HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Taxes that come from federal income tax that we all pay into, Manitobans and Albertans alike. On an individual basis, they don't pay anymore than anyone else in the country.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-...alization.html
Although I can't say I agree with the previous poster, I think it's ridiculous to spin this as if Manitoba and Alberta are equal in the grand scheme of things. While it may be true that both provinces pay equal amounts into the equalisation program, that is not telling the real story.

For over 60 years, Alberta has been paying into the program without receiving anything in return. To a lesser extent, this is true with Ontario and BC as well. However, provinces like Manitoba, Quebec, and the Maritime have taken out more than they have put in.

So it's disingenuous to imply that it is a "fair" system, when certain provinces always take from the pot, while others never receive anything in return.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 5:46 PM

What disingenuous is suggesting that Albertans pay more for any reason other than being richer than other Canadians on average. Frankly, it is like me complaining that I receive less assistance than those on welfare get. It's literally the entire point of the program.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 7:00 PM

An interesting article on this topic which seems to have hijacked the Winnipeg Jets thread (just doing my bit!!)

https://albertaworker.ca/politics/de...tion-payments/

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
An interesting article on this topic which seems to have hijacked the Winnipeg Jets thread (just doing my bit!!)

Exactly its a federal program Alberta doesn't contribute we all do. It gets very tiresome how the oil under Albertans feet somehow makes them feel like they should dictate and budget for all Canadians. Just be grateful you have that resource revenue cushion while you do.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Exactly its a federal program Alberta doesn't contribute we all do. It gets very tiresome how the oil under Albertans feet somehow makes them feel like they should dictate and budget for all Canadians. Just be grateful you have that resource revenue cushion while you do.
It gets very tiresome how some Manitobans continue to bite the hand that feeds them.

The irony of all this Alberta envy, is if Alberta ever was to separate from Canada, they would be in much better position to thrive than the rest of the country. Unlike Quebec, who actually asked the US if Quebec could be able to join America in the case of a "No" vote in 1980 (Lesveque notoriously loved America from his WW2 days), and the US quickly shot that idea down for obvious reasons.

Accepting Alberta as the 51st state would be salivating for America, with all the oil and gas resources. Canada needs to start being more appreciative to the regions who butter their bread. If Alberta broke off form Canada, Manitoba would be majorly screwed. As a province, we need to start pulling our weight soon. There is such a defeatist attitude here that people would rather attack a richer province, than look in the mirror, and better itself.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
It gets very tiresome how some Manitobans continue to bite the hand that feeds them.

The irony of all this Alberta envy, is if Alberta ever was to separate from Canada, they would be in much better position to thrive than the rest of the country. Unlike Quebec, who actually asked the US if Quebec could be able to join America in the case of a "No" vote in 1980 (Lesveque notoriously loved America from his WW2 days), and the US quickly shot that idea down for obvious reasons.

Accepting Alberta as the 51st state would be salivating for America, with all the oil and gas resources. Canada needs to start being more appreciative to the regions who butter their bread. If Alberta broke off form Canada, Manitoba would be majorly screwed. As a province, we need to start pulling our weight soon. There is such a defeatist attitude here that people would rather attack a richer province, than look in the mirror, and better itself.
What WE do you speak of? You left the province years ago for the land of your hero Danielle Smith. If anyone is defeatist and gave up on Manitoba it would be yourself as the others on here still live here and try to make a life for themselves in Manitoba. Manitobans don't need to say thank you thank you because Alberta won the lottery and got oil under their feet like the Beverly hillbillies. And again equalization is a federal program the formula would be adjusted if Alberta left.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 3:10 AM

Quote:
What WE do you speak of? You left the province years ago for the land of your hero Danielle Smith. If anyone is defeatist and gave up on Manitoba it would be yourself as the others on here still live here and try to make a life for themselves in Manitoba. Manitobans don't need to say thank you thank you because Alberta won the lottery and got oil under their feet like the Beverly hillbillies. And again equalization is a federal program the formula would be adjusted if Alberta left.
I'll be back....

And I am going to make things happen for this province.

The election made me come around and see.

I think everything will be alright with the NDP.

I think the Jets have what it takes this year too. They will win the cup.

(sorry I got carried away. I was watching Wolf on Wall Street last night).

Last edited by BlackDog204; Oct 29, 2023 at 1:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I'll be back....

And I am going to make things happen for this province.

The election made me come around and see.

I think everything will be alright with the NDP.

I think the Jets have what it takes this year too. They will win the cup.

(sorry I got carried away. I was watching Wolf on Wall Street last night).

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 3:53 PM

What I find sad and frustrating about this "we'll separate/ we don't need them" bar-room bravado, is that this populist nonsense can actually become public policy by governments who want to exploit and grow dissatisfaction for their own gain, rather than discuss things factually and encourage cooperation.

Yes, Alberta contributed more to the federal coffers than other provinces; it made more money from it's vast resource revenues. It also benefits from it's position in Canada, though some people there would apparently rather have Stampede bull stomp on their privates than admit to that.

Sadly, it seems to require it's adherents to become moral contortionists, at once boasting of their wealth while condemning regions who receive equalization, and at the same time adopting the posture of the "victim" of confederation.

This has been going on for a long time. Back in the 80's friends from Calgary who visited Winnipeg would never fail to loudly complain to each other about the PST whenever they bought something at a local checkout ("I forgot...there's PST here....I guess I should have waited until I was back home...")

Some Albertans seems to want displays of respect and acknowledgment of their contributions to the country. Fair enough, but respect has to work both ways. You don't offer a hand out and then condemn someone for taking it.

As the adage goes, "To whom much is given, much will be required". Alberta has been given vast, profitable natural resources. They were not put there by any political philosophy or virtue of character. Everyone will benefit, including Alberta, if they accept the builder's role, rather than the detractor's.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 5:03 PM

Only 11800 for Blake Wheeler game last night. Even in the 80s and 90s at the old arena jets 1.0 would usually get 12500 to 13500 on average nights and would usually sell out if Gretzky or a big star came to town. Something very wrong with how true north is selling tickets and marketing the club.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Only 11800 for Blake Wheeler game last night. Even in the 80s and 90s at the old arena jets 1.0 would usually get 12500 to 13500 on average nights and would usually sell out if Gretzky or a big star came to town. Something very wrong with how true north is selling tickets and marketing the club.
Post game interview when drilled by reporter (I think Paul Friessen), Wheeler had some great things

“You’ve just got to be careful, because you don’t know what people are going through,” he said. “And obviously, economically, times aren’t necessarily as good as they’ve ever been.”

“Go to any bar in town and they’re probably full, watching games,” Wheeler said. “I’m sure the majority of TV’s in town are watching every game, every night. Obviously you’d love to see a rocking building every night and have it full. It just may not be an option for some people. But I know that everyone’s heart still beats with this team.”

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 7:08 PM

Until True North marketing and sales get their heads out of their the sand there will be attendance issues.

1. Start by accepting that you drop the ball and need people to buy tickets.
2. Treat everyone buying tickets with respect.
3. Make people making a season long commitment to multiple games feel valued.
4. Look at what other clubs do to get butts in seats, for example the old last minute club from Phoenix. Basically the closer to puck drop the cheaper tickets get and notice goes out in waves to people on your marketing communication list.
5. Dedicate some blocks of tickets to the True North Youth Foundation and start getting kids hockey teams back in the stands.
6. Establish a partnership with the military to get a service member of the game recognized and if possible heavily lean it to the airforce to further build on that lose association the team has tried to establish.
7. How about marketing heavily discounted tickets to people with any multigame pack say a week before the game?
8. True North likes to drop free tickets to lower tier stuff on account holders so why not randomly drop Jets bonus tickets onto accounts for lower attendance games.

At this point an empty seat doesn't buy any concessions or merch. Also the empty seats look horrible as no one feels any urgency to get tickets any sooner than "last minute".

If the team can get back to the point that there are not thousands of seats available at puck drop it could go a great ways to slowing the attendance issues. At this point though it is almost more beneficial to be waiting to the absolute last minute to see how low secondary ticket prices will drop.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 7:20 PM
the first stamp is free

The issue TNSE has is that if they heavily discount tickets or offer package deals with included food, swag etc. to fill in empty seats they piss off existing season ticket holders.

If they don't heavily discount tickets they won't sell out for the foreseeable future.

The trick is finding the sweet spot to filling seats without pissing off season ticket holders who paid full boat for their seats.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 7:29 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The issue TNSE has is that if they heavily discount tickets or offer package deals with included food, swag etc. to fill in empty seats they piss off existing season ticket holders.

If they don't heavily discount tickets they won't sell out for the foreseeable future.

The trick is finding the sweet spot to filling seats without pissing off season ticket holders who paid full boat for their seats.
You won't. The only way they can balance that is by giving season ticket holders some form of rebate as well. It was the main reason we gave up our tickets last year- people were sitting in discounted seats next to us and getting free beer and hot dogs and we were sitting in our season ticket seats having paid full price with 20 percent off concessions.

I wrote to them last year and suggested a Coop type model where season ticket holders would get money back on their season tickets for funds spent on merchandise and concessions as a way to balance it out. I was told, "thanks for your ideas, we will take that into account for next season."

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 7:30 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
You won't. The only way they can balance that is by giving season ticket holders some form of rebate as well. It was the main reason we gave up our tickets last year- people were sitting in discounted seats next to us and getting free beer and hot dogs and we were sitting in our season ticket seats having paid full price with 20 percent off concessions.

I wrote to them last year and suggested a Coop type model where season ticket holders would get money back on their season tickets for funds spent on merchandise and concessions as a way to balance it out. I was told, "thanks for your ideas, we will take that into account for next season."
Same reason our ticket group dissolved after last season as well.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 7:35 PM

Other arenas would have low attendance, and they would offer tickets for like ten bucks (Florida), Some offered free parking and a hot dog (Coyotes).

Being in Canada, we shouldn't be worried per se about filling the arena for hockey, but here we are. Economically, people are feeling the pinch, and a lot of season ticket holders were groups. If you have one person who can't do it anymore because of variable rates (which happened to one friend of mine) or another who says I only want to go to a couple now (another person I know). It's going to be difficult to fill it back up. I do believe we will slowly get back to capacity (we have a lot of hockey fans in the city), but it's going to take a couple of years, the sharing with others (STH) really hurt attendance cause it was just a house of cards waiting to collapse.

To fix this, I honestly think Corporate Canada needs to be more involved. 15%?!? that's just ridiculous.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 7:37 PM

I think the lack of government workers not being in office Monday to Friday is hurting more than they let on. As no one goes downtown in their free time especially during winter months unless they have to as the ease bombers are selling tickets being based in South Winnipeg is becoming starker and starker (yes I know nhl and cfl are apples and oranges)

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 9:04 PM

Quote:
I think the lack of government workers not being in office Monday to Friday is hurting more than they let on. As no one goes downtown in their free time especially during winter months unless they have to as the ease bombers are selling tickets being based in South Winnipeg is becoming starker and starker (yes I know nhl and cfl are apples and oranges)

This is so full of BS.

I know a hard core Jets fan that works for the provincial government. Their group had more than two tickets through the end of last season. How TNSE treated season ticket holders, the availability of single game tickets and the headaches with having a longer season pass were all factors in them giving up their season tickets. Reality is the initial base of STH heavily leaned into the younger end of GenX and the older end of Millennials. The GenX end are retired to getting close to it. Being out to almost 10 pm on a workday to attend a Jets game on a weeknight really gets to be harder on you as you get older. The Millennials on the other hand are at the peak demands for family life in a lot of case having teens or young adults they are supporting. Those ages have a way of draining finances and consuming any available time of the parents leaving minimal time to attend Jets games. For a lot of the demographic under 40 now their financial struggles are a lot more real making a luxury like Jets tickets a challenge in their life. Also as they were not hooked up in the return in 2011 they don't have a tight emotional connection to the team. Also for the most part the under 40 group is too young to have lived through the departure in 96.

As for the Bombers they heavily pull STH from across the whole province including all parts of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 9:30 PM

Thats a demographics remark doesn't change from the fact that the amount of people with disposable income downtown in the evenings is markedly down post covid-19. To be drawing 2000 less fans a game then in the 80s when the city was only 600,000 people is alarming. There are several reasons poor true north treatment of ticket holders struggling downtown poor corporate outreach by true North and 2 summers of constant negative stories of players and coaches not wanting to be here and very expensive tickets and food and bevies

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post

This is so frustrating to read, as this has been an issue long before the Jets came back, and is the main reason I passed on Moose packages. Their PR department is horrible, and treats it's customers like shit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan