HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 8:21 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

My heart really aches for those who get annoyed by having to wait an extra 20 seconds for the old lady with a walker.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 2:12 AM

They do load multiple cabs at a time. Not a zillion at once, but it is not a one at a time process.

Once you are in, they will generally pull out around anything in front of you.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
The front row of bollards was probably set back from the curb, and then each bollard back from that was probably set with a minimum spacing for accessibility, and that's where that ended up.
Not sure if that is quite true. It is hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like in the last row there isn't a bollard in line with the others.

Properly the bollards should run the entire length of the building (from the P1 entrance to the P2 entrance) and not just in front of the doors, but that would cost more money.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 5:10 PM

Update on the Churchill situation: https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/first-....orks-1.3914706

"The news release issued by the First Nations and iChurchill Thursday night does not mention Omnitrax by name."

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allandale25 View Post
Update on the Churchill situation: https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/first-....orks-1.3914706

"The news release issued by the First Nations and iChurchill Thursday night does not mention Omnitrax by name."
This sort of sounds good, but I will only believe it when I actually see repairs being made. I think VIA's service to Churchill is a unique experience (I have never done it) and there is potential to make a Churchill a bigger tourist destination in the future. Let's hope this resolves itself by this year's Polar Bear season.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 12:23 AM

From the CTV News twitter account:

BREAKING: Deal reached to restore rail link to Manitoba's isolated Churchill community http://bit.ly/2JhO4IE

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 2:28 AM

Good!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:

The article now has an undated image provided by OmniTRAX showing the flood damage.

(click to go to a larger copy I found on the web)

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 2:50 AM
Living With My Mother

I’ll be travelling out of trembly road next month. Does anyone know if the new raised platforms will be operational?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
I’ll be travelling out of trembly road next month. Does anyone know if the new raised platforms will be operational?
I traveled back in April and the nearside platform on the closest through track to the station was open. If your train is a through train, it tends to be on the high platform to speed boarding.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 10:43 AM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
I traveled back in April and the nearside platform on the closest through track to the station was open. If your train is a through train, it tends to be on the high platform to speed boarding.
I’m on train 624 to Quebec and 39 for the return. IIRC 39 does continue to Toronto. But I think 624 originates in Ottawa.

Normally I use Fallowfield and they bring me up on the lift. But couldn’t work it direct to Quebec for the times and dates I needed. Boarding / detraining is so much easier with the platforms at level, like in Montreal and Quebec.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 5:26 PM

Shortlist of manufacturers has been released. Full details here.

Quote:
MONTREAL, June 18, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - VIA Rail Canada (VIA Rail) announced today the names of the shortlisted applicants that will participate in the Request for Proposals (RFP) to manufacture the rolling stock to replace the current fleet that operates in the Quebec City-Windsor Corridor. Today's announcement is the result of a request for qualification (RFQ) process launched on April 16, 2018 seeking the interest of world-class manufacturers. Qualified companies will have until October 5, 2018 to submit a proposal. The new trainsets will come into service starting in 2022.

Qualified companies

Bombardier Transportation Canada Inc.
Siemens Canada Limited
Stadler US Inc.
Talgo Inc.
Evaluation of qualification applications

In accordance with its day-to-day business practices, VIA Rail conducted a rigorous, fair, open, transparent and free of conflicts of interest confidential analysis of all qualification applications. P1 Consulting, a Canadian leader in fairness monitoring, ensured that the RFQ process was executed with the utmost diligence and fairness.

Three evaluation committees, comprised of internal and external evaluators, conducted the application analysis process:

Technical Committee: Responsible for assessing the technical quality (Applicant Experience; Proposed Solution; and Deliverability) of each application.
Financial Review Committee: Responsible for assessing the financial capability of companies that submitted an application.
Conflict of interest Committee : Responsible for managing conflict of interest situations, if any
Ethics Commissioner Appointment

In the pursuit of the most rigorous governance practices for large procurements, VIA Rail also announced today the appointment of Patrick A. Molinari as the Ethics Commissioner for the Corporation's procurement process for the Corridor Fleet Renewal. The Ethics Commissioner's role is to review and investigate allegations of misconduct, suspected wrongdoings or unethical behavior, including fraudulent activities or financial irregularities, misuse of public funds, or allegations of violation of the Corporation's Code of ethics, and to assist with the fair, equitable and expeditious resolution of these matters related to the Corridor's Fleet Renewal procurement process.

Patrick A. Molinari is professor emeritus of the University of Montreal where he pursued a career from 1977 to 2010 and held the positions of Vice-Rector, Administration, Dean of the Faculty of Law and Director of the Public Law Research Center. He currently practices Government Affairs and Public law with Lavery, a Montreal based firm, and is the President of the Canadian Institute for the Administration of Justice.

"By inviting four world-class train manufacturers to participle in the RFP to replace our corridor fleet, we have reached an important milestone of our transformation plan to lead Canadians towards a more sustainable future. With a brand-new fleet of modern trains to service the Quebec City-Windsor corridor, we will be able to offer our customers a renewed and improved travel experience that will help us convince them to make the smart choice to travel by train. We are also proud to be able to count on the expertise of Patrick A. Molinari to ensure that VIA Rail maintains the level of trust and accountability that Canadians expect from VIA Rail in such an important public procurement."

Yves Desjardins-Siciliano
President and Chief Executive Officer, VIA Rail Canada

Last edited by Allandale25; Jun 18, 2018 at 5:26 PM. Reason: Link added

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Shortlist of manufacturers has been released. Full details here.
Basically same text is on VIA Rail's website:

https://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-...-manufacturers

It will be interesting to see what each one proposes.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
It will be interesting to see what each one proposes.
Here are some ideas, but we will have to wait and see to know for sure

Bombardier Transportation Canada Inc.
  • Locomotive: ALP-45DP (it has been upgraded to Tier 4 standards, dual mode locomotive)
  • Coaches: Unkown (Not aware of Intercity coaches that meet FRA standards)

Siemens Canada Limited
  • Locomotive: Charger SCB-40 or SC-44 (SCB-40, designed for Brightline and the SC-44 used by Amtrak for Hiawatha and Cascades Service plus in California)
  • Coaches: Brigthline Coaches (can't find an official name for them).

Stadler US Inc.
  • DMU: FLIRT200 (intercity variation of the DMU to be purchased for the Trillium Line, uncertain if it meets FRA Crashworthyness standards).

Talgo Inc.
  • Locomotive: Unknown (while they make cab cars, they don't appear to make any Tier 4 locomotives).
  • Coaches: Talgo 8 (used by Amtrak for Hiawatha and Cascades Service)

Personally I think Siemens is the one to beat. They are the only company to have both locomotives and coaches in production in North America. Personally it is my favourite.

Stadler could be an interesting competater, but i don't think they have sold any intercity trains in North America, which would put them at a disadvantage.

If Bombardier and Talgo combine forces, they could put together a compatitive bid as Bombardier has a proven locomotive and Talgo has proven coaches.

Here are some photos:

Bombardier ALP-45DP at Innotrans 2010 [Public domain], by "bengt" (Railroad.net), from Wikimedia Commons

Brightline Trains at Workshop b [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Patrickhamiltonbrightline, from Wikimedia Commons

FLIRT200 from Stadler

Amtrak Cascades ODOT Talgo Series 8
by wings777, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:21 PM

Quote:

Stadler US Inc.
  • DMU: FLIRT200 (intercity variation of the DMU to be purchased for the Trillium Line, uncertain if it meets FRA Crashworthyness standards).
I think Stadler's FLIRTs are capable of meeting FRA standards. The ones being used in Texas are, I believe.

Stadler also manufactures coaches, although similar to Bombardier there don't seem to be any North American ones at the moment.

Edit: Some of the (new) Rocky Mountaineer dome cars are manufactured by Stadler. I think they're definitely capable of building FRA compliant coaches.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post
I think Stadler's FLIRTs are capable of meeting FRA standards. The ones being used in Texas are, I believe.
What makes you think that? Similar to the Trillium Line, they are running on dedicated track, so they may have received an exemption. Also, they are FLIRT160 trains, which are regional trains (likely what OC Transpo is buying).

Quote:
Stadler also manufactures coaches, although similar to Bombardier there don't seem to be any North American ones at the moment.

Edit: Some of the (new) Rocky Mountaineer dome cars are manufactured by Stadler. I think they're definitely capable of building FRA compliant coaches.
That is true, but without a Tier 4 locomotive to pair with them, their bid would be incomplete unless they partnered with Bombardier.

Also, I can't find it right now, but in a much earlier statement, VIA Rail said they wanted something that is currently production (and I don't think they want bi-level dome cars ), but that might be too limiting.

Edit: I found the reference (https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/fil...ENGER_RAIL.pdf)

Quote:
The trainsets must be proven in service or made up of proven elements, and either be in production or quickly be ready for production in order to minimize lead time.

Last edited by roger1818; Jun 19, 2018 at 3:06 PM. Reason: Added reference

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:02 PM

Quote:
What makes you think that? Similar to the Trillium Line, they are running on dedicated track, so they may have received an exemption. Also, they are FLIRT160 trains, which are regional trains (likely what OC Transpo is buying).
The FLIRTs built for Fort Worth apparently meet the FRA's "Alternative Vehicle Technology" crashworthiness requirements.
https://www.stadlerrail.com/en/meta/...s-flirt-train/
Supposedly, this allows them to operate with other FRA-compliant vehicles.

Whether it's 160 or 200, the designs of both could probably be adapted.

Quote:
That is true, but without a Tier 4 locomotive to pair with them, their bid would be incomplete unless they partnered with Bombardier.

Also, I can't find it right now, but in a much earlier statement, VIA Rail said they wanted something that is currently production (and I don't think they want bi-level dome cars ), but that might be too limiting.
That's true. Perhaps they'd also team up with another manufacturer..

Speaking of bi-levels, Bombardier does manufacture those...

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post
The FLIRTs built for Fort Worth apparently meet the FRA's "Alternative Vehicle Technology" crashworthiness requirements.
https://www.stadlerrail.com/en/meta/...s-flirt-train/
Supposedly, this allows them to operate with other FRA-compliant vehicles.
"Alternative Vehicle Technology" (AVT) crashworthiness is a modification of the FRA's standards which allows transit systems to use European designs. I gather one of the conditions for receiving an AVT waver is that is some degree of separation with freight rail vehicles be maintained.

Quote:
Whether it's 160 or 200, the designs of both could probably be adapted.
As I said, I don't think anything needs to be adapted, it is a waver that must be applied for under special conditions.

Quote:
That's true. Perhaps they'd also team up with another manufacturer..
True, the problem is I only know of 2 Tier 4 passenger locomotives (Bombardier and Siemens). GE makes a Tier 4 freight locomotive, but it will be designed for slower, heavier trains.

Quote:
Speaking of bi-levels, Bombardier does manufacture those...
LOL

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:38 PM

Quote:
"Alternative Vehicle Technology" (AVT) crashworthiness is a modification of the FRA's standards which allows transit systems to use European designs. I gather one of the conditions for receiving an AVT waver is that is some degree of separation with freight rail vehicles be maintained.
With the introduction of PTC in the US, gaining a waiver for these types of operations will probably become easier, but since there isn't widespread implementation of PTC in Canada I guess this wouldn't matter for VIA in their considerations for rolling stock. It'll be interesting to see what Stadler ends up proposing.

Quote:
As I said, I don't think anything needs to be adapted, it is a waver that must be applied for under special conditions.
In the DCTA document I linked they mentioned that they modified the design of the GTW to be closer to meeting FRA compliance. While it didn't make it fully compliant, it made getting a waiver easier.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 4:56 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Wow... that's one ugly loco!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation