HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 3:25 PM
There is always a way

Anyone catch the attendance for last night?

Otherwise jets looked really strong last night. Our best players came to play.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Anyone catch the attendance for last night?

Otherwise jets looked really strong last night. Our best players came to play.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 4:58 PM

who cares about attendance, let's focus about product on the ice. near the top of the central right now. that trend keeps going, attendance will increase.

(and on a political rant, if we had less carbon tax on our home heating, car fuel, groceries, etc more can afford luxury items like Jets tickets (or afford to feed their family))

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
who cares about attendance, let's focus about product on the ice. near the top of the central right now. that trend keeps going, attendance will increase.

(and on a political rant, if we had less carbon tax on our home heating, car fuel, groceries, etc more can afford luxury items like Jets tickets (or afford to feed their family))
Jets: I agree the Jets attendance should improve as the product develops. They've been playing some exciting hockey, and after the competition from the Bombers ends this weekend, I hope we see average attendance continuing to improve (and and end the the Sun's recent habit of asking every ex-Jet that comes to town how horrified they are about the team's attendance)

Carbon Tax: Does increase some costs but nearly the disaster it's made out to be

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...gary-1.6960189

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 6:38 PM

BUT TRUDEAU!!!!!!

He's finally been outted as the reason for the Jets woes!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post

Carbon Tax: Does increase some costs but nearly the disaster it's made out to be

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...gary-1.6960189
your article is from early Sep, this article is from Nov and the "tone" has definitely changed. On Oct. 30, Macklem introduced a new angle, stating that the elimination of the carbon tax would lead to a one-time drop of 0.60 percentage points in the inflation rate due to accumulated tax increases over the years. This essentially means that, with our current inflation rate at 3.8%, the carbon tax is responsible for 16% of inflation.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...n-tax-missteps

"

I'm in the transportation industry and I can tell you every cent (and more) we get charged, we pass it on to the customer (retailer, wholesaler, etc) and I guarantee they pass it on to their customer and that is you or I at the grocery store or hardware store.

Go JETS Go

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 7:05 PM

While some Jets season ticket holders are feeling unappreciated (and I'm not suggesting they're wrong), some players have a very positive view of Chipman and the organization:

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/hocke...hipman-support

IMO this seems similar to the "good vibes" the current Bomber regime has established with their players. While it's on a different scale with different issues, the NHL Jets would probably benefit from getting this image of the team "out there" as much as the CFL Bombers have benefitted.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 5:57 PM

Well I'm glad there are good vibes in the locker room. Turn that into a great on ice product, and attendance will improve.

Simply can not compare Jets and Bombers at this point. If the Jets were on 4 consecutive championship runs, I'm sure attendance would be much stronger.

Vice versa. If Bombers were in the dumps, I'm also sure Jets attendance would be somewhat stronger. Others here may not agree. But I don't see how one could deny there is a link between both attendance numbers at the current time.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Well I'm glad there are good vibes in the locker room. Turn that into a great on ice product, and attendance will improve.

Simply can not compare Jets and Bombers at this point. If the Jets were on 4 consecutive championship runs, I'm sure attendance would be much stronger.

Vice versa. If Bombers were in the dumps, I'm also sure Jets attendance would be somewhat stronger. Others here may not agree. But I don't see how one could deny there is a link between both attendance numbers at the current time.
The whole "put a better product on the ice" argument is getting so old, especially when the Jets are playing well and you look at teams that have been so much worse for so much longer, like Buffalo, Ottawa, Edmonton - and they're still drawing bigger crowds than us. Sure the bombers are good, turns out it's much easier to win a championship in a league with 9 teams than one with 32, go figure.

Hockey fans here are all act like the most toxic hockey parents - unless you're consistently the best then you're an embarrassing failure. Gotta be among the most fickle fans in all of pro sports. Most fanbases understand that their team will only win a championship once or twice in their lifetime. It's simple statistics. If people simply didn't buy tickets unless the team was a bonafide championship contender then most major league teams would have empty buildings most of the time.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 4:23 PM
the first stamp is free

^ winning is great, but I would argue they need to make it fun again to be a spectator. It just isn't that fun at Jets games anymore. It used to be fun, even while the team was mostly bad.

Bombers games in comparison - are fun.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ winning is great, but I would argue they need to make it fun again to be a spectator. It just isn't that fun at Jets games anymore. It used to be fun, even while the team was mostly bad.

Bombers games in comparison - are fun.
I agree the Jets games used to be more fun, but I think it had more to do with a younger crowd stirring things up with their creative heckles and loud cheering/booing. Now that a good portion of the young ticket groups have disbanded it tends to be really quiet in the building. More Tuesday night games hasn't helped with creating a good atmosphere.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 4:40 PM

Fair enough. It's all about supporting the team. And when the team is mediocre, it doesn't help the lackluster game experience.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 5:04 PM
the first stamp is free

^ Nothing 50% off beer and cocktails on weekday games can't fix...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 4:16 PM
BANNED

11300 last night for the Jets, tell me the arena location isn't a huge factor in declining attendance!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
11300 last night for the Jets, tell me the arena location isn't a huge factor in declining attendance!
Was it a factor during 10+ years of sellouts? Poor marketing and inflation are the two main factors.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 7:28 PM

Arena location has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with Jets attendance, Kiss and Jonas Brothers both sold out with concerts this week .

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 11:05 PM

WOW, the attendance numbers are becoming a real concern. The team is quite good and worth watching. Is Jets management doing anything to try to increase those dreadful numbers?

It would be terrible if it continues. Hate to lose the team again.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 3:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
Was it a factor during 10+ years of sellouts? Poor marketing and inflation are the two main factors.
Post Covid downtown Winnipeg isn't a pretty sight, 2023 downtown Winnipeg a far cry from 2013 or even 2018!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
Thank you for being a voice of reason in this echo chamber of exaggerated hysteria.

Anyway, B2B wins, only 2 losses in the last 15 games and we are creeping up in the ranks. Give me a Grey Cup victory on Sunday and I'm an over-the-moon happy local sports fan.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
WOW, the attendance numbers are becoming a real concern. The team is quite good and worth watching. Is Jets management doing anything to try to increase those dreadful numbers?

It would be terrible if it continues. Hate to lose the team again.
Are you a Flamers or a Knuckleheads fan?

In case you haven't notice, at least half the league is suffering attendance issues. This team isn't going anywhere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan