HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 1:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
NDP MP (rarely on Parliament Hill) billed taxpayers for travel with family over Christmas
Niki Ashton billed taxpayers for $17K trip to meet 'stakeholders' over the Christmas break
John Paul Tasker · CBC News · Posted: Jun 13, 2024 5:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 5 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ndp...ebec-1.7233256

Sounds like some "progressives" are living pretty high off the hog. I feel so "inspired" by their dedication to the cause.........
Written in 1945. Essential reading for 2024.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 1:42 PM

I feel guilty using a $30 Uber to get to my PT test on a day when I was pressed for time with multiple work commitments. And I got grief for it at work for not planning better. These mofos having vacations on the taxpayer's dime. Ridiculous.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 1:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
NDP MP (rarely on Parliament Hill) billed taxpayers for travel with family over Christmas
Niki Ashton billed taxpayers for $17K trip to meet 'stakeholders' over the Christmas break
John Paul Tasker · CBC News · Posted: Jun 13, 2024 5:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 5 hours ago

Sounds like some "progressives" are living pretty high off the hog. I feel so "inspired" by their dedication to the cause.........
^utterly shameless.

A billion times worse than Bev Oda's $16 orange juice.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 1:52 PM

Numerically, it’s indeed more than 1,000 times worse than that infamous OJ

Another factor of course (which I’m guessing is your point; it was MonctonRad’s too) is that overspending on personal luxury is more unforgivable when coming from a supposedly “workers” party.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 1:54 PM

This is the same woman who flew off to Greece for Christmas to visit her “sick”grandmother while other Canadians couldn’t even visit their dying relatives in hospital.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 1:57 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
@Acajack Is "Indigenous folks" now the official government term?

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 2:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
@Acajack Is "Indigenous folks" now the official government term?
I do my best based on what I hear but I'm not the authority on official Canadian government terminology!

Sorry if I gave you guys the impression that I was.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I feel guilty using a $30 Uber to get to my PT test on a day when I was pressed for time with multiple work commitments. And I got grief for it at work for not planning better. These mofos having vacations on the taxpayer's dime. Ridiculous.
They get a travel budget and there is a pretty wide definition of work related meetings. Doing it right over Christmas looks bad but everyone times work travel with vacations. Not sure why she is getting criticized also for a one day trip to Windsor. Seems a bit like a hit job.

What are you supposed to do for PT. Take the bus? Surely your time is worth more than $30? Government are so ridiculous with pretending to save pennies and wasting dollars. And for sure this money she spent is pennies too. We spent $30 million to find out Duffy have a few extra meals claimed which was the biggest scandal of the whole Harper government. Bet we'd rather have a few wasted meals rather than current wasteful spending (accepting my wasteful spending is your X program and vice versa)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 3:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

It's mentioned recently that thewave46 had left the forum.

I did a recent search in old threads and came across lots of posts from esquire, who was from Winnipeg.

I really liked exchanging with him too. Looks like he left the forum last fall some time.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's mentioned recently that thewave46 had left the forum.

I did a recent search in old threads and came across lots of posts from esquire, who was from Winnipeg.

I really liked exchanging with him too. Looks like he left the forum last fall some time.
If I die in an accident tomorrow, I doubt my heirs' first reaction will be to log onto SSP to inform you guys. I assume this is true of 99% of members here

When someone stops posting without an explanation / without making a big scene about their departure, it's a realistic assumption... almost more likely than the hypothesis of them abruptly abandoning a forum like this one after 15-20 years without a goodbye or any explanation whatsoever.

That said, hope esquire is well, I do miss his posts, he was always a cool participant

(I'm noting we both adopted the MonctonRad tradition of bolding other users' names!)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 3:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
If I die in an accident tomorrow, I doubt my heirs' first reaction will be to log onto SSP to inform you guys. I assume this is true of 99% of members here

When someone stops posting without an explanation / without making a big scene about their departure, it's a realistic assumption... almost more likely than the hypothesis of them abruptly abandoning a forum like this one after 15-20 years without a goodbye or any explanation whatsoever.

That said, hope esquire is well, I do miss his posts, he was always a cool participant

(I'm noting we both adopted the MonctonRad tradition of bolding other users' names!)
Esquire was a bit younger than me (maybe mid-40s?) so I really hope something very tragic didn't happen to him.

I think that sometimes people may drop out for other less tragic reasons, like a divorce or losing one's job and facing financial hardship.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 3:42 PM

Quote:

Wow that's dark. But probably not far off. Those of us who joined here young but 20 years ago are also getting up there and of course some joined already in middle age judging from memories of first Trudeau etc. That said people change habits too and maybe don't feel they need to say a big goodbye.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 3:55 PM
Fake News

I’ve also wondered about Esquire’s absence. Hopefully it’s not something serious. I wonder if thurmas is still with us.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I don't understand. How would increasing the GIS (to the poorest), but leaving OAS as it is, hurt middle to low income retirees?
Take 3 Seniors. Poor, Middle, and Rich.

Poor: Gets more from GIS. Good. Still living very modestly.

Middle: Doesn't qualify for GIS. OAS is frozen so they are getting poorer by the year (if this is what you mean).

Rich: Getting fat government checks they don't need.

The rich person should be cut off OAS while yes, GIS could increase.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Esquire was a bit younger than me (maybe mid-40s?) so I really hope something very tragic didn't happen to him.

I think that sometimes people may drop out for other less tragic reasons, like a divorce or losing one's job and facing financial hardship.
Wouldn't a divorce mean more SSP time, not less?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 4:11 PM

Quote:

I'm sure she's far more productive working from home. Like the bureaucrats ...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 4:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Wouldn't a divorce mean more SSP time, not less?
I dunno. Never been through one. Though I can assume that for the first while at least it might be a little messy: sorting out the house and other assets, places to live, who takes care of the kids and when and how, etc.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^utterly shameless.

A billion times worse than Bev Oda's $16 orange juice.
True. I wonder how she thinks the NDP is the right party for her.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 4:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I'm sure she's far more productive working from home. Like the bureaucrats ...
Facetious much???

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 4:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Take 3 Seniors. Poor, Middle, and Rich.

Poor: Gets more from GIS. Good. Still living very modestly.

Middle: Doesn't qualify for GIS. OAS is frozen so they are getting poorer by the year (if this is what you mean).

Rich: Getting fat government checks they don't need.

The rich person should be cut off OAS while yes, GIS could increase.
I suppose I am in the "rich" category (an OAS pensioner, but still working productively full time).

After clawbacks, I can absolutely assure you I am not receiving any such thing as a "fat government cheque." My monthly OAS cheque hovers in the $100 range - enough for a decent restaurant meal.

Thanks JT. That's less than 0.1% I pay into the system every year in taxes. I guess we're even now.........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada