HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 8:50 PM
ARTchitecture

I agree, but it really isn't the people in the Canada section's fault though. If Victoria forumers want to become more noticed then they have to post in the Canada section. I notice this theme in all of BC's major cities. When I lived in Vancouver it was only me and a few other people from BC posting in the Canada section regularly, now there's only like 3.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 8:56 PM

I think part of the reason is so much on the Canadian section becomes a pissing match, so most BC forum members don't really care to post anymore there.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 4:26 AM

/\ Perhaps. Also, Vibrant Victoria was created several years back and that took away most of the Victoria people, must have been close to a dozen regular contributors. VV has over 2500 members now, and last November hit a high of 425 users online at the same time.

I occasionally try to post in the Canada section, and appreciate the feedback from Metro-One, Chadilliaccc and others, but truth be told, like most Victoria members (and probably BC) I don't feel the need to sell or promote the city too much. We know what we have, and while not perfect, we're content. If others don't get it, that's ok. Perhaps an island mentality too, for better or worse.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 6:05 AM
BANNED

^I never liked Vibrant Victoria's nazi-like control over every word people used though, freedom of expression is something that mattered little to them. They were too puritanical for a guy like me who tells it like it is so I stopped visiting but if you're the kind of person who wouldn't say shit if you had a mouthful of it then you'd probably like VV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I think it is interesting how much development in Victoria is under the Canadian radar.
That's probably due to it's height, or rather lack there of. The tallest project under construction in the city is a 21 story residential building.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Mar 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 12:38 AM
BANNED

So here's my latest, smaller series which I took out in the suburbs. These shots are two 6 story buildings going up in Saanich across from the Tillicum Mall with a final shot of what the buildings will look like.

These next few shots are of a huge project in Colwood called Capital City Center which may feature greater Victoria's two tallest buildings, a couple of 30 story towers although i'll believe it when I see it. The last shot is what the finished product should look like.

[IMG]

My cynicism over this project is based on the last skyscraper that was built in Colwood very near this latest project:

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Mar 30, 2013 at 12:53 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 3:14 AM
Website Manager

Cool Phil.

Construction of the Sovereign

by Gary H - http://www.vibrantvictoria.ca/forum/...tml#post212710

IMG_2241 by ghoyer59, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 8:40 PM
Website Manager

There will be five tower cranes on the skyline once the crane for Boardwalk on the Gorge is up next week.

Midtown Court

Hudson Mews

Sovereign

Promontory

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Apr 30, 2013 at 8:51 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 7:20 AM
BANNED

Nice shots Dylan but it looks like a bit of digital zoom was used on those shots which robbed them of some clarity so it looks like you need a little more zoom on your camera. Where were they taken, from uptown?

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 7:09 PM
BANNED

Here's the latest update from your (well, mine anyway) capital city:

It looks like Mondrian won the, "let's see who can dismantle their crane first" race:

Followed closely by The Sovereign:

The Promontory is at about the same spot as the last two except instead of being topped out it has another 10 floors to go:

The Union from both sides:

Hudson Walk

And finally, the Promontory again, from a distance. This building will be pretty much the same height as Victoria's tallest building, except because of it's hilltop location, will appear much taller.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; May 17, 2013 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastra View Post
Is it this building?

Funny thing about Victoria: most of the old commercial buildings have really tall ground floors but for some reason newer buildings in the historic areas aren't required to have tall ground floors and nobody seems to care about the inconsistency when a new building's ground floor is really short. The difference in the height of the ground floors is really obvious when you compare 601 Herald to its neighbours, and also when you compare The Sovereign to the old office block right next door on the corner of Broad Street.
This was a big thing with the recent Chinatown proposals, getting permission from City Council to have a tall first floor. Now, I don't remember if it's because there's a ban on tall first floors--I think it has more to do with the developer trying to squeeze in the same number of floors without exceeding the zoned height limit too much.

Anyway, it seemed easy to get permission for the taller floor (and the resulting height variance) by using the example of existing heritage that had that tall floor. In fact, the floors were so tall they could have a mezzanine. Some still have that little walkway, Pagliacci's restaurant on Broad St. being one.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 9:15 PM
BANNED

^Could you tell me what purpose zoning laws like height limits serve, other than obviously giving city lawyers work?

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 1:23 AM
Website Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Nice shots Dylan but it looks like a bit of digital zoom was used on those shots which robbed them of some clarity so it looks like you need a little more zoom on your camera. Where were they taken, from uptown?
No digital zoom was used. The distortion seen is from heat.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 10:52 AM
BANNED

Oh ok, so you must have taken those shots on that freakishly hot day a couple of weeks ago that shattered the old heat record. Wild.

So where were the shots taken from?

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 6:05 AM
Website Manager

construction cranes visible for two different six story office buildings

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 6:28 AM

Nice to see some Victoria updates! Thanks guys. The difference between the attention paid towards Halifax vs. Victoria on the Canada section is amazing. Victoria is rarely even mentioned. But just like Vancouver, BC forum members don't seemed to be as concerned with the national section as other areas of the country.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 7:41 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
For example, Someone123 the other day saying that Victoria's downtown is no more than 2 to 3 story buildings, giving it no real street walls.
Actually you appear to be paraphrasing a different poster here. I never said this or anything remotely similar; I went back and checked and somebody else made a "1-3 storey building" comment in that thread.

I don't mean to derail this thread, but I also want to set the record straight. In the future I'd suggest direct quoting with a link back to the original post to avoid this sort of thing, or better yet avoiding personal comments like this, particularly about posters who aren't likely to be around to defend themselves.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 10:11 PM
BANNED

I think a PM probably would have been better but your point is valid which is why ideally, we quote each other when there are problems like this so we know exactly what the other person said. I'm taking your word on this that you were misquoted so now I kind of feel like an asshole since I attacked you as well, thinking Metro knew what he was saying. In the future I too will refrain without a quote. Ah well, compost happens. Having said that, I think Metro makes an interesting point here about Halifax and Victoria.

By the looks of it i'll never know where Dylan took his steamy shots of downtown Victoria from since he won't answer me.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; May 20, 2013 at 10:59 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 10:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

You don't have to take my word for it, there's a forum search function. A PM might have been okay originally but it is a little late now that several people have responded and perhaps hundreds of people have viewed the thread.

The amount of attention a city gets depends almost completely on how many forumers take it upon themselves to add content to SSP. If Victoria forumers post more photos in the Canada section then Victoria will get more attention (I would welcome this -- sometimes there's not much variety in threads like construction). I am not sure how much it matters given that there's a separate Victoria forum; maybe posters there just don't care much about the SSP Canada section. Montreal also tends to get a lot less attention now for the same reasons.

Last edited by someone123; May 20, 2013 at 10:44 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 11:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
You don't have to take my word for it, there's a forum search function.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 6:36 PM

An upcoming downtown office building dubbed The Argus. The developer doesn't want a faux heritage design but City Hall is adamant the design remains "contextual."

More info: http://www.vibrantvictoria.ca/forum/...proposed-6323/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia