HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Merry Xmas from Kelowna. Cloudy and chilly at 3c today

A nice Christmas view!

I think it’s official now, Kelowna has a real city skyline.

I also like the green Christmas touch with the lighting feature.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 4:18 AM

Yeah, that shot shows a few peaks and valleys. And I'm not talking about the mountains. Definitely a real skyline.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 4:21 AM

The Mandarin in Brampton moved from Queen and Kennedy (the very first one) area at least 25 years ago to a new spot visible from the 410. Everyone from Brampton knows where the Mandarin is because their trees and signage is lit up year round at night so it's easily identifiable from the highway. Tonight was the first time I'd ever gone to this location since someone told me it's not just the backside facing the highway that is lit up. This time of the year the front and side is too. I did not go to eat! I don't do buffets anymore. Not for a long time.

This location is not only the restaurant but also banquet hall and HQ. Which is funny because there are very few Chinese people in Brampton. You'd think the HQ would be in North York, Scarboro, Markham or Richmond Hill. But then again, Mandarin is not trying to attract Chinese people, but just a general patronage.

Last edited by megadude; Dec 26, 2023 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 4:28 AM

High of 9.7 at my house, 12.7 at my parents' house.

Saw this strange sight on the drive.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 4:36 AM

Flar and Townguy mentioned sun today. I didn't see a lick of sun today. Left Oakville at 1 and was in Brampton the rest of the day. Totally grey and foggy.

As for the coyote, a couple of us said that one is big. So perhaps it does have wolf in it.

25 years I lived in that house. Have been in that big forest hundreds of times. Have climbed up trees like three stories high just so we could see the golden arches of the McDonalds. Picked up baby mice and put them in a margarine container only for our parents to wisely tell us to put them back. Played with gardner snakes with sticks. Rode our bikes full speed down the big hill with the narrow path without helmet or any protection. Rode our backs on DIY dirt ramps. Found our way under the fence to the quarry and jumped 10 feet down over and over again. Created a death glove that shot out arrows made out of metal rods up into the air so we could watch it come back down through the tree canopy and run out of the way. All that, but never saw a coyote there until today. But have encountered coyotes at the Appleby GO station parking lot and an Oakville library parking lot. Go figure.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
High of 9.7 at my house, 12.7 at my parents' house.

Saw this strange sight on the drive.

I was thinking about doing that a few days ago. It's not warranted at all but if I did the lawn would look a little more level and nicer. Also, the 19th was the last yard waste pickup day. And there have been some stragglers dropping leaves still. So could kill two birds with one stone by just mowing.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Flar and Townguy mentioned sun today. I didn't see a lick of sun today. Left Oakville at 1 and was in Brampton the rest of the day. Totally grey and foggy.

As for the coyote, a couple of us said that one is big. So perhaps it does have wolf in it.

25 years I lived in that house. Have been in that big forest hundreds of times. Have climbed up trees like three stories high just so we could see the golden arches of the McDonalds. Picked up baby mice and put them in a margarine container only for our parents to wisely tell us to put them back. Played with gardner snakes with sticks. Rode our bikes full speed down the big hill with the narrow path without helmet or any protection. Rode our backs on DIY dirt ramps. Found our way under the fence to the quarry and jumped 10 feet down over and over again. Created a death glove that shot out arrows made out of metal rods up into the air so we could watch it come back down through the tree canopy and run out of the way. All that, but never saw a coyote there until today. But have encountered coyotes at the Appleby GO station parking lot and an Oakville library parking lot. Go figure.

It was a bit foggy this morning so it thought it would be cloudy and drizzling like yesterday, but ended up sunny all day.

It's midnight and still completely clear and you can see the full moon. I don't know how it's still 8 degrees with clear skies and no wind at this time of year at night

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 5:22 AM
Go Chiefs!

5C and mainly cloudy. However we had some beautiful sunshine earlier in the afternoon. Absolutely ZERO wind as well.

Beautiful Green Christmas!

Low of 1C this morning.

The warmspot was Sheringham Point, BC at 13.7C.

Warmest low was Estevan Point, BC at 7.5C.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 7:23 AM

Vancouver had anything but a white Christmas. Green/brown/grey and very wet.

Christmas Day's high at Vancouver Harbour was 10 C, the low was 6 C.

Downtown Vancouver, Dec.25 '23, my pics

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I think the lake breeze kept the clouds at bay for here. You could see dark clouds just north of Cobourg. Also with the breeze, and sun burning off the fog, we didn't have any fog either. We were under a fog advisory until the mid-afternoon, which I thought was strange. Makes sense now that I know it was all around us.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 1:02 PM

Absolutely wild sunrise this morning.

Forgive this crappy photo, best I could get without a tree in the way.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Vancouver had anything but a white Christmas. Green/brown/grey and very wet.
Burrard St. is slightly downhill at this intersection, the wind was blowing the rain stream uphill
That's Vancouver on Christmas Day for you.

https://makeagif.com/i/RPP1tU
This link has sound

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 7:52 PM
Cap the Cut!

Low was 1.4 last night and the high is currently sitting at 8.1 at the Halifax downtown dockyard weather station. A foggy early morning turned into a sunny late morning which has turned into various levels of cloud and sun. A very pleasant winter day for sure. A pic at low tide along Wright's Cove this afternoon:

20231226_150959 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 8:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

+8C in Moncton today as well, starting out sunny but gradually clouding over. Winds were calm again, and it felt more like early November rather than nearly January.

I went over to my eldest son's house this afternoon, and I had the sunroof open. Dozens of children were at the playground along the way. People were out walking their dogs with nothing more than a light sweater on. It was perfectly delightful.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 9:32 PM

Other than the sunrise, a pretty uneventful day. Mild again.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 10:31 PM
recession proof

It's migraine weather in Toronto today: overcast, foggy, rain. 44F/6.5C. (Although my migraine began as the sun was setting last night over Lake Ontario at Olcott NY, I think triggered by the light reflecting off the waves: gave me an insane aura, which I mitigated by eating almonds, coconut water and bananas - basically magnesium, zinc & electrolytes.)

https://imgur.com/a/ZL9NVER

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 1:04 AM

Mostly cloudy and 11 this afternoon. There was a bit of rain in the early morning and a low of 7.1.

First signs of spring before winter has even started

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 2:05 AM

Went out to go to the shed and I saw either a falcon or small hawk on the fence. I said yo wassup. He looked at me for a few seconds and then said sorry for the mess. Then it took off. I walked a few more steps and saw this.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 3:07 AM
Go Chiefs!

Up to 7C under mainly cloudy. No complaints! It really is a big 360 from earlier in the month where we had 30+ cm of snow and a deep freeze.

Low of 3C last night.

The warmspot was White Rock, BC at 12.9C.

Warmest low was Windsor, ON at 8.9C.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfancouver View Post
Burrard St. is slightly downhill at this intersection, the wind was blowing the rain stream uphill
That's Vancouver on Christmas Day for you.

Wow, thanks for that. I'm glad I was cocooned away in my apartment while that was going on.

So, after a stormy night, Boxing Day around Vancouver was pretty nice.
Morning sun and then some clouds in the afternoon. Calm, dry and very mild.

Tuesday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 11 C, the low was 8 C.

Vancouver Harbour Live Cam

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oChXUdzhX5s

English Bay Live Cam

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmFZKM74iEg

Downtown Vancouver, Dec.26 '23, my pic

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada