HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 2:35 AM

I'm shocked Metallica agreed to play under this piece of garbage, I know Guns n Roses is banned from Olympic Stadium (unfairly so I believe) but even they wouldn't play under this 'thing', no reputable musician would subject their fans to having to look this disgrace, no one would agree to perform under this dumpy thing !

Would not be surprised if Metallica was paid off to perform, bribed, offered danger pay or extra incentive pay or offered free rent for the show to play under this disgrace.

This is clearly the most disgraceful roof ever built over any stadium in history. Shame on Montreal !

Last edited by northernlights99; Feb 23, 2024 at 2:55 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlights99 View Post
....this piece of garbage....this 'thing'....this disgrace....this dumpy thing....
Please, for the sake of our collective sanity, give it a rest and talk about something - anything - else.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 3:04 AM
I am the law!

I'm still entertained. I mean saying the writers should do more research and talking about wrecking balls that can launch objects just like a failed implosion. Today It's done by concrete pulverizers attach to high reaching excavators. Extremely accurate and efficient

Implosion of post tension structures has been considered the safest option for decades after a number of operators have been seriously injured by cables releasing their energy undergoing demolition. Armour, reaches of 35 metres or more between the operator and the point of demolition, pin point accuracy using pulverizers and sheers should make a cable snapping back rarer and safer to the operator.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 4:27 AM

When will BMO Field start renovations for the World Cup in 2026?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 4:50 AM

Pulverizing the concrete and creating a cloud of Asbestos in the air over Montreal and other toxic fumes / chemicals to sicken residents living in that area ? Not a smart political move.

How much Asbestos is inside Olympic Stadium ? Don't count on the Government to reveal the answer.

Better make sure the workers are wearing masks, they will need them; protect the workers first, the health of residents living in the area is secondary? That is a very poor argument to do a demolition. Giving residents masks to wear won't win the government votes in 2026.

Not a good option to tear it down, removing the Asbestos and other toxic materials that may be inside the walls would be Very expensive to remove. In this case, a cost of $ 700 million to one billion is believable.

If you've been to that area there are thousands of residents that live in and around that sector.

There are many older brick apartment buildings right across the street from the Stadium. The towers that housed the Athletes Village in 1976 are still there, converted to Residential units, right across from Olympic Park at Sherbrooke and Viau.

I still maintain that AFTER the Roof ring (Technical ring as sometimes referred to) is fully Repaired, the Stadium should be left as Open air. Leave the cover off. At least for a year or two.

Let there be Sports events and Concerts in there during 2025 including an Outdoor hockey game and guage public opinion then.

Maybe the public will prefer it to remain Open air. Give it one or two years of events outside and hear what the public has to say, they may like it.

And having the cover off will improve Acoustics immeasurably, less echo / reverb, the sound at concerts will have somewhere to escape.

And if the decision is made to leave it Open air, it will save a ton of money, that may attract public support.

Here it is, No center roof, looks fine to me.

Roof or No roof, which do you prefer ?

Last edited by northernlights99; Mar 4, 2024 at 8:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 5:30 PM

A few external shots of our New Velodrome. Substantial sometime this summer and then the track can go in.

The contractors site has had some interior shots.

[IMG]Coronation Velodrome by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/ti[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]Coronation Velodrome by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Has there been any full articles or info on the composition of the roof itself?

I am assuming it has been already decided upon and not going out for tender and that Groupe Construction Pomerleau-Canam already has the finished design.

Is the big middle part translucent and the outer ring (that in the drawings looks blue) transparent.

Some further clarification from sbp

sbp was selected by the Société du Parc Olympique in 2018, along with gmp architects and WSP

For more than five years, sbp has worked with gmp Architects and WSP to support the client in defining the design intent and technical requirements for this project.

The new structure will be fixed and feature glass cladding allowing natural light into the interior of the stadium.

In addition, the heavy concrete technical ring will be replaced by a new, lightweight steel frame that replicates the shape of the original design.

The renovation of the roof is divided into three parts: the dismantling of the present roof, the dismantling and replacement of the technical ring and the installation of the new roof.

The new inner roof structure is composed of a steel truss dome, and is partly suspended from the tower, partly supported by the stadium ribs, allowing it to elegantly “hover” above the existing venue.

To keep the reference to the original roof, the deck is waterproofed with a white PVC layer. On the inside, the structure is cladded with a glass/PTFE liner which is indirectly illuminated.

The translucent outer ring (glazed roof) will be somewhat comparable in area to the inner roof.

Technical Data
Inner Roof 10,000 m²
Glazed Roof 7,000 m²

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 9:31 PM

They are spending too much money And more importantly TIME on this.

I still maintain leave it as Open air for a year or two to permit outdoor events. Summer is beautiful in Montreal, give the Stadium a chance to shine as an outdoor venue for concerts and sports.

They speak of 3 phases, I would assume there will be a gap in time between the second and third phases.

Also can't figure how it takes 4 years to do this roof when some entire Stadiums have been built in 2 years. Fishy.

but it sounds like the diaper looking roof will indeed finally be taken off as the contract is signed. Done deal. No turning back now.

Petitions to reverse this are now irrelevant.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...roof-1.7137039

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
....diaper looking roof....
Please stop.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
Please stop.
Please stop feeding the troll, it took me a while to stop being entertained but I did. Like all trolls, ignore and they go away.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 2:22 PM
early dogecoin investor

Siteplans for the Calgary Event Centre were released this week alongside and updated development permit. We get a good idea of the overall shape of the new rink but renders haven't been released yet.

However from my understanding it will look similar on the interior to Little Caesar's Arena in Detroit.

Major changes from the last render and plan for the site include:
A 90º orientation change, the rink will now face east-west as oppose to north-south
A focus on 12th Avenue, with a large public plaza backing onto the street. This changes from the old which had a plaza facing onto Stampede Trail.
Parking structure has been moved underground

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 1:54 PM

Can't wait to see renderings.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 9:35 AM

Quote:
What about the Champlain Bridge, another waste of money ? 5 billion bucks. Did people complain then about that ? Let the bridge fall into the river along with the cars crossing it so the Govt has some money left over for the homeless.
Speaking of Montreal Infrastructure

What's your thoughts on the Roof replacement at the Big O?

I think it looks beautiful and timeless and is a Wonderful use of tax dollars as that building could never operate without a roof.

Please be detailed in your response as I will not be persuaded by short form mediocre opinions.

Anyway, Its been a while. Just wanted to drop in and say Hi fellas.

Last edited by Oilkountry; Mar 10, 2024 at 12:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 10:56 PM

This is what I'm proposing, Reinforce the Roof ring and keep the stadium as Open Air for a year of two, as this shows. Even if just for two years during the 4 year construction timeline.

So many concerts and sporting events you can have in the sunshine. Imagine watching Lionel Messi with 56,000 under the stars on an August night.

Granted these pics were a long time ago but the current overhang roof Does Not need the opening covered to keep it held up. That is the function of the Technical ring which needs to be reinforced.

It is designed as an Open air stadium with Option of Retractable covering. If the overhang needed the center part covered for structural support, the stadium would never have opened in 1976.

I believe this is what Premier Lego is referring to as the 'stadium's glory days'.

Olympic Stadium was indeed an Open air venue from 1976 thru to 1988 when the Retractable roof was added.

The Expos played in the sunshine for their first 12 seasons in the Stadium. Pink Floyd in 1978 was in Open air as were many other events.

I believe the Stadium can still be used as an Open air venue, if the Will is there to make this happen.

If they just want to close this Stadium for 4 years under the argument that the Stadium is never used so just stretch out the construction schedule, and not give that a chance of an Open air venue from happening, then I guess my idea won't come to fruition.

The kicker will be an announcement of a Major event coming next year, that would get things rolling mighty quickly.

I think fans will really turn on to the idea of being outside.

Problem is, this was so long ago, many people today aren't old enough to recall what it was like out in the elements. They recall the current blue roof and the retractable orange roof but nothing before that.

So for those of you that doubt the Stadium's viablity without a roof ( on a short term basis only ), these pics are your proof.

Last edited by northernlights99; Mar 12, 2024 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 2:41 AM

Quote:
This is what I'm proposing, Reinforce the Roof ring and keep the stadium as Open Air for a year of two, as this shows. Even if just for two years during the 4 year construction timeline.

So many concerts and sporting events you can have in the sunshine. Imagine watching Lionel Messi with 56,000 under the stars on an August night.

Granted these pics were a long time ago but the current overhang roof Does Not need the opening covered to keep it held up. That is the function of the Technical ring which needs to be reinforced.

It is designed as an Open air stadium with Option of Retractable covering. If the overhang needed the center part covered for structural support, the stadium would never have opened in 1976.

I believe this is what Premier Lego is referring to as the 'stadium's glory days'.

Olympic Stadium was indeed an Open air venue from 1976 thru to 1988 when the Retractable roof was added.

The Expos played in the sunshine for their first 12 seasons in the Stadium. Pink Floyd in 1978 was in Open air as were many other events.

I believe the Stadium can still be used as an Open air venue, if the Will is there to make this happen.

If they just want to close this Stadium for 4 years under the argument that the Stadium is never used so just stretch out the construction schedule, and not give that a chance of an Open air venue from happening, then I guess my idea won't come to fruition.

The kicker will be an announcement of a Major event coming next year, that would get things rolling mighty quickly.

I think fans will really turn on to the idea of being outside.

Problem is, this was so long ago, many people today aren't old enough to recall what it was like out in the elements. They recall the current blue roof and the retractable orange roof but nothing before that.

So for those of you that doubt the Stadium's viablity without a roof ( on a short term basis only ), these pics are your proof.

Wrong, All of it. You need to do your research

Stadium has to be covered it cant be open air because of the Air patterns, its Science. Its never held a roofless event.

4 Years is perfectly acceptable for a construction timeline. I'm surprised they aren't taking 6 just to be safe

and 750M is a bargain for an elegant roof and almost every tax payer in montreal is thrilled about funding it from what I gather.

You're wrong.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 4:30 AM

Oil, you need to smack yourself with some research. Olympic stadium held thousands of events without a roof, or at least a complete roof.

Wrong, wrong, wrong...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 11:03 AM

Yeah, the first 11 years of the building's existence were without a roof. Including the reason the place was built in the first place.

I do wonder what Montreal would have built for a baseball stadium had they not got the Olympics, and would the Expos still be around now if they had been in a more baseball specific building. Or would they have just done something like the other 70's saucer multipurpose stadiums that wouldn't have been any better.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 4:45 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^I suspect the latter (multipurpose).

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 4:59 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Oil, you need to smack yourself with some research. Olympic stadium held thousands of events without a roof, or at least a complete roof.

Wrong, wrong, wrong...
Pretty sure he was baiting the troll

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 7:38 PM

Bound to be a couple of Jays fans on this forum so I'll post this here too. These folks are fast.

Rogers Centre Renovations | Phase 2 | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous l nearing completion

This is why it’ll never be Rogers Center… it’s SkyDome!! Open in March lol. Almost done the Phase 2 renos reshaping/aiming the rest of all seating from the outfield to behind the plate.

The construction management team deserves applause to pull this off in just 5 months. Maybe hire them to complete The One (from 56 to 91 floors in just 9 months lol).

ChesterCopperpot

Late November:

ChesterCopperpot

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada