HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 2:04 PM

Honestly the stadium looks significantly better without a roof.

Just take the room and make it permanently open air IMO

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 2:16 PM

The Surrey article mentioned a "arena/stadium" - what if they did a two-sided stadium that had rink on one side and outdoor field on the other, sharing concourses/facilities in the middle?

Like a better execution of TD Place in Ottawa, or the Leeds rugby/cricket stadium? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headingley_Stadium

6000 rink + 6000 field could be about right for WHL/semi pro hockey and maybe enticing Vancouver FC to relocate?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 9:59 PM

interesting that the interior renovations on Madison Square Garden costed One billion Anti-hero dollars in Swift Currency so the cost for Olympic Stadium isn't that outrageous when you consider its huge size :

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/c...eason%20either.

Last edited by northernlights99; Feb 20, 2024 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 10:56 PM

Merci. Finally an intelligent, well thought out opinion.

There is nothing wrong with leaving Olympic Stadium Open air for a year or two for Major events, just give it a chance.

They purposely timed the completion of the project (2027) to coincide with the ending of the Alouettes Lease with Mcgill Stadium. There will be opportunity before that time to have Olympic as Open air .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Honestly the stadium looks significantly better without a roof.

Just take the room and make it permanently open air IMO

Last edited by northernlights99; Feb 20, 2024 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlights99 View Post
interesting that the interior renovations on Madison Square Garden costed One billion Anti-hero dollars in Swift Currency so the cost for Olympic Stadium isn't that outrageous when you consider its huge size :

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/c...eason%20either.
It was also a multi-year gut job done between sports seasons in an inefficient manner, also at New York prices.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 11:41 PM

now we have the Taxpayers Federation shooting their mouths off, they know nothing about Engineering or project planning, all they know how to do is bitch and complain every time a project is announced.

How do they know the roof ring doesn't need replacement, are they challenging the Engineering reports ?

Are they claiming an Engineering company got "bribed" to say things about the technical ring needing replacement ? If so, show me evidence.

How do you figure you can compare Olympic Stadium's footprint with other demolished stadiums ? Taking down a large structure like that will clog streets with dump trucks, not to mention clouds of dust and excessive noise, there's apartments across street, even the Metro will be disrupted, can you imagine the vibration from all the jackhammaring ?

Every Stadium is different, every engineering scenario different including demolition planning. In the case of other mentioned Stadiums, some are out in middle of nowhere so demolishing may not be as big deal or costly.

I'm sure this matter has been studied by the Installations Committee, why does the Taxpayer Federation feel now they are experts on how this should be handled ?

If this was a U.S. city there would be support for a Stadium, all I hear now is negativity.

I'm sick and tired of this Taxpayer Federation, they are useless !

Furthermore and further explained below about another article written by people who know nothing of what they are writing about:

RFK Stadium has NOT been completely taken down, it is in the process of being gutted, final cost is not known ! So why use it as an example ?

The old Yankee Stadium was taken down in a Controlled Demolition !!! That is well known, video of the implosion on youtube.

A Controlled Demolition (Implosion) of Olympic Stadium is Not practical and has not been considered.

The Taxpayer Federation talks stupid, they know nothing of what they talk about. You want to do a fair cost comparison, cite examples of other stadiums that were taken down with a Wrecking Ball, and completely taken down with a Wrecking Ball, top to bottom, upper deck also, including arch roof !

Of course the cost estimates of imploded stadiums are going to be lower than those taken down slowly with wrecking ball, why the hell do they use that as a comparison with Olympic Stadium when they can only take it down with a Wrecking ball which could take 5 years by the time you cart away all the debris and repave the streets !

Idiots ! I hope the CTF gets the message !

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/taxpayer...roof-1.6775254

Last edited by northernlights99; Feb 21, 2024 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I'm still in the I don't know if I am annoyed or entertained stage. The Taylor Swift and diaper obsession is kinda pervy.
At this point I kind of hope they renovate and Taylor still skips Montreal, tbh.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 3:31 AM

Another article written by clowns who don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Another silly comparison of cost of Olympic Stadium take down versus other Stadiums.

First off look at the list of Stadiums !

RFK Stadium has NOT been completely torn down yet, it is being gutted, who knows what the final cost will be !!!!!

Yankee Stadium was taken down in a Controlled Demolition !!!!!

The RCA Dome was taken down in a Controlled Demolition !!!!!

The Pontiac Silverdome, Controlled Demolition !!!!!

Seattle's Kingdome, a Controlled Demolition !!!!!

Look on youtube, there is video of each implosion.

That is why the costs for taking down these stadiums is relatively low !!!!!!

Do people not get it thru their knoggins (assuming they have one) that the cost for taking down Olympic Stadium (or any stadium for that matter) in a Controlled Demolition would be low compared to using a Wrecking Ball !

In fact, that is common sense !

However a Controlled Demolition of Olympic Stadium is impractical and simply not possible, the shock wave would damage the brick residential building across the street and damage the Metro stations below.

The reason why the cost estimate for an Olympic Stadium deconstruction is high is cause a slow take down using Wrecking Ball will take considerable time and effort.

Maybe the writers of these stupid articles should do some research first !

I am not advocating they tear down Olympic simply cause its cheaper than renovating however the article uses an inappropriate comparison.

Do a fair comparison of costs assuming the SAME conditions and criteria. If you want to do a cost comparison, consider stadiums that were completely taken down with a Wrecking Ball, completely, including upper decks.

The writers of these articles shoot from the hip and their ignorance is nauseating ! I hope Dose gets the message.

https://dose.ca/2024/02/06/olympic-s...bec-laugh-101/

Last edited by northernlights99; Feb 21, 2024 at 4:19 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 4:35 AM

Time to ignore northern for me.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
At this point I kind of hope they renovate and Taylor still skips Montreal, tbh.
I concur

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Time to ignore northern for me.
Yes, I think I've reached my limit of the troll (noun and verb). Someone else will have to feed it.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 5:19 PM

Quote:
I concur
Press release saying they skipped due to safety concerns over certain online posts from exuberant "fans".

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 6:10 PM

Has there been any full articles or info on the composition of the roof itself?

I am assuming it has been already decided upon and not going out for tender and that Groupe Construction Pomerleau-Canam already has the finished design.

Is the big middle part translucent and the outer ring (that in the drawings looks blue) transparent. Will the rest of the stadium's upper region be painted black as shown in the drawing. The black looks cool in the photo but I don't know how that would be in person.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 7:23 PM

I forgot to add that I love the design, I don't know if they could have anything better that still fit in with the original concept. It just looks right.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Has there been any full articles or info on the composition of the roof itself?

I am assuming it has been already decided upon and not going out for tender and that Groupe Construction Pomerleau-Canam already has the finished design.

Is the big middle part translucent and the outer ring (that in the drawings looks blue) transparent. Will the rest of the stadium's upper region be painted black as shown in the drawing. The black looks cool in the photo but I don't know how that would be in person.

The CBC article says the "roof will be fixed, rigid and feature a transparent glass hoop" so it would appear that just the outer ring is clear.

I'm not sure why they can't make the entire thing transparent with today's more advanced materials but it may be even further added cost.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 1:09 AM
Ham-burgher

The odds are probably in favour of Swift getting a major reno of herself before Olympic Stadium does.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 1:31 AM

Quote:
I'm still in the I don't know if I am annoyed or entertained stage. The Taylor Swift and diaper obsession is kinda pervy.
Yes, they're definitely putting their lunacy on full display.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
The odds are probably in favour of Swift getting a major reno of herself before Olympic Stadium does.
Good article on the new approach being taken in the management of the construction (article in French).

The Beautiful Risk of the Stadium

The Olympic Park Development and Enhancement Company, which is leading the Stadium reconstruction project, and the consortium selected for the work, formed by Pomerleau and Canam, will work hand in hand using a “collaborative approach”.
Maxime Bergeron La Presse February 6 2024

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve61 View Post
The CBC article says the "roof will be fixed, rigid and feature a transparent glass hoop" so it would appear that just the outer ring is clear.

I'm not sure why they can't make the entire thing transparent with today's more advanced materials but it may be even further added cost.
Yes, I know that much, I'm just surprised why no reporter has bothered looking for extra details, unless we are still in the unfinished design phase.

I am asking myself the same thing as your second paragraph. Perhaps like the early Astrodome (before the roof was tinted) there could be glare problems, but the US Bank Stadium seems to have overcome that.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 7:56 PM

I remember reading a report on Olympic Stadium several years ago that claimed destroying the stadium would release a toxic dust cloud in Montreal comparable to that of the destruction of the Twin Towers during 9/11. Won't someone think of the children.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada