HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsider_1036 View Post
I saw on their site plan that spot beside mastermind toys is going to be a dentist clinic at 3,167 sq ft. so according to plan there's 2 places there. mastermind toys & clinic.
http://riocan.com/docs/default-sourc...0.pdf?sfvrsn=0
Check post #8917

Also Mastermind now open

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 4:41 AM

I noticed Mastermind was open today, but didn't have time to go in.

When I was in the mall yesterday, I also noticed Merl Norman Spa next to the Source has closed up. Not sure how long they've been gone, but that's the 3rd empty slot in the mall; not counting the soon to be empty Sears block.

*Edit*

Also I was in the Northside McD's today, and they have a sign up. They are closing for Renos on November 1st for about 2 weeks or so. The playground is already disassembled, so it's probably a lobby/eating area revamp, plus installing the self-serve kiosks and stuff.

Last edited by Taeolas; Oct 29, 2017 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 6:29 PM
Any where but Fredericton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I noticed Mastermind was open today, but didn't have time to go in.

When I was in the mall yesterday, I also noticed Merl Norman Spa next to the Source has closed up. Not sure how long they've been gone, but that's the 3rd empty slot in the mall; not counting the soon to be empty Sears block.

*Edit*

Also I was in the Northside McD's today, and they have a sign up. They are closing for Renos on November 1st for about 2 weeks or so. The playground is already disassembled, so it's probably a lobby/eating area revamp, plus installing the self-serve kiosks and stuff.

Avalon closed back the beginning of sept I do believe. My mom normally went there they where open one day and closed the next. I figure they might move the source and gut out the whole area with sears and do something real good with that.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 3:39 AM

Saw this on Kijiji, hinting at a new Superstore at the corner of Two Nations and Cliffe.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 10:58 AM

Looks like a decent place for one. I might've pushed it closer to the Pepper Creek/Route 8 area, but that should have a good catchment area that won't eat too much into the other Superstores.

I suspect that the Southside is probably getting due for another Superstore as well at some point, but finding a good spot for that one will be more difficult. (The Oromocto Superstore might be enough to soak up some of the need so far).

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 2:10 PM

I have to wonder if this would replace the current northside Superstore, or if it would be in addition to it.

I've always thought that spot would be a good location for a grocery store.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
I have to wonder if this would replace the current northside Superstore, or if it would be in addition to it.

I've always thought that spot would be a good location for a grocery store.
I'm pretty sure it would be in addition to the other Northside store.

Currently, for 'big' grocery stores the city has:

3 Sobeys (2 South, 1 North)
2 Superstores (1 each side)
1 Co-Op (South side)
1 Independent (St Marys, Northside)

I believe St Marys uses Sobeys for the Noname brands as well, so that's probably offsetting the need for a second Northside Sobeys location.

The proposed location for the second Superstore would serve a big region, while being far enough from the Nashwaak Superstore that both stores should do well.

Given Superstore owns Shoppers now, I could see them doing a Superstore and Shoppers minimall development in that area as well. And probably a few more fast food outlets too.

Basically, now that the City has solidified their plans for finishing the Ring Road/2NC intersection and got a solid (next Summer) date for doing it, I think we'll see a lot of development along 2NC over the next 5-10 years.

And as I pointed out above, I also wouldn't be surprised if we'll see a 2nd Southside Superstore coming soon. The big question is where it will go; the current store is rather central to the southside area (whereas the Nashwaak store is more North-East, leaving lots of room for the proposed North-West location). I could see a new South-Superstore maybe on Bishop or out in Hanwell/Silverwood or maybe most likely, out in the Lincoln direction.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Looks like a decent place for one. I might've pushed it closer to the Pepper Creek/Route 8 area, but that should have a good catchment area that won't eat too much into the other Superstores.
Location, IF this comes to fruition, likely influenced to a degree by proximity to Walmart who also have expansion plans. Walmart has eaten into Superstore and Sobeys market share.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 3:44 PM

Probably could add both Walmarts and Costco to the list, all three are pretty well full service grocery stores.

I agree that it would likely be a second Superstore for the northside. While it would be good to get a new SS over here, I am a bit skeptical of it as the add on Kijiji appears to be for Colpitts who are trying to lease space across the street so it would be in their best interest to have the added traffic associated with a new grocery store in the area so it may be just based on a rumor. Also, the imagery date in GE is from 2011 so it is likely pre-2015, which is date of the imagery in GE for that area now, but hope I am wrong

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
Probably could add both Walmarts and Costco to the list, all three are pretty well full service grocery stores.

I agree that it would likely be a second Superstore for the northside, while it would be good to get a new SS over here, I am a bit skeptical of it as the add on Kijiji appears to be for Colpitts who are trying to lease space there so it would be in their best interest to have the added traffic associated with a new grocery store in the area. Also the imagery date is from 2011 and so it is likely pre-2015 which is date of the imagery in GE for that area, but hope I am wrong
My thoughts exactly re the current land owner ...Colpitts. While they certainly are active in the area there, it would be advantageous to speculate openly re any new major development. Having said that I also think it makes sense once the new round-about access to 2NC is complete next year

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
My thoughts exactly re the current land owner ...Colpitts. While they certainly are active in the area there, it would be advantageous to speculate openly re any new major development. Having said that I also think it makes sense once the new round-about access to 2NC is complete next year
Agree completely, I think the Northside could use another grocery store, especially given all the recent growth over here.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 3:54 PM

Re the southside.....I think Sobeys move at Uptowne will force the Superstore to react and accelerate their plans for a 2nd store. Its all about visibility, ease of access for customers and market share.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 5:10 PM

If Superstore were to go for a second Southside location, I suspect it would be around the Vanier highway, probably near Alison or Wilsey boulevards or Knowledge Park. It eats into the Co-op territory, but it is otherwise under served at the moment; and the population is denser at that end of the city, while being on the opposite side from the Smythe Street Superstore. That big empty spot on the Vanier Highway just next to Toyota would probably do well; easily accessible for Skyline Acres and Southwood folk, and not too far out of the way for people coming in from New Maryland either.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 5:52 PM

Quote:
If Superstore were to go for a second Southside location, I suspect it would be around the Vanier highway, probably near Alison or Wilsey boulevards or Knowledge Park. It eats into the Co-op territory, but it is otherwise under served at the moment; and the population is denser at that end of the city, while being on the opposite side from the Smythe Street Superstore. That big empty spot on the Vanier Highway just next to Toyota would probably do well; easily accessible for Skyline Acres and Southwood folk, and not too far out of the way for people coming in from New Maryland either.
That location is also quite close to campus (probably close to the same distance as Smythe), definitely makes sense.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl812 View Post
That location is also quite close to campus (probably close to the same distance as Smythe), definitely makes sense.
It's definitely not walkable from campus though.

I think a better location would be on Knowledge Park Drive, just east of the building where Winners is. You'd be catching a lot of commuters there.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 6:27 PM

Here's a scenario for discussion....Could Superstore build in Regent Mall in the former Sears? Better still what if Walmart decamped from Regent. Could Superstore move into part of that section?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
It's definitely not walkable from campus though.

I think a better location would be on Knowledge Park Drive, just east of the building where Winners is. You'd be catching a lot of commuters there.
True; the highways would make it less accessible to students; at least less accessible compared to the Smythe location. With both Sobeys being closer, I doubt Superstore is trying too hard for the college crowd regardless.

I considered a Knowledge Park drive near the Corbett Centre, but that feels too close to the Smythe location and especially too close to Costco. Still it's already a retail hub area, and it certainly gets both commuter traffic and is a heavy retail hub already. And it would be better positioned to tap into the University market.

Historically speaking, it wouldn't be the first time Superstore was in that area too; it used to be in the SportsChek anchor spot of the Regent Mall, decades ago. (That said, even with Sears leaving, I don't see Superstore looking to get back into Regent Mall, nor Regent Mall courting them. )

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 6:54 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:

Not good for the bus there tally o.

Also there will be no superstore up in that location, on two nations crossing, You can take that to the bank from big blue

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 7:01 PM

That location would be sort of close to the current store but since none of the possible locations in that area of the city would be walkable anyways, I think it's best to place it so the most people can access it easily. This way it's more convenient for basically anyone living in the southeast corner of the city as well as for the many people who work uptown.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 7:13 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Here's a scenario for discussion....Could Superstore build in Regent Mall in the former Sears? Better still what if Walmart decamped from Regent. Could Superstore move into part of that section?
I believe the Sears is going to be annexed by the mall and made into more mall frontage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces