HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 6:12 AM

The Phoenix Trolley Museum may be forced to close.
http://downtowndevil.com/2016/02/12/...k-master-plan/

Instead of having tunnel vision that includes only tech and creative offices in the Warehouse District, it would be great if the City understood the importance of this cultural amenity and used this an opportunity to attract visitors to the Warehouse District and experience more of the city's history up close.

The McGinnis warehouse and adjacent land on Buchanan/Central would have been a great fit, but a Church purchased it instead - another lively tenant for the area. The Feed&Seed warehouse might work if the outdoor space is large enough; it would have great visibility and being along the UPRR tracks, could be expanded to be inclusive of Phoenix's freight history. If Sarver didn't suck, it could have made use of the St. James stump and adjacent land. And, there are the large warehouses along Lincoln near 7th Street, as well.

In a perfect world, the Museum would open inside Union Station with an operational streetcar line connecting Union Station to 7th Street/Grant via Jackson and 3rd Streets. At that end up would be the ASU Gallery, Bentley Projects, and a revitalized George Washington Carver Museum through a partnership with ASU. But, who wants culture in the few remaining historic buildings Phoenix has?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 6:18 AM

The Roosevelt BID may not be happening due to a lobbyist's legislation that is likely going to pass.

http://downtownphoenixjournal.com/20...es-challenges/

A huge disappointment if so. Clearly defining the area through marketing efforts and neighborhood amenities/features would be extremely beneficial to all businesses. But, the great ones that have opened south of Roosevelt would benefit most, as signage is desperately needed to direct visitors since the Roosevelt > Garfield is such a big gap.

Oh, and despite the parking surplus I was just bitching about, Nowakowski has recommended that more studying be done on expanding solutions for "the parking problem."

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 12:59 PM

It's actually not beneficial for all businesses, I can think of at least three who neve told me they didn't want it. The increase in property tax is significant.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
It's actually not beneficial for all businesses, I can think of at least three who neve told me they didn't want it. The increase in property tax is significant.
Well, that's why there is a formal process for implementing something like this. It seems like it was going to pass through that process, so I don't think it's at all fair to retroactively pass legislation denying them the right to form a District according to the same rules that others like Downtown Tempe have been able to.

Of course not every business will be happy. If they feel they won't see an ROI with the marketing and exposure they'll get through the BID, there are plenty of areas in Phoenix where they could relocate. If you want to take advantage of the popularity of Roosevelt Row, which is a result of a formal organization's efforts, you should be willing to contribute to the ongoing support of its growth.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 10:37 PM
self-important urbanista

Parking meters coming soon to some blocks in Evans-Churchill:

https://www.phoenix.gov/streetssite/...r-Updates.aspx

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 3:32 PM

I had absolutely no clue that this restaurant was going to be so large, I'm actually fairly excited to have it in the neighborhood. I used to visit Monroe's back in the late nineties and early 2000's until it closed, it will be nice to have that bar back open.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/resta...expect-8061568

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 3:53 PM

Quote:
I had absolutely no clue that this restaurant was going to be so large, I'm actually fairly excited to have it in the neighborhood. I used to visit Monroe's back in the late nineties and early 2000's until it closed, it will be nice to have that bar back open.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/resta...expect-8061568
Wow, same here. I had no idea. I'm mostly impressed they made the effort to slightly rehab the building's original facade to reveal the old brick. Here's a picture of the original building, possibly still hiding under the current Subway:

h/t ASU digital repository

Last edited by PHX31; Feb 17, 2016 at 4:05 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 5:25 PM

Wow that is awesome. Subway and that Vape Shop next to Cornish on the West need to do the same type of exterior work

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 6:48 AM

biggus and PHX31 - THANK YOU for posting those images! Somebody (it may have been you PHX) brought the idea of restoring a few generic downtown buildings back into their original facades 2 or so years ago, and this building was one of them. But, I could never find a photo to corroborate whether the existing structure was still indeed the original. WTF is wrong with the landlord and City? It really isn't up to Subway or the smoke shop to do such extensive remodeling that would likely just increase the property's value for the landlord and allow him to drive up their rent (right?). Roosevelt Row has gone from nearly 0% occupancy south of Roosevelt to nearly 100% and it has all been through adaptive reuse projects. Any smart landlord with a potential hidden gem would be foolish not to give restoration a thought, and the City should be facilitating this through a facade restoration program.

There are so many awesome aspects to this that it's both exciting and enraging (maybe not enraging but I can't think of a less dramatic word). It's exciting:

1) to see a Valley staple opening what is essentially a flagship space in downtown that is larger and offers more services than its burb locales
2) that they understand what makes downtown a draw (its history) and is leveraging it through an incredible design
3) that the block with the best bones left in place is morphing into the center of unique dining and nightlife: between Van Buren and Adams, 1st to 1st, there is: Hanny's, Melinda's Alley, Valley Bar, Icon Lounge, Seamus, Rice Paper (is that the name?), the cluster of small restaurants on Adams/Central, and Cornish Pasty (and both 111 Monroe and Orpheum Lofts on 1st Ave deserve mention), with Nook, The Union-ish market at US Bank, and the new retail at The Renaissance all definitely in the pipeline.
4) that maybe this renovation + The Heard might motivate some remodeling of the hideously altered buildings in between/adjacent (Valley Bar's building and the fast food strip on the corner)
5) that I think there still is room for one more tenant in this building just west of Cornish
6) that there is reasonable chances of the Stein-whatever Lodge adjacent to the HGI being renovated per the developers' word that they were planning something special for it

It's frustrating that a building with this potential has been a lame duck for so long and that a Subway and smoke shop occupy what could be two more multi-story businesses that draw people to this area (there are several nearby generic retail spaces for them though I am not advocating for their failure- it isn't their fault the landlord is dumb). It's frustrating that there are several retail spaces still vacant that are clearly not being aggressively marketed or priced appropriately: the two restaurants in the VB/1st Ave garage and 44 Monroe's retail space, for example. It's enraging that the most beautiful (IMO) historic building sits on this very block but has been wall off from the public by the County who occupy it (the Security Building). It's enraging that the City has failed so terribly activating their properties to the east along Adams. It's enraging that the Chase Plaza exists and that there either isn't a will or a way for the City to incentivize the owner into renovations. It's to think of what might have been with the St. James and Madison Hotels and the Luhrs Building had they stood.

This and the Renaissance's remodel are the most significant projects downtown, IMO. They aren't just cheap boxes of "luxury" rentals to fill a market that will eventually bust; they are commitments from long-time local businesses in making downtown Phoenix great. Considering that our last perceived "champion" of downtown is the one who knocked down the hotels on Madison, it's a huge deal.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 1:18 PM

/\yes, I've been really hoping there would be some facade rehabs, and a few are actually happening! I would bet some of the original details, such as those cartouches and minor curvilinear parapets on the (current) subway building were taken down when the new skin was put on, But there are actually little riser spots on the current facade, so maybe it's all still there. Anyway, here's hoping all is this private investment and momentum will bring about an official facade rehabilitation program.

Side note, the welnick arcade marketplace project is coming along nicely. They even found a small ghost sign. Check their Facebook page.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 12:24 AM

Looks like financing for the derby is in place and is hinging on the giplet, circles is not far behind. I really hope things don't crash before these guys start construction.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 4:38 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Looks like financing for the derby is in place and is hinging on the giplet, circles is not far behind. I really hope things don't crash before these guys start construction.
Any renderings on Circles available yet? Derby looks great. Can't wait for these to start.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 2:09 PM

How do you know financing is in place?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 2:13 PM

It should be clear to you by now from reading my posts that I know a lot of these guys through business.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 3:42 PM

-and Biggus diggis, we appreciate the insider info! Keep it coming, especially the good news!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 3:13 PM
BANNED

Cool thing is that they're going to two empty Fresh & Easy markets. Especially important is the 7th Ave. & Indian School location. It's only been closed a few months and thankfully will have a viable, good business there.

Natural Grocers plans Phoenix, Chandler stores

Colorado-based Natural Grocers said Monday it will open stores this year in Phoenix and Chandler, in addition to two Gilbert stores previously announced.

The two new stores will hire about 50 people, according to the company.

The company specializes in natural and organic food, supplements and personal-care items, competing with companies such as Whole Foods Markets and Sprouts Farmers Market.

In metro Phoenix, Natural Grocers has a store at Scottsdale Road and Thunderbird, and others in Prescott, Flagstaff, Sedona and Tucson.

The new stores will be at 655 W. Indian School Road and 5805 W. Ray Road.

Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage Inc. is a publicly traded company with shares on the New York Stock Exchange.

The stores offer guarantees, such as meat raised without antibiotics or growth promoters, and dairy sourced from confinement-free dairies. Natural Grocers was established in 1955 and has more than 2,700 employees and operates more than 100 stores in 19 states.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 4:57 PM

Another San Francisco tech company is opening a branch office in downtown Phoenix:

Quote:
Downtown Phoenix is landing another Silicon Valley technology startup.
San Francisco-based mobile app developer DoubleDutch announced this week it has picked downtown for its first branch office.

Workforce cluster, proximity and culture, those are the top three reasons rapidly-growing DoubleDutch picked Phoenix for its first branch location.

The San Francisco mobile application developer is putting a customer-facing office in downtown Phoenix. The address has not been disclosed because lease negotiations are continuing.

The company chose Phoenix for three key reasons: workforce cluster, proximity and culture, said president and CEO Lawrence Coburn.

“Proximity was important. We have a culture in our company where family is important, and wanted a location where going to the office was a day trip,” Coburn said. “I gave it a test run and boarded a flight at 6 in the morning, flew to Phoenix, had meetings, and was home in time for dinner with my family.”

Coburn said the company wanted a market within three to four hours of San Francisco. That narrowed their search.

DoubleDutch is a mobile software development company creating a mobile event application used by groups like American Express, major conventions and trade shows, and the Girl Scouts.

“(Arizona State University) was one of our first clients, so I had familiarity with Arizona,” said Coburn. “We even hired ASU interns and were very happy with performance.”

The company also required a workforce with customer-facing experience, Coburn said.

“Phoenix has that with 15,000 ASU graduates each year, and an existing pool of sophisticated workers in that group," he said.

DoubleDutch expects to hire hundreds at its Phoenix facility in the next few years, Coburn said, but it will start with 25 to 30 initially. Those first workers will handle sales and post-sale client support and training.

The startup also cited the vibe in downtown Phoenix, which also was cited by recent companies landing in the Valley's central core.

“We came in, walked around downtown, and really liked the vibe," said Coburn.

Good vibes in downtown Phoenix were called out by Gainsight when it picked the 111 W. Monroe building for its first out-of-state offices. The vibe was also in the forefront for Gabriel Partners selecting downtown for its western U.S. headquarters last month.

“We looked at the other urban areas, Tempe and Scottsdale, but felt that Phoenix had the urban flavor that fit who DoubleDutch is,” said Coburn.

“We’re looking for an urban culture, and that’s what we found in downtown Phoenix.”

Another factor was the availability of light rail. Company officials said its proximity was definitely a factor in the site selection. The new office is near light rail.

What also attracted the company to the Valley is the effort put forth by Greater Phoenix Economic Council and city of Phoenix to do the deal.
“Everybody worked really hard to make us feel welcome,” Coburn said. “Phoenix connected us with other tech CEOs, like WebPT.”

Coburn also said the fact that Phoenix is a new tech market made the downtown more appealing.

“Austin is at its peak,” he said. “We feel like we can be here and help Phoenix hit its stride as a burgeoning tech center. It has an ‘up and coming’ vibe.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...coming-to.html

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Another San Francisco tech company is opening a branch office in downtown Phoenix:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...coming-to.html
This is another great get for downtown Phoenix. I wonder where they will lease. Maybe HooverDam has more insight since he works a GPEC. Good work Hoover!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 8:41 PM

The City put out an RFP for the small irregular shaped piece of land on the SWC of Central and Camelback next to the metro train station.

https://www.phoenix.gov/financesite/...FP%20Final.pdf

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 8:48 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
The City put out an RFP for the small irregular shaped piece of land on the SWC of Central and Camelback next to the metro train station.

https://www.phoenix.gov/financesite/...FP%20Final.pdf
Glad to see some movement on this eyesore. It appears that the currently unused bus area between the vacant lot and the rail tracks is included. That's good. I hope the following wording will be construed to require some sort of pathway through the development from the SWC corner of Camelback / Central to the rail staiton:

"The incorporation of transit-oriented development (TOD) design elements is required
through regulations in the Downtown Code. In general, TOD means ensuring access
to and from the transit station is walkable and accessible through an environment that
is human-scaled. TOD provides a mix of compatible and complementary land uses
that facilitate transit ridership and provide streets that have a high level of connectivity
with small blocks and with buildings and uses that cater to pedestrians."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest