HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 3:37 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMSY79 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted before or not but Royal Caribbean is pulling out of NO again after next season. I'm surprised they couldn't make it work. It seems like Carnival reigns supreme in the local cruise market. NCL seems to be hanging in there as well.

Yeah I think its just price point... Carnival is just cheaper and that appeals to that particular market. Carnival offers a lot more, also if the rumors of Disney Coming to the market are true than that will be much more competition. Also seems like royal does seem to come and go to this market about every two years. Personally, I dont do cruises(seem like cattle calls to me) but they do bring economic benefits to the ports they go to. So I like that aspect at least lol

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Yeah I think its just price point... Carnival is just cheaper and that appeals to that particular market. Carnival offers a lot more, also if the rumors of Disney Coming to the market are true than that will be much more competition. Also seems like royal does seem to come and go to this market about every two years. Personally, I dont do cruises(seem like cattle calls to me) but they do bring economic benefits to the ports they go to. So I like that aspect at least lol
I really think having the Port of Galveston so close is going to limit our ability to grow our cruise sector in the future. Carnival just announced a third ship for Galveston and Royal Caribbean has two ships there I believe. Houston also has a cruise terminal now. If they continue to invest in their facilities and increase their capacity, I don't see NOLA ships attracting many Texas people as they will have such a wide variety of ships/lines to choose from.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 3:30 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
I really think having the Port of Galveston so close is going to limit our ability to grow our cruise sector in the future. Carnival just announced a third ship for Galveston and Royal Caribbean has two ships there I believe. Houston also has a cruise terminal now. If they continue to invest in their facilities and increase their capacity, I don't see NOLA ships attracting many Texas people as they will have such a wide variety of ships/lines to choose from.
I see your point but most of our cruise travelers come from areas north and northeast. Also the selling of New Orleans and cruising as a twofer vacation is our real appeal . Many places offer cruises already. Anyways ships will move around and I'm sure new ones will come to replace it. They wouldn't be building a third terminal if they weren't sure of the demand for it

South Market District New Orleans Photo Updates from 6.5.2014 (this thing is going up quickly)

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 6, 2014 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 9:42 PM
life is good

Wow! This sounds quite bad. If you can't afford to repair a historic property, sell it to someone who can. Instead, gonna be used as parking. Sad as sh#t! Councilmember sounds like a doozy too...
Councilwoman takes unusual step of overruling HDLC, allowing demolition
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...nusual-step-of

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 9:53 PM

Lakeshore Drive Bike Lanes

No bike lanes for now on Lakeshore Drive after vote

The board in charge of managing the lakefront has officially closed the door on bike lanes for Lakeshore Drive, at least for the foreseeable future.

After a lengthy meeting in front of a sizable crowd, the Non-Flood Protection Asset Management Authority rejected a bid to reduce vehicle traffic to two lanes along the western-most three-quarters of a mile, said Nyka Scott, the president of the board. The outer two vehicle lanes along that stretch would have been repurposed to create "recreational lanes" for cyclists and other non-vehicle traffic.

The authority voted 7-5 against creating the recreational lanes...

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._river_default

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 12:02 AM
dazzle me

Quote:
Kirschman Gets City Approval For Demolition of Old Frank’s Steakhouse on Freret

The City of New Orleans’ Neighborhood Conservation District committee has granted a local businessman permission to demolish the former Frank’s Steak House, located on Freret Street.

Arnold Kirschman, whose family had operated furniture stores in New Orleans for almost a century, will be redeveloping the site at the corner of Freret and Cadiz, the largest remaining undeveloped parcel along Freret Street.

The site consists of several parcels, including the old Frank’s Steak House, in addition to a building located at the corner of Cadiz and Freret Street, which once housed a laundry. The Cadiz Street building will remain and be renovated.

http://canalstreetbeat.com/kirschman...use-on-freret/
wtf?? this is the nicest building on that street!
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=4527+...35.12,,0,-3.52

"the largest remaining undeveloped parcel along Freret Street"?? is that a joke? what about the huge surface parking lot/shopping center thing right across the street?? typical new orleans, fix it until it's broken.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 1:31 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
No bike lanes for now on Lakeshore Drive after vote

The board in charge of managing the lakefront has officially closed the door on bike lanes for Lakeshore Drive, at least for the foreseeable future.

After a lengthy meeting in front of a sizable crowd, the Non-Flood Protection Asset Management Authority rejected a bid to reduce vehicle traffic to two lanes along the western-most three-quarters of a mile, said Nyka Scott, the president of the board. The outer two vehicle lanes along that stretch would have been repurposed to create "recreational lanes" for cyclists and other non-vehicle traffic.

The authority voted 7-5 against creating the recreational lanes...

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._river_default
Fuck.

Why does Lakeshore Drive need 4 lanes? It's a twisty road that runs through a park. Most people will take Robert E Lee if they're going from place to place.

This "Non-Flood Protection Asset Management Authority" seems like a joke to me... they manage a ton of valuable lakefront property and they have absolutely no vision for what to do with it.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 1:52 AM
life is good

Yeah, wtf?

Especially infuriating since NOLA has one of the highest per capita number of bikers in the country.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 2:51 AM

Uber and Lyft

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 4:42 AM

Robert E. Lee and Leon C. Simon take forever to go from "place to place". It's a parade of stoplights. Lakeshore Dr. is a great scenic route to go nonstop without stoplights from one end to the other. Put a bike lane on the side.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
wtf?? this is the nicest building on that street!
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=4527+...35.12,,0,-3.52

"the largest remaining undeveloped parcel along Freret Street"?? is that a joke? what about the huge surface parking lot/shopping center thing right across the street?? typical new orleans, fix it until it's broken.
Take a breathe- they are only demolishing the two story brick structure there with balconies that screams 1983. They are replacing it with a larger more appropriate structure. See: http://uptownmessenger.com/2014/06/c...et/#more-39984

I also don't know what you are talking about across the street. Publiq house has a parking lot; across the street is Sarita's...? Yeah, boo surface lots?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Wow! This sounds quite bad. If you can't afford to repair a historic property, sell it to someone who can. Instead, gonna be used as parking. Sad as sh#t! Councilmember sounds like a doozy too...
Councilwoman takes unusual step of overruling HDLC, allowing demolition
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...nusual-step-of
"She said she was under the impression, through conversations with church representatives,
that the neighborhood association supported the plan for demolition." So, after finding out that they had lied to her, she still would not ask for a second vote. Old-style NOLA politics. Hopefully this can somehow be challenged.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 4:18 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Take a breathe- they are only demolishing the two story brick structure there with balconies that screams 1983. They are replacing it with a larger more appropriate structure. See: http://uptownmessenger.com/2014/06/c...et/#more-39984

I also don't know what you are talking about across the street. Publiq house has a parking lot; across the street is Sarita's...? Yeah, boo surface lots?
Publiq House's parking lot is okay... the mall with Company Burger is the sucky one. And Bloomin' Deals across the street. Build those out with parking in the rear.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 12:52 AM
-

Some videos I took from South Market with my google glasses today:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10831...11454678935602

https://plus.google.com/photos/10831...11114585983666

7 Press St·New Construction ·Ref Code: J46YX8
Download (1) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Lacey Wotring
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
6/6/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
The proposed project is to transform the empty lot into a garden space. A recycled shipping container will serve as an accessory-use structure to a garden. The container will house garden supplies, a small retail outfit and a restroom. Scope of work also includes a new greenhouse, planting beds and walkways, a new fence, and a new sidewalk along Press Street.

1075 Prytania St·New Construction ·Ref Code: UTHFFA
Download (16) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Dinu M Tise
Plan Review
Date Filed:
11/20/2013 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Construct a 3-story, 5,100 sq. ft. mixed use building as per plans and 13-38951-HDLC

307 Tchoupitoulas St [John T Campo & Associates, Inc]·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: DBNWPR
Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Scott Begg
Draft Application
Date Filed:
6/6/2014 3:14:49 PM
Closed:
No
Description
3rd floor addition of commercial space 960 s.f. to the lower rear roof as per plans and HDLC ????? to be used as office/storage.

Bayou Burger & Sports Co. Plans 5 Locations in Greater NOLA, Reports Todd Price

Bayou Burger & Sports Company has signed a lease to operate a second store in the French Quarter, reports Todd Price of Nola.com.

Creole Cuisine Restaurant Concepts, the owner and operator of Bayou Burger, says that the plan to open five additional Bayou Burger & Sports Company outlets in Orleans, Jefferson and St. Tammany parishes over the next five years.

Bayou Burger’s first store is located at 503 Bourbon St., and the second restaurant will go in at 1000 N. Peters St, which formerly housed Montrel’s Bistro.

http://canalstreetbeat.com/bayou-bur...ts-todd-price/

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 9, 2014 at 3:00 AM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 1:09 AM

Cool...

My alma mater, Edna Karr, will soon have a new school building on the river...

http://www.opsb.us/2014/05/edna-karr...eslie-ellison/

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 5:14 PM
-

New Orleans taking inventory of missing street signs

"If you don't have the street signs, for some of us that are not well seasoned, haven't been out here 20 years, yes, it's a little bit difficult for us," said Ortiz.

So far, city crews have installed 438 new street name signs along with 773 new traffic signs. The city is now taking inventory of the missing and broken signs.

Help is now on the way. The city just set aside $1.5 million for street sign repairs. Crews are now hard at work replacing street name signs and broken traffic signs. Ricardo Ortiz and his fellow New Orleans cab drivers appreciate the effort.

"If you don't have the street signs, for some of us that are not well seasoned, haven't been out here 20 years, yes, it's a little bit difficult for us," said Ortiz.

So far, city crews have installed 438 new street name signs along with 773 new traffic signs. The city is now taking inventory of the missing and broken signs.

If you have one on your block, you are urged to call NOLA 311 or report it in the NOLA 311 page of the city of New Orleans website, www.nola.gov.

If you have one on your block, you are urged to call NOLA 311 or report it in the NOLA 311 page of the city of New Orleans website, www.nola.gov.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/New-...262176111.html

Hundreds of jobs coming to Michoud with approval of $220 million project

Her wish could soon come true. Sen. Mary Landrieu's office announced $220 million being earmarked for developing a new space launch system at Michoud.

"We're still nine years after Katrina and there are parts of the city that continue to need to grow and expand. New Orleans East is one. So it's very important for that part of the city. It's frankly important for the whole region," Landrieu said by phone.

Landrieu's office says the United States relies on Russia to get astronauts to the International Space Station, costing taxpayers about $70 million per astronaut.

This funding is expected to change that. The new rocket-delivery system will help transport Americans to low-earth orbit, the moon and eventually to Mars.

While Landrieu says 700 jobs will benefit from the millions of dollars in funding that has been secured, New Orleans Councilman James Gray predicts many more job opportunities at the NASA facility.

"My information is it meant at least 1,000 jobs, possibly as many as 2,000 jobs. So it's a great deal for the city of New Orleans," he said.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Washington...262064501.html

Parisite Skate Park Plans Are Set to Roll in Gentilly

Ground should break next month for the construction of New Orleans' very first public skate park, Parisite, at Paris Avenue under the I-610 overpass in Gentilly, a site where local skateboarders staked their claim in a DIY fashion two years ago. The plans, put together by Transitional Spaces, a local non-profit started by skaters, and Tulane City Center got the go-ahead from the City Planning Commission's design team this week, The Times-Pic reports. The city's been holding onto $150,000 worth of ramps—a donation from the Red Bull Mississippi Grind skatepark barge that floated into town in 2011—and will pass along the equipment to Parisite. The park isn't just about ollies and half pipes, though. A water management plan is in place that includes rain gardens and landscaping to help prevent flooding.

http://nola.curbed.com/archives/2014...et-to-roll.php

See What SoFAB Has in Store for This Historic Marigny Home

A historic Marigny house at 1515 Pauger St. is getting the restoration treatment for its future life as a spot for the Southern Food and Beverage Museum's visiting culinary scholars and chefs to call home while they're in town, Gambit reports.

http://nola.curbed.com/archives/2014...useum.php#more

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 9, 2014 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 6:08 PM
-

Im rarely in favor of rebidding but it seems like the two bids were very close and that choosing either one would probably result in a much lengthier lawsuit. I personally hope they end up choosing whichever person can deliver the largest sum to the actual buildings themselves and not for fees etc. Also, since we wont have the superbowl in 2018 it seems silly to rush this at this point. If it takes two or three more months to finish so what. Getting the most and best deal for our airport should be the priority at this point. Although Im sure the mayor would like to see it finished before the end of his second term.

Board hits reset button on N.O. airport contract

The New Orleans Aviation Board, faced with two bidders at odds over the fairness of evaluations of their proposals to build a half-billion-dollar new terminal at Louis Armstrong International Airport, chose Monday to restart the process rather than take sides in the dispute.

Reissuing the request for proposals to build the $546 million terminal will delay the project, which Mayor Mitch Landrieu wants to complete by the city’s tricentennial in 2018, but it keeps the Aviation Board from having to decide the thorny issue of whether an evaluation committee erred in the scores it gave one of the bidders — a ruling that could have led to legal challenges that would have taken even more time to resolve.

After hearing Monday from both Hunt Gibbs Boh Metro, the firm that had challenged the committee’s scoring, and its competitor, Parsons Odebrecht, and holding a lengthy executive session, Chairwoman Cheryl Teamer announced the board’s decision to reissue the request for proposals. The move was made “in the best interest of the city of New Orleans,” she said.

http://theadvocate.com/news/neworlea...eset-button-on

The Listings Are Live For The Synagogue on Jackson Avenue

The Synagogue on Jackson Avenue, 12 just-renovated luxury apartments in, you guessed it, a former synagogue on Jackson Avenue, are now officially listed and ready for July 1 move-ins. The Lower Garden District rentals range from a 650-square-foot, one-bedroom with a $1,695 rent check to a $3,895 split-level penthouse that takes up the entire rear portion of the third floor and has two bedrooms, two baths, and 1,800-square-feet of space. A 900-square-foot, two-bedroom, two-bath unit is priced at $2,295. All units come with off-street parking, stainless steel appliances, a washer/dryer set-up, paid water and trash service, and attention animal lovers: pets are allowed. Per the listings, the five first floor apartments have "private outdoor areas" and the second and third-floor units have "loft space."

http://nola.curbed.com/

Former Mid-City Home Depot Under Contract; Who's Moving In?

When the Mid-City Home Depot shuttered last fall, its next-door neighbor Rouses, a Louisiana-based supermarket chain, was quick to swoop in on the sale. Now, Mid-City Messenger has word, from managing partner Donny Rouse himself, that the South Carrollton Avenue site is "under contract with a developer" for future use as a retail spot. Lips are sealed when it comes to who the future tenant of the 55,000-square-foot store will be, though. Past rumormongering on the Curbed tipline brought up several mentions of a Target moving in but with no solid evidence, that may have been wishful thinking on the tipster's part. Readers, what would you like to see in this space?

http://midcitymessenger.com/2014/06/...l-development/

Postmodern architect Charles Moore was known for his out-of-the-ordinary style, and his design of Piazza d'Italia, built in the CBD in 1978 to honor the Italian American population in New Orleans, is no exception. "Intended as a lynchpin for a new development, a gathering place by day or neon-lit night, the piazza instead fell into almost immediate disrepair...the piazza is yet to be absorbed into the city fabric, as Moore wanted it to be, and today remains a curiosity rather than a social center." [Arch Daily]

http://www.archdaily.com/513005/char...nst-the-grain/

South Market Yesterday:

Completed Drury Inn and Suites:

Almost Finished Sherriffs Complex:

Pontchartrain Housing Office Building:

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 10, 2014 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Im rarely in favor of rebidding but it seems like the two bids were very close and that choosing either one would probably result in a much lengthier lawsuit. I personally hope they end up choosing whichever person can deliver the largest sum to the actual buildings themselves and not for fees etc. Also, since we wont have the superbowl in 2018 it seems silly to rush this at this point. If it takes two or three more months to finish so what. Getting the most and best deal for our airport should be the priority at this point. Although Im sure the mayor would like to see it finished before the end of his second term.

Board hits reset button on N.O. airport contract

The New Orleans Aviation Board, faced with two bidders at odds over the fairness of evaluations of their proposals to build a half-billion-dollar new terminal at Louis Armstrong International Airport, chose Monday to restart the process rather than take sides in the dispute.

Reissuing the request for proposals to build the $546 million terminal will delay the project, which Mayor Mitch Landrieu wants to complete by the city’s tricentennial in 2018, but it keeps the Aviation Board from having to decide the thorny issue of whether an evaluation committee erred in the scores it gave one of the bidders — a ruling that could have led to legal challenges that would have taken even more time to resolve.

After hearing Monday from both Hunt Gibbs Boh Metro, the firm that had challenged the committee’s scoring, and its competitor, Parsons Odebrecht, and holding a lengthy executive session, Chairwoman Cheryl Teamer announced the board’s decision to reissue the request for proposals. The move was made “in the best interest of the city of New Orleans,” she said.

http://theadvocate.com/news/neworlea...eset-button-on

The Listings Are Live For The Synagogue on Jackson Avenue

The Synagogue on Jackson Avenue, 12 just-renovated luxury apartments in, you guessed it, a former synagogue on Jackson Avenue, are now officially listed and ready for July 1 move-ins. The Lower Garden District rentals range from a 650-square-foot, one-bedroom with a $1,695 rent check to a $3,895 split-level penthouse that takes up the entire rear portion of the third floor and has two bedrooms, two baths, and 1,800-square-feet of space. A 900-square-foot, two-bedroom, two-bath unit is priced at $2,295. All units come with off-street parking, stainless steel appliances, a washer/dryer set-up, paid water and trash service, and attention animal lovers: pets are allowed. Per the listings, the five first floor apartments have "private outdoor areas" and the second and third-floor units have "loft space."

http://nola.curbed.com/

Former Mid-City Home Depot Under Contract; Who's Moving In?

When the Mid-City Home Depot shuttered last fall, its next-door neighbor Rouses, a Louisiana-based supermarket chain, was quick to swoop in on the sale. Now, Mid-City Messenger has word, from managing partner Donny Rouse himself, that the South Carrollton Avenue site is "under contract with a developer" for future use as a retail spot. Lips are sealed when it comes to who the future tenant of the 55,000-square-foot store will be, though. Past rumormongering on the Curbed tipline brought up several mentions of a Target moving in but with no solid evidence, that may have been wishful thinking on the tipster's part. Readers, what would you like to see in this space?

http://midcitymessenger.com/2014/06/...l-development/

Postmodern architect Charles Moore was known for his out-of-the-ordinary style, and his design of Piazza d'Italia, built in the CBD in 1978 to honor the Italian American population in New Orleans, is no exception. "Intended as a lynchpin for a new development, a gathering place by day or neon-lit night, the piazza instead fell into almost immediate disrepair...the piazza is yet to be absorbed into the city fabric, as Moore wanted it to be, and today remains a curiosity rather than a social center." [Arch Daily]

http://www.archdaily.com/513005/char...nst-the-grain/
I want my Home Depot back. I just hope this doesn't turn into another upper-mid scale store, unless it's a big "get" like an IKEA.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 10:45 PM

Algiers Movie Studio...

Deep South Studios, a proposed $63.5 million movie campus in Algiers, moves forward

A movie producer with experience in Hollywood and the booming "Hollywood South" scene in Louisiana hopes to build a $63.5 million movie production campus in Algiers near the Crescent City Connection.

Scott Niemeyer of Gold Circle Films said Deep South Studios would be located on nearly 19 acres of land and offer five sound stages, two production buildings and other space for a total 262,000-square-foot facility. It would be the largest in the region with the nearest similarly sized studios in Atlanta and Albuquerque...

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s..._river_default

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 10:58 PM
-

Plans for The Beacon (South Market District)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations