HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 5:37 PM
I am the law!

Toronto is so much better than Dubai. One Yonge's podium would be an open air parking structure in Dubai and, the pedestrian realm would be surfaces parking spaces.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 6:22 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Southcore is very much like a little piece of Miami, but minus the public spaces and beaches. It'll be really odd seeing this area in 5 years with the coming projects we're starting to see rise.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Toronto is so much better than Dubai. One Yonge's podium would be an open air parking structure in Dubai and, the pedestrian realm would be surfaces parking spaces.
That's not even an exaggeration... Toronto over Dubai 11 times out of 10.

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.2116...5409&entry=ttu

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 10:13 PM

Re: One Yonge

Bit nervous to see if they pull a VE bait and switch after the 13th floor slab

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 11:23 AM
I am the law!

It's curtain wall in the development permit.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 3:29 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Southcore is very much like a little piece of Miami, but minus the public spaces and beaches. It'll be really odd seeing this area in 5 years with the coming projects we're starting to see rise.
I'm not really seeing it. New highrise areas of Miami are pretty devoid of public space and feature large parking podiums / garage entrances. They tend to be greener with more street trees though.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 3:40 PM
I am the law!

Isn't Southcore also built out as well as the broader formerly called railway lands? I can only think of the lot behind the 42 storey TCHC tower on Bremner near Bathurst remaining undeveloped which is pretty nuts considering the amount of land in 2000 and density of development since.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 3:55 PM
sick transit, gloria

That lot and the parking lot at Bay/Harbour are the only undeveloped parcels I can think of. The latter is the site of the Hub office proposal so I assume nothing will happen there for quite some time (unless the City decides to allow residential uses).

While Southcore and Cityplace aren't my cup of tea they're beginning to feel like a real part of the city. A lot of the sterility is slowly disappearing as retail spaces have customized their spaces, particularly restaurants and bars. People love to shit on Cityplace but it's far more "complete" than most of the suburban megaprojects are likely to ever be. They need to do something with the grass median on that stretch of Fort York Blvd though - I assume it was originally intended for a streetcar ROW but could be wrong.

Was looking on streetview and the change on this stretch of Bremmner in Southcore is pretty wild:

2007: https://maps.app.goo.gl/N2FNp3x1zZnp4jdm8

2021: https://maps.app.goo.gl/yGB2tHxo3Cs2umKJ9

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 6:43 PM
I am the law!

Yes. That's another one.

Execution is one thing. The planning for Cityplace including a massive park with sports field, a dedicated school property, a library, large format retail, small format retail, restaurants, live work, RGI housing, etc. is head and shoulders ahead of the average over developed T.O.C.

It's in walking distance of dense employment too.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 6:52 PM
Volatile Pacivist

For me Cityplace is mostly fine. I wouldn't want a whole city of that but then I'm not sure I'd want a whole city of any one thing regardless of how good that thing was since I like variety. So a few areas like Cityplace aren't an issue. I do wish the architecture was a bit nicer but the Cityplace buildings still aren't the worst of the blue-green spandrel imo.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 9:30 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeej View Post
That's not even an exaggeration... Toronto over Dubai 11 times out of 10.

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.2116...5409&entry=ttu

I didn't realize Dubai is this bad. It is the number 1 tourist city on earth, and you figure it should be better. I was supposed to go there a couple of years ago but my travel partner got covid so I had to cancel my flight and hotel.

As for yonge street it's not that bad compared to Dubai, it has insane density for a Toronto street, and it can be fixed, by reducing the road lane or removing the road lane all together. One option will work to make it a better place.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 9:38 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
I didn't realize Dubai is this bad. It is the number 1 tourist city on earth,
I thought that was Niagara Falls...

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 9:57 PM

Dubai's streetscape leaves a lot to be admired in terms of urban form, but one thing it has a massively huge advantage over Toronto on is it's cleanliness. Toronto is so dirty by comparison of course, and I'm not even suggesting that Toronto is dirty per se, but by comparison it looks it.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 10:37 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
I thought it was Paris or Bangkok. Or maybe Las Vegas...

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 10:47 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
I didn't realize Dubai is this bad. It is the number 1 tourist city on earth, and you figure it should be better. I was supposed to go there a couple of years ago but my travel partner got covid so I had to cancel my flight and hotel.

As for yonge street it's not that bad compared to Dubai, it has insane density for a Toronto street, and it can be fixed, by reducing the road lane or removing the road lane all together. One option will work to make it a better place.
Tourists aren't exactly a high standard. They want pampering with beaches, shopping and all inclusive accommodations.

The zany Dubailand masterplans from decades ago were annihilated with the 2008 real estate collapse. The only plans to survive were golf course communities. No amusement parks. No thrilling skyscraping architecture. One cricket stadium.

I will say it looks like Dubai has turned the corner and the newest shit is the most urbanist, pedestrian engaging Dubai has ever been. There even hiding the above ground garages. It's still one master plan next to another.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 10:56 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I thought it was Paris or Bangkok. Or maybe Las Vegas...
Macau was doubling ... tripling ... etc. down on Vegas for most of the 2000s. I say was as the crazy Chinese lockdowns must be still affecting the place.

Mecca should be on the list.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 11:07 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I'm sure there's some degree of visitor appeal to Dubai even for just the sheer spectacle. Tallest building in the world, more supertalls than anywhere else, several mega-projects, etc. all built in a stunning amount of time. It's first supertalls were built around 25 years ago while NYC's first was almost 100 years ago.

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
There's a ton of top tourist lists out there.

Paris, Dubai and Niagara Falls are often in the top three... even saw one list where my beloved Maldives were Number One! (no idea how that many planes could land on that air strip lol).

One (arrivals) list insists Istanbul had the most international visitors in 2023.

Maldives: Best snorkelling on the planet right on your front door.

Link

The international airport.

Link

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 9:20 PM

Concord Sky | 300.3m | 85s | Concord Adex | Kohn Pedersen Fox l u/c

Red Mars

UT

Red Mars

Screenshot from a video looking north-east with Concord Sky in the skyline right of centre.

RyanD

steveve

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 5:31 PM

The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners l u/c

BloorMan

jackattack

jackattack

Rascacielo

Concord Canada House | 231.97m | 74s | Concord Adex | Arcadis l u/c

Red Mars

Red Mars

Red Mars

Paclo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada