HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 8:25 PM
Honored Member

I think you are thinking of the PATH. It's a seperate system from the NYC subway. It was moved to the bottom of the bathtub when the origonal WTC was built.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Dec 5, 2010 at 8:43 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 6:26 AM

Can someone tell me what that building (or whatever it is) under construction accross the path station/7 wtc is?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 12:03 PM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSL View Post
Can someone tell me what that building (or whatever it is) under construction accross the path station/7 wtc is?
Your probably thinking of Fiterman Hall

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 3:13 PM
Ω

Is there any projection on the annual budget of running these fountains? They seem quite expensive to run/maintain.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 4:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioFX View Post
Wow thanks zen, so the subway box is being elevated and there will be the basement/shopping malls underneath. Interesting indeed.

My understanding is that the tracks where at bedrock level in the old WTC, right?
Yeah, you are thinking about the PATH, which originally was east of Greenwich. The original PATH terminal was relatively recently (within the past 4 years) dug up in preparation for Silverstein's 3 and 4 WTC. But the subway box (#1 line) is in active use, and is suspended much like the original PATH tubes were during the original WTC construction.

http://911research.wtc7.net/mirrors/...oundations.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...thtub_west.JPG

Larger View
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...thtub_west.JPG

An image comparing original PATH track tubes/terminal location to the relocated WTC version...

http://world.nycsubway.org/perl/show?21823

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 11:46 PM
Euroscraper

Thanks NYg, I just remember seeing that pics of the elevated PATH tracks.

Fascinating stuff indeed, I think most of the people just don't consider how much huge work there is beneath the WTC. It really give you the scale of a megaproject like this.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 12:26 AM
Honored Member

The below grade area of the WTC is about equal to half the above grade area of the Pentagon. But the Petagon doesn't have trains running through it.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 1:09 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yeah, you are thinking about the PATH, which originally was east of Greenwich. The original PATH terminal was relatively recently (within the past 4 years) dug up in preparation for Silverstein's 3 and 4 WTC.
Yep, the old H&M terminal was actually the site of the (in)famous WTC Swiss gold vault, and the PANY "Dataport," an early IT hub. I don't recall what the dataport was really used for though...

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 4:29 AM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Is there any projection on the annual budget of running these fountains? They seem quite expensive to run/maintain.

I am not sure what the fountains will cost to maintain, but think about the whole picture. The WTC memorial is going to bring millions of tourists to downtown Manhattan, and therefore billions of dollars over time. You could say this is going to be one of the most profitable ventures the City of New York has ever undertaken, but that could seem fairly insensitive.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
I am not sure what the fountains will cost to maintain, but think about the whole picture. The WTC memorial is going to bring millions of tourists to downtown Manhattan, and therefore billions of dollars over time. You could say this is going to be one of the most profitable ventures the City of New York has ever undertaken, but that could seem fairly insensitive.
They just wont be able to talk to eachother over the sound of 200x200 water pits. =P

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 8:34 AM

Did they take advantage of the fact that the 1 tunnel was "naked" to make fixes or improvements?

If anyone wants a new extra track to store disabled trains, this looks like the best time to do that.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 11:54 AM
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamatzu View Post
They just wont be able to talk to eachother over the sound of 200x200 water pits. =P
This still worries me.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 2:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
If anyone wants a new extra track to store disabled trains, this looks like the best time to do that.
I think they are literally out of space for anything other than what's already planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioFX View Post
I think most of the people just don't consider how much huge work there is beneath the WTC. It really give you the scale of a megaproject like this.
Yeah, just look over this photo (from wtc.com)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 11:45 PM
Honored Member

Excellent ! <Said in his best Mr. Burns imitation>

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
Did they take advantage of the fact that the 1 tunnel was "naked" to make fixes or improvements?

Seeing as the subway box was repaired shortly after 9/11 and there isn't any extra space at the WTC the #1 box really doesn't need a whole lot. But, they are going to make the Courtlandt St. station a little bigger and give much of the box a new top.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 12:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 11:19 PM
Honored Member

Great night shot !

Well, they have placed that section of box girder and there are 2 more sections waiting to be installed.

In case someone needs the link to the non-framed highres earthcam.
http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzrobotic1.jpg

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 11:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Went by the site today, and it took a while for me to realize what I was looking at...

DECEMBER 10, 2010

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 11:53 PM

Oooh, those girders seem a bit reminiscent of the bird's nest Olympic stadium in Beijing.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 12:25 AM

can't wait to see the cladding on the museum entrance.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 12:59 AM
Honored Member

NYGuy, I have herd the white perimeter steel referred to as "The Crash" or the "Crushed Bird Cage" . I see what the architect is aiming for but he missed, in MHO.

At any rate, it is progress ! Great pics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture