HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Interesting little tidbit:

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...about-prospect

If the tracks get moved, the former alignment along Belle Chasse Hwy may be up for grabs... if the West Bank wants a streetcar line, that's where they should put it. Run it from the Algiers ferry landing to the naval base at Belle Chasse. The alignment runs at grade but in a private right-of-way, so it wouldn't get slowed down in traffic like a bus or a mixed-traffic streetcar (save for the section along Madison St in Gretna).

I mean, the ridership potential is still super-low and there is zero effective sidewalks/density, but at least this alignment could be fairly speedy unlike DeGaulle or Behrman. Ultimately any of this is foolish without a direct connection across the river... and even then, the ridership potential is lower than any number of projects in Orleans Parish.
I may be the only one who remembers this, but 15 years ago or so they tried to run a tourist line down Belle Chasse Highway. They had little markers that said things like "Hooterville" (for Lapalco and BCH- where there's a Hooters). As you would expect, it didn't do too well.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 7:08 PM
-

Interesting Article on The Crescent City Connection Lights... Good to see they are going to spend money to upgrade lights... I also forget that the money is used to pay for lighting all the way from Broad Street in New Orleans til the end of the elevated expressway on the West Bank.

Crescent City Connection fund can pay for lighting, other services for three-plus years

The Crescent City Connection transition fund has a $4.4 million balance, enough to cover expenses, including the bridge's decorative lights, for a little more than three years, according to the Regional Planning Commission's executive director.

Walter Brooks, RPC executive director, said he will meet with elected officials in the coming weeks to talk about long-term funding for utilities and other services.

"We're going to be facing basically a $1.3 million requirement on a recurring basis,'' Brooks said referring to enhanced maintenance and utilities.

RPC will study converting the decorative lights to LEDs, which could lower operating costs about 80 percent, Brooks said. The agency will consult with representatives in Seattle and Miami, where LED lights are being used, about their experiences.

"We're more comfortable with trying to find some capital money to change out the lighting than we are to try to keep coming up with this recurring cost of $500,000 a year in lighting expenses,'' Brooks said. "We've got to look at some creative ways to do this. It's not an easy challenge.''

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...ion_trans.html

With Wal-Mart retail marks return to N.O. East

This may not seem very exciting but its ramifications for our tax base are... we need to capture every ales tax dollar that we can and the amount of money we send to neighboring parishes is unacceptable. We are making good progress though and this will help us to spend more money on our own infrastructure.

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...l-marks-return

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 16, 2014 at 7:50 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 7:17 PM

Coal Terminal

I'm not understanding the coal terminal...why would anyone be interested in building a coal export facility that far downriver? Where is this coal coming from? Would it not be cheaper to transport the coal somewhere closer to Baton Rouge via rail, then put it on the river? I understand that exporting coal to Europe is big business, but it just doesn't make sense to me why shipping coal SO far via rail just to put it on the river is economical- when the biggest concentration of coal mines in the Southeast are near Birmingham and Tuscaloosa, which ship coal out of the terminals in Mobile. Unless there are new coal discoveries being made elsewhere?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 7:46 PM

Coal Terminals

Exporting coal is big business. It goes all over the world from here, Africa, Europe, Asia. Coal burning power plants can burn from 10 to 20 thousand tons of coal a day. A typical coal ship carries about 70,000 tons, merely a week's supply. There are coal terminals all up and down the river including United Bulk Terminal in Davant and International Marine Terminal in Myrtle Grove. Both of these are way down river. Coal goes out 24/7/365 as does grain.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 8:05 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
Exporting coal is big business. It goes all over the world from here, Africa, Europe, Asia. Coal burning power plants can burn from 10 to 20 thousand tons of coal a day. A typical coal ship carries about 70,000 tons, merely a week's supply. There are coal terminals all up and down the river including United Bulk Terminal in Davant and International Marine Terminal in Myrtle Grove. Both of these are way down river. Coal goes out 24/7/365 as does grain.
Yeah just pay attention to many of the trains going by and you will see tons of train cars with coal and some sort of screen sheet on top.

Convention center envisions a new type of expansion

Since opening three decades ago as the main exhibition hall for the 1984 World’s Fair, the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center New Orleans has served as a destination for visitors of all kinds to New Orleans, hosting conferences, trade shows, concerts, music festivals and major sports events.

Despite that long history, or perhaps because of it, tourism industry officials say, the facility has gotten stale. To remain competitive in an increasingly crowded convention market, that has to change, they say.

The convention center needs to expand, again, but not in the same old way.

“We’re trying to create a new experience for people that have been to New Orleans before and that want to come back,” said the center’s general manager, Bob Johnson. “And now they’ve got a lot more choices, so we need to make it hard for them to say no to New Orleans.”

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...nvisions-a-new

A new riverfront campus in the works for Tulane

http://www.cbr.tulane.edu/riverfront-campus.html

http://www.cbr.tulane.edu/riverfront-campus.html

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 16, 2014 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 1:55 AM

Tulane Riverfront

Sooo anyone have any guesses where this will be? Seem to be a lot of conflicting reports.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 5:05 AM

Smoothie King Center

The moment I've waited 15 years to announce:

Quote:
Renovation plans expected to include changing the exterior color of the Smoothie King Center
http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s..._river_default

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Well, like I said before, I understand that a large amount coal gets exported, etc...but it doesn't explain why shipping it so far downriver by train (when it comes from nowhere around here) is better than putting it on boats further upriver, thereby avoiding the mess that is rail traffic through New Orleans, which is well-documented in the Advocate article about the proposed terminal and in several other NOLA.com articles.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 4:32 PM

Coal Terminals

Most coal delivered to terminals is by barge. I would guess 80%. Plus port expenses for ships are extremely high (over 100k per port call). The farther down river a ship loads the cheaper it's port expenses will be. The farther up river you go with your ship you will incur additional fees such as extra pilotage, harbor fees, and launch service fees. It all adds up very quickly. I was a shipping agent for many years.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 6:10 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Most coal delivered to terminals is by barge. I would guess 80%. Plus port expenses for ships are extremely high (over 100k per port call). The farther down river a ship loads the cheaper it's port expenses will be. The farther up river you go with your ship you will incur additional fees such as extra pilotage, harbor fees, and launch service fees. It all adds up very quickly. I was a shipping agent for many years.
now ^that's an answer I can use!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 7:11 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Sooo anyone have any guesses where this will be? Seem to be a lot of conflicting reports.
I was very confused as well until I read the rfp for Tulanes deal. They will be building first phase on part of the project next month with completion in May 2015. It will be on half the footprint of the current wharf that also houses mardi gras world. Its basically the part of the mardi gras world wharf they don't use all the way to the Port of New Orleans office Building. But yes there appears to be some conflict between this and the Convention Center but after reading the rfp it appears they are trying to coordinate now. Remember all the land actually on the river side of the floodwall is Tulanes or the Port of New Orleans. So I hope there is some good coordination between the entities which it seems there has been. Since they are both going forward around the same time I think we can expect a good outcome.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
The moment I've waited 15 years to announce:

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s..._river_default

Glad we built it, glad we got a team. But yeah, the bathroom tile look left a little to be desired.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 9:32 PM
-

309 Magazine St·New Construction ·Ref Code: ALNPCQ
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Christian Rodriguez
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
6/16/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
The new development will be two buildings: a four story building in the front on Magazine St, and a twelve story building in the back on Picayune Place. The lower four floors of both buildings will be office space, and floors eight through twelve in the back building will be residential. There is an existing historic facade on Magazine St that will be preserved in the new construction.

301 N Peters St [Felipe's Taqueria French Quarter]·VCC General Work · Permit #14-18372-VCGEN ·Ref Code: 4NK85R
Type:
VCC General Work
Applicant:
Bfst, LLC
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
6/12/2014 12:00:00 AM
Description
Reissue of permits #VCCP-12-0403 & VCCP-10-0160, excluding work already performed, per VCC approval of 11/17/09, AC approval of 12/22/09, and as per drawings received & stamped approved 03/24/10, as follows: Replace 3rd & 4th floor windows as needed to match existing. Remove existing two-over-two-lite window and masonry infill at the ground floor of the Bienville elevation (closest to Decatur); install full-length French doors to match existing adjacent, as per sheet a7.0. Install canvas awning at lakeside entry of Bienville elevation, as per detail 3, sheet A7.0. Also approved: Replace one (1) French doors sash, cut without benefit of permit, as needed to match existing adjacent, per violation notice issued 11/19/12.

2300 N Peters St, Temp A·Construction Loop · Permit #14-14272-LOOP ·Ref Code: F6C7ME
Type:
Construction Loop
Applicant:
Timothy Samuel Blanchard
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
5/6/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Temp power for construction site. Construction includes pedestrian bridge.

864 S Peters St·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: FZTFXS
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Kevin Barns
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
6/17/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description

This permit is for the exterior renovation of an existing masonry and heavy timber framed building. With the exception of International Shipholdings main entry, the ground floor openings are to be restored and infilled with wood framed openings and wood shutters replicated to match the historic period of the buildings original construction (1900). A replicated metal canopy with steel plate brackets will be installed typical of its era and the neighborhood. The main entry located on St. Joseph St. will have a modern steel canopy, and full height doors. A modern barn door style shutter will be installed at this location. The second floor openings are to be restored to their original condition. These windows have never had any glazing, new modern aluminum windows will be installed. A new roofing membrane is to be installed. Also the roof will house skylights to the second floor, and a roof terrance from the adjacent building (being permitted seperately)

864 S Peters St·New Construction ·Ref Code: KDY6NU
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Kevin Barns
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
Closed:
No
Description
This permit if is for the exterior only. The attached 5 story building will house a portion of International Shipholding Corporation's new headquarters, and is an addition to an existing 2 story historic building located on the same lot. (Historic building renovation under seperate permit) The building program will contain 2 floors of business occupancy, 2 full floors of parking, and the ground floor is being designed as additional parking or future retail. The building will be constructed of post tensioned concrete slab floor plates and cast in place concrete columns. The exterior walls will be of steel stud framing, aluminum storefront/curtain wall glazing, and cor-ten steel skin.

Smoothie King Center Construction:

Pontchartrain Housing Office I:

New Coroners Office and EMS Office coming along:

Sherrifs Complex:

French Truck Coffee Plans Magazine Street Move

French Truck Coffee, the preferred roaster of many a local restaurant and coffee shop, is going brick and mortar with a new spot in the Lower Garden District. The coffee roasters have been doing business out of an LGD warehouse on Erato Street—the same one where Courtyard Brewery is setting up shop—but French Truck has outgrown the space, Robert Morris of the Uptown Messenger reports. They're not moving far, though. The new location is a corner building on Magazine Street at Erato Street that will house the roasting biz, a coffee shop, and retail space. What to expect: The coffee shop, which will also have a pour-over bar and espresso machine, will be on the small side with minimal seating, so think more "on the go" and less "camp out all day with the laptop."

http://nola.eater.com/

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 17, 2014 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 2:22 AM

Great update! All this parking lot development is exciting

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I was very confused as well until I read the rfp for Tulanes deal. They will be building first phase on part of the project next month with completion in May 2015. It will be on half the footprint of the current wharf that also houses mardi gras world. Its basically the part of the mardi gras world wharf they don't use all the way to the Port of New Orleans office Building. But yes there appears to be some conflict between this and the Convention Center but after reading the rfp it appears they are trying to coordinate now. Remember all the land actually on the river side of the floodwall is Tulanes or the Port of New Orleans. So I hope there is some good coordination between the entities which it seems there has been. Since they are both going forward around the same time I think we can expect a good outcome.
I hate to be a debbie downer, but Tulane is late to the party here. Tulane's facility will end up being a backwater in the coastal research field. The battle to be the US coastal research hub has been played out already between Baton Rouge and Lafayette. Lafayette has all the regional HQ's for the federal agencies such as NOAA USFWS etc., as well as USGS's National Wetlands Research Center. Baton Rouge has all the state agencies, most of the private consultants, and the new Water Campus and Water Institute. http://www.nola.com/news/baton-rouge...ake_major.html

I hope for Tulane's and New Orleans' success at becoming knowledge hubs here, but I think most of the spoils of war have been spoken for already in this field of research.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 3:05 PM
life is good

Good points but the state is perpetually broke and Tulane is flush with its own money.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 3:47 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Good points but the state is perpetually broke and Tulane is flush with its own money.
I don't know enough to comment but I don't think they were just going the coastal research angle with the campus either way it's development . I do think coastal research in Baton Rouge is a bit silly though . Wrong location so id prefer to see it built somewhere it makes more sense .

Exclusive: HVS Opens NOLA Office in Midst of Booming Hospitality Industry

HVS Global Hospitality Services is a consulting firm that specializes in providing services to the hospitality industry. The company has a global reach, spanning over 30 offices staffing by more than 400 industry professionals, and has just opened a brand new office in New Orleans. New Orleans native Adam Lair will be heading up the [&hellip

NC-Based Toast Café Plans 6 New Restaurants For NOLA

Photo via TripAdvisor Fresh off the heals of the announcement that Krystal is looking to open 15-20 restaurants in New Orleans over the next year and Bayou Burger has plans for another 5 restaurants in the metro area, the North Carolina-based breakfast chain Toast Café is currently eyeing real estate for expansion into the New Orleans market.

Tech Park Unveils 8,000 Square Foot State-of-the-Art Conference Center

The Jefferson Parish Economic Development Commission (JEDCO) celebrated the grand opening of its new 8,000 square foot conference center with a ribbon cutting Thursday evening (June 12). The JEDCO headquarters is situated on the mostly undeveloped Churchill Technology and Business Park-owned land, which spans 500 acres. JEDCO and Jefferson Parish officials hope the state-of-the-art facility showcases

http://canalstreetbeat.com/

Musician Buys Former Piety Street Recording Studio for $750K

When producer/musician Mark Bingham announced he was closing up shop at Piety Street Recording last August and listed it for $895,000 in January, it was anyone's guess if the music magic would continue at the Bywater property. But check it out! Alex Ebert, lead singer of the band Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, plunked down $750,000 for the 4,865-square-foot corner building at Dauphine and Piety Streets that opened in the 1920s as a post office. The studio, which has seen a laundry list of celebs pass through its doors—Tom Waits, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, John Fogerty, too many to namedrop, plus a slew of local faves—comes with a 758-square-foot attic apartment, a yard, and off-street parking. According to this New York Times article (yes, the same one that sparked the "There's no kale here" hullabaloo) Ebert moved from Los Angeles to New Orleans in the spring of 2012. Bingham, who picked up the place in 1999 for the good ole' days price of $129,000, told The Times-Pic he shuttered the space because, "The spiritual intention of the city of New Orleans and its music scene is vastly different than it was 10 or 20 years ago. It would have been fine to keep going, but I felt the world had changed."

http://nola.curbed.com/

Ink Spot

New Orleans Tattoo Museum and Studio Space Opens on MLK

A new space dedicated to tattoo art opened its doors in Central City on Thursday night.
The New Orleans Tattoo Museum and Studio opened a studio and gallery at 1915 1/2 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., and proprietor Adam Montegut says a museum will follow.

http://www.noladefender.com/content/ink-spot

Off the Road

BEATnik Streams Into NOLA's Consciousness

Live music fans in New Orleans noticed a curious name in recent listings: the BEATnik, a new performance space on Clio Street at the former location of the Big Top. NoDef spoke with venue owner Jené Jeandron and talent buyer Jeremy Woolsey about the launch, their partnership, and the most exciting upcoming shows.

http://www.noladefender.com/content/road

Toby Keith's bar and grill on track to open in Riverwalk, despite restaurant's tax problems

Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill restaurant is on track to open at the Riverwalk later this year, despite the company's reported tax problems in New York, a mall executive said Tuesday.
Toby Keith's, which operates 16 restaurants around the country, is building its first Louisiana location inside a 19,000-square-foot space at the upriver end of the recently reopened Riverwalk outlet mall. The project is estimated to cost $1.5 million.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...rill_on_t.html

Junction Tavern Still on Track for Summer Opening

Junction, a train-themed neighborhood tavern and grill that's setting up in the former A & N Grocery building (3021 St. Claude Avenue), could very well be open by August 1, Sarah Baird reports. The team behind Junction—Molly's at the Market and 13 owners, Jim and Alana Monaghan, with business partner Lloyd Miller—plans to bring classic cocktails, 40+ draft beers, gourmet burgers, wings, and salads to the Bywater location, which will have an "art deco train station aesthetic." No word yet on a chef but as always, stay tuned.

http://nola.eater.com/

The Pickery

3014 Dauphine St, New Orleans, LA 70117

Delgado buys part of Federal City site in Algiers for $1.27 million

Delgado Community College has bought a portion of the Federal City site in Algiers, expanding its West Bank campus by more than 2-1/2 acres. The college paid almost $1.3 million cash for the land and two structures, when closing on the purchase Friday from the Algiers Development District, said seller's attorney Ken Pickering.
"They're the proud owners," Pickering told Federal City's oversight committee Tuesday, in announcing that Delgado closed on the long-awaited deal.
In addition to getting the land, Delgado acquired the 10,800-square-foot Navy chapel that overlooks Gen. Meyer Avenue and a large shed. The Navy used the shed for security purposes at the Shirley Drive entrance to the Naval Support Activity before it was closed in 2011. The acreage includes 28-spot parking lot.

http://www.nola.com/education/index....federal_c.html

408 Magazine St ·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: 8RMUPG
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Jennifer Wells
Zoning Review
Date Filed:
Closed:
No
Description
First floor interior renovation of existing building for build out of bank branch and offices, as per plans. No exterior work allowed under this permit.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 18, 2014 at 8:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 1:15 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
correction: flush with my money

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 1:43 AM
-

1121 Carondelet St·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: NMG3RV
Download (4) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Jack P Terrebonne
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
6/6/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Convert from automobile repair to retail as per plans.

Glad to see this restaurant supply project is back on because the building is an eyesore right now!

600 Carondelet St·Interior Demolition · Permit #14-19003-DEMI ·Ref Code: CNWB61
Download (2) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Interior Demolition
Applicant:
Steven Michel
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
6/18/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Interior demolition to existing office. No exterior work. Plans to follow for future renovation. No use and occupancy under this permit.

This is for the future hotel that the developers of South Market District have bought... so an announcement should be soon about future plans.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 19, 2014 at 2:10 AM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 3:20 PM

201 Camp St.

Does anyone know what is in the red stone building at 201 Camp St?

I believe there used to be an insurance agency there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations