HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 2:46 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
And with globalization economically it’s cheaper elsewhere to produce raw goods!

The money required to clean up northern MB mine sites after companies walked away is staggering! The speNDP were in power for decades when these shuttered mines produced and did nothing or ignored the mess they were leaving behind!

The speNDP were in power and pushed hydro dams that flooded the north and uprooted communities and the livelihoods of those once living there….

Sure the north generated a lot economically but at what cost!

Manitoba and Manitobans were supposed to benefit economically from cheap electrical power but the speNDP managed to piss that away!
Yea they also screwed u minging when they took over exploration.. as for the mess that was a mixed bag.. these mine sites predated the laws on environmental and as a result industry does what it does farmes it off on a new company that trys and goes broke and then the gov gets stuck with it. Cons had role to play as much as the ndp.

As I write this I'm sitting in the middle of the old fox mine shop taring down our wtp paid for by tax payers with a new way that's cheaper and developed up here for dealing with these toxic lakes witch I specialize in. As a quarter billion of private money is being spent to finally cap the tailings that the province is not responsible for next to the mill site.

Lynn lake rutan Sheridan fox mill site are what the province is responsible for and we're all built by sherritt... rutan was hbms in the end that was weird how they were not liable. As they didn't go broke.

Ndp screwed things up. Then created new ideas that woulda worked if the cons hadn't come in with sever austerity in 79 80 causing massive brain drains and planning to be all thrown out that woulda ment a very different Manitoba today.

I get ur thinking but we need to start. Overall vision we can collectively build towards and have who evers in power insure that's built onto and maintained vs the flipping we keep doing witch then results in wastefully debt vs investment that pays for the debt in the long run

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 2:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Yea they also screwed u minging when they took over exploration.. as for the mess that was a mixed bag.. these mine sites predated the laws on environmental and as a result industry does what it does farmes it off on a new company that trys and goes broke and then the gov gets stuck with it. Cons had role to play as much as the ndp.

As I write this I'm sitting in the middle of the old fox mine shop taring down our wtp paid for by tax payers with a new way that's cheaper and developed up here for dealing with these toxic lakes witch I specialize in. As a quarter billion of private money is being spent to finally cap the tailings that the province is not responsible for next to the mill site.

Lynn lake rutan Sheridan fox mill site are what the province is responsible for and we're all built by sherritt... rutan was hbms in the end that was weird how they were not liable. As they didn't go broke.

Ndp screwed things up. Then created new ideas that woulda worked if the cons hadn't come in with sever austerity in 79 80 causing massive brain drains and planning to be all thrown out that woulda ment a very different Manitoba today.

I get ur thinking but we need to start. Overall vision we can collectively build towards and have who evers in power insure that's built onto and maintained vs the flipping we keep doing witch then results in wastefully debt vs investment that pays for the debt in the long run

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
There's kind of a weird feel to Stephenson's newest announcement about cutting the payroll tax. IMO all the "cut taxes/spend more" messages from the PC's make them sound more like an opposition party than the party that's been governing the province since 2016. Yes, Stephenson has only been Premier for a couple of years, but she this announcement feels like she's saying "the payroll tax wasn't an issue for the last seven years, but now it's a disaster".
Most of the PCs tax cut proposals are, simply put, asinine.

The talking point is that we are uncompetitive.

We have the lowest initial corporate tax rate in the country
Our PST is lower than every province east of us
We're one of 5 provinces that has a payroll tax
While our personal income tax rate is high at middle income, it's low at high-income

She claims we need to be more competitive with Alberta and Saskatchewan, but the highest number of out-migration is to BC and ON, and we're very competitive with them.

Nobody is moving their business here from another province due to the elimination of the payroll tax, and nobody is moving their business out of the province because we have a payroll tax. It's simply bafflegab for the rubes.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I am not a big Shelly Glover fan but she sure got screwed over and would likely have ran atleast a more credible campaign than Stefanson and she has more natural leadership skills than Heather and her duck and run campaign with promises written on napkins.
I'm just not sure having the Police union directly running the Province was a good move. Heather has been terrible as well, so not sure who'd be better.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 6:16 PM

I didn't mind Hugh McFadden in 2011 he seemed like a moderate red tory type who was friendlier than angry Heather.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I didn't mind Hugh McFadden in 2011 he seemed like a moderate red tory type who was friendlier than angry Heather.
Yeah Hugh was from the previous generation of conservatives where they actually talked about policy instead of just "woke woke blahh blah woke!!"

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 8:37 PM

No polls out since election call wondering when probe will do one ?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
Most of the PCs tax cut proposals are, simply

She claims we need to be more competitive with Alberta and Saskatchewan, but the highest number of out-migration is to BC and ON, and we're very competitive with them.

Actually, Manitoba still loses more inter-provincial migrants to Alberta, than any other province, as of 2021-22. The migration to BC is likely to drop, as BC is becoming unaffordable for the average middle class Canadian.

Many people from BC and Toronto are starting to move to Calgary, since they have been out-priced from living in their respective areas.

Manitoba out migration from other provinces (2021-22):

Alberta -6863
Ontario -6316
BC -5461
Saskatchewan -1690

Last edited by BlackDog204; Sep 15, 2023 at 9:48 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 1:56 AM

Quote:

While our personal income tax rate is high at middle income, it's low at high-income

Nobody is moving their business here from another province due to the elimination of the payroll tax, and nobody is moving their business out of the province because we have a payroll tax. It's simply bafflegab for the rubes.
Unless there's some internal polling which says otherwise, these micro-tax changes likely won't move the needle.

Manitoba is a high tax province. The highest income tax rate is 17.4% and it kicks in at a very low income threshold; only $75K; which is the lowest income threshold of any province for its highest rate. At $75K, the income tax rates in other provinces are: AB - 10%; BC - 7.7%; SK - 12.5%; ON - 9.15%.

Of the three territories, Yukon has the highest income threshold for its top income tax rate of 15%; $550K. For provinces, Newfoundland (surprisingly) has the highest income threshold for its top income tax rate of 21.8%; $1.059M. Alberta - 15% ($341K); Ontario - 13.16% ($220K); Saskatchewan - 14.5% ($142K). BC - 20.5% ($240K).

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 3:16 AM

^And then there’s Quebec where the lowest tax threshold is 14% with a 19% income tax for people making above $50k per year, and 25% for the highest tax bracket which starts at $120k…

Manitoba still has a long way to go reaching those numbers, and honestly if these higher taxes provide better infrastructure, childcare, and quality of life I bet a lot of Manitobans would be less hesitant paying more taxes. Especially considering our mayor just ran a platform with a annual 4% property tax increase to increase Winnipeg’s infrastructure budget.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
^And then there’s Quebec where the lowest tax threshold is 14% with a 19% income tax for people making above $50k per year, and 25% for the highest tax bracket which starts at $120k…

Manitoba still has a long way to go reaching those numbers, and honestly if these higher taxes provide better infrastructure, childcare, and quality of life I bet a lot of Manitobans would be less hesitant paying more taxes. Especially considering our mayor just ran a platform with a annual 4% property tax increase to increase Winnipeg’s infrastructure budget.
Quebec's income tax system is a different beast as it is decoupled from the federal system. As well, Quebec taxpayers receive a 16.5% abatement of their federal income taxes. Plus they have different credits and deductions than the other provinces. Can't really compare the marginal rates of Quebec vs. other provinces.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 12:52 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

tas hurt.

at peack in summer my gros is 7k per pay period and after taxs and cpp ei deductions i see around 2900-3200 it sucks specialy when the highways i gotta travel havent had any major work since the 70's and the workmanship is atrocious. hell the stretch from thompson to nelson house was done 3yrs ago and its worse then befor they redid it wth is up with that

and briges that have heaved so bad that if ur not paying atented u will snap ur struts bed rims ect

Old Posted Sep 17, 2023, 9:42 PM

Kinew and NDP announced today they will build $350 million dollar cancer care facility that pcs cancelled.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 2:33 AM

Quote:

What it does is help prevent existing businesses from pulling up stakes and moving to Alberta. Please explain why taxing employment is a good idea. Wouldn’t it make more sense to provide tax incentives to hire more people?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 4:11 AM

^sure, maybe eliminating the payroll tax is a good idea, but the PCs had the past 7 years to do it. It’s disingenuous, pure electioneering to announce this now and pretend there’s some new urgency that wasn’t there during the previous two terms that they governed the province. Bafflegab for the rubes, indeed.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 2:45 PM

Interesting piece from the CBC website today:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...roup-1.6968466

Of course one small focus group isn't necessarily reflective of an entire population, but it appears to show the "rural voter", or at least, voters outside the Winnipeg CMA, aren't as monolithic and unwavering in their support of the PCs as some have assumed (ok, as I have assumed!).

I don't think this will make too much of a difference in terms of election results, but I could be wrong. Only election day will tell.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 4:47 PM

first poll out since campaign started this one from research co not a well know firm compared to probe. very tight race on their end NDP 41 PCs 39. In Winnipeg NDP 46 PCs 37 outside Winnipeg results very surprising though PCs 40 NDP 39.

https://researchco.ca/2023/09/18/mbpoli-2023/

https://researchco.ca/wp-content/upl..._18Sep2023.pdf

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 3:09 AM

Pure lunacy to vote in a party led by a guy like Wab. In addition to the assaults, he is almost as unqualified as Trudeau, with a bench team as shallow as they come.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 3:07 PM

What really "qualifies" someone to be leader of a political party? I don't think there'a a formal list of qualifications set out by the party as one would see in any other job.

The way I think it should happen is that someone is elected who already has a knowledge of how the political system (including the bureaucracy) runs in their municipality, province and nation, AND has enough respect for their role within the system and the electorate not to exploit it for personal gain. IMO a good leader does not try to show-horn public policy to fit their personal or political perspective, but realizes that, at times, the perspective of the opposition may have more validity in any given situation.

What we tend to get, however, are popularity contests, first within the party, then with the general electorate. Life-long politicos who often can't imagine an existence beyond the confines of their particular clique, are elected to make decisions that balance the needs of the public with the desires of vested interests.

Of course the system requires an electorate that accepts the responsibility to be informed and active in the process.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&M40BELOW View Post
Pure lunacy to vote in a party led by a guy like Wab. In addition to the assaults, he is almost as unqualified as Trudeau, with a bench team as shallow as they come.
So you're voting for Lamont then??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan