HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
OUCH! Toronto to San Diego is a long flight too. Hope you had a good time in San Diego. Was it the same equipment back?
Unfortunately yes.

Air Canada seems to use Rouge anywhere where they expect that the passenger traffic is more vacation oriented rather than business oriented. I presume this is the reason why Charlottetown is being downgraded to Rouge.

Of course, not all traffic to "sun" destinations is tourism related. My own trip was a business trip (conference). Air Canada should realize this.

In any event, I was most displeased. I've learned my lesson though. The next time I fly Air Canada and I apprehend that Rouge might be a possibility, I will make sure to request "Rouge Plus" or "Premium Rouge". I won't fly steerage on Rouge again. That's for damned sure!!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:29 PM

Yeah, my trip to Vegas last year was on Rouge as well (from Toronto). Cramped seats, no entertainment unless you bring your own tablet (or rent their iPads) and all the rest of the fun elements of modern air travel.

For my vacation in 2016, I'm definitely looking into non-Rouge or upgraded Rouge options since my budget should have more flexibility then at least.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 12:25 PM

I had to fly Rouge from Montreal to Athens, Greece for work last year. I was fortunate because of our work travel policy that I was able to fly Rouge Premium (seated in the first row) so I had plenty of leg room, but the flight was still uncomfortable and it turned me off Rouge forever. I can't imagine sitting in economy on Rouge. Our work will no longer fly people on Rouge if there is another option available, even if it costs a little bit more.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 4:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

NewLeaf unveiling cheap Canadian flights from 7 cities today
Airline will start in seven cities offering rock bottom fares
CBC News Posted: Jan 06, 2016 10:36 AM ET| Last Updated: Jan 06, 2016 11:06 AM ET

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/newl...ount-1.3391546

One of the seven cities is Halifax. The only other eastern city is Hamilton. Most of the western cities are secondary destinations (Abbotsford, Kelowna, Regina, Saskatoon). The routing here is not obvious. If you were flying from Saskatoon to Vancouver, would you really want to arrive in Abbotsford? Similar to a Halifax/Hamilton run if the destination is Toronto. I predict this airline will be short lived......

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
NewLeaf unveiling cheap Canadian flights from 7 cities today
Airline will start in seven cities offering rock bottom fares
CBC News Posted: Jan 06, 2016 10:36 AM ET| Last Updated: Jan 06, 2016 11:06 AM ET

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/newl...ount-1.3391546

One of the seven cities is Halifax. The only other eastern city is Hamilton. Most of the western cities are secondary destinations (Abbotsford, Kelowna, Regina, Saskatoon). The routing here is not obvious. If you were flying from Saskatoon to Vancouver, would you really want to arrive in Abbotsford? Similar to a Halifax/Hamilton run if the destination is Toronto. I predict this airline will be short lived......
When Westjet began service east their hub was Hamilton. After they grew the business in the east to a point where Hamilton could not allow them to keep growing only then did they move to Pearson. I don't see any reason why this service is doomed to fail before it even gets off the ground. We in Canada continue to be gouged by the only 2 airlines we have. It will be nice to have a cheaper option. Just my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:51 PM

The article does say they specifically are picking secondary airports due to the cheaper airport fees; and as mentioned Westjet started with Hamilton as its hub. So they may be able to pull things off. If they can get through a year and show signs of growth, we could have a new Westjet growing.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 12:08 AM

According to news release YFC traffic grew 10% in 2015 with 350,000 passengers passing through. Believe this would challenge Deer Lake as the 4th busiest airport in Atlantic Canada behind Halifax, St John's and Moncton

http://www.frederictonairport.ca/Lat...rport-in-2015/

New terminal expected to break ground in 2016.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Saint John Airport Posts All-Time Passenger Record
(25 January 2016, Saint John, NB)
The Saint John Airport is reporting that passenger traffic for 2015 was up over the previous record which was set the year before.
According to Angela McLean, Interim President & CEO, “We’ve been working very closely with our primary airline partner Air Canada to improve the schedule and seat capacity from Saint John, and to establish equalized pricing between the three New Brunswick airports. When all of those factors are in place, there is no reason for local travellers to fly from anywhere other than Saint John.”
This, coupled with the tremendous season experienced by Sunwing Vacations, resulted in a great year for the Airport. Sunwing will soon be starting their tenth season from Saint John, with direct weekly flights and vacation packages to Mexico, Dominican Republic, and Cuba starting mid-February, as well as a new destination direct from Saint John – Orlando, Florida
http://saintjohnairport.com/

The post failed to mention the actual passenger numbers for 2015, which according to the airport's twitter post was 252,000. Hope to see this continue to increase a bit with the addition of the extra Sunwing flights to Orlando this year.

I also saw that Fredericton is getting an additional Westjet Encore flight, taking the service up to three times daily, which is great to see. Hopefully Saint John will also be included on Westjet Encore service expansions in the next few years.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 6:01 PM

look like the slowing down of the oil projects did not affect the numbers fom the bathurst airport this year, ridership is up by 2500, brigning it to 51 888

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...port-1.3419064

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 6:30 PM
New Brunswick booster!

So total airport traffic in New Brunswick for the big three would be over 1 million now. 350,000 for Fredericton 252,000 for Saint John and it's over 700,000 for Moncton probably? Stats for Moncton for 2014 were 677,000 and 647,000 for 2013.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
So total airport traffic in New Brunswick for the big three would be over 1 million now. 350,000 for Fredericton 252,000 for Saint John and it's over 700,000 for Moncton probably? Stats for Moncton for 2014 were 677,000 and 647,000 for 2013.
Adding in 50k for Bathurst and assuming you're numbers are right, that puts Airport traffic for NB in the 1.2-1.3 million range.

Even if growth is slowed due to the economy, I wouldn't be surprised to see us break 1.5 million by 2020ish. (Just off the cuff guess; it's a bit strange to realize that 2020 is less than 4 years away now...)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 6:42 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I wonder when will will get the offical Moncton stats for 2015? Soon I would assume.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
I wonder when will will get the offical Moncton stats for 2015? Soon I would assume.
I wonder what the stats would be for the Sussex International Airport? I know, I know.....I'll be dust in the ground before that ever happens!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
I wonder what the stats would be for the Sussex International Airport? I know, I know.....I'll be dust in the ground before that ever happens!
Even if the Moncton airport was in Berrys Mills or Sailsbury, it would be much closer and convenient.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 4:09 PM

Here's a couple of updates for St. John's International

The new runway system is finally complete allowing 700 more flights to land a year

The annual traffic is down slightly for the first time in 12 years (yay oil prices)

Metrobus is FINALLY looking at servicing the airport

Also, the Holiday Inn Express at the airport is just about complete

Quote:
New runway landing system completed at St. John's airport
The St. John's International Airport Authority says its new runway landing system has been completed on budget, and three months ahead of schedule.

"Other than the travelling public, the greatest beneficiary of the system is the economy," said the CEO of the airport authority Keith Collins at a ceremony Thursday to mark the occasion.
Officially, it's called the Airfield Accessibility and Safety Initiative — a $37.3-million job that's meant to reverse the airport's reputation for being inaccessible in the foggy season.

Over the past three years, a CAT III instrument landing system was installed, new LED lights were put on the runways and along the apron of the terminal building, and newer, taller approach towers were erected at both ends of the primary runway.

"The captains, they don't land based on what they see with their eyes, they land based entirely on instruments," said Collins.

"I'm sure they won't like me saying this but it's like a video game. You're looking at a screen, and the technology guides the aircraft to the centre of the runway."

The airport authority said 99 per cent of airplanes will now be able to land when visibility is poor, allowing an estimated 700 more flights and 70,000 to arrive and depart annually.
Heavy snow and strong northerly crosswinds can still delay flights, but Collins said fog has been the biggest reason for delays, diversions and cancellations in the past.

'Modest growth' predicted
Traffic is down at the airport, Collins admitted, for the first time in about a dozen years.

"We were down about four per cent over 2014. A lot of that is due to private charter traffic to northern Alberta, as tradespeople are no longer required," said Collins.

"We had some decline in our scheduled commercial traffic. We had the convention centre closed for all of this year in St. John's, as well."
Collins said the airport is predicting a modest growth in 2016, with the low Canadian dollar bringing both Canadians and Americans to tourism destinations like St. John's.

He said it will be easier to promote the airport to major airlines because of the new landing system.

In the meantime, work is underway to double the size of the airport terminal, a project that will continue until 2018.

"We are seeing a major increase in inquiries from the U.S. for travel," said Cathy Duke, CEO of Destination St. John's.

"The other thing is with our three new direct flights to Europe, we have begun marketing in the U.K. and Ireland."

Three groups have made bookings, after a recent trade show in Dublin, she said.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...onal-1.3423717

Quote:
St. John's airport discussing Metrobus service to terminal
The new runway landing system at St. John's International Airport is up and running to make landings easier, now travel to the terminal might get a little easier as well.

St. John's International Airport Authority President and CEO Keith Collins said Friday that his staff are in discussions with Metrobus about starting service to the airport terminal.

"Members of my team have been talking with Metrobus about the possibility of a Metrobus stop out here, I can't say where that stands," he said.

Collins also said that a bus route to the airport would benefit more than just travellers.

"We'd like that to be the case, we think that'll benefit employees here as much as it'll benefit passengers," he said.

It is expected that Metrobus service to the airport would cost a fraction of what taxi cabs currently charge.

St. John's Deputy Mayor Ron Ellsworth said a bus service to the airport would also make the terminal more accessible for people with disabilities.

"The airport authority also, under the UN Convention for Persons with Disabilities, have a requirement to provide accessible transit out of the airport, which has been a challenge for them also," he said.

"There might be some good opportunities to partner on some discussions."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...vice-1.3428427

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1099

WestJet adds to Toronto hub

Airline also enhances schedules for business travellers

CALGARY, Jan. 25, 2016 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced it will launch new non-stop service from Toronto to Nashville and Los Angeles as part of its 2016 summer schedule.

"We are excited about our schedule and connectivity out of Toronto", said Bob Cummings, WestJet Executive Vice-President, Commercial. "By this summer we will operate more than 120 flights per day from Toronto including new services to Nashville, Los Angeles and Boston in addition to our previously announced daily service to London, England. Building on our already strong connectivity into Toronto from across Canada is a key element of our strategy for profitable growth."

WestJet also announced enhanced schedules for business travellers with additional service from Toronto to Ottawa, Montreal and Fredericton as well as between Ottawa and Halifax. Starting June 15, 2016, flights operating between Toronto and Ottawa as well as Toronto and Montreal will operate 12 times each daily. Toronto and Fredericton will have a total of three daily flights as of March 5, 2016. Three daily flights between Toronto and Boston will begin March 15. With additional service between Ottawa and Halifax there will be a total of three daily flights between the cities as of March 5, 2016. These new flights offer greater flexibility for business travellers who want same-day return trips and more options during peak morning and evening travel periods. Flights are available for purchase starting January 31, 2016.

Said Cummings, "We look forward to offering guests more options in their travel schedules along with our recently enhanced Plus product, WestJet Connect and continued WestJet Rewards program improvements. WestJet is an attractive option for business travellers across Canada."

In addition to enhanced business travel schedules, new three weekly non-stop flights are being added between Vancouver and San Diego. Vancouver will also see additional service to Los Angeles, Honolulu and Maui while Toronto will see additional service to Orlando, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Myrtle Beach. Seasonal routes from Halifax and St. John's to Orlando will now operate year-round.

WestJet also announced a new non-stop route from Calgary to Thunder Bay. The addition of the Calgary to Thunder Bay service during the peak summer period provides a convenient option for those travelling to visit the lakes, landscapes and outdoor adventures the area offers.

By summer 2016, WestJet and WestJet Encore will operate approximately 4,590 flights per week to 101 destinations: 38 in Canada, 27 in the United States, 33 in the Caribbean and Mexico, and three in Europe.
WestJet is adding a 3rd daily flight from Halifax to Ottawa on March 5th. Halifax to Orlando is also going year round.

What's interesting is WestJet is simultaneously quietly dropping the Moncton to Ottawa route altogether on March 4th.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 11:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm not entirely surprised about this. Moncton/Ottawa was already being served by both Air Canada and Porter. I didn't think there was enough business there for WestJet too.

WestJet would have been better served by adding an Encore flight to Toronto, or perhaps Montreal. I've always thought a Toronto/Moncton/St John's route would be a popular one.........

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I'm not entirely surprised about this. Moncton/Ottawa was already being served by both Air Canada and Porter. I didn't think there was enough business there for WestJet too.

WestJet would have been better served by adding an Encore flight to Toronto, or perhaps Montreal. I've always thought a Toronto/Moncton/St John's route would be a popular one.........
I agree with that and I think on the east coast that Westjet is putting to much efforts in shoring up their Toronto Hub and I wish they would add more service either to Montreal and Saint John's out of Moncton to add some competition on those routes specially the Montreal one.

In my opinion I find that the Greater Moncton International Airport is way under-served when it comes to quality domestic, transborder, and International flights.

And the part that I hate trying to leave out of Moncton to go anywhere you need to go through Toronto and Montreal.

Thats my rant of the day.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 3:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I get the impression that the GMIA is in a bit of a rut right now. There hasn't been too much in the way of new service announcements out of the airport now for over a year. The ill-fated PASCAN adventure was a bit of a fiasco, and now WestJet is cutting their Moncton/Ottawa route.

Things are pretty much status quo at the GMIA as far as Air Canada and Porter are concerned, and the winter "sun" schedule remains about the same, but I expect that the yearly numbers (when they are released) will show a decrease in PAX compared to last year because of a decrease in charter service to Fort MacMurray as a result of the oil collapse.

I'm a little confused by WestJet. We still have daily 737 WestJet service to Toronto from the GMIA, and also seasonal WestJet service to Hamilton (ON), Orlando and Cancun (all using B737's), but at the same time the airline is aggressively expanding Q400 service between Fredericton International and Toronto Pearson. With the latest expansion, there will be 3X daily WestJet Encore flights between Freddy and TO.

One could argue that capacity and convenience are now better served by WestJet out of Freddy rather than Moncton. I wonder what's up with that?? I kind of expected the Encore Q400 service to be beneficial to Moncton, but so far that hasn't been the case. I wonder what future plans WestJet has for Moncton?

Personally I would trade 1X daily B737 service to TO for 3X daily Q400 service just like Freddy has. Convenience counts as far as connections are concerned.........

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 8:05 PM

I think a lot has changed in management at the GMIA over the last 18 months. Perhaps the new members of management are just getting their feet wet in their new roles. It does seem like there has been a lack of ambition since Rob Robichaud was at the helm. He was a true visionary and a go getter. Hopefully things start to turn around soon.

The Westjet thing is puzzling. However i dont think there is enough demand for 4 flights a day between Moncton and Ottawa with AC and Porter already entrenched on that route. I believe YUL/YQM would have been a better choice for them as AC is the only player on that route.

I personally like the comfort of the 737 service over the Q400 and use it whenever possible. Having said that the connection times to some flights offered by their codeshare partners makes it impracticable to use the service. I'm looking at an 11 hour layover in Toronto for a trip to Europe in the summer. I guess being in a small market like Moncton you don't get comfort and convenience. Its one or the other.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces