CANZOZ(?) now calling for a cease-fire.

https://www.pm.gc.ca/en/news/stateme...nd-new-zealand

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Change in policy?

It doesn't seem to really call for a cease fire and is still pretty balanced. Of course depending on where you think the balance is. The white boomers seem to have lost touch with where the Canadian public is on this. Trudeau govt is certainly more in tune with it.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 7:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
It doesn't seem to really call for a cease fire and is still pretty balanced. Of course depending on where you think the balance is. The white boomers seem to have lost touch with where the Canadian public is on this. Trudeau govt is certainly more in tune with it.
Are you saying I am a white boomer?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 7:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There's nothing wrong with calling for a ceasefire that has a Hamas surrender and hostage release as part of it. The horrible one-sided tankie type take is that anything Israel does is bad, they deserve whatever they get, they're in a commanding oppressor position, and so they have to just "take the hit", whatever the hit is. This view seems to come from a blend of Islamism/Antisemitism, anti-Westernism, and extreme ignorance about the world and resources available.

I think maybe the worst component impact-wise is the Fukyama-esque ambient sense that the USA and other related countries can basically do whatever at this point and the world will remain functional, so it's all about developing baroque morally upstanding positions. Meanwhile in the real world there are 2 major deterrence failures and there isn't really any coherent plan for Ukraine. It's a cousin to our Canadian affliction of debating plastic straw bans while people can't afford housing and our government finances are in shambles.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 7:41 PM

Quote:
I feel like this is a pretty racist and ageist comment to make, labelling people based on their race and age.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Change in policy?

Change in vote, more than a change in policy, istm.
Nice to see the old Can/Aus/NZ trio stepping up at the UN.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
I feel like this is a pretty racist and ageist comment to make, labelling people based on their race and age.
Nah. We are allowed to note that people of different races and ages have different political views and anyway white people are fair game for any generalization. Didn't you get the memo?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 9:36 PM

The statement calls for a ceasefire and says that Hamas cannot govern Gaza. So its balanced, but also rather useless; Hamas won't be stepping down voluntarily.

Still, good for Canada to show some solidarity with our closest 'brother' nations.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2023, 9:42 PM
Beer me Captain

Yeah too bad those damn "white boomers" just can't get it and be more on trend!

link

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 12:13 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Reactions seem to agree with me that this represents a policy shift on Canada's part.

Plus what Biden said.

When it starts.
To fall apart.
Man, it really falls apart.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 12:57 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

'We'll see how that flies haha"

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Yeah too bad those damn "white boomers" just can't get it and be more on trend!

link
I wonder if they are unaware what Hamas does to LGBT people.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
The statement calls for a ceasefire and says that Hamas cannot govern Gaza. So its balanced, but also rather useless; Hamas won't be stepping down voluntarily.

Still, good for Canada to show some solidarity with our closest 'brother' nations.
Absolutely. Very balanced statement. Good to see Canada (with Australia and NZ) showing international leadership based on our shared principles and values.

The US and UK can chose to come along or not. From Biden's comments the US is clearly noticing and I think it is very likely in the coming days we see a shift from them.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 3:12 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Maybe he understands that innocent children and civilians are also Palestinian and deserve freedom and not to be carpet bombed out of existence.

Why is it so easy for some to see the suffering of Ukrainians but not Palestinians.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Maybe he understands that innocent children and civilians are also Palestinian and deserve freedom and not to be carpet bombed out of existence.

Why is it so easy for some to see the suffering of Ukrainians but not Palestinians.
Think you missed the point. There aren't any gays for Russia groups for precisely the same reason. Nor are there any Russian Orthodox zealots for Ukraine protestors I suppose. There is certainly a lot of suffering in the world but weird woke intersectionality aside it's turkeys voting for Christmas.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 6:01 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Think you missed the point. There aren't any gays for Russia groups for precisely the same reason. Nor are there any Russian Orthodox zealots for Ukraine protestors I suppose. There is certainly a lot of suffering in the world but weird woke intersectionality aside it's turkeys voting for Christmas.
I think you missed the point. Hamas is not Palestine. Just like Benjamin Netanyahu is not Israel.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 6:02 PM

Not surprising to see Mendicino (Eglinton-Lawrence) and Housefather (Mount Royal) making their objections to the UN vote known.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 7:10 PM

Quote:
I think you missed the point. Hamas is not Palestine. Just like Benjamin Netanyahu is not Israel.
In all likelihood, the only scenario where gay/trans people have rights in a post-Hamas Gaza is an Israeli military occupation. Ironic.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Yeah exactly. Incredibly naive.

...LGBTQ people face such dire threats to their safety in Gaza and the West Bank that hundreds have fled to Israel as refugees. When interviewed by the United Nations, escapees have recounted harrowing torture and death threats from both family members and Palestinian security forces. Yet even abroad, these people are not safe. Last year, Ahmad Abu Marhia, a 25-year-old gay man living under asylum in Israel, was kidnapped and then beheaded in the West Bank just two months before he was scheduled to immigrate to Canada....

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/don...ass-homophobia

Old Posted Dec 13, 2023, 7:27 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:

Well, Russia chose to start the war with Ukraine while this latest conflict began with Hamas, not Israel.

I don't actually think the objection that Hamas throws gay people off of rooftops is that relevant but the Palestinian protest movement seems to have a lot of problems and pretty low informational content. You have the "river to the sea" people, the general disregard for suffering on the Israeli side, and too much credulity around people accepting whatever comes from Hamas. For example the death numbers in Gaza come from Hamas and they have an incentive to exaggerate. We don't really know what is happening there.

The narrative around genocide of Palestinians also doesn't fit in with their rapidly growing population. It would be valid to blame Israel for not working hard enough to avoid civilian casualties in Gaza but so many people just say Israel shouldn't be allowed to retaliate at all and needs to live with Hamas next door working on destroying them. The October attacks proved beyond all doubt how untenable that is.

I think the anti-Semitism and low information bandwagon effect behind these protests probably encourages Israel. They know that most of these people complaining about Israel either hate them no matter what or will be onto the next issue of the day soon, and anyway these people mostly don't offer any useful alternatives. Hate-on for Israel aside, what do we expect them to do? I am not sure leaving Hamas alone is even best for Gaza as eventually they will run Gaza into the ground more and more while provoking Israel into greater and greater responses.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada