HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'tit Renard View Post
Now we can see first hand the havoc wreaked by Sean Fraser's decision:…

https://x.com/BenRabidoux/status/1803414289715241249

It looks like his successor Marc Miller's promises are also all smoke and mirrors while the runaway train continues.
A complete picture of total Liberal incompetence. Look how that graph skyrockets post 2015.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Both these interventions are to keep Chinese EVs out and not have our auto industry (90% exports) fall behind. Sorry, not sorry, that the government simply didn't let Southern Ontario become a rustbelt.

The majority of the jobs go to Canadian workers. People are making a mountain out of a mole hill over some home country expertise those companies brought here. How many Canadians have experience building multi-billion dollar battery plants before this?
Structural steel is structural steel. Columns, beams, braces, trusses. It's the same in a battery plant as it is in a conventional auto plant.

We have a lot of experience fabricating structural steel.

Same applies for every other trade that isn't specific process machinery. Concrete. Cladding. Glazing. Roofing. Site prep. Electrical except maybe final hookups. Should all be done by Canadian workers and Canadian businesses.

Edit: did you read the link? The Stellantis plant in Windsor bought their steel from an American fabricator.

Last edited by jonny24; Jun 21, 2024 at 3:14 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Now we can see first hand the havoc wreaked by Sean Fraser's decision
If Trudeau resigns, I hope Sean Fraser takes the mantle, loses the election spectacularly and predictably, and is also forced to resign.

There are a bunch of Trudeau loyalists that I'd like to see exit Canadian federal politics permanently. Chrystia Freeland is one, but luckily she's electoral kryptonite, and the party brass will never let her get close to the leader's seat. Sean Fraser, however, has a whiff of electability to him, and does the LPC's ideological dirty work with a certain zeal. Marc Miller is an idiot. I'm not concerned about him sticking around.

If I were to make an analogy to the late-stage Harper government circa 2015, it would be:

Sean Fraser = Jason Kenney
Chrystia Freeland = John Baird
Marc Miller = Vic Toews

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
If Trudeau resigns, I hope Sean Fraser takes the mantle, loses the election spectacularly and predictably, and is also forced to resign.
Fraser is in deep trouble as it stands now, but imagine if Peter MacKay runs for the CPC nomination in Central Nova? It might be a blood bath.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 4:00 PM

Quote:

There are a bunch of Trudeau loyalists that I'd like to see exit Canadian federal politics permanently. Chrystia Freeland is one, but luckily she's electoral kryptonite, and the party brass will never let her get close to the leader's seat. Sean Fraser, however, has a whiff of electability to him, and does the LPC's ideological dirty work with a certain zeal. Marc Miller is an idiot. I'm not concerned about him sticking around.

If I were to make an analogy to the late-stage Harper government circa 2015, it would be:

Sean Fraser = Jason Kenney
Chrystia Freeland = John Baird
Marc Miller = Vic Toews
I think any comparisons are very tricky but Fraser has that Ottawa repuation for competence mixed with idealogical fervour that Kenney had. Was Baird that toxic? I can't even remember who Toews was. Or is that the point?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 4:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Fraser is in deep trouble as it stands now, but imagine if Peter MacKay runs for the CPC nomination in Central Nova? It might be a blood bath.
I think Peter MacKay is happily ensconced in the private sector, with a fat non governmental paycheck, invaluable privacy and a young family. Why would he come back to play second fiddle to PP???

Same thing with Rona Ambrose. Why would she come back? Can anyone blame her???

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I think Peter MacKay is happily ensconced in the private sector, with a fat non governmental paycheck, invaluable privacy and a young family. Why would he come back to play second fiddle to PP???
I may be projecting a bit because I generally like MacKay, I certainly wouldn't be angry to see him return.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
Structural steel is structural steel. Columns, beams, braces, trusses. It's the same in a battery plant as it is in a conventional auto plant.

We have a lot of experience fabricating structural steel.

Same applies for every other trade that isn't specific process machinery. Concrete. Cladding. Glazing. Roofing. Site prep. Electrical except maybe final hookups. Should all be done by Canadian workers and Canadian businesses.
If they brought in TFWs for work that could have been easily done by Canucks, I agree they should have been more prudent.

Quote:
Edit: did you read the link? The Stellantis plant in Windsor bought their steel from an American fabricator.
You get that trade agreements don't allow us to discriminate against American companies right?

Also, your link requires a sign-up, so I couldn't read it.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 4:32 PM

Quote:
If they brought in TFWs for work that could have been easily done by Canucks, I agree they should have been more prudent.

You get that trade agreements don't allow us to discriminate against American companies right?

Yes and aren't we in a suprlus on steel with the US? We are even included on their EV subsidy and mining development fund. Meanwhile we are tarriff free for Chinese EVs. I guess our hesitation there is the backlash we will get from China that the US has the power to avoid or ignore.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 4:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I may be projecting a bit because I generally like MacKay, I certainly wouldn't be angry to see him return.
I like Peter too, and, I think he would have made a fine moderate conservative PM.

Politics is a brutal life however, and, once a politician tastes the fruits of a post political career, it can be damned difficult to go back (unless you are truly committed to the betterment of the country, or a complete policy wonk and ideologue).

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Yes and aren't we in a suprlus on steel with the US? We are even included on their EV subsidy and mining development fund. Meanwhile we are tarriff free for Chinese EVs. I guess our hesitation there is the backlash we will get from China that the US has the power to avoid or ignore.
Interesting timing of this outage from a cybersecurity attack, given the US jacking up tariffs on Chinese EVs....

CDK's ongoing cyber outage hits car dealers in Canada, U.S. for 2nd day
Retail tech provider says it's working to reinstate its services
CBC News · Posted: Jun 20, 2024

A cyber outage at retail technology and software provider CDK entered its second consecutive day on Thursday, impacting automobile dealers in Canada and the U.S., the affected companies said on Thursday.

CDK briefly shut down all its systems on Wednesday, saying it was investigating a second breach that happened in the evening. CBC News reached out to the company for more information.

Spokesperson Lisa Finney said CDK would not be answering direct questions for the time being.

"In partnership with third-party experts, we are assessing the impact and providing regular updates to our customers," she said in a statement. "We remain vigilant in our efforts to reinstate our services and get our dealers back to business as usual as quickly as possible."

As of Thursday afternoon, "hundreds of dealers" across Canada had been impacted, according to Tim Reuss, president and CEO of the Canadian Automobile Dealers Association.

"At this point in time, there's no resolution timeline as of yet from CDK," said Reuss.

It remains unclear whether any customer or employee data was breached, he said.

The company provides software that is used to report all types of transactions made at the dealership, including the sale of a new or used vehicle, a service appointment or the sale of spare parts. Reuss described it as the "core piece" of a dealer's IT operations....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cdk...-u-s-1.7241465

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I like Peter too, and, I think he would have made a fine moderate conservative PM.

Politics is a brutal life however, and, once a politician tastes the fruits of a post political career, it can be damned difficult to go back (unless you are truly committed to the betterment of the country, or a complete policy wonk and ideologue).
I don't know power is addictive too. Family life in Antigonish can't compete with being Defence and Foreign Minister galavanting around the world.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 6:44 PM

Quote:

Agreed 100%. By having a whiff of respectability, Sean Fraser would be the most effective at continuing the Liberal's ideological assault on Canada's immigration consensus, which is seriously frayed at this point and creating a national unity crisis.

It was nice to see PP call out this NPR insanity on TVA:

«Ça va être beaucoup plus bas, surtout pour l’immigration temporaire. C’est impossible d’inviter 1,2 million de nouvelles personnes au Canada chaque année lorsqu’on bâtit 200 000 logements. C’est impossible. Il n’y a pas de place. Le Québec est au point de rupture», a déclaré le chef conservateur en entrevue au TVA Nouvelles.

Immigration: «Le Québec est au point de rupture», dit Poilievre
https://www.journaldequebec.com/2024/06/20/immigration-le-quebec-est-au-point-de-rupture-dit-poilievre#:~:text=C'est%20impossible%20d'inviter,en%20entrevue%20au%20TVA%20Nouvelles.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Agreed 100%. By having a whiff of respectability, Sean Fraser would be the most effective at continuing the Liberal's ideological assault on Canada's immigration consensus, which is seriously frayed at this point and creating a national unity crisis.

It was nice to see PP call out this NPR insanity on TVA:

«Ça va être beaucoup plus bas, surtout pour l’immigration temporaire. C’est impossible d’inviter 1,2 million de nouvelles personnes au Canada chaque année lorsqu’on bâtit 200 000 logements. C’est impossible. Il n’y a pas de place. Le Québec est au point de rupture», a déclaré le chef conservateur en entrevue au TVA Nouvelles.

Immigration: «Le Québec est au point de rupture», dit Poilievre
https://www.journaldequebec.com/2024/06/20/immigration-le-quebec-est-au-point-de-rupture-dit-poilievre#:~:text=C'est%20impossible%20d'inviter,en%20entrevue%20au%20TVA%20Nouvelles.
Interesting that Poilievre doesn't use that messaging in the ROC.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
English media let you get away with that. It's a safe position in Quebec.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 8:33 PM

Quote:

How does that work with things like Buy America/ Buy American requirements? If they can do it why can't we?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 8:37 PM

Quote:
How does that work with things like Buy America/ Buy American requirements? If they can do it why can't we?
Not a trade lawyer but my understanding is that:

1) Those rules only apply to public works/infrastructure projects.

2) Canadians get reciprocal exemptions from a lot of those rules. This is how Bombardier (now Alstom) was able to sell into the US market.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
English media let you get away with that. It's a safe position in Quebec.
Eh?

Three days ago:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/tas...te-from-canada

From March:

https://www.hilltimes.com/story/2024...crisis/416159/

From October:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...-left-alberta/

From last June:

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/ba...-all-of-canada

Just because most anglophones aren't paying attention doesn't mean the media hasn't discussed it.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Eh?

Three days ago:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/tas...te-from-canada

From March:

https://www.hilltimes.com/story/2024...crisis/416159/

From October:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...-left-alberta/

From last June:

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/ba...-all-of-canada

Just because most anglophones aren't paying attention doesn't mean the media hasn't discussed it.
Non of those articles mention Poilievre discussing it or using it as a campaign message.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Non of those articles mention Poilievre discussing it or using it as a campaign message.
Well yeah. Him doing this is brand new. I'm sure one of his staffers slipped him some of these articles.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada