HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 5:16 PM

That clarifies it for me. Thank you.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 5:51 PM

was by today and it looked like pilings(?) might be going into the location of office tower? At least there was some kind of huge "jackhammer" like machine pounding something into the ground....haha.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
was by today and it looked like pilings(?) might be going into the location of office tower? At least there was some kind of huge "jackhammer" like machine pounding something into the ground....haha.
Yesterday they were breaking up the old base for the red crane. Perhaps that is what you saw. They staked out the shoring wall last week and scraped the area clean as if in preparation to start, but lately they have just been using it for storage.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 9:28 PM

You are absolutely right....I went by again today and could see they were breaking up the concrete pad. Jumped ahead of myself....

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 1:54 AM

Sept. 29, 2017 pics

^^^^ Hauling in fill. So I guess its not practical or possible at this time to use material from the potential office tower excavation to fill the hole. It seems like an incredible amount of work to excavate all that extra material, haul most of it away, then haul it back, compact it, etc. But, obviously, it must be cheaper than installing a shoring wall.

Also, in a previous post I noted a column on the second floor of the hotel with no supporting column underneath (visible in the image below). In fact it appears from the above image that the entire east side of the hotel has a significant cantilever on the second floor.

^^^^ Applying insulation to the top few feet of the garage. You can see that the garage itself extends out quite a bit from the north side of the hotel. This is also the case on the east and south sides of the building.

^^^^ They installed some temporary stairs. I expect we'll see an external construction elevator at some point.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 12:40 AM

Ok my bad, they didn't pour 4 th floor Friday, just too much to still do so they are pouring Monday now

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 5:02 AM

How dare you feed us lies and misinformation Kiwi, you're fired. haha

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 2:04 AM

Ha yeah..... sooo.. be busy site Monday with next floor being poured... I wonder with the speed the concrete seems to be, if they will decide to build the other towers sooner at least I hope they will. You would think it would be a smart move

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 1:07 AM

Oct. 4 2017 Pics

^^^^ Fourth floor columns underway. I noticed they switched the center column on the south side from rectangular (3rd floor) to cylindrical (4th floor).
Still no activity re. the office tower excavation.

^^^^ Maybe its an optical illusion but it looks (to me) like the column they are pouring is not straight.

^^^^ From Rotary Park. Starting to have a presence on the river bank.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 1:37 AM

Really appreciate the photos. Thank you!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 3:41 AM

Ok some more news.. not the condo building but the hotel where the red crane is... so far.. for schedule.. they are to pour Wednesday night starting 12 midnight, an 850 meter slab for their next floor... super massive 4 ft deep beam runing through most of this floor and as well Noremac pumping has just got in a 61 meter pump to help this, rather than bringing in two pumps.. now I don't know what the biggest size pump is in sask right now but this could be it.. I believe the biggest in the world is round 90 something. I could be wrong. Anyways Noremac bought this from Alberta, so keep an eye out on that day for a pump that big.. I believe A and B pumping had a 55 meter so not too far off.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 7:34 AM

I wonder what changed about the office tower? Everything seemed to be going great they had said they got the presales they required to commit to building it, even going so far as to announce a tenant. perhaps a company backed out? Maybe they are negotiating a staging area with the city or another property owner nearby or perhaps its just that the infilling is and has been taking longer than expected?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 3:06 PM

Thanks for the pictures Alt, really like the view from Rotary park

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 1:15 AM

Oct. 6, 2017

^^^^ Some late day light. They are wasting no time moving on to the 5th floor. They started the first floor columns Aug. 25, and the 4th floor columns Oct. 3 or 4th. By my count that is about 40 days for 3 full floors, or roughly 13.5 days per floor. Of course the first floor is slightly different (e.g., taller columns for one thing), and they moved one crane and installed another during that time. I am curious what the pace will be over the winter months. At the current pace (not counting holidays etc.) it will top out in approx 16 * 13.5 = 216 days from now, which is somewhere in early May.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 6:25 PM

They are supposed to be done pouring the floors by mid/end of April. Will start bringing in the glass not long after that.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 12:21 AM

Oct. 12, 2017

^^^^ Today they started the hotel 3rd floor columns, and put tarps on the "top" floors.

^^^^ They removed most of the temporary supports on the condo first floor, and finally patched the cut column (leftmost first floor). Also today I noticed the first piping installed (visible against the first floor ceiling).

^^^^ Another view of the hotel 3rd floor columns, and the backfilling. Every time I go past (which is almost every day) I see multiple trucks arrive with fill. And yet the level just seems to change maybe 6 inches per day, if that.

Still no activity on the office tower excavation.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 9:33 PM

Oct. 13, 2017

Went past the site Friday on my way home from work. Fifth floor columns up. There were 5 cement trucks on site at 5:30 pm! I saw 4-5 dumptrucks dump fill in the 10 minutes I lingered (at that rate they may have been dumping 100 loads per day for the last number of days).

If that pace keeps up they will have the backfilling complete in the coming week. There are only a few feet left to go now.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 12:17 AM

https://youtu.be/t-JUOOrba-k

River Landing Construction Update.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 9:04 PM

Ran by the site just after lunch today and there is a lot of activity there....guess they are taking advantage of the excellent Fall weather for construction. Looked like a few guys were working on raising the scaffolding to the 5th level.

Seems to me someone on here had mentioned when they first started digging the hole for the condo/hotel that it is actually easier when the ground freezes?? Maybe they will delay the office tower dig until we have a good freeze?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 1:36 AM

Shoring will begin on the next tower soon and then digging will start. Looking for a spring start with the foundation after piling is done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan