like mad. I have heard that all of Idaho is up for sale and why wouldn't it be? Idaho's major cities are flooded with Wincos, Walmarts, Fred Meyers, ect and if Supervalu doesn't feel it is getting it's fair market share...they sell or shut down stores. Stores not only need to make money but also grow those sales year in and year out.

I have heard the Broulims rumor, Associated rumor, Ridleys, and have even heard rumors of Winco opening a store on the west side. A Broulims at Albertsons would make sense for that company. The growth potential is astounding due to surrounding developments and also Areva and who knows what else in the near future.

It is too bad about Albertsons though...ol' Joe is probably spinning in his grave.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
After Supervalu (Albertsons) sold all of it's Utah stores... rumors began circulating like mad. I have heard that all of Idaho is up for sale and why wouldn't it be? Idaho's major cities are flooded with Wincos, Walmarts, Fred Meyers, ect and if Supervalu doesn't feel it is getting it's fair market share...they sell or shut down stores. Stores not only need to make money but also grow those sales year in and year out.

I have heard the Broulims rumor, Associated rumor, Ridleys, and have even heard rumors of Winco opening a store on the west side. A Broulims at Albertsons would make sense for that company. The growth potential is astounding due to surrounding developments and also Areva and who knows what else in the near future.

It is too bad about Albertsons though...ol' Joe is probably spinning in his grave.
Maybe Idaho minus the Boise market--I have not heard that rumor--there are 10 in Boise city limits and a total of 25 in the Boise metro area--they are the major grocer in the Treasure Valley with a much larger presence than Fredy's, Walmart, and even Winco. Supervalu just reported a profit. http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...quarter-profit
If the Albertsons in Boise became Ridleys or Broulims that would be disappointing. Ridleys used to have a store near downtown Boise and they closed it because they had slow business because of the nearby Albertsons and gourmet grocer Boise Co-Op. Albertsons still has a corporate headquarters in Boise and I feel Albertsons still has just as much a presence in the Boise area, including sponsorships, community involvement, etc as they did before Supervalu bought them out.

Last edited by Cottonwood; Jan 13, 2010 at 11:44 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West