HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 12:50 PM

https://angusreid.org/manitoba-elect...her-stefanson/

Manitoba Election: Kinew and NDP hold six-point advantage at midway mark of campaign

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 1:17 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Pierre was also adopted as a toddler, unlike the current PM a who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth!
Not sure I understand this point.

Just because one is adopted and the other is not has no impact on how spoiled or fortunate the child will be. Lots of adopted children are raised with silver spoons. Strange take.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Over 20 years ago now. How long, in your mind, is a person supposed to keep paying for the mistakes of their youth when they've clearly changed for the better? Forever? If people are going to be spend their entire lives being punished for things they did decades ago then what incentive is there for anyone to bother trying to change and do better?

Wab's mistakes were those of a young man who didn't yet know what to with his anger. Acting like he's some hardened violent criminal because of a DUI and throwing a few drunken punches decades ago is wild, I literally know multiple white dudes who have had a DUI and a bar fight or two in their past who now have successful corporate careers, y'all are blowing something out of proportion for partisan reasons and I have zero doubt you'd look the other way if it was some white farm boy running for the PCs who got in some bar brawls when he was younger. "Boys being boys" and all that.

I would rather have a person who made some mistakes 20+ years ago, looked in the mirror and decided to do better, than someone who looks perfect and squeaky-clean, because the latter is just someone who is good at hiding things. Nobody is perfect, it's best to see the flaws up front and know what you're dealing with because the ones who appear perfect at first glance are usually much worse under the surface.
That's quite the leap of logic; someone who is squeaky-clean is better at hiding things. Perhaps they have nothing to hide and they haven't make "a few mistakes". I would not call assaulting a cab driver, theft, allegedly assaulting one's domestic partner, DUI as a few mistakes or flaws up front. And very telling, like Wab, you are using the race card to deflect. The fact Wab was on a court recognizance for his DUI charge at the time when he assaulted the cab driver speaks volumes. And let's not forget his misogynistic and homophobic lyrics from his music career. days. Wab Kinew is no Jody Wilson-Raybould.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 2:23 PM

I have actually found Wab way more likeable and friendly in this campaign compared to Stefanson who's so stiff and robotic.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 6:08 PM

Surprised no-one has commented on this yet:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...mber-1.6972353

While this poll makes it look a little more promising for and NDP victory, I'm not counting chickens (or votes) just yet. So many variables and so much time left in the election.

What I found interesting is the results of this poll seem to reflect the general feelings in the forum. In general, people leaning towards the NDP priority of healthcare, as opposed to the PC priority of tax cuts. Neither leader inspiring many people, but a deal dislike (except for the true believers) of Stephenson. A willingness to consider not voting. It's almost like Angus Reid just looked at our forum for opinions.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
And very telling, like Wab, you are using the race card to deflect.
Using the phrase "playing the race card" is itself an attempt to deflect, some folks seem to just reflexively throw that out there ANY time race gets brought up.

Racial prejudice is still very much a thing no matter how bad you want to pretend it isn't.

Wab's dad was a residential school survivor. He was abducted as a child, separated from his family and community and raised by an institution. His first child was born while he was in the school and was taken from him. So he grew up angry and he drank. He passed those things down to Wab. If you wanna dumb all that down to "he's a criminal" then I don't know what to tell you. Being totally ignorant of history and context doesn't really lead to good decision-making.

Most people in jail end up spiraling downward to oblivion. Ultimately Wab looked in the mirror and decided to do better. That takes a lot of strength and character. 95% of PC candidates have spent their whole life in comfort, it doesn't take a lot of strength or character to succeed when you have nothing to overcome.

Last edited by EdwardTH; Sep 20, 2023 at 6:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 8:32 PM
surely you agree with me

I really don't understand why anyone is voting Liberal....What are you voting for exactly?

NDP have to vote Liberal in Federal Elections to keep the Conservative clowns out of office....Provincial Liberals need to do the same.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 8:33 PM
surely you agree with me

I wonder how that voter intention poll breaks down in seats.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 8:34 PM

It looks like Liberals will be reduced to 1 seat again just winning river heights. I really don't understand the purpose of the party provincially at this point ?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 8:53 PM

Quote:
That's quite the leap of logic; someone who is squeaky-clean is better at hiding things. Perhaps they have nothing to hide and they haven't make "a few mistakes". I would not call assaulting a cab driver, theft, allegedly assaulting one's domestic partner, DUI as a few mistakes or flaws up front. And very telling, like Wab, you are using the race card to deflect. The fact Wab was on a court recognizance for his DUI charge at the time when he assaulted the cab driver speaks volumes. And let's not forget his misogynistic and homophobic lyrics from his music career. days. Wab Kinew is no Jody Wilson-Raybould.
Glad someone is saying it. If this is where the bar is being set, that’s a pretty low bar. If he gets in we deserve the government we get.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I really don't understand why anyone is voting Liberal....What are you voting for exactly?

NDP have to vote Liberal in Federal Elections to keep the Conservative clowns out of office....Provincial Liberals need to do the same.
So you call the PC’s clowns?? What do you call a party led by Kinew? So you align with a guy that assaults cabbie’s and women. Raps about women in a derogatory way. What else do you endorse? But the PC’s are clowns. Got it.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 9:00 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&M40BELOW View Post
Glad someone is saying it. If this is where the bar is being set, that’s a pretty low bar. If he gets in we deserve the government we get.
What does this really mean tho?

What will we get with Kinew that "we deserve" - rampant increases in DUIs and domestic abuse cases "because Premier"..?

How do you think his past will reflect on how he would govern now?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 9:04 PM
surely you agree with me

^ I stand by my characterization.....this party is made up of clowns.

I don't vote for the leader, I vote for the party, but if we are comparing leaders, I'd rather have someone who has pulled themselves through disadvantage to find success than a rich lady who prioritizes policies for the wealthy. The challenges I see for Manitoba, more specifically Winnipeg require someone with empathy and understanding.....The pandemic has caused an explosion in drug addiction, homelessness , poverty and core housing need...people are literally living in encampments on the river and in bus shelters....this has caused an increase in crime and urban decay. buildings are literally burning down around us.

The Conservatives have done sweet f*ck all about it....if anything they have exacerbated it.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 10:26 PM

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 1:40 AM

Quote:

Scott Moe killed someone in Saskatchewan and he's fully forgiven by Conservatives.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
It looks like Liberals will be reduced to 1 seat again just winning river heights. I really don't understand the purpose of the party provincially at this point ?
I see your point, but I would much prefer to have multiple parties. If we ever get a minority government with a supporting agreement from the Liberals, the first thing they should absolutely push for is ranked choice voting and possibly proportional representation. I think this would net them a couple seats each election.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
Scott Moe killed someone in Saskatchewan and he's fully forgiven by Conservatives.
To be fair, he did get a traffic ticket for the incident....

....but, yes, outrage tends to be selective.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
Yep, just a few years after he was charged with DUI and fleeing the scene.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/par...77592bd9c.html

Weird how this stuff apparently makes Wab unfit for office but not Moe......

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Yep, just a few years after he was charged with DUI and fleeing the scene.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/par...77592bd9c.html

Weird how this stuff apparently makes Wab unfit for office but not Moe......
What could possibly be the difference between the two of them that make leads right wingers to forgive one and not the other? It's a total mystery.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Using the phrase "playing the race card" is itself an attempt to deflect, some folks seem to just reflexively throw that out there ANY time race gets brought up.

Racial prejudice is still very much a thing no matter how bad you want to pretend it isn't.

Wab's dad was a residential school survivor. He was abducted as a child, separated from his family and community and raised by an institution. His first child was born while he was in the school and was taken from him. So he grew up angry and he drank. He passed those things down to Wab. If you wanna dumb all that down to "he's a criminal" then I don't know what to tell you. Being totally ignorant of history and context doesn't really lead to good decision-making.

Most people in jail end up spiraling downward to oblivion. Ultimately Wab looked in the mirror and decided to do better. That takes a lot of strength and character. 95% of PC candidates have spent their whole life in comfort, it doesn't take a lot of strength or character to succeed when you have nothing to overcome.
Could you provide more details about where this "95% of PC candidates have spent their whole life in comfort"? Have you interviewed all candidates or throughly assessed their backgrounds? Which 5% do not come from comfort?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan